Texas Hunting Forum

Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope?

Posted By: jeep8630

Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 03:09 PM

First I want to thank everyone for their help on assisting me in my first deer rifle decision. Now since everyone says glass is so important I wanted to get some opinions on which scope to mount on what looks like is going to be a Marlin Xl7 .270.

I am currently considering the Burris Fullfield II, the Nikon Buckmaster, and the Nikon Monarch but will of course consider other scopes as well. I am wondering if the Monarch is worth the extra money or not as I wouldn't mind getting some binos too.

Thank you for your help

Posted By: mbavo

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 03:19 PM

I love the burris fulffield II. i dont think you can beat them for their price.

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: mbavo

x2

Posted By: scot

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 03:32 PM

Go to SWFA and buy a Nikon Team Primos 3-9 for $200 not a bad deal at all on the scope.

I'd probably list them Buckmaster, Fullfield then Monarch but everything I've read says Nikons Customer service is dreadful so that might be a deciding factor for you.

Posted By: Koenig

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 03:44 PM

The Nikon Prostaff line isn't too shabby. But i own the FF2 and bushmasters and like them both the same. Forget the BDC or bullet drop reticle, if the scope is cheaper w/o it go that way and save some cash.

Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 04:21 PM

Buckmaster

Monarch is really the best value (noticably more than Buckmaster with marginal jump in quality).
I know I will get reemed for the following, but I just don't like Burris scopes. FFII is not a bad product, I just think the buckmaster is a better deal and better quality scope.

When you compare apples to apples to apples, seems like the buckmaster comes out as the clear winner. btw, I have the buckmaster listed below and had a 3-9x40 FF2.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-riflescope-buckmasters-4-14x40.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-monarch-4-16x42sf-riflescopes.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-45-14x42mm-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.html

Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 05:16 PM

Burris FFII 4.5-14 265.00 shipped New scope
http://cgi.ebay.com/200183-Burris-Fullfi...=item5ada3624e3

Nikon Monarch 3-12 346.95 shipped New scope
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Monarch-3-12x4...=item3cacceeae5

I had a couple FFII and buckmaster, they are good scopes, but I think the Monarch is the better scope, but of course it's a little more also!! I think the Nikon's will have a little more eye relief then the Burris. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three for a good hard working riflescope in that price range.

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 05:50 PM

I have a couple of the FFII 4.5-14x42 and couldn't be happier with them.

Originally Posted By: huntandfish
Burris FFII 4.5-14 265.00 shipped New scope
http://cgi.ebay.com/200183-Burris-Fullfi...=item5ada3624e3

That's a GREAT price on those. They're usually in the $325 - $375 price range. I guess I'll get another one of them, so I can buy another gun to put it on. grin

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 05:55 PM

Burris.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 06:07 PM

Burris...... let me know if I can get you one

Posted By: watchale

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 06:23 PM

I have a burris ffII. I compared it with a buckmaster side by side and I took the burris. The buckmaster wasn't any clearer than the burris. The monarch would be the best choice if u have the extra $ though.

Posted By: ccoker

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/16/10 06:25 PM

My take, the Monarch has better glass
I haven't been very impressed with the few Burris products I have owned.

I would also recommend checking out the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40

Ideally, go to a place that will let you take them outside right as darkness falls.. that's when the differences become obvious

Posted By: A.B.

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/17/10 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Burris...... let me know if I can get you one

Id take the man up on that deal. You will never regret the Burris.

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/17/10 01:16 AM

fowlplayer hit it right on the head!!!!

My 300wby has a burris full field 2 4-14x42 on it and its a GREAT SCOPE! for the money.

it is the only scope I own that is not a leupold gold ring and....I used it to take my biggest buck ever at 328yds

got it off ebay and it came with a free set of Binos as well

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/17/10 01:23 AM

I came to the Burris by accident, was a Leupold guy, but didn't have one right sized when I got my most prized rifle 3 years ago, a Remmy 750 Carbine in 308....

I wanted to take it that weekend and the Burris was the only scope sized/magnified right (FFII 3-9x40) for the compact gun.

Those that know me will vouch when I say I treat guns as tools, and that one probably the worst ever, it's been 2k miles on my fourwheeler, in the seat/floorboard of the truck, shipped three times in an airplane, and is still dead nuts on.....

Auodad at 268, OSOK/ZDRT...

It's been hit dropped banged wet, muddy, and still right on.......

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/17/10 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: ccoker

I would also recommend checking out the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40

These are very nice scopes too. Some say optically as good as Zeiss Conquests. I have both. Lets just say the Bushnell was almost $200 cheaper and not that much different.

Posted By: jeep8630

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/17/10 05:31 PM

Thank ya'll for all of your help. I think I am going to take ccoker's advise and check out all of the scopes mentioned at Cabelas right after sunset to see which one I really like. I will let ya'll know which one I go with and hopefully post a picture of my first buck this year.

Thanks again.

Posted By: mbavo

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/17/10 08:23 PM

cool. let us know what you decide on.

Posted By: Bud1

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/17/10 08:56 PM

I like leupold, vxII would be worth a look, IMO. Great dawn and dusk view.

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/17/10 08:58 PM

X2 of the leupold vx2. Even the vx1 is a great scope. All I use for deer hunting is leupold.

Posted By: .308TAC

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/20/10 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: mbavo

best scope for the money!!

Posted By: Rowney

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/20/10 07:26 PM

i have a burris fullfield, monarch, buckmaster, and leupy's. Monarch hands down.

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/20/10 07:33 PM

Of the 2 id go with nikon. Burris sucks imo

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/20/10 07:34 PM

If you want a real good scope go buy the leupold thats for sale in the classified section.

Posted By: jmoore

Re: Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmaster, or Nikon Monarch for first deer rifle scope? - 06/21/10 08:30 PM

Look at a Sightron S2. They are in the same price range as the ones you are considering. Chuck Hawks loves them and I've never seen a bad review.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum