Texas Hunting Forum

S&W M&P15 Sport

Posted By: kdmason

S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/12/11 04:08 AM

Fixing to go get me a Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport.

Somebody please tell me why I shouldn't....

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/12/11 12:28 PM

no dust cover no forward assist

Posted By: J. Riekers

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/12/11 01:51 PM

I have one and use it extensively. In 20 yrs of messing with AR platform I have never use the forward assist. The dust cover does it's job in an extremely dirty environment but as soon as the shooting starts it is open and stays open. I don't miss either for the price of this rifle. The only consideration is that with the tall front sight tower you will need a riser or high mount to put optics on it that give a clear view or co-witness. Mine has never had a hiccup and is extrememly accurate with 64 gr ammo. I recommend it!

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/12/11 04:11 PM

Never used the forward assist either but I have it if I need it! What are you gonna pay for it?

Posted By: Old_Town

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/12/11 06:45 PM

It's hard to beat a Spike's Tactical M4LE for $700.

Posted By: fgdn

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/12/11 08:33 PM

i picked one up here awhile back when cabelas had them on sale.

there is no good reason not to buy one. i'am quite happy with the one i got. and think you will be also

as far as the dust cover goes, you will not miss it. doesn't effect the way the gun shoots. thats kind of like putting rims on your car doesn't help the ride any, to some it just looks good.

and as stated above how many times is the forward assist actually used.

get one, have a good time.

Posted By: JCB

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/12/11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: fgdn

You will need it the most at the worst possible time. Rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/12/11 09:28 PM

I have used my forward assist

Posted By: tth_40

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/13/11 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Originally Posted By: fgdn

You will need it the most at the worst possible time. Rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Words to live by. cheers

Posted By: watchale

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/13/11 01:52 AM

If you like it, buy it. I have found out the hard way to buy what I really want and not settle for a gun that's almost what I want.

Posted By: quartierleblanc

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/13/11 03:56 AM

You'll never need a forward assist except for a chamber check. It's always better to clear a bad round and keep the weapon functioning. Here's a bit of history. A major reason the forward assist was developed was to easily chamber a round after the weapon had been submerged.
Back to the M&P Sport. This is a cheap version of the standard M&P tactical. The originals like I have were essentially made by Continental Machine and Tool. They were mil spec except for the barrels which were 4150 steel but 1:9 twists and chromed bore and chamber. They had a F marked Front sight and a Troy rear BUIS. Smith was only the assembler. Sometime in 2010 Smith took over all manufacturing from CMT which provided the technology under license. What you're getting with the Sport is a much cheaper rifle. No forward assist and no dust cover. ( Do you really need it?) Then it gets interesting. The Sport has a chromed key and carrier but a non-chromed chamber and bore. ( This is not good) with 4140 steel. It also dispenses with the Troy BUIS and uses something else. It doesn't look like a folder and like someone said you'll have to use a riser for optics. In short, you're not getting the tactical model which is a nice weapon. Reviews say it's good but I don't like the non chromed bore. My suggestion. Pay a bit more and get a Spikes or a High Standard.

Posted By: kdmason

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/16/11 03:55 AM

WOW... thank you all. I have looked and looked and I just can't finger out which one to buy.

Tomorrow is the big day. I will make a purchase.

As far as the barrel not being chromed... from what I have been told by both cabela's and cheaper Than Dirt, the S&W Sport barrel is lined with some super-dooper-stuff that actually has a harder rockwell hardness than chrome. Chrome (i think) is around 55 Rockwell and this 'new stuff' has a hardness of 62.

My head has been spinning, but tomorrow it is all gonna stop.

Thanks again everyone.

Posted By: quartierleblanc

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/16/11 12:17 PM

The finish is called Melonite which is very similiar to the Tennifer finish that Glock uses. I'm unaware of it being used in the barrel bore or chamber. It's interesting if it is. The use of a chromed carrier is interesting as well. If not done well they will flake and they also add a tiny bit of size to them. It's just a bit out of the ordinary which I both like and don't like. For a first time weapon I'd really get something which you know is mil spec and which you can modify or fix as then need or inclination arises. I'd like to know what some of the big time builders here like the guy from Dallas thinks. He does this thing every day and his business is built around getting the job done.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/16/11 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Old_Town
It's hard to beat a Spike's Tactical M4LE for $700.

true, very true...

Folks can rationalize dust covers and forward assists, but I use both. Dust cover daily, forward assist seldom, but I want it there when I need it (like when the gun is hot and a round galls up in the chamber, especially when reloading under fire, as it was intended).

Posted By: devildog28

Re: S&W M&P15 Sport - 05/16/11 12:48 PM

How much is it?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum