Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
....Why Is It, #2520030 08/20/11 11:23 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
...the only GOOD dove reports I read are from outfitters???

Just wonderin eeks333

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2520034 08/20/11 11:26 PM
J
JMS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
you think, marketing? nah

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: JMS] #2520112 08/21/11 12:16 AM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I call them as I see them. I sell dove hunts here and will tell the truth about what I'm seeing here and around me, but it can change in a hurry. Sometimes there is a lot and sometimes not so much. Sure I want to sell hunts, but I'm not going to lie to do it...That's me, can't speak for other outfitters. I always tell my guys to come and enjoyed the time spent with family and friends, birds are a bonus. I've had times you can shoot a limit in 15 minutes and 3 days later you couldn't shoot a limit all day...Just hunting,,,

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2520122 08/21/11 12:21 AM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Around the Haskell area we have a crap lot of dove at the water holes that we have left. Not an outfitter.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Stompy] #2520126 08/21/11 12:22 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Yep, its marketing. Still big outfitters with lots of land and different fields like sigfan and udamdan or ones that manage for dove like stompy, may all not have dove everywhere and may have up and down years, but they are usually going to have some dove somewhere opening day. Past history and hunter reports with them has shown that pretty much. I do notice a lot of outfitters in that section just don't say one way or the other. One just before your post here was an outfitter talking about a significant decrease in dove, so your analogy is not always the case.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2519807

IMHO, wonder, your foolish if your taking dove reports from anyone with more than a grain of salt, considering opening weekend is still two weeks away. Anyway you look at it your better to go with who did you well in the past or scout the new rather than going in a place blind opening morning.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Stompy] #2520170 08/21/11 12:46 AM
U
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: Stompy
I call them as I see them. I sell dove hunts here and will tell the truth about what I'm seeing here and around me, but it can change in a hurry. Sometimes there is a lot and sometimes not so much. Sure I want to sell hunts, but I'm not going to lie to do it...That's me, can't speak for other outfitters. I always tell my guys to come and enjoyed the time spent with family and friends, birds are a bonus. I've had times you can shoot a limit in 15 minutes and 3 days later you couldn't shoot a limit all day...Just hunting,,,

Amen Stompy & well said,

that's why they call it hunting for sure !!!

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: udamdan] #2520296 08/21/11 01:50 AM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Can't blame em, it's hard to make a dollar these days.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Featherduster] #2520442 08/21/11 02:42 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Hey wonder, I gots plenty o birds and I ain't an outfitter grin

area is south of Austin

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Stompy] #2520498 08/21/11 03:02 AM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Stompy

You could not have said it any better. I scout a lot and I always give my clients a honest report. Im a hunter myself and my father and I go on a dove hunt every year in South Texas with a different outfitter, I would hate to have a bad hunt so that is why I am up front with my clients.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Homey da Clown] #2520508 08/21/11 03:06 AM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I'm not an outfitter either, just a hunter. We have been checking the fields and have birds. Can't say for sure if there will still be as many come Sept 1st but I'm always hopeful.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: kindall] #2520596 08/21/11 03:33 AM
D
drakedoctor Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I got birds and I am not an outfitter.

Live to hunt, hunt to live.
Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: drakedoctor] #2520746 08/21/11 05:00 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
And yet another outfitter's report of not seeing dove like usual.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2495073

I'm obviously not an outfitter and I did report a few days ago that I saw one field on DJ Farms that was covered in dove. Now not all the fields I saw were, but one in particular was about as good as it gets.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Sniper John] #2520871 08/21/11 12:28 PM
A
army_chad Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Unless I planned on using that guide I wouldn't worry about what they say. I do my own scouting. I gotta see it with my own eyes.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: army_chad] #2520934 08/21/11 01:25 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
....no biggie, its just that I've heard of many, many landowners and outfitters both calling hunters and cancelling hunts due to the drought.

Glad to hear that a few of ya'll do have birds, ....I hope you slay um.

Our lease owner is an honest man and he told us not even bother with coming to Throckmorton.....said the whole country is burnt up. We are still lookin.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2521896 08/21/11 08:54 PM
F
Fyrfyter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
I'd like to throw in my two cents worth, for all it is worth. There have been a few guys mentioned by name in previous posts on this thread, which I would have to say, that if they tell me a rooster can pull a freight train, I'm going to put a harness on that chicken and turn him loose!

Any of you that have EVER hunted birds know that it can be feast one day, and famine the next. Just like fishing............you should've been here yesterday!!! Hunting is dynamic, things change by the minute.

I know there are probably some outfitters that may tell you they are covered up in dove, deer, hogs, chupacabras, or whatever. BUT, that is where looking at past history, references, and such come into play. The guys mentioned previously are not first time posters, and have a great reputation on this board. I'm sure they wouldn't want to EVER give any cause for doubt on their honest reports.

I do know that one of the outfitters in west Texas, told me he was not going to put any guys on certain fields he has had for many years, because it had been SO dry, the fields just didn't produce sunflowers and such. That gentleman is a straight up guy, that I will take his word in the future, because I KNOW he has his hunters best interest in mind.

1 YEAR WONDER, I hope you find you a great, reputable outfitter. Just like has been said before........do your research, and do a little scouting. I think there are really good, HONEST outfitters, and gentlemen out there. Sometimes they take a little work to find, but it's well worth it. I'm very happy with where we have ended up now, and hope you can get to your happy hunting ground as well.

This is Les.............signing off.

flag

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Fyrfyter] #2521927 08/21/11 09:06 PM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have field of shredded sunflowers next freshly plowed corn field with a pond thats has water and trees . And I am not having the normal amounts of birds there. Why ??? I have no ideal 4 weeks ago it was loaded Is the heat ? high pressure ?

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: sallysue] #2521942 08/21/11 09:13 PM
F
Fyrfyter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
All the variables. They could be back tomorrow!!?!?? confused2

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2521954 08/21/11 09:23 PM
B
birddog14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Just wonderin eeks333

why are you reading dove reports....internet scouter???? wink

Last edited by birddog14; 08/21/11 09:24 PM.

green is good
Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: birddog14] #2522028 08/21/11 09:54 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: birddog14
Originally Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Just wonderin eeks333

why are you reading dove reports....internet scouter???? wink

Of all the names I have heard for new, inexperienced, and in recent years the internet scouting hunter going back in my 35 years or so of hunting such as nimrod, yahoo, barney, donut (guy's term wink ), and a few names that can't be said here, I think topwater wonder is about the silliest I have heard, but giving credit where due if topwater is his new name for an internet scouting duck hunter, what is the name for an internet scouting dove hunter?
Topgunner? whistle

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Sniper John] #2522073 08/21/11 10:19 PM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

I'm obviously not an outfitter and I did report a few days ago that I saw one field on DJ Farms that was covered in dove. Now not all the fields I saw were, but one in particular was about as good as it gets.

You better get there on the 31st or at noon on the first cause that place will fil up fast. The first year I hunted there wasnt a sole around after that it was like WWIII even during the week.

P.S.

Last year I camped there, the trucks started rolling in at around midnight on the 31st, I couldnt sleep cause all the trucks coming in....

Last edited by bhunter; 08/21/11 10:21 PM.

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Fyrfyter] #2522390 08/22/11 12:15 AM
U
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: 6.8SPC Hunter
I'd like to throw in my two cents worth, for all it is worth. There have been a few guys mentioned by name in previous posts on this thread, I I would have to say, that if they tell me a rooster can pull a freight train, I'm going to put a harness on that chicken and turn him loose!

Any of you that have EVER hunted birds know that it can be feast one day, and famine the next. Just like fishing............you should've been here yesterday!!! Hunting is dynamic, things change by the minute.

I know there are probably some outfitters that may tell you they are covered up in dove, deer, hogs, chupacabras, or whatever. BUT, that is where looking at past history, references, and such come into play. The guys mentioned previously are not first time posters, and have a great reputation on this board. I'm sure they wouldn't want to EVER give any cause for doubt on their honest reports.

I do know that one of the outfitters in west Texas, told me he was not going to put any guys on certain fields he has had for many years, because it had been SO dry, the fields just didn't produce sunflowers and such. That gentleman is a straight up guy, that I will take his word in the future, because I KNOW he has his hunters best interest in mind.

1 YEAR WONDER, I hope you find you a great, reputable outfitter. Just like has been said before........do your research, and do a little scouting. I think there are really good, HONEST outfitters, and gentlemen out there. Sometimes they take a little work to find, but it's well worth it. I'm very happy with where we have ended up now, and hope you can get to your happy hunting ground as well.

This is Les.............signing off.

flag

Well said 6.8SPC Hunter as it's just huntin grin

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Sniper John] #2522711 08/22/11 01:54 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:
Anyway you look at it your better to go with who did you well in the past or scout the new rather than going in a place blind opening morning.

That is some good advice, the anxiety of opening morning in an unfamiliar spot is not fun.

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: bhunter] #2524296 08/22/11 06:20 PM
R
Reid D Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: bhunter
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

You better get there on the 31st or at noon on the first cause that place will fil up fast. The first year I hunted there wasnt a sole around after that it was like WWIII even during the week.

P.S.

Last year I camped there, the trucks started rolling in at around midnight on the 31st, I couldnt sleep cause all the trucks coming in....

now you have me debating on going to DJ farms field or my place in young county.... good reports about DJ field and my father said there wernt too many at the family place this last weekend.. things can change so much in two weeks though...

Advice is free, the right answer will cost plenty
Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: Reid D] #2524391 08/22/11 06:57 PM
W
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I'll be honest...

We are driving many miles everyday seeing if we missed anything...but we aren't...

WE are finding pockets of dove here and there, but nothing like years past.

We have water, and we have food...just lacking the main ingredient... "DOVE"

WE have about 50 guys coming out to hunt the first couple days, which they will get some shooting in, but I don't think it will be a barn burner... But who knows... confused2

It won't be a lack of looking!!! smile

J.J.

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: ....Why Is It, [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #2525096 08/22/11 11:35 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's gunna be fun!

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide