Texas Hunting Forum

scope ring lapping

Posted By: Mfloski

scope ring lapping - 07/25/11 07:57 PM

when lapping scope rings, do you try to get COMPLETE contact, or is 80-95% good?? the sides at the split seam like it could take a lot more than i am comfortable to get them making contact.

Posted By: fastliberator

Re: scope ring lapping - 07/25/11 08:14 PM

80-95% is very good contact, I would not puch your luck trying to get more.

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: scope ring lapping - 07/26/11 03:59 AM

You know that lapping rings is no linger suggested and it also voids some manufacture warranties of the rings.

Posted By: Mfloski

Re: scope ring lapping - 07/26/11 10:39 AM

why would it be no longer suggested but every gunsmith offers it as a service? besides voiding a warranty, whats the negative impact??

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: scope ring lapping - 07/26/11 04:07 PM

Alot of the cheap rings have burs on the inside not being a 30 mm ring. And in order to get the burrs out of the ring is why they lap them. With companies like Badger, Seekins, TPS, and ect.. It is not necessary to lap them.

Posted By: Koenig

Re: scope ring lapping - 07/27/11 02:15 AM

DNZ mounts claim to not need lapping too.

Posted By: tth_40

Re: scope ring lapping - 07/27/11 02:24 AM

I lap every set of new rings I install. According to the alignment tool that I have, about 90% of them needed it. Less stress on the scope body. It only normally takes a few minutes, so I figure why not? It doesn't just depend on the rings, it also hinges on how well aligned the holes are drilled and tapped into the receiver and how well machined the bases are. Lots of variables there.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum