Texas Hunting Forum

sig 516 vs LMT

Posted By: fastliberator

sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 03:15 PM

I am thinking about picking one of these 2 up. It would be my first piston AR. Anybody have any experience with either?

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 03:21 PM

coming form a Sig Sauer Fan boy, Buy the LMT its a much better Rifle.

Posted By: JWP58

Re: sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 03:21 PM

Why do you want a piston?

Tests have shown that a piston system on an AR is a solution to a problem that doesnt exsist. (Pat Rodgers running 31,000 rds through a BCM upper without cleaning and zero malfunctions)

Save the weight, save the $$$$$, and carrier tilt...and go get a quality DI AR.

Re: sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: JWP58
Why do you want a piston?

Tests have shown that a piston system on an AR is a solution to a problem that doesnt exsist. (Pat Rodgers running 31,000 rds through a BCM upper without cleaning and zero malfunctions)

Save the weight, save the $$$$$, and carrier tilt...and go get a quality DI AR.

They run ALOT Cleaner and Cooler is the main reason I run them.

My piston gun balances better with the weight, cost was comparable, carrier tilt has never been an issue on any I have used. LMT and Sigs are quality

Posted By: JWP58

Re: sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 04:41 PM

http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/filthy14_oct10.pdf

My bad, it was cleaned at 26,000 rds.

Get a piston gun if you want, but i like to keep things caveman simple. What if your piston system breaks? Are there replacement parts out there, or are you going to have to wait for the prod. company to fix it? Are normal wear parts interchangable with DI guns?

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 06:38 PM

Wow! You made it all the way to the second reply before someone completely disregarded the question. We're getting better! hammer

Re: sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JWP58
http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/filthy14_oct10.pdf

My bad, it was cleaned at 26,000 rds.

Get a piston gun if you want, but i like to keep things caveman simple. What if your piston system breaks? Are there replacement parts out there, or are you going to have to wait for the prod. company to fix it? Are normal wear parts interchangable with DI guns?

Try that without the SLP lubricant and see what happens, Gas piston guns while not recommended you can force them to run. Caveman simple ??? both are complex and full of moving parts.

What do you consider a normal wear part, Because I have ARs with thousands of rounds on them that I have replaced nothing on ? Some parts that need replacing on the DI System won't on the Piston.

The only Reason I recommended the Piston is if your going to run the weapon with a suppressor, as they bleed off alot of gas before the muzzle so there to noisy even with the suppressor to shoot without hearing protection.

Posted By: fastliberator

Re: sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 09:53 PM

Ok let me throw this curve at you. Compared to the HK version, how does the LMT stand.

I was looking at the sig for $1325, LMT +/-$2000, and the HK for $2600. With all that said, I could almost buy 2 more RR operator flat tops.

I already have 3 DI weapons. I was wanting to try out the piston models to see if they were any better, and yes I do run a suppressor. From what I have read, the bolt tilt issue is pretty much been resolved.

As far as replacement parts, why cant I just order a spare BCG and rod? Do I need to have that many spare parts for a piston gun?

Re: sig 516 vs LMT - 04/28/11 10:56 PM

I would not even consider the HK, but that is personal bias on my part. If your wanting a Pston gun to test the waters I would Get the Sig 516 as there will be less capitol invested should you dislike it and need to sell it.

If you run a suppressor they will not be hearing safe with it one like your DI rifles are, as the Piston guns bleed Gas before the muzzle at the gas block, so in my experience you will have a very loud pop very similar to "First Round Pop" every time you fire the gun.

I doubt you will break a Push Rod, if you break a Push Rod you will have done something that would have FUBAR whatever gun you had in your hand. Again I don;t see you breaking a BCG either

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum