B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
My $ .02 worth....

As Bryan said, I try my best to not buy anything mfg in the PRC.

I haven't seen a single new production Leupold that the adjustments would reliably move the POI 1/4" making them a bitch to zero. However once zeroed they seem to hold zero fine.

If I had to use it you couldn't give me any FFP scope!!! Why would you want the reticle to get larger on high magnification and smaller on low magnification????

I don't trust the clicks on any CDS type scope to consistently repeat. If you need long range capability simply choose a SFP with a BDC reticle and shoot on it's highest magnification setting.

The older Bushnell 4200 scopes mfg in Japan were some of the best under $500. scopes ever built. Now all Bushnells are mfg in PRC. It's getting harder and harder to find optics mfg in Japan because so many people buy based on price rather than quality.

I've had good luck with Burris scopes mfg in the Philippines, but it looks like Burris is also going PRC for their new products. These are still some of the Philippine mfg Burris Droptine and Fullfield II out there for sale at fair prices.

I know it's out of the $500. budget, but the Japan mfg Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 in the $700. range and the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 in the $900. range are great scopes. I have several of each and they have all been reliable.

I guess you haven't shot long range very much.

That was dumb, Mr. Wilson is surrounded by champions and bad azzes of the shooting world in all aspects

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: patriot07] #9010802 02/24/24 11:36 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by patriot07
I just sold a Leupold MK 3HD for about that price. It was extremely clear for the $ and I'm a glass snob. Good FOV and little to no CA, great clarity and colors.

It was for sure the absolute best value I could find in the $500 range. Even my wife commented on the quality. She does not even care about my guns and stuff at all. I didn’t lead her into it I just said just come over and check it out. Soon as she looked through it her eyes lit up, and she understood why you pay the $ for good glass.

Thanks again for that scope

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 02/24/24 11:42 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: Brother in-law] #9010854 02/25/24 01:55 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
My $ .02 worth....

I haven't seen a single new production Leupold that the adjustments would reliably move the POI 1/4" making them a bitch to zero. However once zeroed they seem to hold zero fine.

If I had to use it you couldn't give me any FFP scope!!! Why would you want the reticle to get larger on high magnification and smaller on low magnification????

I don't trust the clicks on any CDS type scope to consistently repeat. If you need long range capability simply choose a SFP with a BDC reticle and shoot on it's highest magnification setting.

The older Bushnell 4200 scopes mfg in Japan were some of the best under $500. scopes ever built. Now all Bushnells are mfg in PRC. It's getting harder and harder to find optics mfg in Japan because so many people buy based on price rather than quality.

I've had good luck with Burris scopes mfg in the Philippines, but it looks like Burris is also going PRC for their new products. These are still some of the Philippine mfg Burris Droptine and Fullfield II out there for sale at fair prices.

I know it's out of the $500. budget, but the Japan mfg Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 in the $700. range and the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 in the $900. range are great scopes. I have several of each and they have all been reliable.

That was dumb, Mr. Wilson is surrounded by champions and bad azzes of the shooting world in all aspects

I’m pretty sure he has his own 1400 yard range as well.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: J.G.] #9010986 02/25/24 02:48 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
My $ .02 worth....

You're way too comfortable in your very narrow lane.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: Brother in-law] #9011134 02/25/24 08:39 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
My $ .02 worth....

popcorn

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9011209 02/25/24 11:09 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Look i am the one that eats crow around here, i guess foot mouth is more contagious than i thought. I would not challenge Mr. Bill Wilson or J.G. on much nor would i pile on against them one or the other.

I chalk it up to one factor, “YMMV”

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 02/25/24 11:14 PM.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: 10 Gauge] #9011234 02/25/24 11:53 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Look i am the one that eats crow around here, i guess foot mouth is more contagious than i thought. I would not challenge Mr. Bill Wilson or J.G. on much nor would i pile on against them one or the other.

I chalk it up to one factor, “YMMV”

You should have stopped before you put them both in the same sentence.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9011245 02/26/24 12:08 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
You got me there. That don’t make it ok to pile on. Just like the people that pile on against Leupold might make you think it’s a POS, leupold makes some excellent rifle scopes.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 02/26/24 12:16 AM.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: 10 Gauge] #9011285 02/26/24 01:08 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
You got me there. That don’t make it ok to pile on. Just like the people that pile on against Leupold might make you think it’s a POS, leupold makes some excellent rifle scopes.

I don’t think any of us were piling on Leupold, just sharing our experiences. I’ve never owned anything VX5 or higher. My experience is with their cheaper lines.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9011287 02/26/24 01:15 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I will say my buddies old Mark 4 4.5-14 never had an issue and it was on a SCAR 17. I was surprised since the SCAR has a terrible reputation for destroying scopes.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9011312 02/26/24 02:09 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I’ve got Leupold scopes that are clear and function perfectly, that have likely been on Earth longer than some of the folks on this thread.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: wp75169] #9011337 02/26/24 02:59 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by wp75169
My $ .02 worth....

I’m pretty sure he has his own 1400 yard range as well.

The relationship of reticle size to target size is the same throughout the magnification range on a FFP scope. If the reticle is .1 Mil or 1/4 MOA thick at 5X, it is .1 Mil or 1/4 MOA at 10X, 15X, 20X, 25X. The reticle does not cover more target when the magnification is turned up. The relationship is always the same.

SFP means a reticle subtends at one magnification. Whatever setting that is, half of that magnification equals double the value. If the SFP scope subtends at 20X, then at 10X a Mil or an MOA in the reticle is actually 2 Mil or 2 MOA. In that case, whatever someone's corrections are, they must cut them in half.

There are plenty of times of year, we cannot use full magnification because of mirage being too heavy. The best scopes in the world may not cut through it. Turn down the magnification to regain clarity.

BDC meaning the makers that make BDC? Without good wind holds? Or BDC meaning Mil or MOA?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9011340 02/26/24 03:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

I read a quote today, that applies to you pretty well.

"Sometimes the people that watch you the closest, hate you the most. So give em a [censored] show."

Mind over matter.
I don't mind, and you don't matter.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: ntxtrapper] #9011349 02/26/24 03:34 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I’ve got Leupold scopes that are clear and function perfectly, that have likely been on Earth longer than some of the folks on this thread.

up

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: J.G.] #9011350 02/26/24 03:38 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

"Sometimes the people that watch you the closest, hate you the most. So give em a [censored] show."

Mind over matter.

You have an over inflated sense of yourself. Watch you? Hate you? You sound like a child. You're kind of hard to ignore when you comment on my posts and start cussing and name calling just because I have an opinion that is different than yours. I think it's, "Don't start none, there won't be none"?

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9011356 02/26/24 03:48 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Yep i think the best value in optics around $500 or less is the THF hook-up. No doubt. If you can deal with the squabbling, that is.

It’s entertaining. It’s kinda like watching COPS or springer.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9011360 02/26/24 04:23 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Mind over matter.

You have an over inflated sense of yourself. Watch you? Hate you? You sound like a child. You're kind of hard to ignore when you comment on my posts and start cussing and name calling just because I have an opinion that is different than yours. I think it's, "Don't start none, there won't be none"?

You are the instigator.

This exact post proves it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9011372 02/26/24 08:13 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
If you do want FFP the EuoOptic sale is still going on the XTR II. The 3-15 is $539 all in to your door. I think it’s still the best bang for your buck going right now. 5-25 is still in stock for $70 more.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: J.G.] #9011387 02/26/24 11:47 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Mind over matter.

You are the instigator.

This exact post proves it.

Wrong. Telling you that you have a narrow focus isn't instigating anything, unless you have thin skin.

There are other posts and threads. You've called me a punk, shady, etc......you respond to my posts quoting me stating I am wrong and then promote your ammo, call me a troll when I correct you, use the "F" word, you just can't handle it when I correct you when you're wrong or disagree with you. It always ends with you acting foolish. I understand, you have a part time business to promote with every post and can't afford to be wrong when part of your schtick is to be an expert to potential customers. Just stop with the discrediting, name calling, respectfully disagree......as for the cussing, I don't mind. I cuss like a sailor, but not here. It will get you banned, something you know way more about than I do.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: wp75169] #9011395 02/26/24 12:05 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If you do want FFP the EuoOptic sale is still going on the XTR II. The 3-15 is $539 all in to your door. I think it’s still the best bang for your buck going right now. 5-25 is still in stock for $70 more.

That’s a steal. Almost as good as the THF hookup

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 02/26/24 12:06 PM.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: 10 Gauge] #9013251 03/01/24 12:28 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

That’s a steal. Almost as good as the THF hookup

That is a good deal. That 5-25 needs to be on my turtle rifle.

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9013320 03/01/24 02:40 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
XTR2 had some of the worst glass at its price point. It had repeatable tracking and good reticles but the glass was just atrocious

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9013630 03/01/24 09:57 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Vortex Viper PST Gen II is on sale for $569

Link Here

Last edited by Gone to Texas; 03/01/24 09:57 PM.
Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9019028 03/14/24 12:43 AM
DustyArmadillo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Just bought a Trijicon Accupoint with the green dot, love it.

Think it was $635 ish out the door. (B&H photo special order)

I don't plan on spinning for long range targets so can't comment on tracking.

The knobs have great clicks, not mushy, very definite.

One thing leupold does right is the scope caps, absolutely love those things.

Don't sleep on Burris!! rifle

Re: Best Scope Up to $500 [Re: DQ Kid] #9023299 03/22/24 07:54 PM
7o8 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Have a couple Accupoints and they are awesome! Needed something for a guest gun and snagged an old school 3X9 40mm Huron from EuroOptic's Scopelist. Was just over $350 delivered and the glass is every bit as good as the Accupoints. Pretty much set and forget, but can still dial it back if needed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide