Texas Hunting Forum

Nikon vs leupold

Posted By: hookemhorns

Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 05:21 AM

Ok I just bought a new rem Sendero in 300 win mag and I'm looking for a new scope. I have been looking at the monarch 4x16x42 and the Leupold vx3 4.5x14x50. So give me some advise on several issues. First which is the better quality? What reticle do you prefer? 1" or 30mm tube? Leupold or talley rings/bases? Obviously there are better scopes to be had but is there anything better for under $600-700. Thanks for the help

Posted By: dmurph12

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 05:26 AM

If you can swing it get a zeiss conquest, ive had both of those scopes mentioned and they were very good scopes, i would lean more to the vx3, but they dont compare to a zeiss

Posted By: BMD

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By: hookemhorns
Ok I just bought a new rem Sendero in 300 win mag and I'm looking for a new scope. I have been looking at the monarch 4x16x42 and the Leupold vx3 4.5x14x50. So give me some advise on several issues. First which is the better quality? What reticle do you prefer? 1" or 30mm tube? Leupold or talley rings/bases? Obviously there are better scopes to be had but is there anything better for under $600-700. Thanks for the help

Zeiss Conquest @ www.cameralndny.com can't beat prices, no tax, Doug is a great guy and easy to deal with.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 05:31 AM

Talley one piece no question!

Posted By: DRT1

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 05:53 AM

i have been experimenting with dnz single piece mounts and love them on my rifles, really like the talley's also. very user friendly.. i am not a big nikon fan after having an issue with one of their scopes i had just as many prblms with their customer support maybe just my luck but i will not use them again. leupolds are great no real cmplaints there, but i also like the burris ff 2 they seem to hold up well on a couple of the rigs i have.. but for overall clarity and ruggedness the bushnell elite series gets my vote.. i have a 300 wsm in a sporter weight and my bushnell elite 3200 5-15x44 holds zero like a champ, and its clarity ((in My opinion for what its worth)) is on par with or better than the leupold. they are impressive scopes and i have heard great things about their customer support..

Posted By: gbeard

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 06:10 AM

Leupold over Nikon any day.

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 06:32 AM

VORTEX Viper.........over both...

ZEISS Conquest over all three...

Posted By: Sami

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 06:33 AM

Out of the two, Nikon is better. Bushnell Elite's can be had for a decent price right now which puts them ahead of both. None of the three compare to Zeiss which can be had at your price range as well.

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 06:44 AM

I love the argument of Nikon vs. Leupold. As stated before, it's like comparing ford to a cadillac, with Nikon being the Ford.
Now for the Zeiss, to me, they arent any better then Leupolds. Eye relief isnt any better, and the clarity is just the same as the VX3. I would also go with Leupold rings and bases, theres a reason why they are so popular. I dont care what people say, Nikon and Bushnell do not compare to Leupold.

Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 07:22 AM

+1
I paid 800 dollars for a Bushnell Elite 6500 and ended up taking it back and getting a $500 VX3 that I like WAY better.

Posted By: hookemhorns

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 07:33 AM

Ok what reticle obj and tube?

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 07:51 AM

Reticle is up to you, but I like the heavy duplex, makes low light shots very easy. 30mm tube as well

Posted By: ScottF

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 01:06 PM

I'd pick the Nikon Monarch over the Leupold VX3. You might also look at Bushnell Elite 4200 or 6500 series that are currently on closeout since a new Elite line is coming in 2011. I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 that is much clearer in low light than a Nikon Monarch or Leupod VX3. Vortex is an up and coming scope company. I have a Vortex Viper PST on order. Zeiss Conquest are excellent but pricy.

Posted By: Sami

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
I love the argument of Nikon vs. Leupold. As stated before, it's like comparing ford to a cadillac, with Nikon being the Ford.

Nikon is a Toyota, Bushnell Elite is an Infiniti and Conquest is your BMW 3-series. I'll give you Cadillac on Leupold as both are living on past reputation. bolt

Posted By: PhilR

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 02:07 PM

I have:

Leupold VX-III
Vortex Viper
Bushnell Elite 3200
Nikon Buckmaster

All are excellent scopes and accomplish the purpose for which I have them mounted very well.

Rings and bases are just like scopes. There is no "best". There are a bunch that do a great job.

Posted By: ruggedcountry

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sami

Nikon is a Toyota, Bushnell Elite is an Infiniti and Conquest is your BMW 3-series. I'll give you Cadillac on Leupold as both are living on past reputation. bolt

Out of luck here, I like Chevy argue

Posted By: JCB

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 03:28 PM

Leupold

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 04:01 PM

No more Leupold for me. sure they have ok customr service but scope failure in the field is still scope failure and I have had 3 scope failures 2 of which were Leupolds and they both died on expensive (to me) hunting trips, glad I had a backup rifle with Nikon attached.

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 04:37 PM

Leupold all the way. I do have one nikon and it's a great scope, but it aint a leupold.

Posted By: gbeard

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 04:49 PM

Now for the Zeiss, to me, they arent any better then Leupolds. Eye relief isnt any better, and the clarity is just the same as the VX3. I would also go with Leupold rings and bases, theres a reason why they are so popular. I dont care what people say, Nikon and Bushnell do not compare to Leupold.

My thoughts exactly. I hear a lot of hype about Conquest scopes but I have never been impressed with one myself. They are Ok but certainly not great.

Posted By: Mr Redneck

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 06:21 PM

I'd go with the one you can afford, and I bet it'll do you a fine job.

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 06:30 PM

not sure if its been said but go to one of the big box stores and look through all of them. Your eyes may see diff't than someone elses.

Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr Redneck
I'd go with the one you can afford, and I bet it'll do you a fine job.

X2, I have Nikon have zero complaints but for my next rifle I'm going to go with a Vortex Viper

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/22/11 08:19 PM

Leupold.

Posted By: SLT

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/23/11 04:38 AM

Nikon

Posted By: dieselgeek

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/23/11 04:56 PM

Leupold

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/23/11 05:09 PM

I have a stainless 300wby Sendero and I put a Leupold VariXIII 4-14x40 and I think its the perfect scope.

dont get a 50mm objective, all it does is raise the ring height and 1" tube I think is the way to go

Posted By: A.B.

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/23/11 05:52 PM

Leupold

Posted By: techfish

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/23/11 10:11 PM

If it was me, I'd spend my $600 on a Meopta. I've tinkered with all brands, and IMHO its the best in that price range.

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/23/11 10:48 PM

Ive got a nikon monarch 4-12x42.
Great scope. No complaints.

Posted By: LuckenbachTexas

Re: Nikon vs leupold - 01/23/11 11:01 PM

I'm well pleased with both on the higher end and more pleased with Nikon on the lower end.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum