Texas Hunting Forum

Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 01:17 PM

I have a rifled barrel for my Remington 870 Magumn. I intend to hunt dear with it in the fall. What is the best ammo to use?

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 01:32 PM

For a rifled barrel use slugs.

Posted By: Johnny Lobos

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 01:33 PM

The expensive stuff is best but I suggest you try the standard foster type at your ranges first. If they do you good, its a lot cheaper.

The new type slugs also have a higher ricochet distance than a 30.06

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 01:48 PM

Since it's a rifled bbl you can use sabots. These will probably provide the best accuracy. If it shoots standard fosters well, though, they are a bit cheaper. It's not like you're shooting rounds of skeet with it every weekend, though, so a few more $$ to feed it what it likes best may be worth it.

Posted By: Texas Proud

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 02:34 PM

Sabots is what you'd want to use.

I use Winchester partition Gold 2 3/4" shells in my Mossberg. It groups very well out to 100yds.

Beware you may have issues like I did when it is new. I run a few rifle slugs down the barrel after nothing would group at 50yds. I then cleaned it and retried a few of the sabots and then it really started to group for me. I'm sure the machining of the rifling had a burr or something that was throwing off the sabot.

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 03:45 PM

If I were shooting a hundred yards, I wouldn't even consider those high dollar missiles.

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 04:17 PM

Id go for the sabot slugs, high dollar yes but lie stated before they are made for rifled barrels.

Sabot slugs were devoloped for states where shot guns are the only option for deer season and with rifled barrels and sabot slugs they have really come along way.

As stated above....your not shoot skeet with it, and you can buy them in packs of 5 so you can try 3-4 different brands instead of buying a box of 20 like rifle shells.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 04:42 PM

Probably the Hornadys or whatever Shockey uses

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 04:43 PM

"devoloped for states where shot guns are the only option for deer season and with rifled barrels and sabot slugs"

The funny thing about that is, ALL of the test show them to be more of a danger to bystanders than a rifle. I was pretty much blown away by the ballistics and ricochet test reports compared to the 30.06 a few years back.

If you can afford them, the sabots are a better choice. They sure make the case that a 20 gauge with two barrels is the only gun you need.

Posted By: crazyal

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 08:32 PM

I use hastings 3" mag laser sabot slugs

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Johnny Loco
"devoloped for states where shot guns are the only option for deer season and with rifled barrels and sabot slugs"

The funny thing about that is, ALL of the test show them to be more of a danger to bystanders than a rifle. I was pretty much blown away by the ballistics and ricochet test reports compared to the 30.06 a few years back.

If you can afford them, the sabots are a better choice. They sure make the case that a 20 gauge with two barrels is the only gun you need.

I read that online they are actually more dangerous because you shooting basically a 50 cal round just as far as a rifle and brush or other obstacles will not deflect it like it will a rifled round. I hunt on public land that only allows shotgun that is why I was asking.

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/20/10 10:43 PM

I have but one shotgun left. If I were back shotgunning a rifled barrel is nice.

I wish you good huntin, you gonna scope her?

Posted By: Omaney

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 04/21/10 02:36 AM

Sabots for a fully rifled barrel.

Re: Best Ammo for a Rifled Barrel - 05/19/10 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Johnny Loco
I have but one shotgun left. If I were back shotgunning a rifled barrel is nice.

I wish you good huntin, you gonna scope her?

Yep I am plan on going with a Reddot.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum