Print Thread
Taxidermy finishing work #1202696 01/28/10 02:49 AM
L
landmark Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
After talking to the taxidermist hired to do my 2008 Whitetail shoulder mount, I learned that he had farmed out the work to another taxidermist to finish it out with paint and polish. Would this be a common practice?

He came highly recommended (as I guess most do when you choose one) and all the work I saw looked great. It's just been longer than planned on getting the mount back. My gut's telling me he may have farmed the whole thing out for somebody to do.

I don't guess it really matters as long as the work comes out looking good but it just concerned me and was just wondering if this might be normal in the business.

Thanks for any responses.

Re: Taxidermy finishing work [Re: landmark] #1203086 01/28/10 04:56 AM
T
TrophyCaseTaxidermy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I don't know how common it is with game heads, but a lot of taxis "wholesale" fish and birds. although I have a guy that advertises taxidermy and he doesn't do a thing, he charges $500 bucks for a whitetail shoulder, he keeps $100 and I get the rest.

But if you ever need another taxi smile

www.trophycasetaxidermy.com

Kaleb

Re: Taxidermy finishing work [Re: landmark] #1203292 01/28/10 01:00 PM
B
BirdWorks Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: landmark
After talking to the taxidermist hired to do my 2008 Whitetail shoulder mount, I learned that he had farmed out the work to another taxidermist to finish it out with paint and polish. Would this be a common practice?

Having a finish person in a Deer Shop is not uncommon and would not be considered "farmed out". This generally shows a taxidermist is busy and has hired help to keep up with the back log.

Don't trust your gut as you will only be guessing. Because what is considered by one person to be good or bad taxidermy is subjective in nature, the best thing to do is have a face to face with the one person that can do something about it. Talk to your taxidermist about the time frame and concerns and close out the deal.

Good Luck - Matt

Overheard at my last convention: "If you wanna make a million bucks in taxidermy, start out with 2 million and in 5 years, if you're lucky, you'll have a million left."
Re: Taxidermy finishing work [Re: BirdWorks] #1203319 01/28/10 01:25 PM
L
landmark Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: BirdWorks
Originally Posted By: landmark

Having a finish person in a Deer Shop is not uncommon and would not be considered "farmed out". This generally shows a taxidermist is busy and has hired help to keep up with the back log.

Don't trust your gut as you will only be guessing. Because what is considered by one person to be good or bad taxidermy is subjective in nature, the best thing to do is have a face to face with the one person that can do something about it. Talk to your taxidermist about the time frame and concerns and close out the deal.

Good Luck - Matt

He didn't hire a person for his shop. He sent it to a guy in another city. Which I would certainly called "farmed out". I hired him to do the job based on his past work. I didn't hire the other guy.

Now, maybe he did just have it finished out to keep up with his own demand, I really don't know. And, if he did, that's fine by me. I was only asking on here if it was a common practice. No intent on my part to smear the name of taxidermy. I have taken it up with him and he couldn't tell me if it was ready or not when 2 months ago when I asked about it, it was only drying and would be ready in a couple of days. Hopefully I'll pick it up this weekend and all will be just fine.

And, yes, good taxidermy is subjective in nature but it's my shoulder mount that I'm paying for.

Re: Taxidermy finishing work [Re: landmark] #1203455 01/28/10 02:43 PM
H
Hughiam Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Yes its extremely common although largely unknown. There seems to be a sense of shame among taxis that if you farm something out and your client finds out he will think less of you. I did wholesale gameheads for other taxidermists for awhile and sent every fish and bird out I ever took in to wholesaler.

I look at it like this, if I do an okay bird for $250 and I have a great bird guy to a bird for $150 wholesale, I make money and you get a better product. There are guys that do great finish work and can really take a mount to a better level. If your taxidermist is too busy, or doesn't do great finish work, he sends it out. You get a better product.

Hugh

Owner In Nature's Image Taxidermy
Re: Taxidermy finishing work [Re: Hughiam] #1203537 01/28/10 03:17 PM
L
landmark Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: Hughiam
Yes its extremely common although largely unknown. There seems to be a sense of shame among taxis that if you farm something out and your client finds out he will think less of you. I did wholesale gameheads for other taxidermists for awhile and sent every fish and bird out I ever took in to wholesaler.

I look at it like this, if I do an okay bird for $250 and I have a great bird guy to a bird for $150 wholesale, I make money and you get a better product. There are guys that do great finish work and can really take a mount to a better level. If your taxidermist is too busy, or doesn't do great finish work, he sends it out. You get a better product.

Hugh

Absolutely makes sense. Thanks for the responses.

Re: Taxidermy finishing work [Re: landmark] #1209198 01/31/10 12:24 AM
L
LadyTaxi Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
For the most part sending work out is a common practice for alot of taxidermy shops.

Not every single taxidermist can be 100% awesome at all species of animal. Just like myself...i send my fish to a wholesaler, and my customers know this in advance. (i also AM a wholesaler for a lot of other taxidermists) Why? Because my fish are not up to par and i am woman enough to admit it..LOL. So, instead of telling my customers they have to go somewhere else, i let them know that i can take in their fish and give them a really good product back-even if it's not my hands that produce it. However, since it is MY shop they left their trophy...I am responsible for what happens to it (quality/time/etc..)-regardless.

Don't take life so seriously...it's only temporary. I can kill it, clean it, cook it, and put it on the wall www.brandonwildlifestudio.com
Re: Taxidermy finishing work [Re: LadyTaxi] #1209247 01/31/10 12:59 AM
D
DeeCee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Well said Sheila!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide