Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs #8931904 10/08/23 11:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Vortex let me down for the last time.

Looking to move into something else. I know I should just bite the bullet and get Swarovski but many their rangefinding binos are pricey.

Anyone have any experience with Burris or Leica Geovids?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8932245 10/09/23 03:25 PM
DustyArmadillo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
No experience with the two you mentioned

Was at Scheel’s last night and looked through every pair they had (almost)

The leupold Alpine bx-2 10x50 looked on par with the Leica and Swaro stuff for 4x the price

That’s likely going to be my next pair. (269$)

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8932250 10/09/23 03:31 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I had two pair of Leica LRF binos fail. Switched to the Zeiss LRF binos, which I use year round. They are five years old and running fine.

The Swaro LRF binos are excellent too, but I found the Zeiss more comfortable in hand than the Swaros.

There are positives reports on GPO lrf binos, but I have no experience with them. So not vouching for them, just passing it along.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8932355 10/09/23 07:20 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've had a pair of Geovid 2200's (model 403) that wouldn't range past 200 yds when temps got near freezing. A couple of years ago attempted to like the 3200.com's but Leica's piss poor CS couldn't provide one single pair that worked as advertised. Tried the Sig 3000BDX and the laser/reticle was so far out of alignment it was unusable so I sent it back. Bought a Vortex Fury AB before last hunting season and it ranges 1000% better than an Leica I owned, has the AB ballistic readouts as far as you can range (almost 4000 yds so far), and has optics that will get you well past legal shooting light, easily. IMO/IME with any hunting electronics you'll eventually need customer service which is where Vortex has no peer, and Leica still sucks IME anyway.

I used my friend's pair of GPO rf/binos in 10x50 during last mule deer season and IMO they are the best combo of optics and RF performance of anything made, and they won't break the bank. Not a chance in hades' I'll spend $3000+ on a Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss anything.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8932388 10/09/23 08:11 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I bought a pair of Leica Geovid Pros this summer and just used them for a 10 day hunt. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Laser worked well and the glass was excellent. The ballistics calculator is wonderful and has worked well in target practice. I haven't needed it on a game animal yet. I'm happy with the purchase.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8932389 10/09/23 08:12 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Still no complaints with my vortex. Like jgraider said I expect to have issue with any rangefinder I own eventually so I bought one I trusted as much as any of the others with no questions asked warranty.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8932494 10/09/23 10:57 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
I had the first gen Leica Geovids that ergonomically sucked, but at the time they were they only game in town with range finding binos. They performed flawlessly. When the 2200 B’s were needing clearanced for the 3200s, I sold the first gen and upgraded. It’s the one piece of hunting equipment I’ve never regretted spending the money on. Both have performed flawlessly for me.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8933628 10/11/23 02:57 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If I just needed only the rangefinder (no ballistic app) I would go with the Burris.
Japanese glass with great warranty and a good price.
Just keep in mind all these binoculars with electronics have from 3-5 year warranty EXCEPT Burris and Vortex that I am aware of. Choose wisely.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8933953 10/11/23 10:58 PM
P
puma guy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Three guys on our lease hunted with Leica binocs. I used top of the line B&L 10x42's that come very close to the performance of theirs. In fact I loaned my spare pair of 7x35 B&L to a member when he left his at home and he was very pleased. I have no experience with Vortex.

Life Member - NRA, TSRA and 100 Club
Member TxCHL Forum, Houston Gun Forum,
Marlin Owners Forum
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8933974 10/11/23 11:44 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Electronics are consumables. They will eventually fail. Swaro (non rangefinding) binocs are 10 yrs old and likely will never fail, just like most any good quality binocular. However, I am already on my 4th set of rangefinders. I would much rather have to buy rangefinders than rangefinding binos each time they fail.

But to answer your question Swaro, Zeiss, Leica. Sig isn’t reliable enough and they don’t have a lifetime warranty. Vortex…..well you already know. Who cares if the warranty is lifetime, when it fails in the field on a moose of a lifetime, it’s not worth having.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: Theringworm] #8933989 10/12/23 12:15 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Theringworm
Electronics are consumables. They will eventually fail. Swaro (non rangefinding) binocs are 10 yrs old and likely will never fail, just like most any good quality binocular. However, I am already on my 4th set of rangefinders. I would much rather have to buy rangefinders than rangefinding binos each time they fail.

But to answer your question Swaro, Zeiss, Leica. Sig isn’t reliable enough and they don’t have a lifetime warranty. Vortex…..well you already know. Who cares if the warranty is lifetime, when it fails in the field on a moose of a lifetime, it’s not worth having.

I get your drift, but Vortex will send you another one, free, forever, and in your example at least you still have a binocular to use even if the electronics fail (which would suck, I agree).

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8934250 10/12/23 12:54 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I think I’m fine going back to a standard pair of binos with a handheld rangefinder for bowhunting.

I’ve got one more guided travel trip lined up for next year and then my hunting lifestyle will change for the next several years…kids going to college, all that stuff.

Unless I draw a tag out west I’ll be staying closer to home and not flying all over God’s earth.

Period of change I’m in; buddies selling their big ranches, Mule deer lease is gone, public land out west is crowded….will probably be staying closer to home trying to poke holes in hill country deer with my recurve and may take a trip every so often to shoot an aoudad.

Still, my blessings are too numerous to count and I’ve been extremely fortunate to have done the things I’ve done before I hit the age of 40

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8934259 10/12/23 01:45 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
ZEISS 10x42 HD's

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8934629 10/13/23 01:50 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've owned two Geovids and still own one.

The first was 10X42 and a 1000 yard laser. It did everything I asked of it. And superb glass. Really, really superb glass. I just needed a longer reaching laser.

The second is Geovid 3200.com. Same superb glass, and a longer reaching laser. I have hit more than 2200 yards, but can't remember exactly what I was trying to hit.

Leica and Swarovski were my only two considerations. Both with excellent glass. But the Swarovski has a large reticle and does not compensate for angle. That lead me to Leica.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8939351 10/19/23 11:06 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
And another jumps off the bandwagon. Good choice.

I have the Geovids and they are a joy to use and look through. Haven’t put them through the paces on a hunt, just yet, but their initial performance is impressive.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: J.G.] #8939900 10/20/23 03:32 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by J.G.

The first was 10X42 and a 1000 yard laser. It did everything I asked of it. And superb glass. Really, really superb glass. I just needed a longer reaching laser.

The second is Geovid 3200.com. Same superb glass, and a longer reaching laser. I have hit more than 2200 yards, but can't remember exactly what I was trying to hit.

Leica and Swarovski were my only two considerations. Both with excellent glass. But the Swarovski has a large reticle and does not compensate for angle. That lead me to Leica.

I’ve never had anyone say a bad word about either Leica or Swavroski

Gonna give the Geovid 3200’s a look

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8940583 10/21/23 04:55 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by J.G.

I’ve never had anyone say a bad word about either Leica or Swavroski

Gonna give the Geovid 3200’s a look

The 3200s, like all 10x40 RF combos, are too big and bulky for me. They are very popular so maybe its just me. Depending how you use them maybe the bulk is ok. I suggest you at least consider the Leica Pro 10 x "32". Much more compact and I dont feel you give up much. As Im sure you know, you can go back and look at many old threads on this subject.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8940657 10/21/23 06:58 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I sure hope you have a lot better luck with your 3200's than I did.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8941160 10/22/23 04:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
if you dont need ballastics

lecia geo R and GPO range guide are great buy

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8941233 10/22/23 06:09 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
if you dont need ballastics

lecia geo R and GPO range guide are great buy

I didnt need ballistics and I dont think anyone told me about those. They are quality RF binos, just no ballistics....?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8941283 10/22/23 07:44 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The GPO is the best combo of optics and RF performance made, IMO.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: Jgraider] #8941321 10/22/23 08:47 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Jgraider

I get your drift, but Vortex will send you another one, free, forever, and in your example at least you still have a binocular to use even if the electronics fail (which would suck, I agree).

^^^^^

I can assure you it isn't 'free'.

You paid for their 'cost' to manufacture/replace another Scope/Bino/Rangfinder in the retail cost of your first purchased item.

No company (with as many returns as Vortex) can afford to replace their products for 'free'. There are plenty of consumers out there gullible enough to be sucked into buying their products on that 'warranty' promise however.

IF Vortex would just spend the money to put better quality into their products to begin with, then offer a LIMITED lifetime warranty, everyone would be better off.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: flintknapper] #8941356 10/22/23 09:30 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by Jgraider

^^^^^

I can assure you it isn't 'free'.

You paid for their 'cost' to manufacture/replace another Scope/Bino/Rangfinder in the retail cost of your first purchased item.

No company (with as many returns as Vortex) can afford to replace their products for 'free'. There are plenty of consumers out there gullible enough to be sucked into buying their products on that 'warranty' promise however.

IF Vortex would just spend the money to put better quality into their products to begin with, then offer a LIMITED lifetime warranty, everyone would be better off.

I'm well aware of that fact, but $1100 was a small price to pay for an optically much better than average bino/rf unit with a killer AB program and RF performance. A lifetime, bino/rf combo got my attention, and if it doesn't get yours that's great by me as I couldn't care less what you use. It will be updated over the years as well. If you have electronics, you will use the warranty no matter who "makes" it.

Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: txtrophy85] #8941363 10/22/23 09:36 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You guys do what you want, but I still prefer to have the Binoculars and the RF separate. Good binoculars will last forever or until somebody says you need to upgrade. I’m on my third RF. Leica binocs and a Leica RF.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Done with Vortex-need RF bino recs [Re: 603Country] #8941368 10/22/23 09:40 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by 603Country
You guys do what you want, but I still prefer to have the Binoculars and the RF separate. Good binoculars will last forever or until somebody says you need to upgrade. I’m on my third RF. Leica binocs and a Leica RF.

I have that combo as well, and you have proven my previous point......with electronics, which are all Chinese no matter who's logo is on them, will crap out and need service eventually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide