Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Decoys #8862616 06/04/23 08:18 PM
2flyfish4 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
No, I could care less about what decoys you hunt over.

This topic is about decoy carvers and if anyone here collects decoys.

I'm having Michael Braun carve me an eider drake in memory of my seasduck hunt to the northeast earlier this year. I'm also looking at Dathan Skelton and Luke Castillo's work to have them carve me up something.

There was a time a wanted a mount of every duck species. Now mounts don't really mean anything to me. You can't sell them when you get tired of them, and really they will probably be the first thing my family throws out when I'm dead. I'm thinking the decoys may hold their value and even increase in value depending on the carver.

Anyone here collects decoys or do their own carving? What carvers do you like?

Last edited by 2flyfish4; 06/04/23 08:19 PM.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Decoys [Re: 2flyfish4] #8862662 06/04/23 09:28 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
They're supposed to have carvers at the Duck deal in Little Rock next month. You might want find a way to get over there. It's a Delta WF deal.
https://deltawaterfowl.org/delta-wa...coy-carving-and-painting-demonstrations/

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Decoys [Re: 2flyfish4] #8862903 06/05/23 09:11 AM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
No, I could care less about what decoys you hunt over.

This topic is about decoy carvers and if anyone here collects decoys.

I'm having Michael Braun carve me an eider drake in memory of my seasduck hunt to the northeast earlier this year. I'm also looking at Dathan Skelton and Luke Castillo's work to have them carve me up something.

There was a time a wanted a mount of every duck species. Now mounts don't really mean anything to me. You can't sell them when you get tired of them, and really they will probably be the first thing my family throws out when I'm dead. I'm thinking the decoys may hold their value and even increase in value depending on the carver.

Anyone here collects decoys or do their own carving? What carvers do you like?

Probably going to be my next run in collecting. I don’t know a terrible amount but it seems duck decoys hold their value like duck calls, or even better maybe. I’m starting with a big big blue book called “great book of wildlife decoys” and have been told you can start piecing together from there. I have stumbled across some websites as well dedicated to waterfowl decoys and have auctions once every 3-4 months. I’ll see if I can dig it up and I’ll post here. But that website had a wealth of knowledge.

But you’re right…. When the economy sucks, and the dollar is weak, investing in materialistic values can be worthwhile. For duck hunters, calls and decoys might be a good idea. I bet in 30 years, I’ll have a small retirement on my shelf. But you have to be patient and find the deals

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide