Forums46
Topics538,481
Posts9,737,556
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8964957 12/01/23 12:08 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by freerange
its higher in the south then in the north.

Big different in STX vs Kansas vs Michigan

Free to answer your question even if your aren't supplementing with protein, there is still a large different in other supplemental influence like ag: alfalfa, soybeans etc

Assume no ag and assume Tx and Okla.

All my Oklahoma management is either panhandle(irrelevant) or North east’ish along KS border. I can tell you my biggest jumps were from 4.5 -5.5 as a % and most still grew most years into 7.5. 7.5 seemed to be more susceptible to big swings via mother nature, they also has least amount of growth and where more susceptible to EHD and natural mortality as they really started feeding pushed around.

Before I sold my part, we had dramatically increased buck herd age in general, but still kept about same densities. We really focused on doe harvest and 6.5 or better on bucks. We did start supplemental with bag protein last 2 years I had it but compared to me tilling under coastal and putting in Alfalfa and pulling corn/wheat and moving to soybeans its was minimal. Ag made carry bucks another 1-2 years much easier. With out it wouldnt be worth even thinking 7.5 and 6.5 might been marginal growth to even consider it

Curious Bobo. Is 7.5 where you most often see big mass blossom?
For us that is what when we see. The ones that throw the big mass do it most often then. That is what swayed us to let the high end bucks ride till 7.5. And like you mentioned, it is a calculated gamble. FWIW we hit on that gamble more than we miss. We do miss some but occasionally we hit big. We have also occasionally seen what Hud detailed. Average deer that get that kind of age because nobody will shoot them and then blow up out of nowhere at 7 or 8. Nobody here has mentioned the dirt, but it plays into it. Some geographic areas just grow them big and have for decades. Well before feeding protein was a thing there have been some areas that produced big deer year in and year out… there are more big ones today than there used to be. There are also more people letting the deer get some age on them.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8964984 12/01/23 01:03 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
its higher in the south then in the north.

Big different in STX vs Kansas vs Michigan

Free to answer your question even if your aren't supplementing with protein, there is still a large different in other supplemental influence like ag: alfalfa, soybeans etc

Assume no ag and assume Tx and Okla.

All my Oklahoma management is either panhandle(irrelevant) or North east’ish along KS border. I can tell you my biggest jumps were from 4.5 -5.5 as a % and most still grew most years into 7.5. 7.5 seemed to be more susceptible to big swings via mother nature, they also has least amount of growth and where more susceptible to EHD and natural mortality as they really started feeding pushed around.

Before I sold my part, we had dramatically increased buck herd age in general, but still kept about same densities. We really focused on doe harvest and 6.5 or better on bucks. We did start supplemental with bag protein last 2 years I had it but compared to me tilling under coastal and putting in Alfalfa and pulling corn/wheat and moving to soybeans its was minimal. Ag made carry bucks another 1-2 years much easier. With out it wouldnt be worth even thinking 7.5 and 6.5 might been marginal growth to even consider it

Curious Bobo. Is 7.5 where you most often see big mass blossom?
For us that is what when we see. The ones that throw the big mass do it most often then. That is what swayed us to let the high end bucks ride till 7.5. And like you mentioned, it is a calculated gamble. FWIW we hit on that gamble more than we miss. We do miss some but occasionally we hit big. We have also occasionally seen what Hud detailed. Average deer that get that kind of age because nobody will shoot them and then blow up out of nowhere at 7 or 8. Nobody here has mentioned the dirt, but it plays into it. Some geographic areas just grow them big and have for decades. Well before feeding protein was a thing there have been some areas that produced big deer year in and year out… there are more big ones today than there used to be. There are also more people letting the deer get some age on them.

from a score # no, 6.5 was. 7.5 was same mass usually but carried in to times more. Biggest difference was 7.5 was all the little added junk that showed up, but it seemed about 50% chance it didnt off set shorter times.

North of OKC Im not sure the winters make it worth trying to carry past 6.5. In fact north of Red with out heavy ag or supplemental , I wouldn't think about caring over unless he just lost a whole beam. I just dont think its worth the higher risk of natural death vs what you might gain

Friends in KS and Nebraska pretty much see the same thing as 6.5 is about tops. alot of them say they see more declines at 6.5, unless is just an exceptional moisture year. They all annuli deer like we do so while not exact its closer then just observational.

I agree on the dirt, also some areas just seem to get moisture at the right times, consistently , with stout dirt timely rains make for monster deer,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965038 12/01/23 02:17 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Ok so free set a few parameters and i still will say given the place you hunt, 7.5 is going to be about max score for “most” bucks. You will run the risk of natural mortality from rut past that point, you have way too many 4-5.5 yo bucks with great antlers that will challenge a great 8.5 yo and tear that older guy a new one, but also with the environmental stresses you see there, hot summers and colder winters, i would not be shocked if most bucks are dead by 8.5-9.5 at the latest. Most are probably dying a couple years before that. There will be the occasional non-rutting old buck that may show up older, but by then antlers will be lower than 7.5-8.5.

For your hunting Free, i would believe “most” bucks peak around 6.5-7.5. Not gonna see much after that in gain.
In a drought couple of year you could wait till 7.5, but in a time where mast and natural browse are good and plentiful for several years, 6.5 is probably going to be a good target age.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965057 12/01/23 02:37 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Bergmann's rule pretty much sets the tone,

STX growth at 7.5+ just isn't common placed future north you go. Some of those ranches are taking bucks with live weights at 240+ at 7.5. Thats heavy real heavy, and not happening with out supplemental

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965077 12/01/23 02:57 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yes, but bergmann isnt doing much from an antler standpoint, only body weight. A massive northern buck may have mediocre antlers because so much of its effort goes to making that big body able to sustain a winter that is harsh. Whereas a big body south texas/oklahoma deer isnt having to expend all that effort to growing body and can grow bigger antlers.

Having said that, i think most northern hunters would say they would love to let bucks get to 7.5 or so, but so few actually can make it that ling due to a number of factors up there.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8965084 12/01/23 03:07 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Yes, but bergmann isnt doing much from an antler standpoint, only body weight. A massive northern buck may have mediocre antlers because so much of its effort goes to making that big body able to sustain a winter that is harsh. Whereas a big body south texas/oklahoma deer isnt having to expend all that effort to growing body and can grow bigger antlers.

Having said that, i think most northern hunters would say they would love to let bucks get to 7.5 or so, but so few actually can make it that ling due to a number of factors up there.

bigger body weights for harsher winters, equals bigger horns, Also Northern deer hit maturity quicker. Hanson was 3.5/4.5 year old buck, Google a B&C map and its pretty obvious where the big deer come from.

The STX 245lb+ native deer are product of supplemental feeding. Big healthy unstressed deer just live longer. The whole 7.5 -8.5 plus hits max antlers is a straight product of nutrition. But That nutrition level to get a STX buck to 245 is just normal for a Corn belt/midwest deer. Difference is STX have a much less stressful winter

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965093 12/01/23 03:24 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
BOBO i respect ypur opinion, but i disagree that bigger bodies automatically means bigger antlers. The B&C belt is there because of the abundant good soil which creates abundant browse and good ag production coupled with winters that are not overly harsh. Bucks grow bog bodies due to the abundant nutrition, arent severely stressed by nature, and if left to grow older can get big antlers, but if you continue north in the WT deer range, the antler size reduces as the effort to survive outweighs antler expression. Sure you can find some big WT in canada and montana/minnesota/up michigan/maine, but these are not as common as deer dont typically grow old and grow big antlers because so much effort is expended just to stay alive, despite big bodies.

This is getting beyond the OP question. but still good discussion.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965116 12/01/23 04:49 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Good discussion. Appreciate all the thoughts. Hunted hard all day and watched cowboys hard all night. I’ll try to chime in tomorrow but I’ll be hunting hard for a 7yr old buck.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8965117 12/01/23 04:53 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
BOBO i respect ypur opinion, but i disagree that bigger bodies automatically means bigger antlers. The B&C belt is there because of the abundant good soil which creates abundant browse and good ag production coupled with winters that are not overly harsh. Bucks grow bog bodies due to the abundant nutrition, arent severely stressed by nature, and if left to grow older can get big antlers, but if you continue north in the WT deer range, the antler size reduces as the effort to survive outweighs antler expression. Sure you can find some big WT in canada and montana/minnesota/up michigan/maine, but these are not as common as deer dont typically grow old and grow big antlers because so much effort is expended just to stay alive, despite big bodies.

This is getting beyond the OP question. but still good discussion.

its not automatic, still have genetics, sustainable habitat, thermal cover, age etc, but you can argue with record books…. Western front of CO is pretty definitive, Maine VS Florida pretty definitive . Bigger bodies bigger antlers,

[Linked Image]

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965119 12/01/23 04:55 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Good discussion. Appreciate all the thoughts. Hunted hard all day and watched cowboys hard all night. I’ll try to chime in tomorrow but I’ll be hunting hard for a 7yr old buck.

good luck, Slap the horns and stir it up a little

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965141 12/01/23 11:37 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Y’all are going down a bunny trail comparing apples to oranges. There are 16 subspecies of whitetail in North America…
Freerange, keep that in mind when you consider what you want to try.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965171 12/01/23 12:35 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
We feed protein and cottonseed. I have said for years that supplemental feeding is just that. Important in drought years and not so much in good rain years. If we had the irrigation water available we would much prefer food plots.

We also cull does hard in years with good fawn survival and bucks that show no potential. We have water pilas all over the ranch which IMO is huge during drought.

We have seen and tracked bucks that have grown to 10 years old and up that still had great racks. We have had others that dipped at age 6 and then come back strong at 7-8 so of course it varies.

If we are unsure of a buck's age then we pass on it to see what happens the following year.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8965199 12/01/23 01:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Y’all are going down a bunny trail comparing apples to oranges. There are 16 subspecies of whitetail in North America…

of the 16 how many have re-stocking DNA from STX and KS smile

I know bigger bunny trail.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: TexFlip] #8965221 12/01/23 01:54 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TexFlip
THIS article follows a buck from 1.5 until his natural death at 12.5. Good data.

Interesting progression. I find it odd that the 3 YO and 7YO picture are the same. In every set of pictures except 11 YO the white band goes all around the muzzle behind his nose but on 11 YO it’s only on the sides. I also think without ear tags or obvious body markings it’s really hard to look at a clean spike and identify the next set of antlers.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8965266 12/01/23 02:53 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I’m clueless about most. In my part of texas two sub sets of deer were re-introduced in the 1960’s. One group was from Minnesota. For the most part they were ill adapted to Texas and perished. The other group was from the king ranch and they flourished. There is actually a local landmark that still carries the moniker “buck hill” where the releases occurred. The deer we have where I hunt are genetically south texas deer.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965274 12/01/23 03:04 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Really appreciate the good feedback guys. Hunting hard myself so maybe I’ll address some specific comments later.
For now just keep it coming whether it’s down a rabbit hole or not.
On subspecies, I will say our deer in SC Okla are decent size but not like what I know about some other parts of Okla or Tx panhandle or Kansas. They do often have the reddish tint/accent.
We aren’t super far from Hagerman, so there’s that….,
For this discussion I’m not assuming our deer are real different from NTx deer and our climate is not so different than NTx.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8965280 12/01/23 03:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I’m clueless about most. In my part of texas two sub sets of deer were re-introduced in the 1960’s. One group was from Minnesota. For the most part they were ill adapted to Texas and perished. The other group was from the king ranch and they flourished. There is actually a local landmark that still carries the moniker “buck hill” where the releases occurred. The deer we have where I hunt are genetically south texas deer.

I read there is only one pure DNA herd left. King.

think I read lufkin area has had a Kansas release also.. The deer I saw many years ago on a charity hunt at Boggy sure had the red’ish Kansas coat

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965294 12/01/23 03:39 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Look at a map of the US cropland, it closely, not perfectly, mirrors the B&C map BOBO posted up.

I still stand by the statement the B&C band is more due to natural browse and ag due to excellent soils than simply big bodies. Otherwise, we would see the B&C map as a increasingly northern thing, but it isn't, it is mostly a midwestern thing. I wish I could enlarge that map BOBO posted, everytime I try on my computer it just makes the text bigger but the pic stays the same size. And I can not find it online in a enlargeable format. I would love to to see some info abot the outliers in northern minnesota and northern maine....Other than those two areas, the B&C band follows the ag crop land almost perfectly, except in areas where winters are harsh.

Anyway, great discussions and the subspecies issue brings a whole lot more to the table. That is where I know my limits and don't try to discuss much.

Attached Files cropland us.png
Last edited by Texas buckeye; 12/01/23 03:44 PM.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965295 12/01/23 03:40 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
As the crow flies I am less than 30 miles from boggy slough.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8965301 12/01/23 03:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
As the crow flies I am less than 30 miles from boggy slough.

I figured since you were in Timber country. It was a cool place. Interesting history and management. I learned a lot about tree farming in that one week. Fun times

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965308 12/01/23 03:55 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I thought that the bucks in South Texas typically grew their best antlers at age seven while Hill Country bucks at age 6. I think the reason for this is the difference in browse. South Texas is weed country, especially winter and early spring which is tender and easy on their teeth. Unfortunately, we don't grow the tender natural vegetation as well in the Hill Country which causes Hill Country buck's teeth to wear out sooner.
Just my two cents...
Adios,
Gary

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: gary roberson] #8965334 12/01/23 04:34 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by gary roberson
I thought that the bucks in South Texas typically grew their best antlers at age seven while Hill Country bucks at age 6. I think the reason for this is the difference in browse. South Texas is weed country, especially winter and early spring which is tender and easy on their teeth. Unfortunately, we don't grow the tender natural vegetation as well in the Hill Country which causes Hill Country buck's teeth to wear out sooner.
Just my two cents...
Adios,
Gary

Probably some truth to that. Also STx just has more country being managed more intensively for Trophies including more committed supplemental feeding. Most places around the state never see a 7 yr old so they have no idea what growth may be. They also are not willing(or able, depending on situation) to do what it takes to get them to that age.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965349 12/01/23 05:15 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Thanks Hud. Do you have pics of DD before 7yr?

Know the deer but wouldn’t have kept one of just him.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965595 12/01/23 10:32 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by gary roberson
Just my two cents...
Adios,
Gary

Probably some truth to that. Also STx just has more country being managed more intensively for Trophies including more committed supplemental feeding. Most places around the state never see a 7 yr old so they have no idea what growth may be. They also are not willing(or able, depending on situation) to do what it takes to get them to that age.

I love hunting south texas but I doubt it would produce anywhere near the number or size body or antler deer it does if it was t intensively managed.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965652 12/01/23 11:48 PM
E
ElkOne Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
71/2 years young up

ElkOne
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide