Texas Hunting Forum

Ruger has done it again !

Posted By: OKIEinTEXAS

Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:18 PM

I just picked up my new ruger Gunsite Scout rifle yesterday. I haven't fired it yet but WOW! ruger wasn't playing around this time. It meets almost all of Jeff Cooper's original specs that define his "scout rifle". If this dude will shoot ok at the range then I will say it is the greatest general purpose rifle ever made made. I have been waiting for somebody to do Cooper's scout rifle justice and not cost $2000 and Ruger just did it. That is why when it comes to innovation, quality, variety of firearms and customer service Ruger stands alone.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:25 PM

worthless

Posted By: t george

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
worthless

Yup

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:30 PM

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:32 PM

barf barf barf barf barf

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:33 PM

Thank you RHW24. Now are you guys happy?

Posted By: scot

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:33 PM

Whats the advantage over an AR-10?

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:41 PM

well you have more sight options for one thing. You get velcocity from a bolt action as opposed to losing alittle from a gas operated semi auto action. Im not sure how much an ar-10 weighs but this comes in at just under 7lbs. It has spacers to adjust you length of pull. If your ar has a colapsable stock you would have the same thing. It has a threaded barrel so you can take off the flash hider it comes with and add a muzzle break or sound suppressor.

Posted By: janie

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: cstone351858
Thank you RHW24. Now are you guys happy?

Yes.

I like that and want one.

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 04:55 PM

I got mine from Budsgunshop.com for $750 free shipping

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 05:09 PM

Remember the Rem 7615 Tactical...... hammer

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 05:09 PM

I like it but I doubt that I will go out and by one... we will see maybe they have one at the lgs that I can play with this afternoon....

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 05:10 PM

well i know about the 7600. not sure ive seen a 7615 tactical was it a .30-06?

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 05:18 PM

How awesome, maybe it will shoot 3" groups like a mini-14 rofl
Really, why would a person buy that with some many other short, compact lighweights that will shoot?

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 05:29 PM

well, the mini 14 is notorious for it's inaccuracy, i have had two and they both sucked. This gun is not a mini 14 though, its a m77 action and they have always served me well plus its handy and has alot of things like the forward mounted scope set up which i love, detachable box mag and back up sights and the ablility to change the length of pull. Plus Jeff Quinn from gunblast was one the first to review the rifle and he says its quite a shooter.

Posted By: tth_40

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 05:38 PM

I like it. Is Ruger still making them with the Mauser type claw extractor?

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 05:42 PM

They sure are. the only thing they really have chenged is they safety and now they have the LC6 trigger.

Posted By: KC

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 06:03 PM

Doesn't that use a proprietary magazine that costs about $50 a pop?

It's a nice rifle, I just don't see what it does that any other rifle on the market doesn't already do just as well. $750 is a bit steep for such a beast when you could have something like the 1895 Guide Gun or spend another $400 and grab an M1A...

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 06:18 PM

I think it's a preference thing more than anything else. I like bolt actions over semi's in a rifle for little more reason than I'm more comfortable with a bolt action. Everyone is different.

Posted By: Budgeteer

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: scot
Whats the advantage over an AR-10?

It doesn't look like an AR-type rifle. It's a bolt-action rifle and doesn't drive the anti-gun crowd's collective blood pressure up like an "assault weapon" does.

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 07:32 PM

I held one at and toyed with it but was less than impressed, you can definately do better just by starting with a M700 or Mauser action and aking your own.

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 08:39 PM

I would like to have one as a ranch rifle because.

short barrel it would be easy to get out the blind window and get a follow up shot when one of the clients "hits one a little far back".

I like the Iron sights on and I will go ahead and say that I am not a fan of the AR platform for hunting, I find it to complex to hand to the average guy who is used to a Rem.700 or other bolt rifle.

I saw the guns and ammo show where they were putting this rifle through its paces at Gunsite and they were engageing targets at 300yds+ with no problems.

I would like to have one but I will wait and make sure the bugs have been worked out of it.

Posted By: tattooedtexan

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 08:44 PM

Cool gun!

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 08:46 PM

All it is to me is a bolt gun made to look like an AR. It will get the anti's blood pressure up without even being what they think it is!

Personaly would never want one, Agreed like others said I think there are other options that would have done as well or better with out looking like flush

But its your gun not ours and you likeit, have fun and enjoy it, I am sure it will shoot just fine up

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 08:47 PM

Savage's 10FM Scout rifles are very nice alternatives too

Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 09:20 PM

I like it,the AR platform is overrated also.

Posted By: jherring1ster

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 09:26 PM

savage scout rifle! savage model 11 lightweight hunter. Howa ranchland! If a person likes ruger they like ruger. Let them love their ruger. I will stay away from them but that's just me. Hope it shoots for you.

Posted By: SenderoTaxi

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 09:30 PM

Here's what I have and it was way cheaper and it is suprisingly accurate and I haven't even worked up loads yet (yes hornady has started selling the bullets and powder for it)

Marlin 308 Express

Same weight, same overall length, nearly identical ballistics and is available in stainless.

I put a leupold 3-9 scope on mine and I easily shoot 1" groups at 200 yards with factory ammo.

Pig/Coyote killer for sure!

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 09:42 PM

well, I messed with one today at the lgs... nice rifle, but just didn't do it for me... I brought a stainless tikka in 7mm-08 home!

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 09:44 PM

You will love the 7/08.

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 09:54 PM

I hope so, seems like big gun ballistics with out all the recoil to me...

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/03/11 10:00 PM

Bought one for my daughter in December put it in Ti stock with Zeiss 3x9x40 and now I want one loaded with 120gr Tsx it is an awesome rig you will be glad you bought it up

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 12:47 AM

Well I have been waiting for a good scout for a long time. I tried the savage but the one I had had a faulty trigger that was very dangerous and adjusting it didn't help. If you hit the buttstock with your hand the gun would fire so i sent it to savage and they just gave me my money back.

Everybody seems to be pretty split on their opinion of my gun. Thats cool, to each their own. I must say though I don't get what redchevy is saying, it doesn't look like an AR at all and its not trying to be. It is a short barrel bolt rifle that is set up for general purpose. you can hunt with it, good truck gun, brush gun and battle carbine all in one gun. at least thats the idea. But it sure is making for a good discussion.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 01:04 AM

Well I have been waiting for a good scout for a long time. I tried the savage but the one I had had a faulty trigger that was very dangerous and adjusting it didn't help. If you hit the buttstock with your hand the gun would fire so i sent it to savage and they just gave me my money back.

Everybody seems to be pretty split on their opinion of my gun. Thats cool, to each their own. I must say though I don't get what redchevy is saying, it doesn't look like an AR at all and its not trying to be. It is a short barrel bolt rifle that is set up for general purpose. you can hunt with it, good truck gun, brush gun and battle carbine all in one gun. at least thats the idea. But it sure is making for a good discussion.

How can you say it doesnt look like an AR?

That is all it is is a bolt gun with several of the same features of an ar... making it look like one. Im sure it will function just fine, just isnt my cup of tea!

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

How can you say it doesnt look like an AR?

That is all it is is a bolt gun with several of the same features of an ar... making it look like one. Im sure it will function just fine, just isnt my cup of tea!

Jeff Cooper had the idealogy of a Scout Rifle as such to be used by such. His specs required the gun to be
38" or less
7 pounds or less
Iron sights with the adition of foward scout style scope/red dot optic
Either magazine fed or reloadable via stripper clips
Capable of engaging man size targets from 100-350yds

Ruger actually made a better scout rifle a few years ago called the Mark 77 Frontier, it was lighter weight and more compact which was what the rifle was all about. They have tried to take more features from the AR and apply them to this rifle and have fubared the IDEA in the process. I for one think its weighted horribly, it uses AI mags which are expensive to say the least, I think they could have come up with something, I have also never been fond of flas hiders on bolt rifles unless its used to atach a supressor. I think the idea was beat to death and gunsite designed a poor substitute for a AR-15 or Ar-10.

The best scout rifle was the Steyer Manlicher that Jeff actually had a hand in designing, But it was priced about 3 times to high.

Savage made a really nice Scout rifle that was priced right.

I have seen several good builds using Remington 700 Youth models, Thats what I did used a foward scope mount and utilised a red dot, works great on Hogs and Coyotes.

Posted By: Payne

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 02:39 AM

Plus Jeff Quinn from gunblast was one the first to review the rifle and he says its quite a shooter.

I wouldn't buy a rifle on a gunblast review. Do your own research.

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Payne
Plus Jeff Quinn from gunblast was one the first to review the rifle and he says its quite a shooter.

I wouldn't buy a rifle on a gunblast review. Do your own research.

+1, On every gun purchase. Reviews are nice, but so is the swag the reviewers get from the manufacturers.

Posted By: AtxCityHunter

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 06:29 AM

Oh crap new gun on the wish list, thanks! lol

Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 06:39 AM

I agree about Gunblast, what can you say negative about a rifle that is sent to you by the manufacturers...."it"s a piece of crap" it would be the last time you got a rifle for free use. just like the TV hunting shows, seems like most host use a Thompson rifle, Swaroski optics etc. you sure aint gonna slam em if you got a gravy train. get free hunts at great "managed" game ranches (canned hunts). what a nice way to make a living, too bad I got to work for mine.

Posted By: birddude

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 01:50 PM

Why not just get a Spanish FR8 whole lot cheaper and will most likely out shoot the Ruger. I was told by a very good rifle builder from the Hill Country of Texas that Ruger uses the very best $25 gun barrels!

Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 01:56 PM

I think Ruger would have done better my making a .308 version of the Mini 30. Why they decided to go with 7.62x39 I'll never understand.

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 03:52 PM

well psychosmurf, the savage scout is horrible, at least the one i owned was. And this new ruger scout rifle is so much better than the frontier and so much closer to coopers specs. The frontier did weigh a little less but it has no back up iron sights and no detachable magazine, two very crucial characters that make a rifle a cooper "scout" rifle. And yes the steyr is a great concept of a scout but it also cost $1700- $2000. The frontier was not a scout it just had a forward mounted scope rib and tried to claim it was a scout. But Ruger went back to the drawing board and figured it out this time.

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 03:59 PM

I'm a ruger fan and I like that but not sure I like te whole "scout rifle" set up

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 04:16 PM

yeah, its not some folks cup of tea. My dad started talking about them back in the early 90's when i was a kid so I grew up hearing about Jeff Cooper and his scout rifle concept so i guess it just stuck with me and I really like this one a lot. I am a big Ruger fan as well. They make good bolt rifles, a great AR-15, great single actions (I love the vaquero), the 10/22 is great, all their .22 pistols (revolvers and the mk series). The only thing I think they don't compete in is semi auto pistols, but maybe the sr9 will work for them. Overall I think they make a great variety of quality firearms.

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/04/11 10:08 PM

Who gives a dang what Cooper thinks the ideal rifle was. Cooper didn't live in Texas and probably didn't hunt the things you do. Get what you think is the best suited to your needs...

I have no use for a detachable magazine on a bolt gun, just another thing to lose. If you are going to use a detachable magazine, why not use an AR-10 or FAL mag that can be had in any decent gun store instead of a proprietary mag that costs $50?

I agree- I would rather have seen them come out with a "Maxi" 14 in 308 for around $500 that would hold 2 moa. That I would be excited about...

They went with 7.62x39 because of pressure levels. They'd have to re-design the action to get .308 levels safely...

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 01:43 AM

Well KC, Jeff Cooper was widely considered to be one of the foremost experts on firearms throughout the gun community. so yeah I think his opinion means something. I know Jeff Coopers opinion isn't near as important as yours, You post your mighty opinions on this little hunting forum WOW! All Cooper did was found Gunsite, write several books on firearms, and write for the nationally circulated Guns and Ammo magazine,I don't know if you've heard of it. But Im sure he would have given all that up to follow in your all knowing footsteps.

The whole point of this post wasn't for you to tell me why I should or shouldn't have bought this gun, I buy all the time without your input and Im just fine. The point was to open a discussion about what people PERSONALLY thought of the gun, some like it some don't and that ok but you wandered way off topic and have shown your true colors. Next time try and keep up please?

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 03:23 AM

Wow, easy there cowboy... I've read everything Cooper ever wrote and know quite well his impact on the industry. Never said he wasn't an important man or that he didn't contribute to the firearms industry in great ways. However, his opinion as to the perfect rifle has little bearing on what my opinion is. You see, I have this nasty little habit of making up my own mind based on my experiences and observations. I've also read everything Keith wrote but I don't cary a 6" N-Frame when I hunt.

Hugh Hefner and I would probably disagree about what the ideal woman should look like as well- does that mean I'm not entitled to an opinion? If all we did on this forum was agree with each other it would be a mighty boring place.

As to Ruger being a bastion of innovation and variety I am moved to cough and say "bs"...

Precisely what was the point of your post? Wanna roll over and have us scratch your belly for buying a rifle built to another man's specifications?

Please tell me what it is in your opinion that makes this the best general purpose rifle ever built. Wanna talk guns? Let's talk em then...

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 03:36 AM

Remington's new Model 750 Carbine length in 308 would be a great choice too, smaller, faster, magazine fed, and a good shooter.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 03:41 AM

I'm a big fan of Rugers as most on here know, but that thing looks like it was built in somebody's garage. Bulky and combersome looking with a mag hanging down thats going to snag everthing. Then they put it in the one caliber I don't like. Not my cup of tea I view it as more of a novelty item.

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 03:45 AM

A Don't take stuff you read on the interweb personal, you posted something about a rifle on a public forum. I listed a few criticisms I had for the rifle, I'm not on any Manufactures Payroll unlike half the people reviewing equipment these day, I'm paid to know firearms and what works and doesnt, like I said this was just a few problems I had with the gun. Again if it works for you run it, but theres better options.

Originally Posted By: OKIEinTEXAS
well psychosmurf, the savage scout is horrible, at least the one i owned was.
I have shot and sold several and have been very pleased with them, and I HATE SAVAGE.

And this new ruger scout rifle is so much better than the frontier and so much closer to coopers specs. The frontier did weigh a little less but it has no back up iron sights and no detachable magazine, two very crucial characters that make a rifle a cooper "scout" rifle.
A detachable magazine that is proprietary and cost what AI mags do is a mistake, sticking that far below the rifle is also a con as you can not prone out for more accurate fire. Iron sights with a scope in the way are useless anyways, if your in so much S^^^ that your scope fails you would want an auto anyways.Having a laminate stock is also a downside, should have used a kevlar renforced or likewise decent synthetic stock. Again Im not a fan of Flashhiders on boltguns.

And yes the steyr is a great concept of a scout but it also cost $1700- $2000.
If you re-read my post I mentioned the Steyr was double if not tripple overpriced of what it should have been.

The frontier was not a scout it just had a forward mounted scope rib and tried to claim it was a scout. But Ruger went back to the drawing board and figured it out this time.
Again having shot both I would actually take the frontier as light/scout rifle, as the only time I would use such a rifle is during long hikes hunting. If I was in any sort of Scenerio that Cooper Described for the entended purpose of the Rifle I would use any number of AR, AK or FAL platform rifle.

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Remington's new Model 750 Carbine length in 308 would be a great choice too, smaller, faster, magazine fed, and a good shooter.
X2

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 05:04 AM

Don't disagree with Cooper boys, it's a hanging offense!!

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 02:46 PM

First of all the simple fact is the frontier wasn't a scout rifle, it did not meet the definition. Sencond, Im not taking anything personal. I completely understand that not just as many people wouldn't like it as those who do like it. Im not trying to upset anybody here. Another thing is you asked me to bring up my own opinions on guns, I do have my own opinions I form them through research, and reading what the experts say. But when it comes to guns as most things they are not original opinions. I like the scout rifle concept but I didn't invent it just like you didn't invent any of the firearms you are a fan of. so that means someone else thought it was a good idea first and through your research you decided to share their opinion. So i don't like the firearm just because Jeff Cooper liked scouts, I just happen to agree with him through my research and experience. So unless I invented the product we are talking about I can't have an original opinion on the topic just like you can't, as much as you think you think its all your own opinion someone else already had it. all I can do share opinions with those who invented it and saw it first.

If I came off like i was taking something personally am sorry. thats not the case i understand its all in good fun and no minds will be changed here. As to your pissing contest challenge, Ill talk guns with you all weekend, fine by me.

p.s. it also comes with a 5 round mag

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/05/11 06:42 PM

Personaly its ugly as sin but to each there own

Posted By: o2bwest

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/06/11 04:50 AM

If I'm gonna carry a gun with a mag that big it's gonna be a semi auto.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/06/11 10:59 AM

So this rifle (that probably shoots 2-4 moa) has exactly what over rifles half the cost that shoot submoa? Oh that's right a detachable magazine. up

Let's just say for your sake you better hope Ruger "hasn't done it again". They're not exactly known for world class accuracy. Think mini-14 and the m77 isn't exactly punching cloverleaf groups at the range.

Posted By: Canazes9

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/06/11 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: devildog28
So this rifle (that probably shoots 2-4 moa) has exactly what over rifles half the cost that shoot submoa? Oh that's right a detachable magazine. up

Let's just say for your sake you better hope Ruger "hasn't done it again". They're not exactly known for world class accuracy. Think mini-14 and the m77 isn't exactly punching cloverleaf groups at the range.

The 2 model 77's I've owned were sub MOA right out of the box. The 77 compact was more like 1/2MOA. I still have the 338 Federal Hawkeye and it is very accurate. The only Ruger 77's I've ever known to have accuracy problems were certain years of the tang safety models where they had barrel problems.

David

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/06/11 03:44 PM

You cant put the M77 and the Mini-14 in the same class for accuracy!! Just because the Mini shoots 2"-4" groups doesn't mean the M77 does. I have 4 and they are all 1" shooters with good loads!!

Still don't see the lure of the new Scout Rifle? I would go with the M1A or AR-10, but that is just my opinion!!

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/06/11 05:10 PM

M77 is a world class hunting arm. never known anyone that has owned one (myself included) that had anything bad to say about it, other than the trigger. mine is very accurate, by anything other than benchrest standards. mini 14 isn't the most accurate rifle, but they were being sold in great numbers after the "assualt weapons ban" of 1994, when it was hard to get a AR.

People who own rugers hunt with them out in the field, they don't sit at the range all day and shoot at pieces of paper and talk about how accurate there synthetic stocked tactical rifles are.

Posted By: cable

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/06/11 05:15 PM

Looks like a nice rifle. Congrats on the purchase.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/06/11 05:46 PM

Interesting rifle you have there, other than the flash hider I like it, a shorter mag would not hurt either but that can probally be found.

I have one "scout" rifle and really like it Springfield M1A scout. On it I crrently have a Leatherwood scout scope in Leupold quick release rings and it does return to zero when removed and put back on.

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/06/11 06:02 PM

I kinda like the Ruger M77's. The few that I've had in past years were accurate, and with careful handloading they were MOA, one is sub MOA and I still have it, though it is a '77-22 in .22 Hornet. I like the Mauser type action, (the Hornet is not, however) I kinda have a soft spot for that stuff.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Ruger has done it again ! - 02/07/11 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

M77 is a world class hunting arm. never known anyone that has owned one (myself included) that had anything bad to say about it, other than the trigger. mine is very accurate, by anything other than benchrest standards. mini 14 isn't the most accurate rifle, but they were being sold in great numbers after the "assualt weapons ban" of 1994, when it was hard to get a AR.

People who own rugers hunt with them out in the field, they don't sit at the range all day and shoot at pieces of paper and talk about how accurate there synthetic stocked tactical rifles are.

I should've said mini 30. I guess my mind was thinking 1 thing while I typed another. hammer

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum