Print Thread
Broken racks and an A/R question #1866913 11/27/10 03:03 AM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Today got off to a rocky start and my morning hunt was ruined before it got started (long story, but wish people would stop dumping their pets on my property). However, driving around and again this evening, I saw more deer than I'd seen so far this year. Lots of chasing going on and bucks on the move at every hour. Saw my two biggest bucks of the year, one that was definitely very mature, but didn't pull the trigger.

Strangely, I saw 4 different bucks with one side broken off. I also have a picture of a 5th buck (the largest of the broken group) missing almost one entire side. I've never seen this many broken racks this early in the year, particularly so many missing an entire side. I can't remember ever seeing this before.

The fortunate thing is all of these bucks are young and will live another year. At least three of them would be 13+ inches if they had both sides and I'm actually pretty happy they broke off a side to make them less appealing to my neighbors.

However, I question whether these bucks would qualify as "one unbranched antler". Three of them were broken real close to the base. I can see someone unfamiliar with these bucks (I've seen all but one of these prior to their antlers being broken) deciding that it's a buck with an unbranched antler and trying to consider it "legal".

I read the regulation and it seems a bit vague. From what I can find, it says nothing about a deer naturally growing an unbranched antler.

Obviously, I have no intention to shoot any of these deer, but worry the neighbors would pull the trigger quickly.

Anyone know if the deer has to naturally grow a "spike" on one side to be considered legally a "spike"?

Re: Broken racks and an A/R question [Re: KennyLee] #1866917 11/27/10 03:05 AM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
What I have always been told is that one of its antlers has to be "unbranched" meaning completely gone or spike. SO technically if it was broken off at the base it would be a legal deer. as long as it does not branch out.

Re: Broken racks and an A/R question [Re: CleerCreekDC] #1866922 11/27/10 03:10 AM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: CleerCreekDC
What I have always been told is that one of its antlers has to be "unbranched" meaning completely gone or spike. SO technically if it was broken off at the base it would be a legal deer. as long as it does not branch out.

my understanding too

Re: Broken racks and an A/R question [Re: JDShellnut] #1867555 11/27/10 05:02 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
"one unbranched antler" means it has to have at least ONE... depends where it broke off at... at the skull would not be an unbranched antler... but that's just my opinion... worth what it cost you...

I'd like to hear one of our resident game wardens opinion on this one...

Re: Broken racks and an A/R question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1867627 11/27/10 05:57 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
"one unbranched antler" means it has to have at least ONE... depends where it broke off at... at the skull would not be an unbranched antler... but that's just my opinion... worth what it cost you...

I'd like to hear one of our resident game wardens opinion on this one...

I would also like to hear from a GW on this. The first year of ARs a couple of processors told me they had never seen so many small racks broken off on one side brought in.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Broken racks and an A/R question [Re: kmon11] #1867784 11/27/10 07:54 PM
K
killemall Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Must have at least one unbranched antler, if it is broken at the base then where is the unbranched antler, not legal. Imho

Re: Broken racks and an A/R question [Re: killemall] #1867912 11/27/10 09:36 PM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
I got a real good look at one of them this morning as he walked directly underneath me. He was tall and narrow, but amazingly thick (considering he was broken off). Made me really wonder what the guy looks like whose been breaking all these guys up.

I noticed this particular buck was broken off with just about 3 inches remaining on the broken side. He was broken below the brow tine of the other side, but had a kicker that would have been below his browtine (before it was broken off).

Technically, I'd say he still has a branched-antler on that side. However, I can see someone taking him and not seeing that until he was on the ground. I'd have never seen it if I wasn't looking directly down at him from 12 feet above.

Last edited by KennyLee; 11/27/10 09:37 PM.
Re: Broken racks and an A/R question [Re: KennyLee] #1869967 11/28/10 11:01 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
the reason you're seeing more broken racks, is because the racks are getting larger, so as the deer fight, a greater moment is created (think leverage), and the deer are breaking off racks, instead of just dicking around with narrow little racks.

it's a mathematical fact.

Re: Broken racks and an A/R question [Re: kyle1974] #1870007 11/28/10 11:19 PM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: kyle1974
the reason you're seeing more broken racks, is because the racks are getting larger, so as the deer fight, a greater moment is created (think leverage), and the deer are breaking off racks, instead of just dicking around with narrow little racks.

it's a mathematical fact.

If that's true, I'd like to know where these larger racked deer are hanging out. I run feeders and cameras year round and this is the worst year for antler production I've seen in at least 5 years. I found that surprising considering the amount of rain we had earlier in the year and placed the blame on a leasor over-grazing our place last winter (he's now gone, but had three times as many cattle on our place as we'd agreed to allow).

This weekend was the first time I've seen any broken racks. Frankly, I think a dominant buck moved in and this was the result. I hunted all day Friday and much of Saturday and saw one guy who could be the candidate. Wish I'd have gotten a better look at him, but he wasn't massive by any stretch unless there was something there I just couldn't see.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide