Texas Hunting Forum

Scope for .308 More than 100 yards

Posted By: mikebass78

Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/08/11 09:46 PM

hey guys, what power scope do you recommend or have on a 308.

For more than 100 yards, maybe even 200 or more. But lets stick with 200 for now.

I have a 4-16x40 On there now, which seems to be good for 100-110, I just think if i had a longer range it would be pretty hard to see the target.

Any thoughts.

TIA

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/08/11 09:53 PM

some snipers have used 10x scopes for 1000 yards.... 4-16 is more than enough for 200 yards

Posted By: NTRP

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/08/11 10:37 PM

If you have a 10X scope, looking at a target 1000 yards away through the scope; it is equivalent to looking at the same target 100 yards away with the naked eye. You've essentially made the target 10 times bigger, 10 times farther away (at that distance).

You don't need a whole lot of magnification. The rifle used on my One Mile Tower has a 20X Vortex Razor on it. If 20X is fine at 1760 yards, your 16X is plenty for 200 yards.

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/08/11 11:14 PM

Thanks a bunch guys.

Posted By: madfish80

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: tannerlst
some snipers have used 10x scopes for 1000 yards.... 4-16 is more than enough for 200 yards

+1

Posted By: TexasTransplant

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 04:40 AM

(I use a straight 4x on my model 70 in .308)

Posted By: piney woods hunter

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 05:02 AM

i just put a redfild revolution on my 308 4 by 12 /40 it seems more than enough for two hundred i plan on doind some long shooting in west texas out to 400 and maybe five have shot 300 with my 270 with a 3/9 / 30 conquest on it 4/16 should be more power than most of us can shoot.

Posted By: JThoele

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 07:31 AM

There is nothing short of extreme range targets and maybe long range prarie dogs that a 12x is not plenty of magnification. There is a reason the 3-9 is the most common scope. Lots of folks scoff at them in the same ways as some scoff at the venerable .30/06, because they are so common, and to some, kind of boring. Like the .30/06, the 3-9 rifle scope may have fancier more interesting alternatives, but at the end of the day it is hard to beat for versatility and can almost always get the job done. The craze for extrememe magnification scopes is just like the push for supermagnum deer rifles and tacticool weapons...none of which have done any justice for bettering the skills and fundamentals of shooting and, or hunting.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 12:12 PM

You have a 4x16 and are worried about seeing the target past 100 yards? Not to be a jerk but you come across as very green. Bigger magnification doesn't increase accuracy automatically.

As far as your query at what scope we own. I have a Burris FF2 3x9 on my 30-06, and my other rifles including a 308 have VX3 2.5x8's. Even the 2.5x8 is plenty to shoot 500 plus yards. A good peep sight would be plenty accurate for 200 yards.

Posted By: Shooter5645

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: mikebass78
hey guys, what power scope do you recommend or have on a 308.

For more than 100 yards, maybe even 200 or more. But lets stick with 200 for now.

I have a 4-16x40 On there now, which seems to be good for 100-110, I just think if i had a longer range it would be pretty hard to see the target.

Any thoughts.

TIA

If this scope was a leupold or Vortex Viper, then I'd say send it to their customer service as something is definitely wrong....

Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 02:21 PM

I have a 3:5x10 that I use out to 600 very easy

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 02:26 PM

Good quality optics (glass) trumps magnification from poor quality glass every time IMO. There is a 2X7 Kahles on my go to rifle that I have no problem seeing and hitting targets much further than I care about shooting game with that rifle. Run a 4X on a 243 and that works fine to 300 for me on deer and hogs

good quality glass in lower magnification optics trumps high magnification lower quality glass every time IMO.

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 04:41 PM

A persons eyes have some part of the equation too.

GLASS quality means a lot up

"I Can See Clearly Now!"

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 06:07 PM

We use 3-9x40 Burris on field grade 308's, very clear, durable, affordable, and effective. The Ballistic reticles are awesome for 150gr 308's too.

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 08:53 PM

Devildog Ur a moron.

Moving on...the extra input is appreciated thanks again guys. (except for devildog)

But yes, I did have laser surgery about 4 years ago. But it has worn off. Guess it's time for glasses again.

Posted By: watchale

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/09/11 10:31 PM

I like my 6-24x40. Maybe its just me but I sure shoot tighter groups than when I had a 3-9.

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 12:29 AM

Devildog Ur a moron.

Moving on...the extra input is appreciated thanks again guys. (except for devildog)

But yes, I did have laser surgery about 4 years ago. But it has worn off. Guess it's time for glasses again.

I'm the moron? I'm not the one asking if a hubble telescope power scope is good enough for anything over 100 yards like a total newb. Any competent shooter knows 4x16 is overkill for someone mainly concerned about distances <200. Try asking this question on a forum dedicated to shooting and see how much they laugh. I'd like to know your shooting credentials before calling someone you don't even know names. Oh that's right, you obviously don't have any judging by your aforementioned question when you started this thread. The person you're insulting might actually be an expert shot, have some good training, set a base record or two, and be willing to help....

I don't know, maybe suggesting a trijicon accupoint 3X9 if your eyes are supposedly going bad and the lighted triangle reticle will help . Or how about informing you that it doesn't really matter if you can't see the target clearly because you shouldn't be focused on it anyways. There's your advice free of charge.

If you can't handle the criticism, don't post asking for people's opinions.

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: tannerlst

Guess he's a moron too since he said pretty much the same thing as me.

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: NTRP
If you have a 10X scope, looking at a target 1000 yards away through the scope; it is equivalent to looking at the same target 100 yards away with the naked eye. You've essentially made the target 10 times bigger, 10 times farther away (at that distance).

You don't need a whole lot of magnification. The rifle used on my One Mile Tower has a 20X Vortex Razor on it. If 20X is fine at 1760 yards, your 16X is plenty for 200 yards.

Or what about this guy. Is he a moron too?

Posted By: LM1

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 01:46 AM

Ease up on him a little Devil. There are people that are new and not as comfortable shooting as you. You came across a little arrogant, thats all. Your advice is appreciated but not everyone is "The Base Record Holder!"

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: LM1
Ease up on him a little Devil. There are people that are new and not as comfortable shooting as you. You came across a little arrogant, thats all. Your advice is appreciated but not everyone is "The Base Record Holder!"

I did stress to him I wasn't trying to be a jerk......

Doesn't get much more diplomatic than that.

Posted By: LM1

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 01:56 AM

I am sure its all well Devil.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: watchale
I like my 6-24x40. Maybe its just me but I sure shoot tighter groups than when I had a 3-9.

that I donot doubt. Shoot some of my best groups with a cheap 6x24x40. That is target shooting in bright daylight. The OP is refering to hunting where often the game you are after is only seen early or late in poor light, under those conditions I will take a good 2x7 or 3x9 any time over my 6x24. Why I can see better with them.

Posted By: Canazes9

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: devildog28
Originally Posted By: LM1

I did stress to him I wasn't trying to be a jerk......

Doesn't get much more diplomatic than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA

Posted By: DRT1

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 03:36 AM

1st let me say a 4-16 pwr scope is plenty for shooting any distance you like,, i use a 4-14.5 on one of my rifles and shoot to 500 regularly w/ pretty good success, but if i am trying to shoot groups i like a higher magnification so that i can focus on the detailed spot of the target that i wanna shoot.. the saying comes to mind "aim small miss small" when the distances get further out its hard to "aim small" when you can't see the detail necessary to aim at the same small spot everytime.. another and maybe more important factor in shooting longer distances and being able to aim small is reticle,, a scope w/ fat reticle will get it done hunting but it will cover the whole quarter sized bullseye at 400 yds and you won't be sure if you are lft or rght, high or low of bull when you engage the target.
glass quality is also important take 2 scopes that i am familiar with for instance nikko stirling 4-16pwr, and a bushnell elite , the nikko's picture in bright sunlight will get me on target at all the necessary ranges but lets just say that the picture is awful and just barely gets the job done, while my bushnell elite in similar pwr ranges are far superior in their light gathering abilities, and produce a picture that is easy to see detail in look through both and trust me seeing is believing.. good luck

Posted By: DRT1

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 03:52 AM

annddd let me say, i don't think everyone needs a nightforce or swaro, but there is a huge diff in scopes and glass, my ranking on scopes isn't cmplt but these are some of the ones i will either buy again or would love to own
burris fullfield 2 and higher these sofar r really tough scopes
bushnell elite
nikon prostaff, buckmaster, **monarch ---no bdc reticles
leupold vx3 or higher
zeiss
vortex viper and razor and hd
sightron siii
schmidt bender, usoptics, etc, etc
Nightforce
prolly missing some but you get the idea..

Posted By: JThoele

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 01:43 PM

Devildog Ur a moron.

??? Had to re-read his post. He wasn't offensive, just stating the obvious. Advise often comes with a little criticism. Calling the guy a moron isn't really accurate based on the flow of this thread.

Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 02:01 PM

Coming to party late here, but I definitely think people need to keep in mind that not all shooters are at the same proficiency level first of all.

Secondly, it's my opinion that you should get as much magnification as you can afford from the best scope manufacturer you can afford. What that exactly means to you is solely a function of budget, how much your willing to spend, and whom you think is a good manufacturer.

Some guys, like Devildog, tend to have fairly high proficiency with a rifle due to things like military training and probably been shooting since he was "knee high to a grasshoppter." Some guys have just had those experiences. Other guys, like me, are still relatively new and love all the zoom I can get. I have 6-24x56 on my 22-250. Do I "need" that much zoom just to shoot 200-300yards? No, don't be ridiculous. Do I like to have that much? You bet I sure as heck do and I use most of the zoom most of the time too. I tell you what though, no one on this forum would refuse a 5-22x50 Nightforce NXS because they think you just don't need that much zoom.

It's different strokes for different folks. The main point is getting out there and getting trigger time. There is no substitute for that.

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
Coming to party late here, but I definitely think people need to keep in mind that not all shooters are at the same proficiency level first of all.

Secondly, it's my opinion that you should get as much magnification as you can afford from the best scope manufacturer you can afford. What that exactly means to you is solely a function of budget, how much your willing to spend, and whom you think is a good manufacturer.

Some guys, like Devildog, tend to have fairly high proficiency with a rifle due to things like military training and probably been shooting since he was "knee high to a grasshoppter." Some guys have just had those experiences. Other guys, like me, are still relatively new and love all the zoom I can get. I have 6-24x56 on my 22-250. Do I "need" that much zoom just to shoot 200-300yards? No, don't be ridiculous. Do I like to have that much? You bet I sure as heck do and I use most of the zoom most of the time too. I tell you what though, no one on this forum would refuse a 5-22x50 Nightforce NXS because they think you just don't need that much zoom.

It's different strokes for different folks. The main point is getting out there and getting trigger time. There is no substitute for that.

The difference in you and him is that you know you don't need the higher zoom. I wouldn't refuse a higher zoom scope either. In fact my next bolt action will probably have something like a 12x on it.

Posted By: dieselgeek

Re: Scope for .308 More than 100 yards - 10/10/11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: NTRP

Sums it up!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum