Texas Hunting Forum

Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart?

Posted By: tth_40

Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 05:17 PM

I just got back from my weekly trip to the local Mosh-Mart (Wal-Mart) and had an interesting conversation with one of the Sporting Goods Department managers. He stated that Wal-Mart is gearing up to bring rifle and shotgun sales back into Texas stores and will be determining a kick-off date within the next 30 to 60 days or so.

Has anyone here heard anything that can confirm this information?

Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 05:23 PM

Don't know about the time line, but it is true. There was a note about it in the most recent American Hunter. If I remember correctly it was some, but not all stores.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoutdog
Don't know about the time line, but it is true. There was a note about it in the most recent American Hunter. If I remember correctly it was some, but not all stores.

x2. They never 100% quit sales. They've always sold them here in the 'Hatch. The way it was is they only sold them in varying stores, as in not w/in 20-30 miles of each other.

Posted By: justwes

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 05:47 PM

They also always had the "catalog" if they don't have the guns in cases you should still be able to order from the catalog I know that people do in the Ennis store even though they haven't had guns in store in quite a while

Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 05:49 PM

Never knew they left! Sulphur Springs, Mineola and Quinlan have always had them. scratch

Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 06:00 PM

I hope the bring something back to one of the three stores in the Lewisville area.

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
I hope the bring something back to one of the three stores in the Lewisville area.
Same here in west Fort Worth.

Posted By: gogburn

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 06:38 PM

They sell guns at the Graham and Bowie WalMarts.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 07:47 PM

Only one that still sells guns around here is the Rockwall store.

Posted By: scot

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 07:50 PM

I believe the story was posted a while back here and they commented they were reducing electronics and increasing outdoors as some walmarts service all hunting needs so they were trying to appeal to that a bit more.

Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Only one that still sells guns around here is the Rockwall store.

I have ordered a few guns from the Rockwall store. Mellissa is the dept manager and is patient to sit and go through the big book with ya and call on prices. Also printed out an internet ad and she matched the price.

Posted By: matt bohac

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 08:02 PM

the taylor store put guns back in the store about 2 weeks ago. even had a mini 14.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Justwingem
Never knew they left! Sulphur Springs, Mineola and Quinlan have always had them. scratch

+1

Posted By: 4X4FOREVER

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 08:53 PM

Marshall, Gilmer and Longview never stopped selling them.

Posted By: kagomez85

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 09:02 PM

All the stores in Tlyer have always sold guns all three

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 11:04 PM

Already got 'em stocked here in Azle. Counter guy said more to come and they will probably order for you too!

Posted By: LG

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 11:24 PM

Wal-Mart in south Denton has guns!

Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/24/11 11:40 PM

Some stores here in SA have quite a few rifles. Within about 15 miles of each other, I can think of two. Good to hear though, now if they could only do something about the ghetto people flooding their stores.

Posted By: Savage388

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/25/11 02:18 AM

I remember Wally World selling handguns way back in the day.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/25/11 02:29 AM

I bought my First Pistol at a Wally world back in 1989. S&W Model 66 Stainless with a 6" Barrel. The first and only "Hog Leg" I own. Fun to shoot but not good for much of anythign else.

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/25/11 05:46 PM

Sherman store has had them all along too.

Posted By: jeepman3366

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/25/11 07:42 PM

Temple Belton and Killeen sell guns

Posted By: WEBBYODER

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/26/11 05:01 PM

It was always a purely financial decision. If they sold a lot of guns, they kept them. If a particular store didn't sell a lot, they used the space for something else. It is all about money.

Posted By: Mfloski

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/26/11 07:02 PM

My local Walmart didn't care guns since the day they opened....but all of a sudden a few weeks ago a gun cabinet was installed with a nice little selection! They had a youth .243 rem 700 with a crappy little scope for 360.00, thinking about the wife and shortly my son.

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/26/11 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: WEBBYODER
It was always a purely financial decision. If they sold a lot of guns, they kept them. If a particular store didn't sell a lot, they used the space for something else. It is all about money.

It was a little more in depth than that, I was still working AP/LP for them when a lot of this came down the pipes. It was Risk vs Reward most stores did not hire the most competent people to sell guns, further that with lack of education from ground level through management and lack of staying in compliance with State and Federal Regulations. It was deemed if a store did not make X amount on Firearms Sales it was not worth the risk of getting popped for violations and having to pay fines and or surrender the FFL. So they stopped selling in most of the Metroplex stores although it really never affected More rural Stores
Originally Posted By: Savage388
I remember Wally World selling handguns way back in the day.
Again driving factor of Risk vs Reward handguns mean more compliance and regulations to keep up with, the Fact that a Waco Area Store sold a Glock 19 to David Keresh and completely fubared the 4473 did not help for the argument to keep them.

Posted By: hawk

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/27/11 03:25 AM

We have two Walmart stores in San Angelo. One (south side) has always sold guns. The other one (north side) did not until very recently. I was in last week and noticed they had a cabinet full. I'm glad to see this! happy3

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/27/11 09:31 AM

AP/LP ? I assume you are talking about Asset Protection / Loss Prevention ?

My first LP job was at the White Settlement K-Mart off CHerry Ln. I bought many guns well under "cost" because they never sold. Most were cheap stuff but I got a Mossberg 500 with wood furniture for $28 and a Mossberg 9300 with synthetic furniture for $76 !! clap

Unless Wally World was teh only place around, Id prefer to spend my money some place else...

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/27/11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon972

My first LP job was at the White Settlement K-Mart off CHerry Ln. I bought many guns well under "cost" because they never sold. Most were cheap stuff but I got a Mossberg 500 with wood furniture for $28 and a Mossberg 9300 with synthetic furniture for $76 !! clap

Unless Wally World was teh only place around, Id prefer to spend my money some place else...

Yeah they changed out title 3 or 4 times in 12 months I worked for them. I got some hella deals on guns and reals when I worked for them, purchased some Remington 870 super-mags for 150.00 and 2 700 youth ADL's for 275.00 and several High in Shimono Diawa Reels for like 15-25 Dollars.

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/27/11 03:18 PM

Yeah before the Cherry Ln KMart closed its doors we were, loss control, asset protection then back to the original loss prevention in less than 8 months.

Our sporting goods manager found several large boxes of fishing gear from years and years earlier that never got put on the shelf in the back of the stock room. Tons and tons of Rapala, Strike King and H&H baits lots of line and all kinds of other stuff. He asked me what he should sell them for as they were no longer in the system. I told him I had no idea what it all was worth, Id guess 2k in retail value, but Id give him $50 a box. Cleared it with the store manager and I stocked me my friends my friends friends up with fishing stuff for years ! roflmao

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/27/11 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon972

Heck YES!! I used to buy ammo there all the time when they were still open..YEARS ago. Now there's an Academy there. I still live down the street. cheers

Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Rifle Sales Returning To Wal-Mart? - 06/27/11 08:12 PM

I was told that with the addition of long guns some of the store will begin carrying pistols and some may carry reloading supplies in the future. I ask one of the guys I know at the local store and he said he could not verify that information.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum