Texas Hunting Forum

Whats a good leupold scope?

Posted By: countryboyz

Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 08:34 PM

soon im getting a new gun, and i want to put a leupold scope on it. i was wanting to no whats a good leupold scope i could get wothout spending a lot of money?

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 08:36 PM

most all of Leupold scopes are good scopes.. But tend to be a higher price point then some of the compeitors that make equal or better scopes..

Whats your price point

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 08:41 PM

Not true. There's very few that measure up and they're at least the same price. I've looked through plenty and own a VX-III which is what I recommend.

Posted By: scot

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 08:46 PM

If you can't afford a VX-III I'd consider something Nikon or Burris...

Posted By: Driller

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 08:47 PM

VX-1 or better are good scopes. IMO

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: devildog28
Not true. There's very few that measure up and they're at least the same price. I've looked through plenty and own a VX-III which is what I recommend.

yes it is.. if you think that VX-III is better then the Ziess Conquest for the same money.. then i don't know what to tell you. Not to mention they are other companies out there that CS, warrenty, and glass that blow Leupold out of the water such as vortex.

fact is Leupold price point on both the VXII and VX III is to high compared for an equal quality glass and warrenty from other companies.

Posted By: jmoore

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 09:19 PM

what Driller said. what is your budget?

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jmoore

probably $600 and under

Posted By: jmoore

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/25/10 09:41 PM

VX III is a great scope

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 12:03 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&hasJS=true

0ut of all of these which one is a low price, yet a good power?

Posted By: ghostrider

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 12:10 AM

I'd get The 3.5-10. not sure how far you shoot, but it's goes low enough for close shots and 10X will get you out to 600 yards easy.

Posted By: Proximity

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 02:44 AM

i just bought a VX-I for my R700 and i love it. The II and III were a little out of my price range (in a tight budget)but i really like it. I had a 2-7 Leupold on it before and my VX-I is 3-9X40. Crystal Clear and lets in a ton of light.

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Proximity
i just bought a VX-I for my R700 and i love it. The II and III were a little out of my price range (in a tight budget)but i really like it. I had a 2-7 Leupold on it before and my VX-I is 3-9X40. Crystal Clear and lets in a ton of light.

How much did you pay for it

Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 03:31 AM

Whatever you do, do not get the Rifleman series. There the low end and they mean it...

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick
Whatever you do, do not get the Rifleman series. There the low end and they mean it...

Not to get off of topic, but i've had to Leupold Rifleman's. One 3-9X50 on a Savage 7mm rem mag and have put right at 500 rounds through it with the riflman and never had a problem. I'm shooting 12" groups at 110yards. Second one i have is a 3-9X40 that was on a Remington 700 5R .308 for a little less than 2 years. Never had one hiccup out of it either. have around 1000 rounds through it. Maybe i've gotten lucky, but both hold light really well at dawn and dusk and i've never had to resite one, and i'm not easy on my rifles. They are made to hunt and that's what they do.

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: ghostrider
Originally Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick

Not to get off of topic, but i've had to Leupold Rifleman's. One 3-9X50 on a Savage 7mm rem mag and have put right at 500 rounds through it with the riflman and never had a problem. I'm shooting 12" groups at 110yards. Second one i have is a 3-9X40 that was on a Remington 700 5R .308 for a little less than 2 years. Never had one hiccup out of it either. have around 1000 rounds through it. Maybe i've gotten lucky, but both hold light really well at dawn and dusk and i've never had to resite one, and i'm not easy on my rifles. They are made to hunt and that's what they do.

That is not a selling point!

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 01:16 PM

I think he meant 1/2"

Posted By: prohunter2011

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 01:44 PM

nikon nikon nikon,nothing else

Posted By: retrieverman

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: countryboyz
Originally Posted By: jmoore

probably $600 and under

For $400+/-, you can get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, and I would take it over a Leupold any day. For my eyes, the light gathering and clarity beats anything in that price range.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Leupold scopes, but I wouldn't even consider anything below a VX-II. I am not sure which ones, but some of their lower end scopes are made in China.

I just had a thought. If you are willing to spend $600, you might be able to find a Swarovski AV series, and I would recommend an AV over Zeiss or Leupold.

Posted By: Teal28

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 07:41 PM

What about the Nikon Bushmasters? I got a 4.5x14x40 and Love it.

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 08:07 PM

sorry about that yea i meant 1/4" groups

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ghostrider
sorry about that yea i meant 1/4" groups

I figured you meant 1/2" but I couldn't help myself. grin

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/26/10 08:21 PM

lol yea i had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, and the pills they got me on kinda mess me up lol.

Posted By: DTC3

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/27/10 01:43 AM

I've got a x bolt browning .270 wsm medallion and i just put a VXII Leupold 3x9x40 on it and buddy its DEAD accurate. Take my word for it you don't have to spend 5 or even 600.00 to take down a hog, deer, or whatevers between your crosshairs. You can pick one of these up for a little over 300 dollars and i'd recommend it to anyone.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/27/10 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

yes it is.. if you think that VX-III is better then the Ziess Conquest for the same money.. then i don't know what to tell you. Not to mention they are other companies out there that CS, warrenty, and glass that blow Leupold out of the water such as vortex.

fact is Leupold price point on both the VXII and VX III is to high compared for an equal quality glass and warrenty from other companies.

Ummm all I said was that anything better or the same would cost at least as much as a VX-3. I never said that a VX-3 was the best.

Posted By: yukons95

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/28/10 06:24 AM

all leupolds are excellent scopes. if they break or mess up you have one of the best lifetime warrantys in the business. no questions asked.

Posted By: TDK

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/28/10 06:31 AM

Personally I wouldnt go with anything under a VX-II. Anything less you get friction adjustement which is unacceptable when you have competitors like you do today. VXII and up.

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/28/10 05:31 PM

okay i think i have made my mind up on the leupold VX-3 3.5-10

Posted By: retrieverman

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/28/10 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: countryboyz
okay i think i have made my mind up on the leupold VX-3 3.5-10

Good choice! up

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/28/10 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Ummm all I said was that anything better or the same would cost at least as much as a VX-3. I never said that a VX-3 was the best.

up Don't get me wrong i like leupold just no the price for what you get.

Posted By: jkmccoy11

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/28/10 09:34 PM

bushnell elite 4200 if your not looking to spend alot and get a 6500 elite if your wanting a nice one for a little more

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/29/10 12:55 AM

sorry bobo, nothing out there is better than leupolds warranty! nikon maybe? i have sent two scopes in the past one was just for a reticle change which it cost me the other for repair and know couple of other people that have sent in for repair also. Not once did they even ask if i had a receipt or original owner. just send them in at the most 2 week turnaround. for the price "any" price leupold is hard to beat. every guide i had been with 9 out of 10 have been using leupolds, i wonder why? maybe they break easily, are not fogproof, lose their sight adjustment, are cheap scopes????one was even using a rifleman model leupold scope!

Posted By: Teal28

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/29/10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Teal28
What about the Nikon Bushmasters? I got a 4.5x14x40 and Love it.
I ment buckmaster.

Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/29/10 03:05 PM

To me, the most important thing is holding zero. From everything caliber to to a 300 min mag, I've never had or heard from a personal friend that a Leupold did not hold zero.

So i would say, get the highest level based on what you are willing to pay for in clarity. Because that is the only real difference, other than obvious stuff like special reticles and AO. At some point, the amount in cost increase from one level to another only buys you a mrginal increase in clarity. That's just something you will have to determine.

When I was looking for mine, i thought there was a significant enough jump in clarity from the Rifleman to the VXI to the VXII, but stopped being worth it from VXII to VX3. So for me, I settled on getting a VXII at the power and features I wanted.

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/29/10 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
To me, the most important thing is holding zero. From everything caliber to to a 300 min mag, I've never had or heard from a personal friend that a Leupold did not hold zero.

So i would say, get the highest level based on what you are willing to pay for in clarity. Because that is the only real difference, other than obvious stuff like special reticles and AO. At some point, the amount in cost increase from one level to another only buys you a mrginal increase in clarity. That's just something you will have to determine.

When I was looking for mine, i thought there was a significant enough jump in clarity from the Rifleman to the VXI to the VXII, but stopped being worth it from VXII to VX3. So for me, I settled on getting a VXII at the power and features I wanted.

I have a VX II 3-9X50 with hvy duplex that has been a good scope. I think I would have gotten another Burris if I had it to do over though.

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/30/10 06:23 AM

exactly, look at all the benchrest shooters. most if not all will be using leupolds. those shooters need to use a scope that looks clear, and most of all be consistent on holding it's zero. you get everything in a leupold.

Posted By: TDK

Re: Whats a good leupold scope? - 06/30/10 06:37 AM

A lot of the bench guys are shooting Leupolds, but once you get to that level you also get a lot of Nightforce and S&B...

Leupold is good stuff, just dont go below a VX-II like stated earlier. I've been impressed with some of Burris stuff too lately. There not to far from me either...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum