Texas Hunting Forum

Gun painting help??

Posted By: RMR

Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 04:17 AM

I want to paint my first gun and I need to know the entire process really. I have a wood stock, blued barrel rifle and I want to paint the entire gun including the barrel and scope. Any and all advice on the process is more than welcome.

Thanks!

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 04:40 AM

Unless your wanting a fancy paint job, Krylon works great for camo paterns! Just clean your rifle up real good and spray.

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 04:44 AM

Yeah I was gonna go with Krylon. I just needed to know basic stuff i guess. Like I heard that I needed to sand the stock. Is there anything I need to do to the barrel. Do I need to prime it. How do I keep paint from getting in the barrel/chamber. All that good stuff!

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 04:52 AM

To be honest with you the only thing you really need to do to prep it is get it good and clean. That Krylon hold up really well withought primer but you could if you wanted. Anything you dont want painted just tape it off. Its not going to hurt anything if you get some over spray if thats what you mean. up

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 04:54 AM

Thanks brandon

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 05:02 AM

No problem man !

What you should do is go on Snipers Hide and check out some of the Krylon paint jobs on rifles. There are all types of tips and tricks on how to as well ! Some of teh best concealment paterns Ive seen have been with a rattle can !! Here are a couple I was going to try and duplicate that I really like.

Posted By: craige

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 05:05 AM

How well with the paint hold up? If you bump it or sit it on a hard surface will the paint just scrape off?

Posted By: jcathunter

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 05:10 AM

If you want something more durable look at cerakote or duracoat. You can get bake on or air dry with both. I've never tried duracoat but absolutely love the bake on cerakote. I've also got a rifle with krylon. Not as durable but really easy to touch up. X2 on checking snipershide. Lots of good info over there.

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 05:22 AM

Originally Posted By: craige
How well with the paint hold up? If you bump it or sit it on a hard surface will the paint just scrape off?

It holds up pretty well. Not quite as good as a durocoat or some of the other methods but it doesnt chip like they do either. high use areas will rub off over time but like jcathunter said , its real easy to touch up ! up

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 05:24 AM

Found what I was looking for. Man, ccoker has some real artwork. I love the way his guns turned out!

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ope#Post1237853

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 07:09 AM

This is the best one with just a little less white ! Pretty similar to the ones I posted above! Really like that scheme !! flehan

Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 05:53 PM

Brandon put it perfectly. I've only used Krylon but I love it. The areas where you grip do wear down but a touch is just a spray away. Plus the Krylon doesn't break the bank.

Posted By: ccoker

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 06:17 PM

done quite a few with Krylon (including the AR above)
use a whole can of brake cleaner to clean the gun

mask off what you don't want sprayed and go to town

I have always started with a base coat of OD green
then alternated brown, tan and touches of black

worse case scenario: don't like it? just clean it off with brake cleaner and start over!

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ccoker
done quite a few with Krylon (including the AR above)
use a whole can of brake cleaner to clean the gun

mask off what you don't want sprayed and go to town

I have always started with a base coat of OD green
then alternated brown, tan and touches of black

worse case scenario: don't like it? just clean it off with brake cleaner and start over!

So you can use brake cleaner on wood?

Posted By: Koenig

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 06:59 PM

If i were to spray finish a gun id use duracoat, Iv had good results w/ it. Have you considered selling the gun and getting a synthetic matte gun?

Re: Gun painting help?? - 07/19/10 07:10 PM

No I like the gun. Just want to paint it and it is really the only one I can see painting because I am worried I would screw the other ones up and they are too valueable to mess up.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum