Forums46
Topics538,446
Posts9,737,189
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9033685 04/13/24 09:07 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I am interested. Drawers full yet?

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: skinnerback] #9033703 04/13/24 09:44 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
all I can say is you are very serious about your lease truck - lots of great ideas on here and well planned - which is no surprise

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9033759 04/13/24 11:34 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks guys. I’m excited about it and proud of it. A lot of it is I love it when a plan comes together.
As some have said/implied, this is not my first rodeo. This is the third generation and I’ve tweaked it over time and know what I want/need and don’t want/need.
Hud, tool boxes still empty at this point. We will soon see how much it sags under full load.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9033786 04/14/24 12:54 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Looks like you will be equipped for just about any contingencies.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9038423 04/25/24 04:30 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
The truck is pretty much finished. I weighed the whole thing and it is very heavy.
The factory truck weighs 5800#s(I weighed it and it matches specs.)
Now after all the added stuff I weighed it again at 8400#s.
I will add another 600# or so and then with me inside it will be up to about 9200# on an everyday basis.
The max its rated for is 8600#(GVWR.) Ive been told the ratings in reality have a pretty big cushion. So Ive added 3400# which is 600# over the max rating.
My mechanic looked at it and says it doesnt sit down much at all so we have not yet beefed up the suspension in any way. He said if I did he would put heavy duty shocks, likely air shocks, or maybe air bags or an extra spring.
It rides fine but it feels like its pulling a trailer at all times.
Consider its for ranch road type use 95% of time and tell me if yall think I am good to go or if the weight will be an issue.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by freerange; 04/25/24 04:37 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9038471 04/25/24 06:41 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
That thing is a war wagon...I like it, it'll be as handy as a pocket on a shirt. I'd leave it as is unless I felt like it needed something and like your guy...I do heavier shocks. I've had bags and hated them, seemed like as soon as they went on, the ride quality went down exponentially.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9038487 04/25/24 07:01 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’d add a leaf spring and heavier shocks.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9038526 04/25/24 08:19 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Stay outta the mud

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9038794 04/26/24 12:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
changing Free’s handle to mad max!

Now thats a ranch truck for sure

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9038811 04/26/24 01:05 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I too would get a spring shop to look at it.

'Reminds me of the guys that would come in and want to buy a service body. We'd have to tell them that they didn't have enough truck. They'd always reply "Oh, it's a HEAVY half-ton." grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9039075 04/26/24 10:20 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Do you leave it at your lease? Just curious -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: tlk] #9039083 04/26/24 10:58 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by tlk
Do you leave it at your lease? Just curious -

Yep, it stays out there all the time. Im not quite through tweaking it and then Ill soon take it that way.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: Creekrunner] #9039091 04/26/24 11:09 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I too would get a spring shop to look at it.

'Reminds me of the guys that would come in and want to buy a service body. We'd have to tell them that they didn't have enough truck. They'd always reply "Oh, it's a HEAVY half-ton." grin

As Ive said several times, Im concerned its not enough truck for the weight Ive put on it. Im beyond "all in" at this point so we will see.
It does "sit down" more than I thought.
Ill take all the advice I can get on how to help out the suspension.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9039127 04/27/24 01:00 AM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

Originally Posted by freerange
The truck is pretty much finished. I weighed the whole thing and it is very heavy.
I will add another 600# or so and then with me inside it will be up to about 9200# on an everyday basis.
The max its rated for is 8600#(GVWR.) Ive been told the ratings in reality have a pretty big cushion. So Ive added 3400# which is 600# over the max rating.
My mechanic looked at it and says it doesnt sit down much at all so we have not yet beefed up the suspension in any way. He said if I did he would put heavy duty shocks, likely air shocks, or maybe air bags or an extra spring.
Consider its for ranch road type use 95% of time and tell me if yall think I am good to go or if the weight will be an issue.

At least you have an open mind about it. So, here goes.
First, the 8600 lb rating does NOT have a cushion. That is the Maximum rating set by the manufacturer. Beefing up the suspension will not change that rating/carrying capacity. You have other things to consider. What about brakes? What about steering? I won't bore you with details here but if it were me, I would fill it with fuel and whatever else you will carry and head to a scale. Sit in the truck while its weighed. Front axle, rear axle and total. Then you have an accurate weight and will know what needs to go. If you run it on the hwy like this and are in an accident the first thing a lawyer is going to do is have the truck weighed. Then your A$$ is grass and he is the lawnmower!
I don't mean to come across as a know it all in this regard but that is a way of life.
Frio

Last edited by Frio Town; 04/27/24 01:09 AM.

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: Frio Town] #9039136 04/27/24 01:18 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Frio Town

Originally Posted by freerange

At least you have an open mind about it. So, here goes.
First, the 8600 lb rating does NOT have a cushion. That is the Maximum rating set by the manufacturer. Beefing up the suspension will not change that rating/carrying capacity. You have other things to consider. What about brakes? What about steering? I won't bore you with details here but if it were me, I would fill it with fuel and whatever else you will carry and head to a scale. Sit in the truck while its weighed. Front axle, rear axle and total. Then you have an accurate weight and will know what needs to go. If you run it on the hwy like this and are in an accident the first thing a lawyer is going to do is have the truck weighed. Then your A$$ is grass and he is the lawnmower!
I don't mean to come across as a know it all in this regard but that is a way of life.
Frio

I appreciate that, Frio. I have already weighed it, as I stated. For what its worth, its stays on the deer lease at all times so Im not too worried about the brakes and steering and lawyers. I am open minded so if anyone else wants to tell me I should worry then Im listening.
I know beefing up the suspension wont help the "rating" but Im hoping it will keep something from breaking or wearing out.
Legalities aside, whats the worse thing and likely thing that can happen if the weight is "too much"(serious question)?

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9039142 04/27/24 01:44 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Probably the worse thing would be frame failure. It could be gradual where you can see it getting worse over time or could be catastrophic and leave you at the back or the ranch wondering how in the heck you will get all that scrap metal off your property.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9039198 04/27/24 03:39 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Any additional consideration for tires? Is the transmission solid enough for the additional weight? Going to be quite a rig with lots of tools.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9039200 04/27/24 03:42 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Any additional consideration for tires? Is the transmission solid enough for the additional weight? Going to be quite a rig with lots of tools.

Last edited by Wilhunt; 04/27/24 03:42 AM. Reason: double post
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: Wilhunt] #9039367 04/27/24 04:28 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Wilhunt

Tires... they are quality and its on ranch road only and some gravel county roads. If the worse problem I have is a flat then Im not worried.
Transmission.... Ive been told this transmission is a very good one. This particular truck has been lightly used and cared for so I dont foresee an issue.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: Chopperdrvr] #9039377 04/27/24 04:38 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr
Probably the worse thing would be frame failure. It could be gradual where you can see it getting worse over time or could be catastrophic and leave you at the back or the ranch wondering how in the heck you will get all that scrap metal off your property.

What are the chances of frame failure?
What other mechanical issues can be caused by exceeding the payload capacity by 7%? Bearings, shocks, control arms, springs????

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9039526 04/28/24 01:19 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Your low speed application should be just fine. The most likely issue will be carbon buildup. Don’t borrow trouble.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: Hudbone] #9039773 04/28/24 04:53 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Your low speed application should be just fine. The most likely issue will be carbon buildup. Don’t borrow trouble.

Glad youre paying attention, Hud. Low speed for sure. Dont know anything about carbon build up-gotta talk to my mechanic about that before I take it out of civilization. Sounds like I need to put the petal to the metal sometimes.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9040071 04/29/24 01:46 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
adding air shocks or air bags will level it out but also could make the ride much harsher on rough roads. I would go with heavier spring(s) or progressive springs. with that said, if you are riding on the last spring (typically an overload spring), your ride will be pretty harsh as well.

for your use as a ranch truck only, I think you will be fine as long as you don't get in a rush over the rough spots.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9040492 04/30/24 03:06 AM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I always feel like your pretty level headed straight shooter, but hunting trucks must be your crazy
roflmao

I would t bat an eye at the weight… but like Hud said stay out of the mud

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: redchevy] #9040914 05/01/24 12:22 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by redchevy
I always feel like your pretty level headed straight shooter, but hunting trucks must be your crazy
roflmao

I would t bat an eye at the weight… but like Hud said stay out of the mud

Red, Im level headed about lots of stuff. But anything deer hunting is my crazy.
PMK, thanks for more good info.
PMK, Red, Hud, Judd and others seem to be saying I could do this or that but "you will probably be ok doing nothing" considering my ranch road use and low speed. I guess Im leaning that way but still scratching my head.

Last edited by freerange; 05/01/24 12:24 AM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide