Forums46
Topics538,063
Posts9,732,591
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9021544 03/19/24 02:59 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Well, just found out that you cannot level an AT4X 2500. The shocks have certain settings that if exceed a certain height it will cause failure with the DSSV dampers. Basically, the AT4X is already lifted in the front ( and it is) and has enveloped all the ride height the shocks/control arms will allow. This is per ReadyLift, they are working on a level system right not but have not come out with one.

So....we are now looking at doing a reverse level in where we change the rear blocks to ones that are 1/2 " lower than the factory blocks. To be honest I wouldn't mind it being a little lower, its taller than my Ford in the rear and makes getting into it a pain, even pulling a trailer I really need to get longer drop hitches.

just get a dirtbox draw system and puts some tools in it

Last thing I want is more weight in that big bish

still a 3/4 ton truck, will ride better with a little weight back there. Put cool stuff like drones, air compressors, plug kit, etc

these even have built in slide for coolers etc.

https://dirtboxoverland.com/pages/truck-bed-drawer-system-info

That’s a nice set up and a lot more useful than the Decked system. I really like how they incorporated the slider into the unit instead of an add on

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: Ramball36] #9021605 03/19/24 11:49 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Ramball36
I’ve never seen a Chevy do well after changing the front suspension

The problem is not Chevy it's the chinese parts the kits have in them. The upper ball joints on lift kits are trash, at least the ones I have seen. I am a stock kinda guy anyway ... mostly because aftermarket is a nightmare to repair.

Pass the gravy.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: GasGuzzler] #9021689 03/19/24 02:42 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
I’ve never seen a Chevy do well after changing the front suspension

The problem is not Chevy it's the chinese parts the kits have in them. The upper ball joints on lift kits are trash, at least the ones I have seen. I am a stock kinda guy anyway ... mostly because aftermarket is a nightmare to repair.

Even the stock chevys end up making all kinds of noise after living on county roads. IFS on heavy trucks is asking for it

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9022087 03/20/24 11:38 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Correct ... after about 200K miles. What should the mileage be before moving parts wear?

Pass the gravy.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9022242 03/20/24 04:32 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I have another non Chevy diesel that has 243k and I’ve never touched the front end so I guess the standards are just lower for some brands

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: Ramball36] #9022419 03/20/24 10:14 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I have another non Chevy diesel that has 243k and I’ve never touched the front end so I guess the standards are just lower for some brands

all depends on the Truck. I had two Fords that were for all intents and purposes identical. One had to have some front end work done around 130k miles, the other didn't need to have any. Lived pretty much identical lives. Seen several Dodges need some front end work done around 80k. Others that didn't

I agree that I'm suspect of a IFS system on a 3/4 ton or larger truck and a straight axle setup is superior to a IFS in terms of strength but comes at the expense of ride and articulation.

We will see if the beefier control arms and other components on this truck hold up.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9023323 03/22/24 08:40 PM
H
HunterMattW2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I'm on order for a 3500, and have a favor to ask.

I'm gathering my measurements to see how much (hopefully I get real lucky) I need to modify the gate and carport.

GMC says width w/o mirrors is 81.85". Can you confirm which measurement that is; truck body only or with mirrors folded? And then an actual width with mirrors out normal driving?

Thanks in advance!

It's hard to feel sorry for someone with one leg who shoots themself in the foot.
Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: GasGuzzler] #9023421 03/23/24 02:10 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Correct ... after about 200K miles. What should the mileage be before moving parts wear?

I just turned 340k miles on my 2016 3500 Silverado. Front and rear end are still 100% factory, drivetrain 100% factory. Not been touched yet and still rides and drives nice. Truck is a work truck and is used as such - towing and loaded. I also live rural and many miles on gravel.

Actually went into the dealer this afternoon to look around. Truck has been great and owes me nothing but starting to get paranoid as i often do work for gold mines that require driving sometimes 300 miles off the grid at -30 to -40 temps. Feel like i might be pushing it. Truck craps out in the bush 200 miles from anywhere and it's winter it is serious. I always have enough provisions to survive 2 or 3 days at the minimum - but still would not be fun. Even with that many miles they took it for a test drive and offered me 10K for it today.

If i buy another it will be my last. 59 now and figure another 5 years and i am out. At that point gonna buy me an old fully restored and done up FJ - perfect machine for overlanding with an off-road camper.

OP - thanks for the review. Was your post that tipped the scales and moved me to visit the dealer this afternoon.

Last edited by Hirogen; 03/23/24 02:31 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: HunterMattW2] #9023527 03/23/24 01:52 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by HunterMattW2
I'm on order for a 3500, and have a favor to ask.

I'm gathering my measurements to see how much (hopefully I get real lucky) I need to modify the gate and carport.

GMC says width w/o mirrors is 81.85". Can you confirm which measurement that is; truck body only or with mirrors folded? And then an actual width with mirrors out normal driving?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I'll measure and get back to you

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: Hirogen] #9023528 03/23/24 01:58 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hirogen

I just turned 340k miles on my 2016 3500 Silverado. Front and rear end are still 100% factory, drivetrain 100% factory. Not been touched yet and still rides and drives nice. Truck is a work truck and is used as such - towing and loaded. I also live rural and many miles on gravel.

Actually went into the dealer this afternoon to look around. Truck has been great and owes me nothing but starting to get paranoid as i often do work for gold mines that require driving sometimes 300 miles off the grid at -30 to -40 temps. Feel like i might be pushing it. Truck craps out in the bush 200 miles from anywhere and it's winter it is serious. I always have enough provisions to survive 2 or 3 days at the minimum - but still would not be fun. Even with that many miles they took it for a test drive and offered me 10K for it today.

If i buy another it will be my last. 59 now and figure another 5 years and i am out. At that point gonna buy me an old fully restored and done up FJ - perfect machine for overlanding with an off-road camper.

OP - thanks for the review. Was your post that tipped the scales and moved me to visit the dealer this afternoon.

If it helps someone make a more informed decision, it accomplished what I was intending. I try to be as non-biased as possible.

Glad to hear you got that good of service out of your rig....I was wondering what your driving conditions were like. I've only been to Canada once, those guys were big on Toyota and didn't see too many diesels where I was at in Newfoundland.

My driving conditions may be similar to yours....long stretches of highway at high speed followed by many miles of graded gravel roads and then two-track roads. Needless to say, I'm hard on a truck and use them as they (claim) they are designed for. I don't tow super heavy but my boat and tractor are a bit heavier than what I would be comfortable towing them at highway speeds with a half ton.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9023772 03/24/24 03:09 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H

If it helps someone make a more informed decision, it accomplished what I was intending. I try to be as non-biased as possible.

Glad to hear you got that good of service out of your rig....I was wondering what your driving conditions were like. I've only been to Canada once, those guys were big on Toyota and didn't see too many diesels where I was at in Newfoundland.

My driving conditions may be similar to yours....long stretches of highway at high speed followed by many miles of graded gravel roads and then two-track roads. Needless to say, I'm hard on a truck and use them as they (claim) they are designed for. I don't tow super heavy but my boat and tractor are a bit heavier than what I would be comfortable towing them at highway speeds with a half ton.

Yes sounds like our driving habits/routines are similar. I generally don't give a rip about scratches and dings as it is a work truck and shyte happens. I am though meticulous where things mechanical are concerned and my OCD devotion to proactive maintenance shows in the miles I get out of my vehicles. My 2016 with 340k miles is still running on the factory injectors the truck shipped with.

I went back to the dealer this morning and pulled the trigger. I know your review was based on a GMC AT4X but i ended up going the Chevy ZR2 route. Not quite as refined per say but the same in terms of capability and ride quality. I think the ZR2 has slightly larger tires at 35 inches vs 33 inches on the AT4x due to differences in the wheel well designs. Pick it up Thursday and planning to take it on a 1000 mile road trip off-grid after easter pulling the snowmobiles to get into some way off-grid ice fishing with my nephew - kid is strangely more of a chip off my block than his old man's.

The Toyotas are quite popular here but just don't have the towing capacity or payload that i currently need - and honestly nice as a Tundra is it is almost the same price as a ZR2 2500 HD Diesel and let's be real here - it is nowhere close to the same truck in terms of - well everything. Once i retire though gonna kit myself out with an old restored FJ for overlanding. The new rig (stock photo - mine is also white and basically identical):

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hirogen; 03/24/24 03:41 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9023796 03/24/24 03:56 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Congrats on the new truck Hirogen. I’ve gone back and forth with the new trucks, I want a MegaCab Cummins, but I want the off road capabilities of the Fors Tremor, Chevy ZR2, and GMC AT4X. So I’ve come to the conclusion that my 2014 Ram will be around a while longer because I can’t have exactly what I want to pay for.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: BigPig] #9023804 03/24/24 04:06 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by BigPig
Congrats on the new truck Hirogen. I’ve gone back and forth with the new trucks, I want a MegaCab Cummins, but I want the off road capabilities of the Fors Tremor, Chevy ZR2, and GMC AT4X. So I’ve come to the conclusion that my 2014 Ram will be around a while longer because I can’t have exactly what I want to pay for.

Thanks, Rebel HD might be close.

Last edited by Hirogen; 03/24/24 04:07 AM.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: Hirogen] #9024059 03/24/24 09:14 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BigPig

Thanks, Rebel HD might be close.

Yeah but those are ugly. I’ll save my self $90,000 and just add an electric locker to the front and rear of my truck and additional skid plates. It’s already on 35’s.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9024132 03/25/24 12:17 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMO the Chevy has a better thought out interior, the GM engineer crapped the bed when he put the trailer brake control and push to start button where he did. Its really in a terrible location.

ZR2 and the ATX4 are mechanically identical; same tires, lift, DSSV Dampers, etc.

I'm sure you will love the truck and congratulations!

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9024141 03/25/24 12:30 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Congrats on a nice truck!!! I have a 2024 AT4 HD with the Duramax. I am currently at 24,000 miles or so. Only things I have seen so far on a few that have come through the shop are front transmission pump seals leaking and have seen a couple where the left front differential bearing will completely come apart. Last one we had customer didn't notice it was leaking before it completely blew up the front differential.

One thing I will warn you about though is these newer GM vehicle are easy to steal. They cut through the right fender liner or rip the fender molding off to get to the horn then proceed to beak into the vehicle and go after the onstar module (GPS). There are several news articles out especially in Houston about the theft of these trucks.

I ended up getting a steering wheel cable lock that attaches to the buckle, a cover protector that goes over the OBD plug and I work with a guy that keeps his remotes in a protective pouch so they can't steal the transmitter frequency.

Again congrats on one heck of a truck!!

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: dlrz71] #9024238 03/25/24 11:39 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by dlrz71
They cut through the right fender liner or rip the fender molding off to get to the horn then proceed to beak into the vehicle and go after the onstar module (GPS).

I had one where they just reached under to rip the horn wiring loose, punched out the door lock (held in place by a plastic bracket that's easy to break just servicing the door), and unplugging the OnStar (good thing it's easy to get to with how common the module failure is). Last one came in with the BCM unplugged instead of the OnStar. Theif didn't get far. Got his instructions from YouTube I'm guessing.

Pass the gravy.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: GasGuzzler] #9024681 03/26/24 01:41 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by dlrz71
They cut through the right fender liner or rip the fender molding off to get to the horn then proceed to beak into the vehicle and go after the onstar module (GPS).

I had one where they just reached under to rip the horn wiring loose, punched out the door lock (held in place by a plastic bracket that's easy to break just servicing the door), and unplugging the OnStar (good thing it's easy to get to with how common the module failure is). Last one came in with the BCM unplugged instead of the OnStar. Theif didn't get far. Got his instructions from YouTube I'm guessing.

rofl

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9025254 03/27/24 03:35 AM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
txtrophy -- does your 2500 not have independent lockers up front and in the back? I got a 1500 AT4X when BigPig didn't do a good job patrolling the city and mine has both, but it sounded like from your intro like yours only has a rear locking diff.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: TLew] #9025350 03/27/24 12:58 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TLew
txtrophy -- does your 2500 not have independent lockers up front and in the back? I got a 1500 AT4X when BigPig didn't do a good job patrolling the city and mine has both, but it sounded like from your intro like yours only has a rear locking diff.

The 2500’s only have a rear locker. That’s one thing I miss about the Tremor, it had a Torsin limited slip front diff and man did it make a difference in mud and sand.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9026144 03/28/24 11:50 PM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Picked it up today. Taking it on a 1000+ mile road trip starting Sunday Morning. Some of that (+/- 80 miles will be snowy/icy sorta maintained off-grid logging roads) will let you know what i think when i get back. Pretty spring like at home but where i am headed not so much.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hirogen; 03/28/24 11:51 PM.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: Hirogen] #9026172 03/29/24 01:38 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Picked it up today. Taking it on a 1000+ mile road trip starting Sunday Morning. Some of that (+/- 80 miles will be snowy/icy sorta maintained off-grid logging roads) will let you know what i think when i get back. Pretty spring like at home but where i am headed not so much.

[Linked Image]

my man!!! beautiful truck!!

Hirogen dont play!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9026211 03/29/24 02:42 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
thats a good looking rig...I'm sure your gonna love it

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: Hirogen] #9026235 03/29/24 04:33 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

[Linked Image]

Great looking truck. I finally saw that color in person and it sure is unique.

Re: GMC AT4X 2500 HD 100 mile Review [Re: txtrophy85] #9026256 03/29/24 10:24 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have not seen a ZR2 in 2500 yet.

Pass the gravy.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide