Texas Hunting Forum

my boy is ready for his first "real" gun

Posted By: crankin'_dave

my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:14 AM

Thought I'd get a few more suggestions here. My boy is 9 yrs old and ready for his first deer rifle. What would y'all suggest? Found a nice .243 at the Academy here in Temple and he said it felt ok in weight. It was a Rossi .243 synthetic stock with a decent scope. He's not little by no means but not huge. He's stout. What say y'all would be a good deer rifle?

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:18 AM

I'm gonna say 7mm-08 before BMD jumps in and says the same. Seems like I saw a nice Remington youth model 7 chambered in 7mm-08 on here the other day.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:25 AM

I'm just afraid of getting him "gun shy" and don't want to ruin this for him. Does the 7mm-08 kick more than a .243?

Posted By: UGA in TX

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:32 AM

Last year got my 9 year old a youth remington .243 at academy with a limb saver recoil pad and another recoil pad that goes in his shirt. A little overboard, but now that he got used to it, he loves shooting small groups from 100 yards. Never shot a gun before that one.

Posted By: JCB

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:33 AM

At 9 I think I would go with the 243. Personly I would go ahead and buy him a better gun than the Rossi though. Maybe a Tikka, Vangaurd, or even a Ruger or Remington if you want to spend even more money. Guns should last a lifetime so you wont even miss that extra money spent later on down the road.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
At 9 I think I would go with the 243. Personly I would go ahead and buy him a better gun than the Rossi though. Maybe a Tikka, Vangaurd, or even a Ruger or Remington if you want to spend even more money. Guns should last a lifetime so you wont even miss that extra money spent later on down the road.

up That's what I was thinking because my 3 yr old would be handed this gun once his time came and my 9 yr old moved on up. Gonna keep on searching then for a lil better gun in .243 then. Thanks JCB.

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:41 AM

If you get him a 7-08 and put a simms recoil pad on it he should be able to handle the recoil.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:44 AM

Forgot....the other thing I'm worried about is his arm reach. He's not that tall(for a 9 yr old) and his arm reach is a bit short. The Rossi seemed like a good fit but it could probably be a lil better. Is there anything I could do to accomodate that?

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: quackaholic1
If you get him a 7-08 and put a simms recoil pad on it he should be able to handle the recoil.

up If he still doesn't like that, then I just got me a new toy. grin

Posted By: L0N35T4R

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:48 AM

I agree with putting a little more money into the gun. It will last a lifetime...you hate for him to think in 10 years to himself "Dad bought me this POS rifle when I was young..."

And regarding his reach...he'll grow into it. Might not be perfect right now, but he's only going to get bigger. If it's tolerable and gets him shooting for now, I'd 'pull the trigger'

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: crankin'_dave
Forgot....the other thing I'm worried about is his arm reach. He's not that tall(for a 9 yr old) and his arm reach is a bit short. The Rossi seemed like a good fit but it could probably be a lil better. Is there anything I could do to accomodate that?

The Remington ADL youth model might be the answer to the reach problem. It has a shorter stock on it than the standard ADL and I think you can still get them for under $400 at Academy.

My favorite short gun is by far the Ruger Compact. It has a very short stock and a 16" barrel. Comes in 243 and several other short action calibers as well. Price is gonna be a little steeper though with used ones being around $500. Cant imagine a 9 year old not being able to handle that gun well though. Mine is actually a 308 and the gun does have more muzzle jump than any other 308 I have shot but recoil is about the same as any other 308. I would imagine the 243 would behave the same way.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:55 AM

That's true LON35T4R. He IS a growing boy.....AND eating me outta house and home. LOL

Posted By: BMD

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:13 AM

The muzzle blast from the compact ruger is bad idea for kids in my opinion, .243 is ok but with a 9th old boy go with the 7/08 youth Remington it has 12.5" length of pull and when he gets older you can yank it out and drop in b/c TI stock and have a nice rifle for years to come, don't cheese up on the scope the Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 is the perfect scope for youngsters with it's huge eye relief and good glass doesn't hurt either up the felt recoil on the 7/08 and .243 is approx 1lb more and loaded with 120 TSX it is an awesome combo for the kiddos.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD
The muzzle blast from the compact ruger is bad idea for kids in my opinion, .243 is ok but with a 9th old boy go with the 7/08 youth Remington it has 12.5" length of pull and when he gets older you can yank it out and drop in b/c TI stock and have a nice rifle for years to come, don't cheese up on the scope the Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 is the perfect scope for youngsters with it's huge eye relief and good glass doesn't hurt either up the felt recoil on the 7/08 and .243 is approx 1lb more and loaded with 120 TSX it is an awesome combo for the kiddos.

Sounds good! Looks like I'm going "gun huntin". thanks fellas for all the suggestions. up

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:26 AM

Good luck always fun getting the kiddos rifles. up and thank you for taking the time to spend with them doing what we love and passing on the tradition.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:29 AM

Good luck always fun getting the kiddos rifles. up and thank you for taking the time to spend with them doing what we love and passing on the tradition.

Thanks. It IS fun watching him in Academy looking at all the guns. Although he's REALLY interested in Compound bows too. Might need to buy him one of those too, but I think that'll wait for a lil longer. Don't think he has the patience to hunt with one, but it'd be fun to teach him how to shoot one. Can't wait for the yr I can take both my boys hunting with me. smile

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:32 AM

I am sure nothing like hunting with your kiddos, take lots of pics and videos it goes fast seems like yesterday Kacee started and that was 6 years ago smile

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:37 AM

that it does. Seems like yesterday(he was 5) when I taught him how to use a baitcaster. And now he's better with it than some adults! LOL

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:42 AM

Yep it goes by way too fast

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:46 AM

Thanks again. I really appreciate y'alls input.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:48 AM

that it does. Seems like yesterday(he was 5) when I taught him how to use a baitcaster. And now he's better with it than some adults! LOL

Long time no see primo . Hope all is well. up

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder

HEY deerfeeder!!! Everything WAS good till a couple of weeks ago. Started to get pains in my side to my stomach. found out I have gallstones and my gallbladder is gonna get removed. Got surgery Tuesday. And I start school Monday. Going for my Criminal Justice credits so I can go to be a Game Warden.

Posted By: AtxCityHunter

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 09:26 AM

i agree the 7mm 08 is a fine rifle but so is the 243 unless your planning on hunting large exotics or leaving Texas. might also consider a 30-06 with reduced recoil loads or a 270 same way. I shot my first pig with a 300 winmag at age 10 and I was a stocky kid. recoil wasnt that bad either and remember in the heat of the moment he wont feel it anyway. you can also get a good bench rest that absorbs recoil for sighting in and practicing.

Posted By: texasdude28

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 12:28 PM

I agree with JCB, lots of good advice on this site from obviously wise people.

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 01:53 PM

I think you're on the right track. A youth model 243. A common mistake (in my humble opinion) is getting a rifle that you think he can use for years. It won't fit him now, it won't fit him later, so just get the gun that fits him now. His first experience will likely determine whether he becomes your hunting partner or not.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder

HEY deerfeeder!!! Everything WAS good till a couple of weeks ago. Started to get pains in my side to my stomach. found out I have gallstones and my gallbladder is gonna get removed. Got surgery Tuesday. And I start school Monday. Going for my Criminal Justice credits so I can go to be a Game Warden.

Good luck with your surgery and may the Good Lord guide your surgeons hands. Don't forget to do your homework when you are in school. I have nothing but the best wishes for your success in your schooling. Necesitas ganas buey, con ganas vas a vencer!

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:38 PM

I see 2 options

#1- Remington youth 7mm-08 and take the stock off and put a 1-2 lbs of lead shot and use styrofoam packing to keep it from rattling around.

replace the factory recoil pad with a limbsaver and run 120gr. tsx bullets.

#2 I would go ahead and buy a rifle in .270,.308,30-06 youth and give it the same treatment that is mentioned above and run reduced recoil ammo in it. After all he probably wont be taking shots over 100yds.

With both options you can let him use it until he grows out of the stock which will probably be sooner than you think.

Then you can upgrade and get a good after market stock and a bottom metal kit, and as stated before if you buy a good Zeiss then you will never have to replace it.

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:40 PM

Reduced recoil 7mm-08

Posted By: helomech

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 03:45 PM

I got my son when he was 7 (I think) a Remington single shot in 7.62X39 and he and my oldest son has used it to take a few deer. Recoil is very light, and as long as the shots are 100 yards are less the gun is more than capable. They have been shooting the wolf 154 grain soft points.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 08:55 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! Still looking to find one that fits him and he's able to hold comfortably. It doesn't matter if he outgrows it, as his brother(who's 3 yrs old) will inherit it once his time comes and his cousin as well. It'll be put to good use for yrs to come. There's quite a few lil ones in mine and my wifes family for them to get use out of it. Gonna go with a .243 more than likely, but gonna go to a range and try the 7mm-08 for myself and let him squeeze a few off so we can decide if he'll be able to handle it.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/28/11 09:06 PM

from personal experiance, those rossi's are junk.

get him a good bolt gun that he can grow up with and when the time is right, either switch the stock or buy a new rifle.

nothing wrong with a 7mm-08, its not a beginner caliber, just happens to be lighter recoiling than some other rounds.

if you like ruger might also look into the 6.5 creedmoor

Posted By: EastTexP

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/29/11 12:05 AM

you know I don't see anyone saying this and lord knows I love my 7mm-08 but I started off deer hunting with an old marlin 30-30 that was and still is an awesome deer rifle, to me the 30-30 dont kick hardly at all, and they will drop just about anything you come across. That and I LOVE lever actions for some reason, and as a kid I thought it was the coolest thing in the world to be out hunting with my "cowboy rifle"

Posted By: tth_40

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/29/11 01:35 AM

My son started with an old Winchester 94 .30-30, and he will not turn loose of it.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/29/11 10:49 PM

I thought about that, but didn't think it'd have enough knockdown power for a big(er) buck and with his aim....LOL BUT, I do have time to help him get his aim down.

Posted By: silverphoenix

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 12:23 AM

I started out with a .22 and then got a .3006. The 3006 isn't too bad, but it does have a bit of recoil.

Have you considered 7.62x39 or perhaps 5.45x39? Ammo is cheap for practice, recoil is light in the 7.62x39 and almost non-existent in 5.45x39 and both will work well for hunting applications.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 01:15 AM

Never thought about those either. Great suggestions from everyone. Thanks. I just don't want too light of a gun and not enough knock down power, but yet not enough recoil to make him "gun shy".

Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 01:50 AM

I started with 30-06 when I was 8, yea it kicked more than my pellet gun but it'll drop anything you hit. I still shoot 30-06 to this day, by far my favorite whitetail round. I would go ahead and get him a good bolt 30-06 and let him grow into to it, if he's got a good rest length isn't an issue. From experience the only thing that'll make him gun shy is getting "scoped" and you can prevent through proper technique, just my $.02

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 02:09 AM

30-06 for a 9 year old = BAD IDEA

Just my opinion.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: NTXBowfisher
I would go ahead and get him a good bolt 30-06 and let him grow into to it,

yeah, might as well let him take a pull off a bottle of whiskey and take a pinch of snuff while he's at it

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 02:23 AM

Dave, have 2 7-08's and 2 .243"S and if you ever get to east texas I would be glad to let your son shoot any or all of them to see if he like them.

Posted By: furdown

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 05:04 AM

I think howa, if they still do it, had a kit to where you buy the barrelled action and get a youth stock and also get a full-size stock. I may be wrong but somebody did offer it before. A 243 is every bit enough gun for Texas, even elk are taken with it. Redfields have pretty good eye relief and they hold pretty good. Just make sure he is comfortable with the feel of the gun and don't give him anything to big to scare him. Stevens, savage, remmy, even marlins shoot pretty good, I would stay away from single shots unless it's a tc

Posted By: silverphoenix

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 08:04 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
30-06 for a 9 year old = BAD IDEA

Just my opinion.

No, a pump action 12 gauge with 3 1/2 magnum shells is a bad idea... been there, done that, ouch is all I can express...

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: quackaholic1
Dave, have 2 7-08's and 2 .243"S and if you ever get to east texas I would be glad to let your son shoot any or all of them to see if he like them.

I appreciate that. smile As for the suggestion from the other guy about the 30-06.....yea....I don't think so. Not with my boy...for now. smile My 30-06(remington) kicks worse than a mule. Ain't no way I'm getting him one at this early of an age.

Posted By: udamdan

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 09:04 AM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
My son started with an old Winchester 94 .30-30, and he will not turn loose of it.

30-30 is an excellent choice grin

Posted By: boonee

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 11:29 AM

My son killed his first deer at 9 he was small built back then. Savage .223 with a cheap 3x9 scope. set it on the bench, he was deadly with it, opening morning that year at 85yds. dead doe. then he started crying, I asked whats the matter? (I just killed one of Gods deers.) Yep you did! But what are we going to do with it? ( we are going to make breakfast sausage out of it) Yep, God said its ok, if you use it for food. He was fine after that. My .02 is get him something that fits now, then pass it down, get him some else as he grows. My sons gun collection is growing faster than mine. But now he is doing the buying.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

yeah, might as well let him take a pull off a bottle of whiskey and take a pinch of snuff while he's at it

rofl

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

rofl
rofl rofl up

I used a 30-06 once when I was younger ...its now and has been for 20years a safe queen.

Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 02:25 PM

+1 on the .243 up. He can use that for as long as he wants in Texas. I've got one (Remington 700) that I've had and used for over 35 years and still carry it out a lot. He won't be disappointed with it. Get a good one and it will last a long time.

Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 05:58 PM

I guess at least he's got a choice, when it was my first deer it was no option. Use grandpas WWII Springfield and kill that deer, didn't shy me away. Then again maybe it's just me.

Get him an AR, it'll kill a deer and everyone knows AR have zero recoil
peep

Posted By: Viking Armory

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 07:49 PM

Any interest in a Weatherby Vanguard Compact in 7mm-08 20" Barrel? I just had one come back on a return. I shipped it to New Mexico and the guy got a "deny" so it came right back. Looking to dump it for $400 otd (add $10 if you need it shipped), normal price would be around $440

Posted By: Rebel.

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/30/11 09:33 PM

That's a good deal, and Kjeil is great guy to do business with.

Posted By: Jim Davis

Re: my boy is ready for his first "real" gun - 08/31/11 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Viking Armory
Any interest in a Weatherby Vanguard Compact in 7mm-08 20" Barrel? I just had one come back on a return. I shipped it to New Mexico and the guy got a "deny" so it came right back. Looking to dump it for $400 otd (add $10 if you need it shipped), normal price would be around $440

I have one of these. It's a great gun and accurate after you float it. Mine likes the 140 gr ballistic silvertips.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum