Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: JDShellnut] #95743 10/06/06 12:14 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Yep...All the good ideas have been thought of!!!Maybe they need a 5 gallon size for the heavy night before drinkers!!!

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: JJH] #95744 10/06/06 01:55 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Quote:

If this has been covered before, I apologize. Did a search and didn't find anything.

I was taught that you don't pee near your deer stand. (Spent many an uncomfortable hour, adhering to that policy ) Recently, I have had several experienced hunters argue that it doesn't matter ,in fact deer pay no attention to human urine.

I usually try and hold it until I'm done with a hunt simply because I don't like making any noise or taking a chance of a deer in the brush seeing me open the door or seeing a Shiner beer color stream spewing out the window! I usually have to go so bad that I'm damn lucky to make it down the ladder!!! Nothing like balancing on a ladder with your rifle on one shoulder and a backpack on the other while trying to get the old fly down in a mighty big hurry!

I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: txbobcat] #95745 10/06/06 02:24 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Quote:

Yep...All the good ideas have been thought of!!!Maybe they need a 5 gallon size for the heavy night before drinkers!!!

Man, I can have a 5 coke hangover and still be thirsty and still not p!

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: HWY_MAN] #95746 10/06/06 03:13 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Never, i alway's go pee by 7Mag's stand.

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: 7mag] #95747 10/06/06 12:16 PM
L
LSU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
If you pee you will still see deer. But never that BIG DADDY

especially Bow Hunting

"wack 'em, stack 'em, pack 'em
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: sasquatch] #95748 10/16/06 02:27 PM
L
Luv2Hunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I have a great story for this thread.

Last year, my brother and I set up a ground blind for deer we knew were crossing a certain area for water. Saw deer every single morning in the area.

Well, as luck would have it, an old friend from high school was in the hometown this certain weekend and so knowing that he loved to hunt deer, we asked him to come along.

Early in the morning, we got to the hunt site and my old friend pulls out this "earth" cover scent and proceeds to spray himself down, his backpack, his boots, his legs, his body, etc. He was very careful to "cover" any scent that he would possibly have. He offered some cover scent to my brother and I but we politely declined.

My brother and I moved into the blind first and as we were getting settled, still in the dark mind you, I heard this splashing sound and to my absolutely astonishment and horror, my old friend was taking a cow sized leak "right beside the ground blind". Absolutely unbelievable. My brother and I just simply looked at each other. Now, you can argue one way or another on whether or not it will spook deer, etc. BUT, WHY WOULD YOU USE COVER SCENT AND THEN PEE EVERYWHERE. Why not just set up a neon sign that says "Here we arrrreeeeeee".

Needless to say, we didn't see a single, solitary deer AND that is the last time I hunt with my old friend from high school.

By the way, take a 20 oz. coke bottle into the deer woods with you and use that.

Be kind with your words, thankful to your Creator and generous with the meat from your hunt.
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: JJH] #95749 10/16/06 06:37 PM
D
DrPerry Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
What do you mean you're peeing on my stand! ! !

Keep it up and I'll pee on your feeder.

LOL

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: Luv2Hunt] #95750 10/16/06 07:19 PM
S
Safetyman15 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Quote:

I have a great story for this thread.

Last year, my brother and I set up a ground blind for deer we knew were crossing a certain area for water. Saw deer every single morning in the area.

Well, as luck would have it, an old friend from high school was in the hometown this certain weekend and so knowing that he loved to hunt deer, we asked him to come along.

Early in the morning, we got to the hunt site and my old friend pulls out this "earth" cover scent and proceeds to spray himself down, his backpack, his boots, his legs, his body, etc. He was very careful to "cover" any scent that he would possibly have. He offered some cover scent to my brother and I but we politely declined.

My brother and I moved into the blind first and as we were getting settled, still in the dark mind you, I heard this splashing sound and to my absolutely astonishment and horror, my old friend was taking a cow sized leak "right beside the ground blind". Absolutely unbelievable. My brother and I just simply looked at each other. Now, you can argue one way or another on whether or not it will spook deer, etc. BUT, WHY WOULD YOU USE COVER SCENT AND THEN PEE EVERYWHERE. Why not just set up a neon sign that says "Here we arrrreeeeeee".

Needless to say, we didn't see a single, solitary deer AND that is the last time I hunt with my old friend from high school.

By the way, take a 20 oz. coke bottle into the deer woods with you and use that.

Man thats too damn funny.

Be humble and take nothing for granted!
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: Safetyman15] #95751 10/16/06 07:37 PM
S
SplitTimeHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I don't know if it hurts or not, but i usually just kick the door open and let it ride. Most of the deer around me are 100 yards or more away, so it doesn't seem to bother them.

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: DrPerry] #95752 10/16/06 08:05 PM
J
JJH Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Quote:

What do you mean you're peeing on my stand! ! !

Keep it up and I'll pee on your feeder.

LOL

Well, if you insist. But don't say I didn't warn you that my feeder is hooked up to my electric fence!

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: JJH] #95753 10/16/06 09:05 PM
T
thirdeyemaps Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
dgilbert - Are you actually advocating pissing into the wind? Just curious - are you an Aggie?

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #95754 10/16/06 09:10 PM
T
thirdeyemaps Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I was under the impression there is a difference in the composition of urine from a carnivore vs a herbivore. Your post indicates you don't think so. Just curious what you base that on.

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: thirdeyemaps] #95755 10/16/06 11:04 PM
T
travelinman31 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Seriously are some of you guys kidding. Pi$$in by your blind attracts deer or makes them more inquisitive . If you don't think a deer can tell the difference from human pi$$ and coon pi$$ your crazy. Why would wind direction or covering human scent etc.. be a big part of hunting if they were curious over smells. I agree deer are somewhat curious animals, but when they smell something that ain't right there gone. A empty detergent bottle makes a great pee holder, even has a funnel for the less endowed.

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: JJH] #95756 10/17/06 12:40 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'll carry my bottle and use it, All the trouble to cover scent then piss in the area just doesn't fit. About the electric fence. We have to give a right of way to the lease next door,they cross our fence and go about 50 yards to their lease gate. The funnies thing I ever seen was a young man that pissed on the fence one day when it was turned off,He was on his why in to the stand,on the lease next door. The next morning I plugged in the fence before leaving camp, than about 15 minutes later the young man was headed to his stand on the lease next door, well he stopped at the same spot to take a leak, you could hear him in the next county. Still to this day we have not seen him back their yet.

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: Team Hillbilly] #95757 10/22/06 03:43 AM
C
CurtisCatfish Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
We found scrapes one time on our lease that had been hit about a month prior to season opener. We pulled out our knives and begin to scrape up the same trees in that path that the deer had been following, and we pee'd on every one of them, and everytime we walked by them. We saw more deer that year than we ever have. Might should have done that again this year.

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: sasquatch] #95758 10/22/06 03:54 AM
F
FishNHuntTX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
I dont see a reason to chance it. I just use a big gatorade bottle.

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: Luv2Hunt] #95759 10/22/06 04:46 AM
B
biz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
can you still get the wide mouth bottles

PULL the TRIGGER, SHOOT to KILL!!!
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: biz] #95760 10/22/06 11:08 AM
C
Chuckybrown Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I've got a buddy (not on my lease) that puts on an Adult Diaper before he goes out.

Not sure I'm down with that just yet, but a solution none-the-less! LOL

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: Chuckybrown] #95761 10/22/06 11:42 AM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Yea, only problem with that is now you gotta carry a diaper bag with you. Gotta have talcum powder and baby wipes.

Spanky

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: spanky] #95762 10/22/06 10:49 PM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I used to hunt with a guy that was so paranoid about this it was not even funny. His stand was about 15' high, so climbing down and walking in the woods was not a option. He felt not only did you put more scent on the ground, by feet and bodily fluids, it was not practical to get down every so often do preform this chore.

He did not like the idea of a jug, he said it seemed like it was always under foot and heaven forbid if you lost the top.

So he devised a urinal so to speak, so he did not have to leave the stand, but could also maintain scent control.

Here it goes per his specks, 1- funnel,1- metal circle clamp to fit the spout on the funnel, 18' of garden hose, 1- 5 gal. bucket with closeable lid, 1-tube of silicon caulk, and 1 cork or stopper for the inside of the funnel.

Mark the center of your bucket with a marker, and cut out a hole the size of the water hose.Next dig a hole underneath your stand to put the bucket in but leave it uncovered, take the end of the hose and put about 8" in the bucket and silicon it to the top of the bucket, and let dry. After drying run the rest of the hose up your stand thru a hole you drilled thru the side of your stand, siliconing this also.
Now attach the funnel to the other end, with a circle clamp, silicon at this point won't hurt either on the connection. Punch a small hole thru the top of the funnel and drive a small nail in the side of the stand where you want to hang it.

At this point it's finished, the cork or stopper is for the inside of the funnel to keep any smell from coming back up the hose.He keeps bottles of water in the stand and after using it he flushes it with about a 1/4 bottle of water. After the season he replaces all the components and starts all over again.

Spanky

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: spanky] #95763 10/23/06 02:25 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online Happy
duck & cover
Online Happy
duck & cover
HOnestly, use a 1 liter mountain dew or pepsi bottle........the wider opening is much safer and more confortable......

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #95764 10/23/06 02:26 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online Happy
duck & cover
Online Happy
duck & cover
Maybe a one-way valve on a bladder with a hose on your, leg, that runs down to the bladder strapped to your inner thigh under your clothes. Wow, i am going to get rich!

Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #95765 10/23/06 07:16 PM
D
Double_Drop_Tines Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

Hunting is more to me than Antlers on the wall. It's more about the memories you make, and sharing those memories with friends, and family.
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: spanky] #95766 10/23/06 07:42 PM
C
cj7zrcool Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Quote:

...1- funnel,1- metal circle clamp to fit the spout on the funnel, 18' of garden hose, 1- 5 gal. bucket with closeable lid, 1-tube of silicon caulk, and 1 cork or stopper for the inside of the funnel.

Mark the center of your bucket with a marker, and cut out a hole the size of the water hose.Next dig a hole underneath your stand to put the bucket in but leave it uncovered, take the end of the hose and put about 8" in the bucket and silicon it to the top of the bucket, and let dry. After drying run the rest of the hose up your stand thru a hole you drilled thru the side of your stand, siliconing this also.
Now attach the funnel to the other end, with a circle clamp, silicon at this point won't hurt either on the connection. Punch a small hole thru the top of the funnel and drive a small nail in the side of the stand where you want to hang it.

At this point it's finished, the cork or stopper is for the inside of the funnel to keep any smell from coming back up the hose.He keeps bottles of water in the stand and after using it he flushes it with about a 1/4 bottle of water. After the season he replaces all the components and starts all over again.

Jeez...I just use a bottle in my pop-up and tripod and in my box blind I run a piece of 1" PVC down the leg from one corner, and about 6" into the ground. Top it off with a funnel on the inside of the blind and you are done.

"You deserve what you accept"
Re: Urinating near your stand? [Re: cj7zrcool] #95767 10/24/06 12:37 PM
L
LSU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Saturday I urinated next to my stand not once, but twice, while I had deer at my feeder. One 140 4.5yr 9 point, 1 131 4.5yr 8 point and a young doe. Never left or even knew I was there.

Reason such good deer b/c we on high fence and we specialize in aging good deer for our clients

"wack 'em, stack 'em, pack 'em
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide