Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
English Springer Spaniel #9013464 03/01/24 03:45 PM
shooterwalter Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Looking and wondered if any advise is available here.

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: shooterwalter] #9014043 03/03/24 01:57 AM
R
rclee Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Not sure how much you know about them already. There are two distinct lines - field and bench/show. I have a field springer. I've never hunted her but she is a retrieving machine. She will search like crazy if she doesn't see exactly where the ball went. She will calm down quickly when she comes back inside after playing.

She loves to carry a toy around in her mouth. When she comes back to the door without it she will take off like a rocket when I say toy.

She is very gentle with the grandkids but will get underfoot easily and trip me and the wife at times. I have to be careful about raising my voice around her. My son would get vocal while watching football and she would come over to calm him down.

Don't know if this is the kind of info you were looking for so I hope it helps.

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: shooterwalter] #9014585 03/04/24 11:15 AM
B
Blanco Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have the field bred variety and they are bird finding and retrieving machines.
The trainer i use in Louisiana likes them better than labs for ducks as they are much lighter and won't turn over his boat.
There is a breeder / trainer I think that is near Decatur. I will find the info

Confidence is going after a whale in a rowboat, and taking the tartar sauce with you!
https://highbrasssports.com

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: shooterwalter] #9014939 03/04/24 11:29 PM
D
Dink Dodger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Do some research on Springer rage. I've had 7 over the years and have never ran across it. But it exists. I've had a mix of field lines (Cornwalls) and bench lines. My favorite was one of my pups that was half Cornwall and half bench line. I only ever took him dove hunting, he was really a house dog but as mentioned if he saw a bird go down he wouldn't stop looking until he found it. That said I never tried training him other than obedience training and just playing fetch. I lived in Montgomery County and left him to run 14 acres during the day but he was always sitting on the porch by 430 when I got home. When I moved back up here, I'm pretty sure I could have left my door open and he would have been here when I got home also. I have limited hunting experience with them but can say they have all been great family dogs. Some were more clingy than others and one had separation anxiety but I'd take another one just like him, he was a good boy and I still miss him.

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: shooterwalter] #9015110 03/05/24 12:44 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
My son got one from someone of this forum. The dog was a older and had some experience. He quickly adapted to living in the house. Simple commands were easy since he probably was exposed to them before but maybe a different word or hand signal. The dog already liked to swim and retrieve. My son used the 10-Minute Retriever book for basics. At the bird club he taught the dog to "Hup" on command, and when a bird flushed. He learned that in one day and it stuck. Then he trained over a pond including sitting still, waiting for a command to retrieve and bringing the bird to hand, His first year with us he found and flushed about a dozen woodcock, 6 pheasants and 7 coveys of quail plus singles. He also retrieved 34 ducks. We were told he would track a deer. There was a need and we gave him a chance. He tracked right to the deer, about 150-yards through heavy brush.mAlthough the dog is a summer couch potato and likes watching TV with the cat, he stepped right back into training which is really just reinforcement at this time. This season my son was taking 2 to 4 other people on most duck hunt. The Springer got to retrieve 212 ducks and 194 doves. He's pleasant in the house, gets along well with other dogs and cats and people. He sits still in a boat or blind and swims like a porpoise. I'm a pointing dog guy, but this Springer is one of the most versatile dogs we've ever had. I like the size and color. The long hair can be a pain to deal with. This is my son's dog and I have my hands full of pointing dogs. However we both have a Springer on the short list if/when the time comes to replace a dog.

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: shooterwalter] #9015219 03/05/24 04:20 PM
shooterwalter Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
THank you to those who replied.

Now anyone know of one to 18 mos available, mayube needing to be re-homed?

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide