Forums46
Topics538,669
Posts9,739,865
Members87,102
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002482 02/09/24 04:45 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
The word Fentanyl says all I need to know

hanged whip rifle flame

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002503 02/09/24 09:54 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
He's a liability from an insurance point of view, miight be time to cut him loose.

If someone in his 40's is still doing hard drugs it's a life style and and more than likely not willing to stop.
You could sit him down and give him one chance but he will be placed on a random drug test schedule at your request. Drug test now a days isn't just pee in the bottle, they take hair samples and results go back 90 days as to what's in your system. I had this when we were driving company vehicles for insurance purposes in my career.

Last edited by angus1956; 02/09/24 09:55 AM.
Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002512 02/09/24 11:47 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I can understand your stance on that if he did it. How would you feel about firing him if he didn’t do it?

Thanks for answering, by the way.

I wasn’t contemplating firing him before this occurred if that is what you are asking. He does his job. Not great, not horrible, but average. Whether he is actually guilty or not I don’t know. It seems pretty unlikely to rack up all those charges and run from the cops if your weren’t guilty. Also the fact that he has been to prison for drugs in the past makes it even more probable. He isn’t a young guy either he is in his 40s.

The way our judicial system works it could be years before he has a trial for this. If I reasonably believe he is guilty I can’t have him driving the company truck around and endangering everyone if he is using while I wait on a trial.

Lets see; He was sent to prison for drugs (must have been a lot of drugs or a lot of other bad things prior that went a long with the drugs that warranted being sent to prison)
It appears he lied to you about still doing drugs, maybe he does not use drugs, just Deals Drugs? He gets arrested again for running from the police and busted with the drug Fentanyl that is killing more Americans than anything else.

He probably poses a serious liability to your business if he causes an accident while on the job and the fact that you knew about his past and present legal problems.

He is a cancer that needs to be removed!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stub; 02/09/24 01:14 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002517 02/09/24 12:37 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
He ran from the cops as he was afraid of being arrested and then fired.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Hudbone] #9002532 02/09/24 01:12 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
He ran from the cops as he was afraid of being arrested and then fired.

If he was not doing anything wrong, then he had no reason to run from the cops.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: unclebubba] #9002537 02/09/24 01:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Innocent people get arrested. Just because he got arrested, does not mean he is guilty. That said, most of the time, people that get arrested probably are guilty. Were you thinking about firing him already and are just looking for an excuse? Texas is an at will state. You don't need a reason to fire him if you were already thinking about firing him.

its is an at will state, but there are two protections; EEOC and Americans with disabilities act…. If his Employee shows up Monday says I have a drug problem and getting rehab, Good luck firing him W/out repercussions.

Best to fire him before he can tell you about his drug problem

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002548 02/09/24 01:42 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Should you wait until he gets convicted?

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: blkt2] #9002551 02/09/24 01:48 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by blkt2
I don't know what kind of work you do but one doper can ruin an entire crew. Keeping one around is never a good idea. If your worried about being fair give the guy 2 weeks severance and wish him well. That will be better than anything anyone else has done for him before.

Dumb question but how many people who get caught with fentanyl don't realize they had fentanyl in their possession and thought they just had a hydrocodone or something?

This is really bad advice. OP has a chance to terminate him for cause, which will allow him to block the employee from drawing unemployment. ANY sort of $ on the way out gives the employee a big chance of drawing unemployment. I've been on some of those calls with TWC and you better have everything you can on your side to win the fight.

And does it make it better if he illegally obtained hydro instead of fentanyl? He's still a druggy and a liability.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9002557 02/09/24 02:01 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I don't know what kind of work you do but one doper can ruin an entire crew. Keeping one around is never a good idea. If your worried about being fair give the guy 2 weeks severance and wish him well. That will be better than anything anyone else has done for him before.

Dumb question but how many people who get caught with fentanyl don't realize they had fentanyl in their possession and thought they just had a hydrocodone or something?

This is really bad advice. OP has a chance to terminate him for cause, which will allow him to block the employee from drawing unemployment. ANY sort of $ on the way out gives the employee a big chance of drawing unemployment. I've been on some of those calls with TWC and you better have everything you can on your side to win the fight.

And does it make it better if he illegally obtained hydro instead of fentanyl? He's still a druggy and a liability.

Who gives rats [censored] about the man getting unemployment? I have never cared a bit about that and have fired people who then went and got it. It is part of not being a petty bitch.

I asked what I asked because fentanyl is currently the boogie man that everyone is worked up about but several people on this board with law enforcement backgrounds and experience are saying that fentanyl was coming in damn near everything.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9002561 02/09/24 02:13 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

He doesn't have cause because of an Arrest, he only has cause with conviction that violates handbook, and you have policy of not using federal bonds, or if he failed a drug test and drug testing was part of the handbook, no called no showed etc. In this case fire him as layoff and pay TWC, and make him sign a 2 day severance agreement with 100% release of liability: wash your hands of it. You hired him with a record already.

You are better of firing him with other documentation than just because he was arrested. Technically if he discloses he has a record in the interview process as the hiring manager you can not use that as part of the determining in the interview process, due to federal bonding. Its only at offer you can decline because he didnt meet posted background requirements

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: The Dude Abides] #9002578 02/09/24 02:50 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Fire him! Next man up.

+1. Get rid of this idiot.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: The Dude Abides] #9002599 02/09/24 03:43 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Fire him! Next man up.

yep

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002604 02/09/24 03:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Working with and relying on druggies can harm you and others. Not paying attention to the needs of his co-workers and providing them safety is an overwhelming burden and should of over riding concern.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002607 02/09/24 03:54 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I can understand your stance on that if he did it. How would you feel about firing him if he didn’t do it?

Thanks for answering, by the way.

I wasn’t contemplating firing him before this occurred if that is what you are asking. He does his job. Not great, not horrible, but average. Whether he is actually guilty or not I don’t know. It seems pretty unlikely to rack up all those charges and run from the cops if your weren’t guilty. Also the fact that he has been to prison for drugs in the past makes it even more probable. He isn’t a young guy either he is in his 40s.

The way our judicial system works it could be years before he has a trial for this. If I reasonably believe he is guilty I can’t have him driving the company truck around and endangering everyone if he is using while I wait on a trial.

Agree with BoBO's advice above. When you fire him, don't give him a reason. Just tell him he's terminated. In Texas you can simple say it's not working out, period. Don't give him any recourse against you for unlawful termination in the event he beats the charges.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002609 02/09/24 03:59 PM
M
Mistereeee Online Happy
Woodsman
Online Happy
Woodsman
M
My brother employed a kid who had a buddy shoot him in his bulletproof vest from a few feet away with 9mm pistol. The video went viral, ended up on Tosh.O, all that, but the kid was let go long before that. Sometimes stupidity is enough reason.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: dkershen] #9002614 02/09/24 04:13 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by dkershen

When you fire him, don't give him a reason. Just tell him he's terminated. In Texas you can simple say it's not working out, period. Don't give him any recourse against you for unlawful termination in the event he beats the charges.

This.

Do not mention the arrest, drugs, or prison record. You are terminating him because it is not working out. If he pushes back or brings up he arrest, do not engage or even acknowledge that topic.

Document everything on your end. If you asked him about felony convictions or jail time, even if it was verbal, make written notes of the conversation. You told him drug use was not acceptable and ask him about it pre employment, he said he did not use hard drugs. Document that conversation. Document any other issues, no matter how minor. If his work is not par with rest of the your crew, document that also. If he showed up 5 min late for work, document that.
If he files an unemployment insurance claim, contest it. At that point you say he was fired for cause. "Lying about previous criminal history and a recent arrest for drugs" plus any work issues or tardiness.

He will be a month into the evading and drug bust arrest by that time he gets the denial from TEC. Chances are low that he will be willing to appeal when he gets denied.

If he does appeal being reminded for cause, arrest records support the evading arrest and drug charges. You also know that he did time for drugs and lied to you about it. There is a very good change the administrator hearing the case will deny his appeal.

Last edited by nak; 02/09/24 04:27 PM.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: nak] #9002652 02/09/24 05:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by nak
Originally Posted by dkershen

When you fire him, don't give him a reason. Just tell him he's terminated. In Texas you can simple say it's not working out, period. Don't give him any recourse against you for unlawful termination in the event he beats the charges.

This.

Do not mention the arrest, drugs, or prison record. You are terminating him because it is not working out. If he pushes back or brings up he arrest, do not engage or even acknowledge that topic.

Document everything on your end. If you asked him about felony convictions or jail time, even if it was verbal, make written notes of the conversation. You told him drug use was not acceptable and ask him about it pre employment, he said he did not use hard drugs. Document that conversation. Document any other issues, no matter how minor. If his work is not par with rest of the your crew, document that also. If he showed up 5 min late for work, document that.
If he files an unemployment insurance claim, contest it. At that point you say he was fired for cause. "Lying about previous criminal history and a recent arrest for drugs" plus any work issues or tardiness.

He will be a month into the evading and drug bust arrest by that time he gets the denial from TEC. Chances are low that he will be willing to appeal when he gets denied.

If he does appeal being reminded for cause, arrest records support the evading arrest and drug charges. You also know that he did time for drugs and lied to you about it. There is a very good change the administrator hearing the case will deny his appeal.

becareful with previous arrests and convictions, Unless the employee handbook mandates a pre-employment background check with defined dequalifcations, His prior history can be protected, Its irrelevant if not a pre-disqualifier

Again Sewer, not advising you legally but from an experienced “safe” option is to not to fire for cause, as Im sure your documentation trail for record of performance/issue is lacking. Lay him off, give a minimal severance w/release of liability, and pay out TWC.

As facts stand is sounds like you dont have enough documentation to argue and win with TWC, but with that said he may not challenge it either. Nor may he sue in civil court as it sounds like he has enough legal troubles, but he could..

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: S.A. hunter] #9002662 02/09/24 05:54 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Should you wait until he gets convicted?

That may take a year or more.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002675 02/09/24 06:10 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
3rd party companies are making money by publishing arrest information on the internet via their website (programmed so their website information are easily found at the top of google searches), then they effectively bribe (ransom) the arrested person to remove the information from their website. This happens to a lot of falsely attested people, and it does not get legally removed until officially expunged through the courts which can take year or more. During this time, innocent lives are ruined.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002684 02/09/24 06:16 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Just pay the guy to leave if you don't want him around. Ask him to resign and tell him that you will give a decent reference if another employer calls. If it cost you a month's pay to him then it is money well spent.

What exactly is the nature of the work you had him doing?

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: blkt2] #9002701 02/09/24 07:03 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Just pay the guy to leave if you don't want him around. Ask him to resign and tell him that you will give a decent reference if another employer calls. If it cost you a month's pay to him then it is money well spent.

You'd lie and give a decent reference why? Make him someone else's problem - would that make you "feel" better?

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Hudbone] #9002706 02/09/24 07:10 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

You'd lie and give a decent reference why? Make him someone else's problem - would that make you "feel" better?

Dont give a reference, you are liable, truth or not. Just confirm dates of employment.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Hudbone] #9002733 02/09/24 08:11 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

You haven't had employees before have you? You can't talk bad about someone if someone calls for a reference without digging a deep hole for yourself. You just say when they worked and that they left on the own in a case like this. It isn't lying becausethe mans work performance was acceptable by the words of the man that he works for. The op of this thread wants to let the man go because of something that happened outside of his work. The goal here is to get the guy gone without raising a stink. Sounds like he has enough problems without a soon to be ex employer trying to twist the screws on him.

Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9002735 02/09/24 08:15 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Dont give a reference, you are liable, truth or not. Just confirm dates of employment.

This. And I wouldn't give him a dime and I would fight any unemployment benefits. He made his bed...
I once terminated a lady on her B-day...a week before Christmas. BTW - it wasn't intentional, just worked out that way.

Last edited by Jimbo1; 02/09/24 08:25 PM.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Are arrest records public information? [Re: Sewer rat] #9002739 02/09/24 08:27 PM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
popcorn

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide