4970762 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#888212 - 09/06/09 10:46 AM Lake Somerville Duck Hunting
tinkerbell Offline

Woodsman

Loc: Texas
Has anyone hunted flag pond in a year even close to this dry??
Since it's boat in only. Is it even possible to get a boat up there this year?? I haven't hunted there before but recently moved to the area and was wondering if it was even possible to get there with the lake conditions? Thanx

#888235 - 09/06/09 11:14 AM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: tinkerbell]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas
I was in the area end of last season, did some rabbit/squirrel hunting and general looking around. Flag Pond may or may not be part of the hunting area now. Everything was and I am sure still is very dry. The adjacent TPWD WMA is upland and not really anything conductive to waterfowl hunting. But you live there, go look at it, you never know. The Corps public waterfowl hunting area has changed too, shoreline only, and very small now.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#888563 - 09/06/09 04:05 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: Sniper John]
long450 Offline
Green Horn

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I was in the area end of last season, did some rabbit/squirrel hunting and general looking around. Flag Pond may or may not be part of the hunting area now. Everything was and I am sure still is very dry. The adjacent TPWD WMA is upland and not really anything conductive to waterfowl hunting. But you live there, go look at it, you never know. The Corps public waterfowl hunting area has changed too, shoreline only, and very small now.
What do you mean by " Corps public waterfowl is shoreline only" ?

#888688 - 09/06/09 05:56 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: long450]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas
One of the public day hunting rules was
"Hunting is restricted to the shoreline with no exceptions"

Also there is a rule that if the lake falls 6 ft below conservation pool, they close the hunting area.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#888777 - 09/06/09 07:30 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: Sniper John]
Yegua lab Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Rockdale, Texas
Flag Pond is big time dry! The hole WMA in the puiblic hunting book is dry. Only thing holding water is the lake. We need some rain!!!!! The Yegua is not even running! Sorry about the info, but it hurts my Woodduck chasing also. I think we need a good beer drinking party up stream.LOL

2 Corinthians 4:8-9

#888792 - 09/06/09 07:46 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: Yegua lab]
pig out Offline

Tracker

Loc: College Station, TX
never been but was planing on going this year but obviously I'm not went to the lake a while back and it's bone dry.

#889624 - 09/07/09 01:29 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: pig out]
tinkerbell Offline

Woodsman

I figured Flag Pond would be dry. However when it is wet, would you recommend canoe to go up to flag pond from nails creek or a motorized boat. I can't really tell how far a paddle that would be. As far as the shorline hunting that looks terrible I went out there the other day and there is nothing food wise it would only be a loafing site at best and with such limited space you would be competing big time with other hunters

#889629 - 09/07/09 01:34 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: tinkerbell]
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
THF Celebrity

Loc: Central Texas
I receieved pics last season of FP, it broke my heart, totally dry. I have not been over there yet, but don't think I'll be hunting there this year either.

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
iSolunar

#889823 - 09/07/09 04:25 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: tinkerbell]
wal1809 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

I hunted flag a bunch some years back. If the birds are there then so is everyone else. It would be a long paddle at 1 AM. If you don't get started at 1 AM then everybody will beat you there and there is not a lot of room on Flag.

I went on opening day 4 years ago and hammered the snot out of the birds. It was a war zone. We left at 6:30 PM and got to the pond at dark. Disassembled the boat-motor-floor-gear-everything. Carried it all over and winched the boat over the levy. 2.5 hours of some serious work.

We parked the boat under a large tree by the pavilion and went to sleep on the boat floor. At 1:30 AM I could hear the winches from the army of boats coming to the pond. I spent the next 3 hours waking up to a boat(who could not see us under the tree) and shining them off. Lots of cussing that morning when they got shined off. 4.5 minutes and we were done with limits.

We ate breakfast and did all that work again getting out of there. Would I do it again? Nope
I would park my boat and travel light and walk the mile or two around the lake to hunt that spot. The problem is it is deep over there and you need a boat. On the other side it is not so deep.

Edited by WAL1809 (09/07/09 04:25 PM)

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

Originally Posted By: Judd
Impressive Dave! Was that your first stab at wood?

#944764 - 10/05/09 05:55 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: Sniper John]
pig out Offline

Tracker

Loc: College Station, TX
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
i was thinking about going there to hunt some squirrels and rabbits, did you have any luck?

#945030 - 10/05/09 07:53 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: wal1809]
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: WAL1809
I hunted flag a bunch some years back. If the birds are there then so is everyone else. It would be a long paddle at 1 AM. If you don't get started at 1 AM then everybody will beat you there and there is not a lot of room on Flag.

I went on opening day 4 years ago and hammered the snot out of the birds. It was a war zone. We left at 6:30 PM and got to the pond at dark. Disassembled the boat-motor-floor-gear-everything. Carried it all over and winched the boat over the levy. 2.5 hours of some serious work.

We parked the boat under a large tree by the pavilion and went to sleep on the boat floor. At 1:30 AM I could hear the winches from the army of boats coming to the pond. I spent the next 3 hours waking up to a boat(who could not see us under the tree) and shining them off. Lots of cussing that morning when they got shined off. 4.5 minutes and we were done with limits.

We ate breakfast and did all that work again getting out of there. Would I do it again? Nope
I would park my boat and travel light and walk the mile or two around the lake to hunt that spot. The problem is it is deep over there and you need a boat. On the other side it is not so deep.

now thats some hard work..I normally wake up around an hour before LST, have some coffee and then head out bounce

Grizzly Coolers
iSolunar

#946105 - 10/06/09 10:44 AM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: TreeBass]
wal1809 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

It was some hard work and I just aint that mad at them anymore.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

#947739 - 10/06/09 09:30 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: wal1809]
No Choke Offline
Tracker

Loc: 16 miles West of Longview,WA
Tink,
Call the Nail's Creek office. May have a bit of H20 in there now. You can be sure to hear an airboat or 2 the first few days up in there trying to find water....then blasting out and trying to find another spot. Happens every yr.

If there is enough H20, then will there be enough "duck veggies" to hold the birds? Doubt it.

Scouting pays off.

#947866 - 10/06/09 10:20 PM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: No Choke]
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: No Choke
Tink,
Call the Nail's Creek office. May have a bit of H20 in there now. You can be sure to hear an airboat or 2 the first few days up in there trying to find water....then blasting out and trying to find another spot. Happens every yr.

If there is enough H20, then will there be enough "duck veggies" to hold the birds? Doubt it.

Scouting pays off.

not any more loco

Grizzly Coolers
iSolunar

#948132 - 10/07/09 06:38 AM Re: Lake Somerville Duck Hunting [Re: TreeBass]
wal1809 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

I might be heading up there in the duck mobile/oral party wagon this weekend. If I go I will be taking the mud hogger and I will report back to you fellas on the h20 situation.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide