Print Thread
How to increase antler size #9024828 03/26/24 01:53 PM
H
HunterGuy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I hunt 20 acres, what can I do to make the bucks grow there max racks? The property has cows and most bucks are 3-4.

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9024835 03/26/24 02:02 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Truthfully that is a tall task on 20 acres. Mostly depends on your neighbors and if they want to also improve the herd. If you are letting them age (which is the number one factor in horn growth) while you neighbors are shooting them on site then that is hard to overcome IMO - good luck

You can't fix stupid
Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9024841 03/26/24 02:15 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
At a property of that size without any more information, the simple answer is nothing you do will have a meaningful impact on increasing antler size. Assuming a 600 acre average range for a white tail deer and consistent utilization across all of that range, 97% of the time the buck you want to shoot is not on your property.

If you want to shoot deer with bigger antlers, you can still do what most recommend is the biggest bang for your buck being let deer reach mature age classes and provide improved nutrition. You can also try to increase the utilization of your 20 acres by creating better habitat (will be difficult with cattle on a property of that size) or by supplemental feeding above what your neighbors may be feeding. That way the deer that do make it to mature age classes might be more likely to visit your property on a more regular cadence. But all if these practices are going to depend on your neighbors significantly more than a property of a larger size

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9024846 03/26/24 02:21 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
My only advice on 20 acres would be to make that the best 20 acres in the area. At that point you aren’t effecting the herd, you just want as many deer to venture into your property as possible. The more deer you attract, the more likely the one you want will come in.

Also, realize that supplemental feeding isn’t going to make the difference it can on a larger property. It becomes an attractant more than a supplement at that point.

Good luck

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9025018 03/26/24 07:36 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I agree with everything others have posted so far.
Keep in mind that depending on where you are, 20 acres may only have enough habitat to support one or two or possibly 3 TOTAL DEER of both sexes and all age classes. So, I dont think its realistic to EXPECT to ever kill a big mature buck, regardless of what actions you take.

Last edited by freerange; 03/26/24 07:36 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9025065 03/26/24 09:15 PM
F
fishbait Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
It's not what if you will take a large buck or not ...it's a game of tricks that you will learn to practice that will bring in some deer from each ranch that surrounds your blind for food and protection. You will also loose bucks you invest in to those neighbors...but so what do ya have to loose? You will learn to enjoy those 20 acres of best fed and best smelling blind in the area.LOL I did that on about 35 acres on our 640 acres lease.
Enjoy yourself and dream and practice best blind around.
Hunt like a lion and live like a king with a lot of land.
Best of luck!!!

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9025124 03/26/24 11:29 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
All good advice, but the only sure way is to build a tall fence and stock it with a couple of bucks. No fun, but you will increase antler size.

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9025125 03/26/24 11:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Biologists will tell you that not only will supplemental feeding have no impact on genetics, but it will also create no significant increase in the number of deer on a given property. It will only aid in the health of the numbers of deer the area will support based on the availability and quality of natural browse. For these reasons, and as others have commented, what lives or walks onto a 20-acre tract will be largely determined by the habitat and hunting practices of those around you.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/26/24 11:31 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9025161 03/27/24 12:52 AM
F
fishbait Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
Well said Texas ...and I can't disagree with anything you have said..also believe my deer density is 5.49 for my 600 acres and some what located by area natural browse and what is fed by me and others that hold the density tighter than the other 1800 acres around us that will not see a 5.49 but closer to a 12-15 density count due to the browse and feeders and hand thrown that the other hunters don't do...thus the travel for my density doesn't cover the same. I will be in control to some extent on what I do to draw a better density than areas around me. However, the bucks I see will be seen by others as well throughout the season and harvested. But I will see the most and the best in my area, in my opinion and my camera counts that other would love to have. The natural browse doesn't hold the deer in tight as a better feeding program will. No one on my lease will see the quality and numbers that I do. Just my camera pics and me will see what is in my area. When I show other hunters the deer in my area, some built feeder pens like mine..those that didn't ...didn't see what I did.
So, what the biologist have seen in their experiences is not comparable to mine. But yes my 600 acres will average 5.49(acres/deer) but it will be mush lower and better at my blind.
That's my best shot at seeing better deer and bigger deer number and can actually prove that with number counts that give me a ton of fun.
So, I love my kind of hunting than other types. I forgot to say I usually don't harvest a deer but every 3-4 years.

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9025337 03/27/24 12:30 PM
F
fishbait Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
I will add to this the other situation that exist that does do what you are saying, Texas. In a small lot acreages less than 50 acres there becomes a liquid like density that is determined by the practices of your neighbors does hold true to a point as the smaller the lots no one has control of the density and the deer population will not exist in just a short time. No one has control what is located on LOTS...that's why P&W probably does not get involved. If no one has control of the herd ..there will be no herds. So, you are right.

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9025423 03/27/24 03:14 PM
L
LanceH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
I am in the same situation in Harrison County. I hunt a total of about 40 acres of private land surrounded by other properties and deer leases that are heavily hunted. Plus, 2 gas wells just went in right next to my property. This year, I will stay out of it except for filling a couple of small gravity feeders and check a camera every now and then. Other than that, I think I'm going to let it grow up and only mow my ROW right before season opens. My deer (if there are any at all) will only get corn and thick brush.

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: batman] #9025426 03/27/24 03:29 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by batman
All good advice, but the only sure way is to build a tall fence and stock it with a couple of bucks. No fun, but you will increase antler size.

Batman, are you serious or is this sarcasm? You know its only 20 ac?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: How to increase antler size [Re: freerange] #9025441 03/27/24 04:01 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by freerange

It’s a little “tongue in cheek”, but it’s the only sure way on 20 acres.

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: batman] #9025476 03/27/24 05:35 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by freerange

It’s a little “tongue in cheek”, but it’s the only sure way on 20 acres.

I thought so but wanted everyone to know. I havent followed your post a lot but enough to know what I thought you meant.

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: fishbait] #9025722 03/28/24 02:35 AM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted by fishbait
I will add to this the other situation that exist that does do what you are saying, Texas. In a small lot acreages less than 50 acres there becomes a liquid like density that is determined by the practices of your neighbors does hold true to a point as the smaller the lots no one has control of the density and the deer population will not exist in just a short time. No one has control what is located on LOTS...that's why P&W probably does not get involved. If no one has control of the herd ..there will be no herds. So, you are right.

I know it would be a lot on tpwd, but I’ve often wondered what metrics tpwd uses to establish deer bag limits and seasons. With the exception of MLD and some public areas sometimes, they have no idea how many deer there are or how many are taken each year. When the deer log came out, I always wondered what the point was if we didn’t turn them back in for statistic purposes. Yes it would be a pain I suppose, but could landowner tags for whitetail per acreage and population as other states do help this problem? Or is the money behind hunting concerned that participation may fall? This could prevent 4 hunters from tagging out on the same 40 acres, while each shot a 15” 3.5 8 point. Except for uncle Johnny...he got a 9 pointer this year. Properties like this could get a few doe tags, but maybe a buck tag every second or third year?

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9038427 3 hours ago
B
Bois D'arc Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
B
Other than feeding protein and letting young bucks walk, one thing that is often overlooked is fertilizing the browse species that deer use. One bag of triple 13 goes a long way spot treating. It increases the nutrition of the browse and also makes it taste better to the deer. When the deer are healthy they can better grow to their genetic potential.

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: HunterGuy] #9038432 3 hours ago
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
An antler pump. Do a google search for pump to increase size. bolt

Re: How to increase antler size [Re: DonPablo] #9038480 1 hour ago
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by DonPablo

I tried, but apparently you still the genetics to see any growth.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: How to increase antler size [Re: DonPablo] #9038501 38 minutes ago
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by DonPablo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide