Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: RedRanger] #9010143 02/23/24 06:39 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by MeanGreen85
Depends on what the kids what to do with their lives. Doctors, engineers, etc., like you said - absolutely yes.

Do engineers make much yearly? I would be surpised if they cleared 125K per year.

Doctors seem like a lot of work and education for a long time until they start making money.

Definitely can and do, I have two open positions now which start at $120k , only need 3-5 years of the right experience and a mechanical engineering degree

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: BigPig] #9010147 02/23/24 06:50 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
If the career you want requires it, then yes it’s necessary.

Now if you’re asking if a college degree’s cost is justified? Most likely no.

When my son starts college in 2036, it’s estimated that Texas Tech will cost $280,000 for a bachelor’s degree. That really makes college questionable.

My wife paid her way through college at UTD, came out with zero debt and had zero financial assistance while doing it. Sure it took her 8 years instead of 4, but she worked full time during those years and that is what lead her to the career she is in now.

That's insane considering what my degree cost out there a couple decades ago.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: RedRanger] #9010157 02/23/24 07:06 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Do engineers make much yearly? I would be surpised if they cleared 125K per year.

Depends on the type of engineer. For example, a civil engineer makes little versus a petroleum engineer. A family member's oil and gas employer pays new petroleum graduates roughly $115k. With their bonus they are in the neighborhood of $135k plus great benefits. That same family member had summer internships that equated to approximately $85k/year (that was in 2006 or so, I think).

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010160 02/23/24 07:08 PM
K
Kevin_M Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
K
My job "requires" a minimum of a Bachelors Degree, +10 years related experience however I have zero college education. I started with my company pretty much at the bottom and have worked my way to where I am now. I had to make a lot of strategic sacrifices, sometimes not so short-term to get where I am but in a lot of cases if you put in the work you can progress as far as you want without a degree. As far as salary goes all of my Engineers that work for me are making >100k with a couple are closing in on 200k. Of those only 1 has a degree. I hired based not so much on what you know today but are you eager to learn more in this field. If they are willing to learn, I am willing to mentor. (I have no use for a know-it all) We had one and he somehow lasted 3 years. Everyone else are the original hires from when the team was formed 7 years ago.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: gtrich94] #9010168 02/23/24 07:34 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
gtrich94, you may have made the most important point in this discussion. Using your body vs using your brain to make a living.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Mickey Moose] #9010177 02/23/24 07:40 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

Depends on the type of engineer. For example, a civil engineer makes little versus a petroleum engineer. A family member's oil and gas employer pays new petroleum graduates roughly $115k. With their bonus they are in the neighborhood of $135k plus great benefits. That same family member had summer internships that equated to approximately $85k/year (that was in 2006 or so, I think).

Don't underestimate CEs. I know several CEs that make >$300k when you lump in some of the financial benefits

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010180 02/23/24 07:49 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
In addition to the comments about the major being a determining factor in value, I think the general college education process is valuable. I have both a blue and white collar past, so my opinion is as objective as possible.

There’s a noticeable difference between grads and non-grads in the workforce to me. College graduates tend to be more polished and have much better analytical skills. Their ability to manage relationships is much better as well. I attribute these skills to group projects, a feeling of accomplishment, and being forced to formulate opinions based on facts.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010184 02/23/24 07:54 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
My son wants to pursue law so for him it’s an obvious must. I wouldn’t discourage college from
Anyone unless they just want to go straight to workforce. I do not have a bachelors degree and even though it would be irrelevant to my career I still wish I had that achievement. I have been fortunate enough to find good opportunities in my life and for that I am grateful, but it hasn’t always been an easy path

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010188 02/23/24 08:03 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Our best developer doesn't have a degree. The dude is brilliant.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010196 02/23/24 08:18 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have a degree but am not convinced I really needed it to be doing what I am doing. I have had my own business for 15 years in the field that my degree is in. It is a highly technical field but I worked in this industry for 13 years prior to starting my business and I started out as a summer job in high school. About 95% of what I do I learned on the job and maybe 5% in school. I really don’t feel it was necessary but I could be wrong. That being said in my field the majority of large employers won’t even give you an interview without a masters degree.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010197 02/23/24 08:25 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Wow, college is getting way too expensive.
In our immediate family, I am the only one that doesn't have a college degree, I chose the Trade School rout. Only took me 14 months to finish trade school and went to work at a chemical refinery. Spent 42+ years there. Only the electrical engineer finally caught up to me in pay, took him 10 years after graduation to do it.

Daughter has a Psychology degree and works for UT Health Science Center using her degree.

Oldest son (twins) is an Electrical Engineer with 2 math degrees and is using his degree. His wife has a degree, don't believe she is using hers, but had to have it to get the job in the medical field she is in.

Youngest son (twins) has a Business Degree with a minor in computer science and works for a city using his degree. His wife is a RN and is working at a local hospital and working on her Masters Degree.

My wife has an Elementary Education Degree and taught till she retired and is tutoring kids now at a couple of local schools.

Now for a question. Where are we going to get teachers in the future if a 4 year degree is required and the cost is over $100k. Also why is said degree required to teach Kindergarten thru 3rd grade (or higher) how to read, write and do math other than to keep professors employed at the colleges? It seems like a 2 year degree would be sufficient. According to my wife, nothing she took in college taught her her how to teach.
When she was working on her masters degree, one major grade was on building a shadow box about "The Polar Express" book. By the way, I got her an A+ on it.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010207 02/23/24 08:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
College got expensive once the government got full scale into the college loan business. It soon became a matter of colleges seeing how much money could be borrowed to fund a college education. With the exception of Co-op programs, I'm not sure a kid can work their way through college without the aid of student loans given what it costs today.

A high school diploma tells a potential employer you're capable of learning and remembering what you've been taught. A four-year college degree adds that you can complete a long-term goal without quitting. With or without a college degree, the most valuable learning comes from being on the job.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/23/24 08:48 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #9010209 02/23/24 08:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Our best developer doesn't have a degree. The dude is brilliant.

American colleges SUX @ developing and Teaching IT. Only a few schools that get it, like MIT.

Our university IT programs are basically a STEM EAD revenue scam. Most the STEM OPT EAD’s have a higher skill set already then what our universities teach

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010212 02/23/24 09:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
some recent grad info I pulled that we have hired. All BS and entry level.

Human Factors Engineer is $150k DFW(cola) & 180k west coast cola
Petro engineer 135k -146k (TX and CO Cola)
EE 115-135k TX cola
CE 85-115k TX cola

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: TLew] #9010218 02/23/24 09:17 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by TLew
Don't underestimate CEs. I know several CEs that make >$300k when you lump in some of the financial benefits

Wow, I'd guess that's pretty much unheard of for straight out of college. Hard to believe even.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Texas Dan] #9010219 02/23/24 09:18 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
College got expensive once the government got full scale into the college loan business. It soon became a matter of colleges seeing how much money could be borrowed to fund a college education.

Total nonsense. That's not even remotely accurate. Only within the last 15-20 years did the cost of college begin to severely outpace the rate of inflation. Federal student aid and loan programs began almost 60 years ago in 1965 with the introduction of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Gringo Bling] #9010233 02/23/24 09:56 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
College got expensive once the government got full scale into the college loan business. It soon became a matter of colleges seeing how much money could be borrowed to fund a college education.

Total nonsense. That's not even remotely accurate. Only within the last 15-20 years did the cost of college begin to severely outpace the rate of inflation. Federal student aid and loan programs began almost 60 years ago in 1965 with the introduction of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Those fancy student centers, dorms, and football stadiums ain't free.

[Linked Image]
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Mickey Moose] #9010235 02/23/24 10:00 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

Wow, I'd guess that's pretty much unheard of for straight out of college. Hard to believe even.

I wasn't referring to starting salary since RR was asking in general about engineer salaries (and clearing 125k).

Long term earning potential/trajectory should factor into it more than starting salary in my opinion, and they both have options to earn a fantastic living depending on if you want to work your arse off and also consider a management path.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010265 02/23/24 11:03 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't hear many college graduates say they are sorry they earned their degree. In fact, I've never heard that said. On the other hand, I do hear those that did not earn a degree state that they wish they had.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: TLew] #9010269 02/23/24 11:11 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I wasn't referring to starting salary since RR was asking in general about engineer salaries (and clearing 125k).

Oh. I thought we were talking new graduates getting their first job since the topic was about getting a degree. I even talked about that in my post that you responded to.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010277 02/23/24 11:22 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
As an engineering grad, you won’t be looking for a job. The companies come looking for you. I probably had 10 plant trips and job offers when I graduated. And I was a long way from the top of my class.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: 603Country] #9010284 02/23/24 11:28 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by 603Country
As an engineering grad, you won’t be looking for a job. The companies come looking for you. I probably had 10 plant trips and job offers when I graduated. And I was a long way from the top of my class.

Yes, it's all about what your degree is in. There are many worthless degrees. Engineering isn't one of them.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010288 02/23/24 11:32 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I think it is necessary if you want to go into a specific field. A trade school is a great idea for lots of young people. A degree does not make you smarter or a better applicant lots of times though. When I was a production facilitator in a manufacturing plant, they hired this guy with a degree that came from a local family that had money. He was working on the shop floor for me on the weekend shift on my assembly / paint line. After the 1st weekend he told me that he wanted a position in the front offices and not on the shop floor. There had been some kind of mix up he said. Wrong. Last I heard he was working on the family farm carrying the pi$$ bucket for the other hired help with no degree.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: ntxtrapper] #9010294 02/23/24 11:45 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I just have a high school education and my secretary had a masters degree.

Master’s degree in what??? confused2

Apparently not anything very marketable….

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9010306 02/24/24 12:02 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have a bunch of degrees;Associates in IT, BBA and MBA in Finance. Taught IT and Finance courses in College. Never worked in the Finance arena. It did teach me a lot about the Finance/Banking world. The degrees got me interviews at Fortune 500 companies where all professional jobs are “ degree required”. They still are. I got out as an IT Executive because I got a bellyful of corporate BS/Politics and opened my own business in IT Headhunting. Retired from that.

Most big companies are degree required for “professional” positions. Thats in in Finance, Engineering, Math, Teaching, Human Resources, etc.

Want a military career? Non degree stops at Sergeant. Degreed starts at Lieutenant. Sergeant has to salute first but the Lieutenant has to return it. I made it to E5 Staff Sergeant in the USAF and got out after 4 years. That’s when I had grown up enough to get serious about College. I was a late bloomer.

Lots of careers can be had without a degree. A good electrician makes a damn good living as does my plumber buddy. A good mechanic, especially a good automatic transmission guy, can do well. Another close friend is one of the very few mechanics that work on older outboard motors. Another friend has a good sized 4WD Off Road repair business. My son in law, non degreed, makes a damn good living as an aircraft mechanic. A high school buddy could sell shoes to legless people or ice cream to eskimos.

Know what the educational organizations don’t/ can’t teach? Common sense, work ethic and how to get along with people. Nor initiative.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide