Texas Hunting Forum

308 build scope

Posted By: DRT1

308 build scope - 01/26/11 04:06 PM

per my other topic already going on here, we've almost got our gun we are gonna buy picked out.. lookin like a fn pbr, or another remington 5r.. we are now lookin for that scope to put on this one time build.. we have some experienc w/ nikon, burris,leupold,bushnell,bsa, and zeiss, but we wanna hear what ya'll are shooting, and how you like it and if you had it to do over again what scope would you have picked over the one you currently have and why. we like indestructible cuz it may pull double duty on a 300wsm sometimes and that thing eats light weight scopes. i don't wanna put a price limit on scope i have found some real sleepers with the bushnell and burris lines and i wanna see what everyone else thinks.. thanx for all comments but please let us know why you like your brand

Posted By: BMD

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 04:11 PM

I am running Swaro 4x16x50 ph's, great glass!

Posted By: ScottF

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 04:55 PM

If you are looking at mildot or MOA reticles, that will reduce your list. I'm currently shopping myself. I have my eye on a Vortex Viper PST in 4-16x50 FFP or a Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44 LR IRMOA or MD/CD. All three are still not in dealer hands yet. Of course Nightforce, S&B, US Optics and Swarovski are in the next level up.

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 04:57 PM

some qualifiers,,
*use= long rangs target out to 600 mostly and hunting
*ruggedness +1
*dusk/dawn clarity +1
*14.5 pwr and up
*mil dot, milr, doa, bplex style reticle+1 (hate nikon's bdc reticle)
*weight and size will have some bearing so +1 for smaller overall pkg
**good customer svc..

Posted By: exoticbob

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 05:51 PM

so far my new minox 4-20x50 w/ bdc has impressed me. long constant eye relief. the eye box is critical - what i mean is you have to come to the same position everytime to get good alignment. i am ok with this as i have good consistency when shouldering a rifle. i have never used their customer service but i understand its top notch. my other choices would be zeiss, bushnell 6500 or leupold vx3 or better. vortex vipers are nice but would get the new model since it has better eye relief. my 2cents

Posted By: J.G.

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 07:25 PM

I run a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X 50 mm on my .308 It is illuminated MIL reticle, 1/10 MIL turrets that go from 0 to 5 MIL in one revolution. First Focal Plain and weather proof. It came with a 3" sunshade that I wouldn't be without. I've dialed from zero to 1000 yard dope and back without issue.

You cannot go wrong with that scope!

Posted By: mustafa

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 07:32 PM

Look at the S&B summit on the 1inch tube. Swarovski also has a ballistic turret in the z3 and up a little cheaper than the S&B summit.

Posted By: BMD

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: mustafa
Look at the S&B summit on the 1inch tube. Swarovski also has a ballistic turret in the z3 and up a little cheaper than the S&B summit.

I am gonna try the Schmidt Bender on my daughters .280 when it is complete after looking thru yours great glass for the money!

Posted By: Banger

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: cd9381
some qualifiers,,
*use= long rangs target out to 600 mostly and hunting
*ruggedness +1
*dusk/dawn clarity +1
*14.5 pwr and up
*mil dot, milr, doa, bplex style reticle+1 (hate nikon's bdc reticle)
*weight and size will have some bearing so +1 for smaller overall pkg
**good customer svc..

Order exactly what you want in a scope and these guys will build it for you. It might take a few months but it will be worth it. They have great glass,great customer service, made here in the USA and are as rugged as the day is long. There are many options to choose from.

Awesome Scopes Click Here

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 09:10 PM

thanks banger..

Posted By: kmon11

Re: 308 build scope - 01/26/11 10:47 PM

I like my Bushnell 6500 mildot scope. 2.5X16 if you want more magnification get teh 5X30. Not a small scope but sofar mine is holding up well on a Anzio 50 BMG.

If money is not an option though then it would be a S&B for me

Posted By: jeffbird

Re: 308 build scope - 01/27/11 05:22 AM

Stretch as hard as you can on the scope and you will be glad you did. Buy once, cry once, and don't look back.

Nightforce as a starting point, and a very good starting point which you will be happy with for a long time. It is a noticeable step up from Leupold, especially for reliability.

I use the Nightforce 5.5x22x56 with NP-R1 reticle and zero stops, and have been very satisfied with it for use similar to what you describe. It has been great for hunting.

If you are feeling flush Schmidt & Bender, or if you have an even bigger budget Hensoldt (Zeiss' top of the line).

Also, check the classifieds at snipershide as there are lots of top end optics posted everyday and you can save a few dollars.

Re: 308 build scope - 01/27/11 01:53 PM

thanks jeff, i think we are currently looking at a nightforce, but we'll look on snipershide

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: 308 build scope - 01/27/11 01:58 PM

NF for sure

Posted By: ccoker

Re: 308 build scope - 01/27/11 05:11 PM

What are you going to use it for?
There's a lot to picking out a scope..
Reticle choices, power range, illuminated or not, weight, glass quality, etc..

budget?

Need to clearly ID intended use and then prioritize needs.

Re: 308 build scope - 01/27/11 07:54 PM

c coker, already answered most of it above.. with the exception of illuminated and that would be a yes.. ***i said pwr range 14.5 and up, ***weight/pkg size smaller=better but is not a deal buster, ***glass quality good for detail long range shootin and dawn/dusk huntin, ***reticles moa, milr, doa, bplex.. any of the ranging reticles ok, just no nikon bdc's. *** no real price limit but i am gonna say that i don't wanna spend more than 2k...

use/application== shootin paper mostly 600 or less, and still hunting box/blind (texas hill country) i have caught some hogs 400 yds out

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum