Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th!

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/24/14 03:26 PM

Hunting Challenge- Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details

Come show off your gear and shooting ability! We plan to gear this match for hunters and first time "match" shooters. We want targets big enough for hits, but small enough to make it challenging. Range Officers will provide plenty of assistance and guidance, if needed.

Date: Saturday, March 15th, 2014
Time: Check-in begins at 8am, Confirm rifle zero at 100 yards (highly encouraged!) from 8-8:30 am. Match starts at 9 am til about 12 or 1 pm, or until complete
Cost- $50 per shooter
Location- Wolfe City, TX
Number of shooters- 35
Round Count- 50 rifle rounds (bring 60 just in case)

1st place- $100 cash
2nd- $75 cash
3rd-5th get their $50 entry fee back
There will also be some prizes. Jason will donate a free shooting lesson and Custom Reloads will donate some ammo certificates, and maybe a raffle or two.

SIGN UP- Go to www.dallasreloads.com, and on the top right of the home page you will see "Hunting Challenge- Rifle Competition". Click on link, and follow the directions. Payment is due upon sign-up by mailing a check payable to:

Jason Garvey
2560 King Arthur Blvd
Suite 124 PMB 72
Lewisville, TX 75056

Non refundable payment is due immediately upon sign-up. There will be a max of 35 shooters. Once the 35 shooter limit is reached, we will have a waiting list. Entry form is time stamped and money received will be the deciding factors on when the 35th shooter limit is reached.

Competition will be held Saturday, March 15th. The location of the match will be just outside of Wolfe City, TX, between Wolfe City and Bailey, near Highway 11. Cost is $50 per shooter.

Rifle and ammunition information: Max speed limit of 3100 fps! No FMJ bullets. Calibers we could NOT run are 22-250 or 223 Rem running faster than 3000-3100 fps. Anything faster than 3100 fps will dent the steel, or poke through the steel. If you have a question on this, please contact us. Your fast, hot-rod rounds (like a 257 Weatherby) would not be allowed, simply due to the speed of the bullet and damaging the steel targets. Your 308 Win, 270 Win, 7 Mag, 300 Win Mag, should be fine. Round count should be around 40-50 rounds, with each stage having no more than 3 to 5 rounds per stage. The idea of this match is to expose hunters to some challenging and fun courses of fire, while putting you under the time clock for the added stress to make a hit. Scopes that can dial for elevation are welcomed. This match is geared for the basic factory hunting rifles, not the high end competition rifles. Bring any shooting gear you will need to shoot this match- bipods, back packs, ruck sacks, rear sand bags, etc. Each shooter will have a set up time, and then their stage will begin. If you need a loaner rifle, I will offer up my bolt gun 270 Winchester and my suppressed Remington model 7 in 300 Black Out, if you pay for the ammo.

Match details:
We plan to gear this match for the first time "match" shooters. We want targets big enough for hits, but small enough to make it challenging. Stages would consist of steel and reactive targets out to 300 yards. Some shooting positions would be from a bench, prone, standing off-hand, kneeling, off a T-post, off a barricade, and out a deer blind window. Reactive targets would be 2" clay pigeons, steel coyote targets, steel 4" poppers, KYL (know your limits) and any other steel targets or stages we can think of and can come up with. All stages would have a generous time limit to complete the stage. Most targets will be a "HIT" or a "MISS". Whoever has the most points at the end, wins! Here are a few of the ideas we have so far:

KYL (know your limits)- steel
Shooting Off T-post
5 shot- 1" Dot drill at 100 yards
Coyote- steel
Pepper poppers- from the front of a shooting chair mounted on a truck
2” Clay Pigeons, 4” clays between 150 and 200 yards
Deer stand shot- steel plates
Gobbler chair shot- with shooting sticks
Prarie Dog poppers off truck
Plus more!
Maybe a few bonus stages mixed in.

We are thinking about 8-10 stages, maybe 12.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/25/14 01:32 AM

That sounds fun, but are those payouts correct? 35 shooters @ $50 first pays out $100?

I've never shot a match, so I don't know how it's usually structured.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/25/14 01:36 AM

popcorn

Here we go again.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/25/14 03:50 AM

Sounds like a fair deal to me. It's 20 bucks to get on a regular rifle range. Don't care about the prize money, would be fun to shoot at multiple stages. Good job Chad, hope you fill the spots. I would be there but have prior commitments that day! Darn it.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/25/14 02:01 PM

It's pure cash, tax free. A lot of matches have a prize table from donated items by mfg and sponsors. We are keeping it simple. I may send an email or two to a few sponsors and see what prizes we may get. I'll post it here if so. Thanks!
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/25/14 05:48 PM

A hunting challenge and everyone of my rifles are over quailified, go figure!
Posted By: That 1 GUy

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/25/14 06:54 PM

Really looking forward to this, I kinda feel like a kid waiting on Christmas to get here.

Chris

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/25/14 07:57 PM

It's just over 2 weeks out!
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/26/14 01:21 AM

Looking forward to this. I need to go out at shoot my rifle to make sure I know what it is going to do. Chad I have two questions for you, one did you get my check cause it hasn't cashed when I last looked and two let me know and I will put a Primos Game camera on the table.

Walter

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/26/14 03:19 AM

Chad,
I too would like to know if you received my check, thank you.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/26/14 02:10 PM

Yes, I sure did! Thank you! The checks come to my mail box, but I have to get them to Jason.

Walter, that would be great! I am sending an email to Vortex to see if they wouldn't mind putting a few items on the prize table also.

Thanks!!

Chad

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/27/14 02:09 PM

We need more shooters to sign up!!!! I'm surprised we don't have more than we do. This will be a fun match with some good stages to shoot. Several stages are the most fun I have shot over the years.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/27/14 06:04 PM

Well, I tried to post it up on the classifieds section and it got killed off. I did list it on the Texas Fishing Forum though.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/28/14 05:33 PM

So, just wondering if we can convert this to something else just in case we don't hit 30?

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/28/14 06:38 PM

I have cross posted this on another site I am part of (smaller, much smaller) as there are several gun enthusiast there. I have received several, "I will see if I can" and "Not sure if I am off" responses to which I stated that payment will need to be made to reserve your spot.

Hopefully some of those guys send in checks, lol

Chris

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 02/28/14 07:32 PM

Yep , me too, Fishing Forum, Savage Shooters and Craigs list.
We may have to sell lemonade an cookies on the side of the road to make up the difference.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 04:08 PM

bump

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 04:19 PM

We need at least 15 more shooters for this to happen!
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
That sounds fun, but are those payouts correct? 35 shooters @ $50 first pays out $100?

I've never shot a match, so I don't know how it's usually structured.

So you have never shot a match and want to complain about the prizes? This guy is going to have to pay for the range fee, set the targets, round up the props, and get everything in order. At the end of it all, he MAY pocket $10 a shooter.

I would love to shoot it, but I must run a three gun match that day. Good luck and have fun!

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

So what it...and its just a "what if" but say, what if everyone who has obligated (assuming no issues of course) decides to bring an extra $10 with em? Then how many shooters are we down?

smile Just trying to think out of the box as I am really looking forward to this

<---first comp of any kind with regards to shooting

Chris

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 05:35 PM

I'll talk to Jason and see.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: That 1 GUy
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

So what it...and its just a "what if" but say, what if everyone who has obligated (assuming no issues of course) decides to bring an extra $10 with em? Then how many shooters are we down?

smile Just trying to think out of the box as I am really looking forward to this

<---first comp of any kind with regards to shooting

Chris

Me too. First match ever, just want to do something. I figure after paying for "all" of my reloads, fuel, a food and really planning to get anything back, I might as well put more in to make this happen but wasn't planning to put an extra $750 in though.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 06:03 PM

How about kill off the prize money and do it for bragging rights this time? Basically renting the range to have some fun?

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 06:07 PM

Don't know why I can't edit my other post but what I meant to say is "really not planning to get anything back.
Posted By: GPS

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/03/14 06:25 PM

Wish I could do this that weekend, however my wife is having knee replacement surgey the Thursday prior to the event.
Posted By: whby05

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/04/14 05:22 PM

Chad can I bring my 7mag and the 168's you loaded? not really anything close to factory.....

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/04/14 06:05 PM

Yes, that will be fine.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/07/14 01:59 PM

If you are not signed up but plan to attend or shoot this match, I need to get your email address so I can send out all the match details. Please send me an email so I can send out the directions and such. Thanks!!

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/09/14 03:35 AM

Emails with the match details and range location has been sent out. If you plan to come out and sign up the morning of, or come to watch, please send me an email to me or post here, and I will forward you the details. Thanks!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/11/14 02:04 PM

Anybody have a portable shooting bench they can bring? I've got a mountain of work to do to get ready for the match, and the bench I will provide (for those that need one) won't be very nice. I'd build one, but do not have the time.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/11/14 02:23 PM

I dont have one but thinking maybe if someone has a truck, we could always just lay in the bed, drop the tailgate...kinda red neck I guess but hey, it would work

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/11/14 06:03 PM

Shooting prone isn't a problem. Some guys want a bench, so I'd like to have one available.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/11/14 10:20 PM

Bump

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/12/14 10:56 PM

How about if someone has a fold up table and chair?

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/13/14 01:28 AM

Got it covered. Ramball saved the day.

I cut silhouettes today, as well as armor steel. I've got the stages figured out as far as location of targets, and shooting location. This is going to be a ton of fun!

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/13/14 03:46 AM

Lots of preparations made yesterday and today. It will be challenging, and very do-able, but yall better show up with your game faces on.

Chad and I are going to shoot every stage, Friday. If we have a hard time with anything we'll adjust it. We want everyone to get hits, but have to work a bit for it.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/14/14 01:27 AM

Sweet!

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/14/14 07:19 PM

So this bad boy is going down TOMORROW!!!

Anyone bringing a grill or just cold lunches? I really like my warm lunches but eh, I am not going to lug a grill around either.

<---I am a fat a$$ that is still focused on the food aspect smile

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/14/14 11:36 PM

I'm bringing sandwich stuff. Bring it if you want to.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/15/14 12:51 AM

There's only one stage that's 300 yards. And you'll see splash if you miss, so you can correct for it.

Chad and I shot every stage today. Both of us didn't clean every one. We each dropped some shots on a couple of stages. This will be challenging on some stages and pretty do-able on others. Gonna be a ton of fun!

Anybody that's on the fence, come on out. There's plenty of room for more and we have plenty of Range Officers.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/15/14 09:58 PM

Had a BLAST today! Thank you Chad and Jason for hosting this. Even though I was last in points, I learned a TON about my rifle and myself. Look forward to the next one, go ahead and count me in.

Chris

I also want to say I feel Jason jinxed me by putting me first. LOL, he did say that the first shooter never wins.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/15/14 10:51 PM

Many thanks Chad and Jason for setting up an awesome event! I've never done anything like this before and I had a blast, learned a lot and met some great folks. I will certainly do this again and look forward to learning more about precision rifle shooting.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/16/14 12:01 AM

Thanks Jason and Chad for putting this on. I had a great time and look forward to making this more than a one time thing. I had a great time today and it was nice meeting everyone there.

Walter
Posted By: Mr. 2 Million

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/16/14 01:49 AM

wish I had seen this earlier , maybe next time , should have my new scope set on the rifle soon and would be fun to get some tips and see others rigs
Posted By: 300_WizzM

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/16/14 09:57 AM

I had a blast THANKS for putting this on looking forward to the next one.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/16/14 05:10 PM

Got to say a big THANK YOU to Chad and Jason for putting on the challenge. It was definitely an eye opener for someone that never shot beyond 180 yards before and only at deer sized targets. Met a lot of great THFER'S there also. Looking forward to the next one. Good job everyone!
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/16/14 05:52 PM

What can I say that hasn't already been said about how great an event that Jason & Chad put on. OUTSTANDING 1st effort, and the most fun I've had in years just as an observer. I'm sure with the After Action BS session we had ya'll will tweak the deal a little, but the paradign is perfect, just be sure as Pat said to keep it Hunter Focused.

Awesome Prizes too even with the limited budgets, and be sure to thank the sponsers. Congrats to the Winners, and loved the shootoff.

If/when Ya'll do another one of these count me in with enough notice to make it happen. Even if I finally sell the house up here on Lake Texoma and move to Central Texas as planned, I would not miss this as a Shooter again. I got a son to stay with 'tween Denton & Frisco that is closer to the Event Site than I am now.
Ron

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/17/14 02:17 PM

Here's some more pictures that I took.

Out of the deer blind

Clay pigeon board from 150 yards.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/17/14 02:18 PM

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/17/14 02:20 PM

You guys are very welcome! We had a blast putting it on. It's a lot of fun to shoot these and a lot of fun to RO one. We will do it again! Thank you for all the feedback and good ideas for some new hunting stages.

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/17/14 03:07 PM

Also, somehow I ended up with an extra pair of green ear muffs in my shooting bag. There's no name on them. Let me know if they are yours!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Hunting Challenge-Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details- Mar 15th! - 03/17/14 03:34 PM

Glad you all had a good time
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum