Texas Hunting Forum

Leupold Scopes

Posted By: kyle1974

Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 06:18 PM

simple question...

why do people still buy them? Is it because they assume leupold is still worth the price they are paying?

Are the only other scopes sold where people buy them BSA, or NC STAR?

with the optics available today...for the life of me, I can't figure out whey leupold continues to sell the scopes at the price point they do.

Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 06:59 PM

Let's hear some names comparable to vx3 for less money.

I'm guessing you'll say Nikon and maybe Vortex, could you name me some others?

I looked at Nikon Monarch and Leupold vx3 glass side by side and the Leupold blew the Nikon away in my opinion. I am open to hearing about other brands for sure, just not Monarch.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:13 PM

Nikon monarch is substantially cheaper than the VXiii line....so I would hope it's better. peresonally I think nikon isn't all that great either...

as for some that leupold can't compete with for the price, vortex viper, zeiss conquest, super sniper, bushnell 4200 series...

how many examples do you need?

Posted By: dieselgeek

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:21 PM

I have a mark 4 10x40 LR/T w/ M3 knobs. It has great glass, the BDC M3 knobs work well and the turrets track very well. It always returns to zero is as tough as they come. I can't speak for anyone elses Leupold, but mine is great. I've looked though other scopes that people have said are = to mine and did not see it.

Leupold also has a better warranty than all of those listed above. If you don't like Leupold why even talk about them, don't buy one and move on.

Posted By: sactoller

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:25 PM

Bushnell 4200 lack of eye box and heavy.

Super Sniper....well, one would have to be gay to put that on a rifle!

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:29 PM

have you ever used a super sniper? I didn't know scopes had a sexual preference.

leupold has a better warranty than zeiss, vortex, and burris?

I think you need to check up on that. The only problem I ever had with a waarnty was with leupold on a mark iv... the parallax adjustment was off, and leupold said it was "adequate".

I expect more than "adequate" on a $1200 scope.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:29 PM

I don't dislike the bushnell 4200, I have two friends that have them and they are good scopes for the money. I did notice at dusk my picture was more clear and brighter. Again YMMV this was IMO.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:30 PM

Kyle where do you have to send a zeiss scope if it breaks?

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:33 PM

Virginia.

Where do you send your leupold when they break?

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:40 PM

Your moms

OHH BOOM ROASTED.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:41 PM

I was thinking of another brand though, that you had to send it across the pond.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 07:43 PM

I guess Leupold has a better defined warranty system though since their scopes break on a daily basis!

they're probably "industry leaders" in warranty work since they have so much experience at it.

Posted By: sactoller

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 08:04 PM

The Suuuuupppper Sniper is crap.!

Posted By: MSAR_Fan

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 08:15 PM

Zeiss > Leupold...

no exceptions

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 08:22 PM

I'm starting to read threads questioning the value of non-pst Vortex Viper because of the glass resolution. When it comes to Ziess I am a little scared of that name having purchased some cameras (video and P&S) marked with that name and being disappointed.

With Vortex, there are enough positive reviews out there that I may just give them a try. Ziess rifle scopes, I may have to warm up to after trying someone else's and they are a lot more money than Vortex Viper for the bigger ones.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: sactoller

says the savage owner.....

Posted By: MSAR_Fan

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 08:30 PM

Zeiss is expensive, but if you're anything like me, it's a one time lifetime purchase

i have about a half dozen high end scopes, and my zeiss is the only one i plan to keep forever.

The glass is MUCH better than any of the leupolds i own

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I'm starting to read threads questioning the value of non-pst Vortex Viper because of the glass resolution. When it comes to Ziess I am a little scared of that name having purchased some cameras (video and P&S) marked with that name and being disappointed.

With Vortex, there are enough positive reviews out there that I may just give them a try. Ziess rifle scopes, I may have to warm up to after trying someone else's and they are a lot more money than Vortex Viper for the bigger ones.

where was that? the mechanics of the leupold was the one thing I thought was good. The optics were what was lacking... and that was comparing a mark IV to a vortex viper (pre-pst.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 08:59 PM

Im replacing all my leupys with zeiss! If you want a good deal on a leupy check out my classifieds post!

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 08:59 PM

Oh well, the optics is where I thought the vx3 creamed to Nikon Monarch. The vx3 was $400 amd the nikon Monarch was $335, but the optics in the vx3 looked more than twice as good as the monarch to me.

Which model Leupolds do you own?

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 09:57 PM

Not sure what you're getting at because you can get a VX3 2.5X8 for only $400. A lot of the others are in that range. I definitely wouldn't use Nikon or Bushnell optics if I had Leupold as an option. You seem like you have a chip on your shoulder about people who spend more on scopes.

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 10:06 PM

VX3 you can spend a little less on a Ziess and get the same results, or you can spend a little more on a Trijicon Acupoint and get way better glass thats more durable as well.

Mk4 you can spend less on Trijicon Acupoint and have better durability and customer Service should anything go wrong, or you can spend same price or little more and get Nightforce.

But at the end of the day purchase whatever makes you happy.

Posted By: B84

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 10:15 PM

I have a leupold on a browning a bolt, the adjustment ring was a little too tight, they fixed it and had it back in two weeks with no issues at all. Good glass and holds zero, good scope if you ask me. I put a viper pst on my new .308, now thats an AWESOME scope, especially in the $1000 range, its better than my burris xtr.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 10:55 PM

I have owned a vari x II, two VXIII's and a mark IV. the vari x II in 3-9 x50 never seemed like it went to full magnification looking at other scopes side by side.. it seemed more like a 3-7.2 than a 3-9, otherwise it functioned OK.... clarity wasn't terrible. I bought that one in 1993. The mark IV had a parallax issue (I thought, leupold didn't), and for a $1200 scope just wasn't all that clear. the VXiii I got rid of was a 6.5-20, which I sold to get the mark IV because mark IV was much better suited for long range shooting.

the only one I own now is the VXiii in 4.5-14x40.

you want to buy it?

I've never had a problem with them losing zero... but I own a lot of scopes that don't lose zero, cost about the same, maybe a little more...and have much better optics.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/24/11 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: devildog28
Not sure what you're getting at because you can get a VX3 2.5X8 for only $400. A lot of the others are in that range. I definitely wouldn't use Nikon or Bushnell optics if I had Leupold as an option. You seem like you have a chip on your shoulder about people who spend more on scopes.

are we on the same thread?

Posted By: matt bohac

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: sactoller

2nd that. Supper Crap!

You can find scopes cheaper and I have own some. in the long run you get what you pay for. The cheaper scopes dont track right, dont hold 0 and they suck in low light for the ones I have owned. But it just depends what you're trying to get out of them and what you're putting them on.

I bought 2 Mark 4's last year and they are the best scopes I have ever owned. Well worth saving the extra $ for a better scope. Nightforce will be next buy whenever I have the $.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 12:54 AM

I am thinking you guys that are saying super snipers from SWFA are total crap have never even looked through one....

once again, this isn't about leupold being too expensive, it's about them being over priced for the quality you get, and comparing them to other scopes in the same price bracket.

Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:13 AM

The Army seems to think they are fine. More than fine actually, that's why they put them on their new sniper rifles system. There were a lot of competitors they could have chosen from, but Leupold was chosen.

Not defending them, just stating a fact. I don't own a Leupold and will never own one, but have heard few bad things about them.

Posted By: Sami

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Varget 7-08
The Army seems to think they are fine. More than fine actually, that's why they put them on their new sniper rifles system.

They have to match the quality of the Remingtons... rofl

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:15 AM

Funny, but all the benchrest shooters I know are using either March, which is very high-dollar and very hard to get, or modified Leupolds. Leupold offers a combination of toughness, great optics, an unbeatable warranty, and a sterling reputation. You don't have to like Leupolds if you don't want to like them.

I am sure there are websites dedicated to those who just want to find something to argue about. I don't believe that is the purpose of THF.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:22 AM

I believe the purpose is to point out personal experience.... and in mine, leupold is over priced, and their quality isn't what it used to be 15-20 years ago.

I think you said an important word I've been waiting to hear... and that's reputation. That's why leupold is still selling scopes... because someone's grand dad said they were teh best. And 40 years ago, they probably were. Their QA/QC is going downhill, their overall quality is certainly not improving, but the price continues to increase.

as far as outright, topnotch quality, I didn't even scratch the surface on that argument...I was just talking dollar for dollar. A government contract is hardly the criteria for "the best"

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:25 AM

yep, looked through one and dont know how people think they are that great. Just my opinion.

I own a number of cheaper brand scopes and the only thing I have that comes close to the guality of leupold is my nikons. I dont like paying the Leupold price and hoping to find something cheaper that compares.

Leupold has great customer service. I sent 2 scopes to them not for repairs but to change out the reticle on one and change the turrets on the other. within 5 days they were shipping them back with the work completed.

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:26 AM

Leupolds have stood the tests of the armed forces which is no easy feat. Most importantly they have stood the test of time. Leupolds will still be atop millions of rifles when many of the brands mentioned in this thread have been long forgotten. Never ceases to amaze me,this trait many have to jump on the bandwagon of every new product when the tried and trues have already proven themselves. When I am learning about products in an area I am not familiar with and I see over and over again comparisons to brand X,I always just buy brand X.

Plus Leupolds are made in America. flag

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:30 AM

Old habits die hard, and Leupold still has loyal customers who don't care to explore other options or are too lazy to do so. For Texas deer hunting a great scope isn't a necessity anyways since you can't shoot them at low light and most hunting is done from a stand.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:31 AM

by the way....why isn't someone offering to buy my leupold... I thought they were the best? confused2

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:41 AM

Let's just say you're a lousy Leupold salesman and leave it at that.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

rofl

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:45 AM

well down grading leupold and trying to sell your scope on the same site isn't the best marketing plan.

If you think they are over priced why did you buy it?

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:49 AM

it's one of those things I developed an opinion on after owning them for quite a few years.

the mark IV I bought a couple years ago was the one that really flipped the switch for me. I guess you could say I fell for the same bull [censored] that thousands of other people have and bought them.

I'm just saying....all these people keep telling me I'm crazy for bashing leupold.... world famous benchrest shooters use them for god sakes.

why doesn't anyone pony up?

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD

rofl

clap

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Txkiller

rofl

clap

clap

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 02:10 AM

I like them Leupys but I wouldnt buy them new just because of the price, I picked up another used one today grin

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Sami
The Army seems to think they are fine. More than fine actually, that's why they put them on their new sniper rifles system.

says the guy w/ stevens and savages.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: dieselgeek

Actually I don't have any Savages around anymore, and the last one I had surely was a better rifle than the VTR I just sold. duel

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 02:41 AM

The army thinks they are rofl Over pay for everything else why not scopes as well, they are not in same league with Swaro, Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender or US Optics.

Posted By: Driller

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 02:44 AM

I own several Leupys and they are good scopes but I am thinking very hard about buying my first Zeiss.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 03:24 AM

You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner up

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 03:51 AM

The army thinks they are rofl Over pay for everything else why not scopes as well, they are not in same league with Swaro, Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender or US Optics.

zeiss should not be with the other three.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 03:54 AM

The conquest shouldn't but their high end Scopes do.

Posted By: Buckfvr

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 03:54 AM

If you want to get rid of that junk leupold you have I guess you could twist my arm to take it off your hands for $50

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Buckfvr
If you want to get rid of that junk leupold you have I guess you could twist my arm to take it off your hands for $50

Sold.

shipping will be $375. Send me a check and it's on the way.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 04:03 AM

rofl

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 04:18 AM

The Army seems to think they are fine. More than fine actually, that's why they put them on their new sniper rifles system. There were a lot of competitors they could have chosen from, but Leupold was chosen.
There was more politics in that decision than you could ever fathem to belive. Lets just Say "Freadom Group" has alot of push/pull when it came to the M24E SWS, as it is a SWS Sniper Weapon System, they got the go ahead based upon the fact they could provide everything for the project.

Barreled Action
Chasis System
Suppressors
Optics
Mounts
Cases

Everything, it was definately not because Luepold was the best, and alot of the End Users where not happy about that choice either as several say Nightforce is more Durable. Reason being is this Scope

This Scope was pulled off of a US Army SF Operators Rifle after an extended engagement, The scope pictured took a Direct Hit from a 7.62 enemy round, the Operator used that particular scope for an additional 3 days making adjustments and it operated as normal the only thing he did was cover the bullet hole with duct tape. Even the AMU there suposed best shooters whom have the choice to use whatever use Nightforce.

If you really want the Best Check out S&B, Khales, Us Optic, they have even better optical clearity but there almost double the price.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 04:23 AM

I have looked thru nightforce and I am not impressed they don't compare to Swaro, Schmidt&bender, us optics or high Zeiss

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 04:51 AM

I have looked thru nightforce and I am not impressed they don't compare to Swaro, Schmidt&bender, us optics or high Zeiss

No but the sure beat the hell out of Leupold for less, and for the price bracket there in its a good comprimise for a gun that is going to see abuse. Compairing Leupold to NF is fair because there in the same bracket, compairing NF to any othe 4 you mentioned is really not a fair comparison.

Posted By: gogburn

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: kyle1974
Nikon monarch is substantially cheaper than the VXiii line....so I would hope it's better. peresonally I think nikon isn't all that great either...

as for some that leupold can't compete with for the price, vortex viper, zeiss conquest, super sniper, bushnell 4200 series...

how many examples do you need?

Well always looking for better options and cheaper prices, I decided to examine this claim. I looked at two scopes in the Leupold VX-3 line that would be popular models for deer hunting and varmint hunting. I checked the 3.5-10X50mm for deer hunting and the 4.5-14x40mm for varmint hunting. In each line of scopes I found the one closest to the selected models. I selected the matte model with duplex reticle. The prices are online at SWFA.com. The current Leupold Model is the VX-3, the Bushnell 4200 is a discontinued Model, no longer shown on the Bushnell web site.

Vortex Viper 3.5-10X50MM $399.95
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50MM $469.95
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10X50MM $599.95
SWFA Super Sniper 3-9X42MM $599.95 (highest variable power available)
Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44MM $699.95

Vortex Viper 4-12x40MM $399.95
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42MM $439.95
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X40MM $529.95
Super Sniper - not available
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44MM $799.95

It appears that the Vortex Viper is the only one that "leupold can't compete with for the price." Zeiss has one loss leader scope in the 3-9X40 category that has a competitive price, but once you get past the entry level, you will save with the Leupold. Cheaper, no way.

You seem awful proud of your VXIII in 4.5-14x40, a discontinued model, that you want to sell for $100 less than the current model, $50 + $375 shipping. The old VXIII is comparable to the current model VXII which sells new for $450 in a 4-12x40mm. Good luck with your sale. Leupold makes continuous improvements in their models and if you are using your older models to make comparisons you are doing them an injustice.

How many examples do you have?

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 12:33 PM

Leupy barf I own zero, sold everyone I had, and bought some real glass Swaro and Zeiss for me stir

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: gogburn

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10X50MM $599.95

Real world price, $492.54 shipped at

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Leupold_66270_VX_3_3_5_10X_50_Duplex_Rifle_Scope_p/LP66270.htm

For the same price, shipping AND TAX, I could find a Burris Euro Diamond with illuminated reticle and better magnification:

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com/Bra...714&whence=

Posted By: gogburn

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:03 PM

Leupy barf I own zero, sold everyone I had, and bought some real glass Swaro and Zeiss for me stir

Congratulations Mr. Moneybags, but the rest of us common people are interested in something affordable that offers good quality for the money which is the topic of this thread. Why don't you go wave your money in front of someone else, it gets old. stir

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:14 PM

funny thing about that OLD atiquated VXIII I still have.... the guy at carters country where I bought it, was telling me about the top of the line light transmission the scope provided... something like 98 or 99%... so what did they do on the new models? 98.04%?

you must have missed the post detailing about hte mark IV I bought about 2 years ago.... actually, I just pulled the reciept and I bought it november of 2009, so not quite 2 years.

optically, the scope was not as clear as a $500 vortex viper... that's pathetic for a $1200 scope not to compare. compared to 3 of the zeiss's I have, it was even worse...maybe it was better than the other scope I had.... oh wait.... that's the VXiii on that .243.... well, it's not the worst scope I had!

the parallax adjustment only worked in approximately 10% of the entire travel of the adjustment range, meaning the other 90% did absolutely nothing. when I sent it back to leupold, they said it was working adequately, or within specifications...

the other mechanical features of the mark IV worked as they should (phew!, got lucky on that!).

the mark IV was their flagship line of scopes, and in my experience using the scope for about a year, hardly stacked up against competition....

but don't pay attention to that... just the vxiii I can't unload on any unspecting soul

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:18 PM

It's like you're trying to shame someone into buying it.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:21 PM

LOL. almost like that isn't it?

ok.... it's not for sale. I have a.....uh...... sentimental attachement to it, so I can't let it go.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:39 PM

Congratulations Mr. Moneybags, but the rest of us common people are interested in something affordable that offers good quality for the money which is the topic of this thread. Why don't you go wave your money in front of someone else, it gets old. stir

Has nothing to do with money I assure I just don't own a 15 sub par scopes and also don't have to sale and buy again, save your dollars and invest in quality that will last a lifetime, hell if I had your money I would proly throw mine away, I assure you I ain't rich but I choose to save and buy quality 1x, rather than continuing to buy and sell lower quality scopes, priorities and being smart when I do decide to purchase and you save money in the long run, wish I would have figured it out sooner bang

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:41 PM

rofl you don't know me very well at all obviously, you have no clue how untrue your moneybags comment is. That is comical!

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 01:48 PM

[/quote]I choose to save and buy quality 1x, rather than continuing to buy and sell lower quality scopes, priorities and being smart when I do decide to purchase and you save money in the long run, wish I would have figured it out sooner bang [/quote]

same here! wish I would have figured it out sooner.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 03:13 PM

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 03:25 PM

Better save up to buy Kacee a VX3L for when she starts requesting out of state muley vouchers.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 03:56 PM

Posted By: gbeard

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 06:13 PM

Super Sniper all the way!!! peep

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 06:25 PM

I dont know I have a couple leupolds the oldest is goin on 25 years old, the newest about 4. I have never had a lick of trouble out of any of them. I feel as though I bought quality one time. I have hunted and target shot with the zeiss conquest, and past the fact that I like their cross hair better I dont see the difference. You can talk to me till your blue in the face about glass and what ever else, but there is no shot that the zeiss would enable me to make that I cant with what ive got... Not saying they are better than everything else either, just not the bad shake alot give them either.

I shoot plenty of hogs at night by the light of the moon with mine and never had an issue and most of them are 3-9X40 VXII's.

Guess what I dont drive a ferrari either... but I still make it to work just fine. So many people fall into the:

oh you gotta have this its the best.. or
if you dont have this gun your just playing around... and it goes on

use what you got, nothin wrong with leupy in my book.

matt

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Better save up to buy Kacee a VX3L for when she starts requesting out of state muley vouchers.

rofl

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 06:45 PM

rofl

I do hope she reads that though grin

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 07:09 PM

Then she will wanna hunt out of state bang

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 07:22 PM

heck you're already halfway there when you go hunting anyways.....might as well keep driving. whistle

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 07:30 PM

Good point!

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 07:50 PM

Maybe bobo will draw her a speed goat tag banana2

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 08:13 PM

the goats wouldn't know what to think only hearing someone shoot once before calling it a day.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 08:40 PM

Lmao.....

Mine died via a neck injury....have a brown cape to prove it....

Now my wifes poor goat....irs arse never stood a chance...lol

Luppy nice scope but to much money when you can get a vortex viper for less.

Wish someone would buy a minox so I can play with it

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 08:48 PM

the goats wouldn't know what to think only hearing someone shoot once before calling it a day.

I almost swallowed my snuff please warn before you do that roflmao

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:09 PM

you guys need to stop hi jacking.... this is about cruddy leupold scopes, not goats!

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:09 PM

Can't help wife misses a b/c goat then shoots another one not one but three times in the arse....

To her defense she did manage to stalk with in 250

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Can't help wife misses a b/c goat then shoots another one not one but three times in the arse....

To her defense she did manage to stalk with in 250

Kacee said she won't miss. rofl

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:23 PM

you guys need to stop hi jacking.... this is about cruddy leupold scopes, not goats!

What do you care what I spend my money on? I own a few Leupolds and they work fine for me, guess I have lower standards then you do, huh Kyle? I suppose if I could afford better I'd get it, but heck, for the few things I shoot every year it would just be money wasted. I'm not saying anything bad about you guys that don't like Leupold just to the one that feels the need to bash somebody for buying one. As they say Kyle to each his own.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:33 PM

The Loopy's I have not are doing ok. Over the years I guess I have owned 10 or so of them and had to send 3 back. Not very good IMO, but I guess a lot of people have never had an issue with them. I just never plan on another one going in my safe. I have even passed on a few fairly good deals on rifles that had one attached.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:33 PM

Luppy not crudy just $$$ for what they are...

Now that's solved back to stinky goats.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Luppy not crudy just $$$ for what they are...

Now that's solved back to stinky goats.
You guys get your goats in West Texas?

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:36 PM

Yep Kacee wants to know when I need to get her to your place in Oklahoma for a goat confused2 she says you already gave her the invite rofl

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:40 PM

get the VX3L and drop in you custom turrets. I have never had a leupy fail me, but I do have one that is sitting on a rifle I haven't fired yet.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:42 PM

Leupys are decent scopes but over priced for what they are.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:46 PM

I've got a VXIII I will let go for a good price.....shipping may vary depending on your location.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:48 PM

Funny how the leupy lovers aren't interested in a good deal on a vxIII rofl

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:50 PM

Best combo there is..can be used for everything from fruit flies to elephants.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:55 PM

Nice rig up

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:57 PM

All 3 that I have had fail no longer would hold zero. 2 occured on Elk hunts in Montana the other was on a Sako 22-205 so recoil should not be an issue. 2 were VX-II the other was a VXIII.

I prefer my Nikons, Bushnell Elite, Burris, Kahles, Ziess and Swaro to anything I have ever tried of loopy since I have yet had any of those to fail. That may change tomorrow but I doubt it.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 09:58 PM

The other one like it is...not sure about that one. I actually have to pull the trigger to find out.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 10:01 PM

You are like Goldstein sooo much money you got guns you haven't even shot bang

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 10:05 PM

It was a Christmas present and the rifle had to get sent back, so that's the first time I've seen it since 12/26. Wind was blowing and I didn't feel like jacking with it so grabbed the other one and rode around with it.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:07 PM

I'd never buy from a db that is trying to sell something he is currently bashing. For all I know he might have dropped it, taken it apart, could be one of those counterfit jobs going around. Nahhh no thank you, he can give it away if it's so bad. Obviously something is wrong with it if he hates it sooooo much.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:32 PM

I buy new... Don't like being put in a position to hold a grudge against someone if I can keep from it.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:34 PM

it's not for sale anyway....

I'm putting it on my 7 year old's pellet gun. Maybe he won't notice what a POS it is.

you guys think it will hold zero?

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:37 PM

It would be the best pellet gun around.. Could drop it, use it as a club when it runs out of pellets and still be able to hold a zero... If it has B&C ret. it'll prolly be good out to 200yds. grin

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:41 PM

it's not for sale anyway....

I'm putting it on my 7 year old's pellet gun. Maybe he won't notice what a POS it is.

you guys think it will hold zero?

Nope because as you must not know a air rifle will trash any scope that is not designed for air rifles. Something about the direction of recoil rattles the scopes internals to pieces and that goes for even the best scopes made, not just the junky Leupolds you mention.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

I'd never buy from a db that is trying to sell something he is currently bashing. For all I know he might have dropped it, taken it apart, could be one of those counterfit jobs going around. Nahhh no thank you, he can give it away if it's so bad. Obviously something is wrong with it if he hates it sooooo much.

I really think what he is saying that there are better scopes available, I personally never had an issue with them holding zero or even being bad glass, they have kind of let the market catch up with them in their price range and there are better options for the money, then I saved my dollars and bought Swaro and Zeiss and learned there is better options, it is an individual choice. I doubt there is any issues with the scope he has just become a european snob due to the glass he is using now, I feel his pain but I dont think he is a db and if it was a good buy and I wanted the scope I would have no fears buying it from Kyle

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:47 PM

I agree not everybody likes the same brand and yes there could be some junk made Leupolds out there but it's along the lines of someone saying your Dodge is a pile of cr@p because it doesn't cost as much as a Dmax. I already said if I was a real hunter or hunted hard core like some of you fellas I'd buy the best I could afford too, but they get the job done for me. But that being said I have never compared them to a really high grade scope and am afraid to, what would I do if I too thought Leupolds were junky? Heck man I'd be even deeper in the hunting debt hole, as if corn & protein arent bad enough these days. hammer

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:54 PM

You get the right leupys they'll compare to your high dollar glass. Darkness makes all of them have their own issues

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:54 PM

I love leupold. I put them on par with simmons. I own one leupold, and would buy another if i had a gun i wanted to put one on. Especially if it were a stock gun i bought at the store.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:55 PM

But that part about the dodge could be right rofl

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/25/11 11:56 PM

grin don't compare that's what happened to me, especially with the binos if sumptin happened to my Swaro's I would go into debt to get another pair bang No question that the leupys work and if you don't feel the need for the high end glass then no reason to buy it. It is each individuals decision ad if you don't feel you need it for your purposes then i wouldn't buy it cause someone saud I needed it, but if you feel like you need it then they are worth what they cost!

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:00 AM

If I wanted the scope I have no problem buying a used scope from one of the guys that has one for sale, especially the brands that have a transferable warranty.

the first Lueplod I had go bad was used when I got it on a trade and it served for about 4 years before going bad, the others were new purchases. I returned all 3 and they were replaced promptly but when they go out on a hunting trips it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I have since been selling off some of my Leupolds replacing them with other brands.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:00 AM

But that part about the dodge could be right rofl

bang

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:03 AM

simple question...

why do people still buy them? Is it because they assume leupold is still worth the price they are paying?

Are the only other scopes sold where people buy them BSA, or NC STAR?

with the optics available today...for the life of me, I can't figure out whey leupold continues to sell the scopes at the price point they do.

So...do you have Leupold envy or just hate Leupold? Otherwise, I can't figure out why you care what scopes everyone else buys. confused2

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:06 AM

I really think what he is saying that there are better scopes available, I personally never had an issue with them holding zero or even being bad glass, they have kind of let the market catch up with them in their price range and there are better options for the money, then I saved my dollars and bought Swaro and Zeiss and learned there is better options, it is an individual choice. I doubt there is any issues with the scope he has just become a european snob due to the glass he is using now, I feel his pain but I dont think he is a db and if it was a good buy and I wanted the scope I would have no fears buying it from Kyle

rofl rofl

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:07 AM

did some of you guys not read my post about the Mark IV I used to own? for god sakes.... how much better of a leupold am I supposed to buy before I see their true potential?

as for Dodge trucks... don't even get me started on those POS'S!!!!!!! mad

Posted By: Rebel.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:23 AM

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:27 AM

did some of you guys not read my post about the Mark IV I used to own? for god sakes.... how much better of a leupold am I supposed to buy before I see their true potential?

as for Dodge trucks... don't even get me started on those POS'S!!!!!!! mad

I can side with you on leupys but not the dodge dammit son!

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:30 AM

kyle, so what is your scope of choice thats worth the money?

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:36 AM

I just signed up for that tactical match next month. I sure hope my mark iv does not fall on it's [censored]. lol

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: matt bohac
kyle, so what is your scope of choice thats worth the money?

X2

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:38 AM

if it does leupy supposedly has the best customer service in the business. Anybody ever wonder why everybody seems to know their customer service is so good. Bet it is because they have had to send their crappy scopes back to them.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:41 AM

zeiss and vortex are probably where I'm going to buy most of my scopes from. I'm about to order a US optics for a 300 I"m working on. I hope it doesn't suck, or I'll come here and start a thread complaining about it....I swear I will.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:42 AM

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:42 AM

roflmao

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:44 AM

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:46 AM

BMD are you vibing me?

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:47 AM

grin

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Rebel.

I am adding this to my collection up

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:54 AM

Memeber:HEY HEY DIESEL KYLE IS BASHING LEUPOLD AGAIN

Me:

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 12:58 AM

Memeber:HEY HEY DIESEL KYLE IS BASHING LEUPOLD AGAIN

Me:

roflmao

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 01:02 AM

have you ever used a super sniper? I didn't know scopes had a sexual preference.

leupold has a better warranty than zeiss, vortex, and burris?

I think you need to check up on that. The only problem I ever had with a waarnty was with leupold on a mark iv... the parallax adjustment was off, and leupold said it was "adequate".

I expect more than "adequate" on a $1200 scope.

The Super Sniper is an excellent optic.
And I would say that the customer service that Vortex offers would rival Leupold. The warranty that they offer is second to none, All of the optics that they offer are argon purged, which if you know anything about molecules, argon doesn't absorb, or react chemically to water.

Re: Leupold Scopes - 04/26/11 01:04 AM

All the same leupy's are definitely over rated!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum