Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#995916 - 10/28/09 02:06 PM Re: east texas [Re: netman]
Texan Til I Die Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: netman
...It has been a major turn around in the last 3 years.I don't know what has happened but I have been thinking of dropping my south Texas lease and hunting east full time.
AR's or new neighbors?

give me shelter from the storm.

#995965 - 10/28/09 02:29 PM Re: east texas [Re: Texan Til I Die]
BuckandBassRanch Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Lake Fork, TX
You can say what you want about east Texas but there is some great hunting over there!
I own a little over a hundred acres and have year round great hog hunting and have taken some nice bucks too! Last year I took a P&Y buck and am seeing some this year as well! Just have not had the chance to stick one of them yet.

www.buckandbassranch.com

Edited by BuckandBassRanch (10/28/09 02:36 PM)

#995978 - 10/28/09 02:33 PM Re: east texas [Re: Texan Til I Die]
netman Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Rowlett
Both.Great question.New neighbors,less shooting.

#996124 - 10/28/09 03:26 PM Re: east texas [Re: netman]
Jayburl Offline

Woodsman

Loc: Alto, Texas
I live and hunt east texas. I can't get used to hunting in wide open areas, love me some heavy timber. Its perfect for my mathews!!

#996132 - 10/28/09 03:28 PM Re: east texas [Re: james77351]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: james77351
Small leases? I have hunted east Texas all my live and have never seen a lease under 3,000 acres. Now a wast Texas might seem small with 40 to 45 hunters on a lease. I do agree with guys killing anything that moves. But what i do like about east Texas is what you pay for a lease. I am on a 13,000 acre lease and im only paying 650$ a family year round.
James

how many hunters are on that 13k acre place? i've seen deals like that, for $600 or $700 dollars but there are 150 hunters on it and they only get to put up one stand. if you break it down like that then you really don't have a 13k acre lease.

I hunted in east texas for about 6 years, we had two places in walker county, one was 100 acres of straight timber west of 45 and the other was close to riverside off hwy 19. the riverside place was 600 acres.

the hunting on the timber place was pretty bad, sometimes you would see a few does, sometimes nothing. I hunted there for 2 years and didn't see a buck. when we got the other place, we had pretty good hunting. every time you sat you saw 5-10 deer, most of the time you got to see a buck. Had no problem killing deer there, and we always saw decent bucks for east texas. my dad killed a mainframe 8 with two 3 in stickers that scored 135. I consider that place execptional for east texas. about a 60/40 mix of hardwoods to pines.

Can you grow big deer in east texas? sure, especially with a high fence and a good amount of land. The genetics are certainly there. But Imo, and i'm sure most hunters outside of east texas would agree, that the truly big deer are comming out of and will continue to come out of south texas and the panhandle.

A main contributing factor is the "git mine while I can" attitude. The shoot the first decent buck I see so the neighbor don't get him scenario is pretty prevalent in east texas and the gulf coast prarie

#996260 - 10/28/09 04:11 PM Re: east texas [Re: MELackey]
B-swit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: houston tx
Originally Posted By: MELackey
You aren't allowed to make shooting lanes.
technically you can you just have to do it the way the timber company says you can in the rules. that dont mean you cant have "lightning" strike you some nice shooting lanes. grin

#996428 - 10/28/09 04:54 PM Re: east texas [Re: B-swit]
TexasWITETALE Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Garland, TX
I love East Texas hunting and will more than likely always hunt in East Texas. This is probably due to the fact that I cannot afford to hunt anywhere else and probably never will.

#996521 - 10/28/09 05:28 PM Re: east texas [Re: B-swit]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants
THF Celebrity

Loc: Kingwood
Originally Posted By: B-switalski
Originally Posted By: MELackey
You aren't allowed to make shooting lanes.
technically you can you just have to do it the way the timber company says you can in the rules. that dont mean you cant have "lightning" strike you some nice shooting lanes. grin

heck yeah... or as soon as a place gets cut, get with the company's head forester for the region about pushing foodplots along the SMZs.

#996628 - 10/28/09 06:37 PM Re: east texas [Re: rifleman]
Curly Offline
Overrated
THF Celebrity

Loc: Here
What I have grown to like about hunting East Texas is, a lot of times you have to actually hunt to find a deer, unlike a lot of places in South Texas where all you do is wait for the one you want to shoot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a South Texas hunting hatah, in fact if I could afford it, I would probably be on a South Texas lease. I did just get an invite from a buddy of mine to go hunt on his place in Guadelupe County this season! Looking forward to that!

#996639 - 10/28/09 06:44 PM Re: east texas [Re: txtrophy85]
james77351 Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: james77351
Small leases? I have hunted east Texas all my live and have never seen a lease under 3,000 acres. Now a wast Texas might seem small with 40 to 45 hunters on a lease. I do agree with guys killing anything that moves. But what i do like about east Texas is what you pay for a lease. I am on a 13,000 acre lease and im only paying 650$ a family year round.
James

how many hunters are on that 13k acre place? i've seen deals like that, for $600 or $700 dollars but there are 150 hunters on it and they only get to put up one stand. if you break it down like that then you really don't have a 13k acre lease.

I hunted in east texas for about 6 years, we had two places in walker county, one was 100 acres of straight timber west of 45 and the other was close to riverside off hwy 19. the riverside place was 600 acres.

the hunting on the timber place was pretty bad, sometimes you would see a few does, sometimes nothing. I hunted there for 2 years and didn't see a buck. when we got the other place, we had pretty good hunting. every time you sat you saw 5-10 deer, most of the time you got to see a buck. Had no problem killing deer there, and we always saw decent bucks for east texas. my dad killed a mainframe 8 with two 3 in stickers that scored 135. I consider that place execptional for east texas. about a 60/40 mix of hardwoods to pines.

Can you grow big deer in east texas? sure, especially with a high fence and a good amount of land. The genetics are certainly there. But Imo, and i'm sure most hunters outside of east texas would agree, that the truly big deer are comming out of and will continue to come out of south texas and the panhandle.

A main contributing factor is the "git mine while I can" attitude. The shoot the first decent buck I see so the neighbor don't get him scenario is pretty prevalent in east texas and the gulf coast prarie

we are running about 45 to 50 hunters on the section i hunt witch is 13,000 acres. The lease is just over 36,000 acres over 3 different county's with around 150 or so hunters. I am on a really nice lease and have been it for 2 years now seen lots of deer and seen some real nice bucks killed

#996654 - 10/28/09 06:53 PM Re: east texas [Re: Curly]
passthru Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
Yes there are some big paper company spots but you see a lot of 150 or 200 acre spots advertising and average of 1 hunter for 50 acres and the deer population there seldom seems to support that kind of harvest potential. Yes the landowner or lease manager will tell you that it is safe because it is so thick or old Bob hardly ever hunts any more any how he is just there for camp but I like to keep it around 100 acres per gun or better and east Texas leases don't seem to be that way.

NRA Life Member
http://www.constrictorrods.com/
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#996657 - 10/28/09 06:54 PM Re: east texas [Re: passthru]
passthru Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
And BTW, I've hunted public hunting in east Texas and killed deer each year but it was scary with the # of other hunters around.

NRA Life Member
http://www.constrictorrods.com/
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#996708 - 10/28/09 07:18 PM Re: east texas [Re: passthru]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants
THF Celebrity

Loc: Kingwood
most of the timber company leases stick to a 200acre/hunter minimum. Where we hunt isn't south texas, but we do great on not having to work for decent deer and see plenty.

#996726 - 10/28/09 07:29 PM Re: east texas [Re: rifleman]
Extreme4wheel Offline

Outdoorsman

We own our land outside of jefferson witch backs up to a papermills property and we have no problem seeing deer,hogs and whatever else on it, we are only their a few times a year so not much hunting presure from us.

#996742 - 10/28/09 07:34 PM Re: east texas [Re: Curly]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Curly
What I have grown to like about hunting East Texas is, a lot of times you have to actually hunt to find a deer, unlike a lot of places in South Texas where all you do is wait for the one you want to shoot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a South Texas hunting hatah, in fact if I could afford it, I would probably be on a South Texas lease. I did just get an invite from a buddy of mine to go hunt on his place in Guadelupe County this season! Looking forward to that!

guadalupe county is not south texas....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide