Print Thread
Food Plot Advice Needed #1479321 06/14/10 06:15 PM
H
Henryseale Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
My hunting buddy and I planted four small food plots last year in Grimes County, consiting of a mixture of turnip and mustard greens. We made a good crop of greens, but with dismal results as to attracting deer. It was not a lack of deer in the area as many tracks were seen in the plots, but no evidence that they ever ate any of the greens. We are wanting to plant again, but are looking for something different as these deer apparently don't like greens. This does surprise me as I know many say that deer will devastate a turnip patch. We are thinking of maybe planting some peas this year. Any suggestions as to what variety of peas or other plants that would be good to draw the deer in November or December? Is that too late for peas? We also intend to plant clover in the fields adjacent to the plots. As for natural food sources, there are a good number of oaks in the area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

"...Why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for, because it's the only thing that lasts."
Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Henryseale] #1479377 06/14/10 06:46 PM
C
caddokiller Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Peas will dies with the first frost. If you plant them plant you some lab lab by tecomate and also throw in some clover and wheat. That way after your peas die you'll still have something for the deer to eat. Plus the deer will more readily eat the peas during october and november and it will give the clover and wheat time to mature so it can stand more grazing.

Last edited by caddokiller; 06/14/10 06:47 PM.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.- Thomas jefferson
Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Henryseale] #1479380 06/14/10 06:48 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I think that deer prefer the turnips over the greens and normally the deer don't hit the turnip patch untill after a frost. The frost seems to sweeten the turnips. For a fall plot oats will be very hard to beat. I have planted 2 spring/summer plots this year with Iron and Clay Cowpeas and the deer are hitting both. The deer will hit the natural browse before anything planted and come fall they will work over the acorns before your food plots.

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: DLALLDER] #1480689 06/15/10 12:57 PM
B
Big Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Those deer have to learn what turnips are. It is not a natural food for them. Day in and day out we find that wheat is the best and cheapest to plant. Deer all over the state will eat it. Seed cost is down there with the cheapest of them. Try a least some of it planted by it's self,watch them eat it up..............

My son says my expections are way too high.........
Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Big Hunter] #1480758 06/15/10 01:47 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Big Hunter
Those deer have to learn what turnips are. It is not a natural food for them. Day in and day out we find that wheat is the best and cheapest to plant. Deer all over the state will eat it. Seed cost is down there with the cheapest of them. Try a least some of it planted by it's self,watch them eat it up..............

X2 on the Wheat or go with oats. Both are easy to grow, hold up well in the Winter, and draw the deer in. If your neighbors all have wheat put out some oats or vice versa. If you want to get creative just mix in some turnips or other stuff in when you are planting the wheat/oats.

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Big Hunter] #1480770 06/15/10 01:52 PM
K
Kiko-G Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Try sweet soughum (milo). Sorghum grows in the dryest of climates wich is a good option for summer food plots, but will grow during all seasons. It provides a good source of nutirents in both the seed and the stem. Sweet sorghum will attract more wildlife that the regular type. During the fall you may add some alfalfa and oats seed in the mix.

Last edited by Tiro Loco; 06/15/10 01:54 PM.
Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Kiko-G] #1480901 06/15/10 03:05 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I plant a 30 acre wheat field for the deer every year. I average 20 deer in it every afternoon and have counted as many as 46 in it at one time. I tried some greens and peas but the wheat does a lot better for me. Also when it heads out it makes for some great dove hunting in Sept. What ever you decide to plant, mix a little wheat in with it.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Stompy] #1480920 06/15/10 03:16 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
elbon rye, winter wheat, austrian winter peas, clover (yuchi) & turnips are a good mix.

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Henryseale] #1482175 06/16/10 02:11 AM
R
Robert37 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: Henryseale
My hunting buddy and I planted four small food plots last year in Grimes County, consiting of a mixture of turnip and mustard greens. We made a good crop of greens, but with dismal results as to attracting deer. It was not a lack of deer in the area as many tracks were seen in the plots, but no evidence that they ever ate any of the greens. We are wanting to plant again, but are looking for something different as these deer apparently don't like greens. This does surprise me as I know many say that deer will devastate a turnip patch. We are thinking of maybe planting some peas this year. Any suggestions as to what variety of peas or other plants that would be good to draw the deer in November or December? Is that too late for peas? We also intend to plant clover in the fields adjacent to the plots. As for natural food sources, there are a good number of oaks in the area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

yah we have the same problem out at our lease in Grimes. (about 4 miles from bedias) we have been using oats.They seem to grow pretty well, but like you said no evidence that they ate them. Where are you located?

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Robert37] #1482342 06/16/10 03:35 AM
P
pharmvet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I like to mix soy beans and or peas of some sort with oats and plant them around labor day. The beans / peas will come on early and usually get eaten down well before the cold gets them. By then the oats are at full speed. I have tried several things but year after year the beans / oats combination has proven best. I think one key factor in how well the deer utilize the food plot is the amount of fertilize you apply. The better it is fertilized, the better they seem to like it. Also, consider lime this time of year in preparation for the fall plot.

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: pharmvet] #1484344 06/17/10 04:15 AM
H
Henryseale Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
This is my buddys land. It is near Singleton. I am thinking to maybe plant some winter wheat mixed with some Austrian winter peas this year. This will be in four differeent patches located on the edges of two fields that will be planted in clover. May also mix in some wheat with the clover in the main fields. We also set out feeders.

"...Why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for, because it's the only thing that lasts."
Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Henryseale] #1484581 06/17/10 12:45 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Deer will hammer turnips and Rape after the first freeze. The best thing to do is plant a Fall mix. There are several dealers that make blends that consist of wheat,oats,rye,Austrian Winter Peas etc. Be sure to spread the turnips and rape after you have planted the others. These seeds are much smaller. We add them in the clover bins in front of the seed drill.

This will make a great all season plot. Once the oats/wheat start to mature the turnips and rape will be ready to eat. Like mentioned earlier, the deer will have to figure out what they are before they eat them.

You can also add iron and clay peas to the mix. They will be a good early attractant but will be the first eaten and or will die off first. Seceda peas also work good.

Late december

Feb-march

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Food Plot Advice Needed [Re: Tye] #1485877 06/18/10 02:01 AM
R
Robert37 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Yah that may work, by the way your about 5 miles from us I would think.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide