Texas Hunting Forum

Since we are on an AR kick...

Posted By: Judd

Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/10/11 11:58 PM

Which one is the most accurate? What features make them accurate over the others?

For example, I talking true sub-moa accuracy out of a semi.

Just curious more than anything.

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 12:02 AM

Wow

Posted By: narphenal

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 12:02 AM

Really, the barrel + ammo is the most important part. A rifle length gas system helps too. Get a good 1:7 Stainless Steel Barrel with match grade ammo, be decent with a rifle, and you can be sub MOA.

Posted By: jkmccoy11

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 12:36 AM

also depends on caliber and ammo selection

Posted By: JWP58

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 12:47 AM

shooter

Posted By: FootAndAHalf

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 01:39 AM

So I'm a rookie, whats MOA

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: FootAndAHalf
So I'm a rookie, whats MOA
It is Minute of Angle, it is a way of measuring accuracy. Even though it more more complicated, basically 1MOA=1 inch group at 100 yards.

If you shoot sub MOA, you shoot less than 1 inch groups at 100 yards. It also translates up. 1 MOA = 2 inch groups at 200 yards, 1/2 MOA = 3 inch groups at 600 yards, 4 MOA = 4 inch groups at 100 yards.

Posted By: gbeard

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 01:48 AM

There are lots of very accurate ones out there. Its tough to say which one is the MOST accurate though.

Posted By: FootAndAHalf

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 01:49 AM

wow..ok..thanks!

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: FootAndAHalf
wow..ok..thanks!
You're welcome.

Posted By: quartierleblanc

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 01:55 AM

Weapons like High Power match rifles are very different from carbine weapon systems and carbines for match are different from shtf weapons. It's the beauty of the AR platform.

Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: JWP58
shooter

This. I sold my best friend my old V match, which was very accurate for me. He told me it wasn't grouping for him. He was dragging the wood, and not letting the trigger reset. After a couple minor corrections in his shooting habits it was grouping good for him.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 03:28 AM

Okay, I was curious...my buddy said I needed to look hard at the R15 instead of building something cut from a DPMS mold/copy.

So I was just feeling out what your opinions are/were.

Thanks...come on Brandon nuts

Posted By: TDK

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 03:33 AM

Im dissapointed Judd...an AR15?

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Okay, I was curious...my buddy said I needed to look hard at the R15 instead of building something cut from a DPMS mold/copy.

So I was just feeling out what your opinions are/were.

Thanks...come on Brandon nuts

If your serious call me and Ill try and help you out ! up

I really thought you started the thread as a joke ! roflmao

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 05:14 AM

Judd has funnies?

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 05:15 AM

Dont know bout him having funnies but he sure the heck is funny looking !

bolt

grin

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 02:28 PM

I have no funnies...pretty dull grin

Hard to argue with the funny looking, wish I could wink

TDK - I think there is going to be a time where we can't buy them again. When that time comes I would like one in the safe.

Posted By: K.P

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 04:17 PM

Judd I would look into the Colt 20" HBAR upper. I can shoot 5 shots and cover them up with a dime at 100yds. Thats with Hornady ammo, the cheap surplus stuff is 1"to 1.25" MOA. I usually shoot the 62 gr Surplus stuff but it's nice to know it will shoot sub MOA. I picked this upper up for around 500. If you want to get behind it and shoot it, you are more than welcome.

my .02

( I also have some spikes stuff and DPMS, good stuff but does not compare to my HBAR )

Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 08:25 PM

Quote:
If you shoot sub MOA, you shoot less than 1 inch groups at 100 yards. It also translates up. 1 MOA = 2 inch groups at 200 yards, 1/2 MOA = 3 inch groups at 600 yards, 4 MOA = 4 inch groups at 100 yards.

4 MOA = 40 inches at 1000 yards. 1 MOA @ 1000yds = 10 inches

Posted By: dieselgeek

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: K.P
Judd I would look into the Colt 20" HBAR upper. I can shoot 5 shots and cover them up with a dime at 100yds. Thats with Hornady ammo, the cheap surplus stuff is 1"to 1.25" MOA. I usually shoot the 62 gr Surplus stuff but it's nice to know it will shoot sub MOA. I picked this upper up for around 500. If you want to get behind it and shoot it, you are more than welcome.

my .02

( I also have some spikes stuff and DPMS, good stuff but does not compare to my HBAR )

I'd like to see 5 shots w/ a colt in a dime sized group.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 09:03 PM

Thanks KP, I appreciate the offer. I have heard Colts have some "special" type stuff that isn't MilSpec????? Yours sounds like a shooter though.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: dieselgeek
Originally Posted By: K.P

my .02

I'm sure you would. Maybe if we're ever at the range at the same time you can walk over and take a look. I was shocked the first time I was able to do it, I was just as shocked the second time. I am not an expert but the gun will shoot sub MOA no prob.
I'll send you a picture next time I take her out.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/11/11 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: dieselgeek

Ever shot one ? That 20" Hbar Colt is an absolute tac driver ! This was my first AR bought back during the ban and man that thing was accurate !! I dont doubt for on second it will hold dime sized groups !! up

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 12:32 AM

I dunno Brandon, that putting the HBar as it comes out of the box to something it's not really made for. You'd need a less than .65 inch group for a dime to cover. The HBar is a nice out of the box High Power rifle and you might win with it, but you're not going to beat the big dogs. You're pushing a chromed barrel with an even number of grooves and an OK but not great trigger. You might get an exceptional rifle and I think one version has a crowned barrel, but it's really pushing what a HBar is capable of. The guy says he just had the upper so he probably has a match trigger on the loswer and I'd guess if it shoots the way he says he's got a stainless crowned match barrel on the thing.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 01:31 AM

Say what you will but I can tell you from experience those HBar Colts are capable of that accuracy.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: quartierleblanc
I dunno Brandon, that putting the HBar as it comes out of the box to something it's not really made for. You'd need a less than .65 inch group for a dime to cover. The HBar is a nice out of the box High Power rifle and you might win with it, but you're not going to beat the big dogs. You're pushing a chromed barrel with an even number of grooves and an OK but not great trigger. You might get an exceptional rifle and I think one version has a crowned barrel, but it's really pushing what a HBar is capable of. The guy says he just had the upper so he probably has a match trigger on the loswer and I'd guess if it shoots the way he says he's got a stainless crowned match barrel on the thing.
I've seen HBARs go sub MOA quite a few times.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 01:48 AM

Didn't say it couldn't happen but it would be pushing it to do it on a consistent basis out of the box. Do you think the trigger is that good? You know 'em as good as anybody.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 02:24 AM

Honestly those rifles are known to be shooters and that type of accuracy from them out of the box is common even with the mil spec FCG. Is there room for improvemnet in the trigger ? Absolutely ! That doesnt mean they wont perform the way described out of the box.

The very first FCG I ever messed with was on my Colt 20" HBar.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 02:53 AM

Didn't say it couldn't happen but it would be pushing it to do it on a consistent basis out of the box. Do you think the trigger is that good? You know 'em as good as anybody.
I actually like the trigger in the AR. As long as it isn't a DPMS, the triggers are usually smooth. Granted, it isn't a target trigger, but it'll do some work.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 03:32 AM

Which one is the most accurate?

From what I've shot B972's creations.

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: devildog28
Which one is the most accurate?

From what I've shot B972's creations.

Appreciate it but it helps to have a good shooter behind them as well ! I was really impressed with the groups you were getting ! up

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 06:33 PM

Do you think the trigger is that good?

Mine has had some trigger work.......

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Since we are on an AR kick... - 07/12/11 08:45 PM

My Colts are all MOA at 100 and 200. Haven't tried much beyond that with AR's, but they open a little at 300 what little I have tried. The 20inch AR-15A2 Sporter II pre-ban will out shoot the M4's.....

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum