Texas Hunting Forum

8mm Mauser

Posted By: tth_40

8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 04:30 AM

Who here likes and uses this round? I have several, and personally can't get enough of all things Mauser action based.

Posted By: t george

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 05:01 AM

I like the round... dont have a firearm right now that shoots it, but that just cuz grandpa's k98 was promised to my older brother befor I had a say in such things... at least its in good hands!

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 05:12 AM

k98 is an awesome rifle...where it all started and the standard by which bolt actions are judged. Sorry, I get all squishy on that subject. M-48's and Yugo 24/47's are pretty sweet too..I have a few of each and for the most part, they are all above average in the accuracy department.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 06:22 AM

I have a czech Mauser that's very smooth. I've only shot it once with puny American ammo. Someday I'd like to take a hog with it.

Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 03:50 PM

i have a sporterized g-98 that my wife picked up at an estate sale for 50$. it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Posted By: 1911guncrazy

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 03:55 PM

Oh god! I have Surplus covered with more coming!!! 2 k98's, M48, M48a, Jap 7.7, Czech, 24-47, 24-52c.....List keeps going! These rounds are a blast!

Posted By: Brownwood

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 06:14 PM

Love the 8MM Mauser. Kicks a bit but its a great game killer when handloaded.

Posted By: bigtuna

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 06:44 PM

Not to hijack but I'm really curious about where you guys find your surplus stuff. I have been looking for a good condition k98 and non crapco'd yugo SKS for awhile now.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bigtuna
Not to hijack but I'm really curious about where you guys find your surplus stuff. I have been looking for a good condition k98 and non crapco'd yugo SKS for awhile now.

Just keep your eyes open! I got a few off here! My K98 and My M48A. Just have to keep looking!

Posted By: raiderJ

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 09:59 PM

I have one and Love it! Its my favorite rifle! i have never had a deer run 20 yards! Its a model 98 sporterized. Kick a bit but there is not a gun out there I would trade it for!

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 11:44 PM

bigtuna, try Military Gun Supply in S.E. Fort Worth..they normally have tons of 24/47's, some M-48's and k98's, Brit. Enfields, Russian 91/30's (those things are a BLAST to shoot, and the ammo is still pretty reasonable), SKS's, K-31 Swiss, and even the odd M-39 Swede sometimes. If you have a Type 03 C&R FFL (I do) then you get a 10% discount there and/or you can order online from LOTS of places and have it shipped directly to you.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/14/10 11:49 PM

I've been loading the 8mm Mauser for a few years now and have taken several hogs with it, along with two or three deer. All the Mausers I've got shoot extremely well with Sierra 175 gr. Prohunters over IMR4064 powder. It hits HARD.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 12:01 AM

Jeff, that's a SWEET large ring you got there! Have you ever thought about restoring it back with a full length military stock? Looks great like it is (I'll bet it handles really well)..but something to think about. That almost looks like a cut down VZ24 or M-48 stock..

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 01:00 AM

1911, I have the same disease....there are never enough. Lookin' at Garands now...Lord help me!

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
1911, I have the same disease....there are never enough. Lookin' at Garands now...Lord help me!

YOU AND ME BOTH! Just a pretty penny! I have a 1903 springfield that i am going to put back in the correct stock! Its a mean dude!

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 03:00 AM

Love my K98k bcd4..I handload from mild to not so mild...

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 05:10 AM

1911, I have an 03-A3 that is the cat's posterior at the range...in the original militay stock. Super accurate with handloads, and above average with surplus. I love the heck out of that rifle...though a Garand may be cool...I'm not really sure about the added expense of having to feed it. Have you seen what CMP is charging for surplus '06 ammo? I may just try to find another 03-A3.. maybe a restoration job...after I'm done with the No.1 MkIII, and the full on restoration of the M-39..hell, I may never have enough time to get to it!!

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 05:12 AM

What weight/ mfg. bullets are you using in that BCD, RWH?

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 05:16 AM

One of my favorite rifles to play around with is a restored (by me) Yugo 24/47 that I've mounted a L.E.R. scout scope on. That rifle is DEADLY out to 300 yards+ and that's in the full length military stock. It's too bad that 8mm Mauser hasn't caught on with more popularity here in the states..

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 12:15 PM

What weight/ mfg. bullets are you using in that BCD, RWH?

The bullet weight is a 150gr, Horn, Sierra or Speer brand. I use IMR 4064...

I basically duplicate the feeble factory loads. Fun to shoot for extended periods too.

My next bullets may be the Rem 185gr Midway sells....I really like big slow bullets.....Keep talking to myself about a 45/70, 38/55 or a 375 Win in a Marlin brand

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 03:07 PM

I tried a friend's 45-70 Gov't once..unfortunately was shooting it out of a New England Firearms SB2 rifle. I'll never ever do that again..OUCH!!

Posted By: jds15151

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 05:18 PM

Love the 8mm. 12+ K98's and counting.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 05:22 PM

12+? Dang...I only have 8! cheers

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 05:34 PM

I have more rifles in 8mm Mauser than most of y'all have rifles. I have a lifetime supply of Turkish 8mm to use with them, but I usually pull bullets and re-weigh the powder for reduced power, more accurate target loads. Buried in safes, but I will post up two or three of my more interesting ones from my collection that I already have pics of.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 05:42 PM

I started out doing that exact same thing, John..average out the powder loads on the surplus stuff, much better consistency and cheaper. The way that 198 grain FMJ yaws when it hits a hog is surprising, only did that twice, though. 8mm is still my favorite pig load.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: jds15151
Love the 8mm. 12+ K98's and counting.

12+ oh my!!! You have K98's down! You dont need anymore! Start buying others! lol They are way to addicting!

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 06:05 PM

1911, I have an 03-A3 that is the cat's posterior at the range...in the original militay stock. Super accurate with handloads, and above average with surplus. I love the heck out of that rifle...though a Garand may be cool...I'm not really sure about the added expense of having to feed it. Have you seen what CMP is charging for surplus '06 ammo? I may just try to find another 03-A3.. maybe a restoration job...after I'm done with the No.1 MkIII, and the full on restoration of the M-39..hell, I may never have enough time to get to it!!

No I have not! I just keep hand loading! The Grand is expensive but i really like them! Lol I just bought a P38 the other day! Its mint...

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 07:05 PM

A few 8mm rifles you don't see every day.

Romanian VZ24 Sniper Rifle

Pair of 8mm "Enfausers". One with provenance to a member of Company G of the 6th Infantry, Melbourne Australia which was part of a citizen volunteer Militia before formation of Australia's AIF sent to Gallipoli. The rifle would have been left behind or captured at Gallipoli and later converted to the 8mm Mauser by the Turks. The other was made from a Long Lee, also with some Gallipoli provenence. Notice the front half of the rifles are basically converted to Model 38 Mauser.

Another rifle from those crazy Turks. A Gew88 Carbine.

M48 Sniper Rifle used by Islamic Iranian Mujahedin. Imported from Bosnia.

I have a Parade Gew88 that has some provenance to someone that was an officer in Ecuador's Presidential Guard. Really neat rifle, but having a hard time figuring out what I did with the picture. If you know how to get in touch with this guy and if he is still alive. I would love to talk with him and find out why he no longer has this rifle.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 07:32 PM

Gotta love those scoped VZ24's and M48's!! Wonder if that guy's nickname was "che" too...

Posted By: jds15151

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/15/10 07:59 PM

At one point my goal was to get one from every manufacturer with every code variation. Kids and hunting have slowed my progress. But hey, my son will have a hell of a collection to sell one day.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/16/10 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: jds15151
At one point my goal was to get one from every manufacturer with every code variation. Kids and hunting have slowed my progress. But hey, my son will have a hell of a collection to sell one day.

That would be quite an undertaking, but sounds like a fun collection focus to work towards. My three collection goals have been a collection of various models of swedish military rifles. Those are mostly mausers, but I have some rolling blocks with that. I have a collection of pre 1899 Mausers, just because. And though not a mauser thing, I have a basic collection striving for every model of US military rifle. In some cases by manufacturer, such as with Garands. And then of course I have the curio accumulation of rifles with no real focus other than they be significant either due to a unique design or by some historical provenance to person, place, or conflict. Those could be anything, but includes a few mausers.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/16/10 02:27 AM

I am accumulating (or am attempting to) at least one example of each type of rifle used by the major players in WWII, Allies and Axis. That's one of the reasons why I'm looking at Garands now.

Posted By: BoomStick

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/17/10 01:46 AM

I just have a 1940 turk mauser right now. I love it. I refinished the stock and put a ati scope mount on it with a 6x24x42 scope on it. I have loaded some rounds with H4895 and 180gr nosler ballistic tips. Cant wait to shoot em. But more over i love the mauser rnd. I also love the surplus rilfes. i have a mosin 91/30, and M44(my hand cannon). I also have a swiss K-31, which is the most accurate surplus rifle i have ever shot.

Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/21/10 03:48 PM

i did have a dream of restoring it to original and getting a few other old military rifles but then reality kicked in. i own a couple of rentals that keep me busy or soccer practice for the kids or something else the wife wants me to do. some day i will have the time and money to actually do some of the things i dreamed of.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/22/10 04:56 AM

WOOHOO!!! Just got a Pattern 17 Eddystone today from a friend who scored big at an estate sale (in pristine condition). Got it and a Thompson Center .50 cal. Hawken percussion sidelock. Now I need a Garand..

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/22/10 05:50 AM

Congratulations!!! Good score! I have a nice Eddystone myself. Note that Pattern 17 would be a British designation as was Pattern 14 which the tooling was changed from when the US finished the British contract. A more correct designation for your rifle is "United States Model of 1917" or "US Rifle Cal. 30, M1917". Though this is a WWI rifle, it actually fits in your WWII collection as it was issued to some US rear-echelon troops and given "lend lease" to some Allied Contries. Used by the British Home Guard as one example.

Now a hole not filled in my US collection is a "US Rifle Model of 1916" wink I'm till looking for the right one.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/22/10 06:35 AM

That would be the same hole in my collection, John. The same friend that got me this rifle has a 1917 Eddystone that was a lend-lease rifle and was returned from Canada. Some VERY interesting history with these weapons.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/22/10 08:18 AM

Yes sir, as you can probably tell. I am fascinated by the history behind the US issued weapons. My Eddystone was also a lend lease rifle returned from Canada. Many from the same shipment that mine came from had a band of paint on them. Done so they could separate them from the P14 due to the different caliber. I shot mine in a CMP match once and despite being short a few rounds during the rapid fire, I still outshot a bunch of highfalutin AR Target shooters with that rifle.

The hole (US Model of 1916) is actually the Remington or Westinghouse Mosin Nagant. Never really a primary US weapon. But I would like to find a representative one since they were issued to the American Expeditionary Force when they were sent to Russia in 1918. As well, I would like to find a representative Berthier Lebel 1907-15 due to those being issued to the Harlem Hellcats under French command in WW1.

Re: 8mm Mauser - 04/23/10 05:41 PM

Yup. I have my Tula's and my Ishy's and M39's..but it would be WONDERFUL to have a 1916 Remington Nagant. Haven't really done any research into the Lebel's as of yet..but the history behind these rifles is downright awesome. My friend's 1917 has that same paint stripe on it..faded, but it's there. I have a Savage No.4 Mk.I that I want to take out and shoot side by side with the Eddystone and see how it does.. hopefully within the next week or two.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum