Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite home defence shot gun?

Posted By: t george

Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 02:53 AM

I know everyone has their favs so tell me what you like and why?

I am looking for somthing to keep around the house. from you experiance what are the pros and cons of you shot gun of choice?

I like 870's but I am not a fan of the finish on the new ones...

mossberg, rem, win, ect???

Posted By: KC

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:01 AM

I have an 870 SuperMag, just got it a couple weeks ago. I really like it, the 870 is a proven action. This one was given to me, but if I were going to go out and buy a shotgun for the purpose of HD I would find a 70's era Wingmaster and use that as a base. They can be had for around $250-300 depending on condition and are very well made. I have a '72 model that has been very lightly used, the action feels like snot on ice grin up

I understand the Ithaca 37's are some of the best on the market, manufacturing wise.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:06 AM

i used a 20 gauge coach gun loaded either with #4 buck or high brass #4's.

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:11 AM

If I had the money or a real need for one it would be a Scattergun Technologies 1187 14" !

Benelli M1 second

Posted By: mahoro_su

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:13 AM

i like my 870

Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:15 AM

I like Winchester 1300 defenders. Fastest actions and there controlled feeding lets you shoot those mini shells too. Pretty cool.

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies
I like Winchester 1300 defenders. Fastest actions and there controlled feeding lets you shoot those mini shells too. Pretty cool.

had one of those at one time and really did like it, may have to pick up another If I can find one at a good price...

How do yall feel about pistol grip vs. stock

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:46 AM

I don't see the benefit of a pistol grip shotgun. Pistols come with pistol grips, shotguns come with stocks...

The 1300's action seems smoother than just about any pump I've ever handled.

Posted By: gbeard

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:48 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wg1pFNwTOE

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: KC
I don't see the benefit of a pistol grip shotgun. Pistols come with pistol grips, shotguns come with stocks...

I felt that way until I used a Benelli M1.

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:51 AM

lol yeah an aa-12 would be cool, but I bet that drum mag is a heavy sob!

my 1300 had a stock, but always thought it would be nice to have 8 rds of 12ga in a gun that could be hauled in a back pack

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:54 AM

I guess you could do some sort of rail mounted laser. The problem with a pistol grip is that you lose all of your sighting ability and it is still very easy to miss with a shotgun. It's not a "point it in the general direction" weapon, you still need to aim.

Posted By: Payne

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Brandon972

I felt that way until I used a Benelli M1.

Just curious, what did you use it on?

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 04:01 AM

Oh wait, I though you meant pitol grip stock... No I dont like just a pistol grip...

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Payne

Just curious, what did you use it on?

Whatever the hell I want !! You would do good to remember that... slinger

roflmao

Posted By: narphenal

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 04:03 AM

I understand the Ithaca 37's are some of the best on the market, manufacturing wise.
I love my 37. Just need to send it in for a complete restore.

Posted By: narphenal

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 04:07 AM

I prefer a field stock on pump actions, but when it comes to Semi Autos(except trap/skeet guns), pistol grips just work so well. (Mainly Benelli M(x) series of shotguns.

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 04:14 AM

somthing that I had not thought about was pump vs semi-auto for a defense shot gun do yall like pump over autos? a nice short semi-auto with pistol grip stock might be just the ticket, but I am sure that the pumps are probably just as useful and much more affordable...

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 04:34 AM

Ithica Model 37 12 gauge

They are bottom ejection and load shotguns which is great for a couple reasons. First it makes the action/receiver stronger as there is no ejection side-cut, It's a truly ambidextrous shotgun as it eject from the bottom so right or left handed shooter can use the gun without brass flying across the face.

Another great thing is it was designed by probably one of the best weapons designers we will ever see walk this earth John Moses Browning Originally designed for Remington, Ithica started production when the patents expired in 1937 hence the name.

Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 05:16 AM

I'm happy enough with my mossberg, mostly because it was free. I love the old browning my grandpa has for his hd shotgun though.

I think I'll always go with pump over auto for hd... that sound alone is enough to make most people turn and run outta your house.

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 12:29 PM

I have no problem with pistol grip stocks, I believe the op was referring to pistol grips without a buttstock.

Posted By: tth_40

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/11/11 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Ithica Model 37 12 gauge

They are bottom ejection and load shotguns which is great for a couple reasons. First it makes the action/receiver stronger as there is no ejection side-cut, It's a truly ambidextrous shotgun as it eject from the bottom so right or left handed shooter can use the gun without brass flying across the face.

Another great thing is it was designed by probably one of the best weapons designers we will ever see walk this earth John Moses Browning Originally designed for Remington, Ithica started production when the patents expired in 1937 hence the name.
Good stuff right there. cheers

Posted By: Brandon82

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/13/11 01:00 AM

870 or Mossy 500

Posted By: Hellonwheels

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/13/11 01:07 AM

Remmington 1100 loaded down with buckshot under the bed, 1911 by the night stand, 870 in the corner with slugs. And if ya happen to get away and are runnin down the street with my stuff, Savage 110 7mm topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200. Here robber robber robber, cmon boy

Posted By: slayden457

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/13/11 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Hellonwheels
Remmington 1100 loaded down with buckshot under the bed, 1911 by the night stand, 870 in the corner with slugs. And if ya happen to get away and are runnin down the street with my stuff, Savage 110 7mm topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200. Here robber robber robber, cmon boy

nice!

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/14/11 02:46 AM

moss 500

Posted By: fastliberator

Re: Favorite home defence shot gun? - 07/14/11 04:07 AM

One that ges BANG when I pull the trigger!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum