T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Sneaky
I’d love to shoot an elephant. I wouldn’t enjoy parting with that kind of money, though.

I think it would be more of an adventure with a bow but I have a feeling as soon as a send an arrow they are laying down 2 kill shots.

I have all of Alaska with a bow before I can worry about Africa

Tink Nathan (Tink's 69) is the only person I've ever met that has killed an elephant with a bow.

He’s also the only person to ever call me white trash for posting a picture of a bow killed animal on Facebook that had a little blood from the impact wound.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #8849406 05/09/23 03:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I’d love to shoot an elephant. I wouldn’t enjoy parting with that kind of money, though.

I think it would be more of an adventure with a bow but I have a feeling as soon as a send an arrow they are laying down 2 kill shots.

Tink Nathan (Tink's 69) is the only person I've ever met that has killed an elephant with a bow.

He’s also the only person to ever call me white trash for posting a picture of a bow killed animal on Facebook that had a little blood from the impact wound.

he is special

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: J.G.] #8849411 05/09/23 03:30 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by GusWayne
When God flooded the earth, did the elephants, giraffes and lions all get off the Ark in Africa?

Meanwhile, the whitetail, mule deer and elk got off here?

I still wonder why

The story of the Ark is one that is commonly referenced by skeptics to try and debunk the Bible. I read an article some time ago that makes very good sense and it’s an idea that I get behind:

Imagine we are back in the day of Noah. No internet, TV, news, nor widespread travel. You’re limited to what you have seen and know to be true your “world” exists of a relatively small area compared to todays time. Upon Gods instruction, Noah builds an Ark and fills it with two of every animal….two of every animal that exists IN NOAH’S WORLD. So we may only be talking about a dozen or so species. God floods the “world” ( may have been very localized flooding relative to the earth) and 40 days later the rain stops, water starts to recede and he eventually makes landfall.

To me, the takeaway was Noah and his family gathered up animals because God told them to, it was an act of obedience. God didn’t depend on Noah to repopulate the earth with animals. I have no doubt the story of the Ark is factual, but I don’t believe it’s in the same frame that is commonly held by most folks who reference the story.

Just like Adam & Eve….God said they were the first people on Earth, but he didn’t say he stopped making people after those first two. After Cain killed Able, he went into thr land of Nod and found a wife. She came from somewhere….

Where was NOT flooded?

On multiple continents there is fossilized sea life way above today's sea level.

I brought back a sea shell from Sanderson, TX. 2789' ASL.

And my fossil was collected another 300' up.

Not really suprising given the amount of change the planet has gone through over million and millions of year.

Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8849412 05/09/23 03:32 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B

he is special

But is he taller than the lug nuts on a truck???? grin

Re: Elephant hunting [Re: BarneyWho] #8849465 05/09/23 05:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BarneyWho

he is special

But is he taller than the lug nuts on a truck???? grin

i actually dont think he is

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8849479 05/09/23 06:12 PM
218 Bee Offline
Tracker
Tracker

(Zips up flame-retardant suit...)

An observation, if I may...

With all deference to Mr. Nathan's abilities with a bow, sticking an elephant with an arrow is not, in my opinion, the apogee of our sport. The very act of hunting dangerous game acknowledges the very real possibility that things can and do go wrong on occasion...and that, when the worst happens, SOMEBODY is gonna have to shoot their way out of the situation. If an arrowed jumbo clears off after the shot, the PH only has to decide whether to shoot or not. If the elephant decides to make a fight of it, the PH now HAS to shoot (and shoot well) since, I suspect, any arrow is a bit light for stopping a charge. To be sure, it's the PH's responsibility to deal with situations like this should they develop, but it's the CLIENT's responsibility to hold up his end and use equipment up to the task at hand. I congratulate Mr. Nathan on his elephant regardless; it was taken legally and he paid for the privilege. It's just not my cup of tea...

I'm of the belief that proper elephant tools begin with 400 grains @ 2400 fps and go up from there.

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8849507 05/09/23 07:08 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
There’s also a school of thought that believes the most elegant and sporting way to shoot an elephant is with one of the brain shots, and that all the other options should be used only by necessity. I saw a video where someone killed an elephant with a crossbow, and was less than impressed with the process. As always, YMMV; I don’t tell others how they should hunt, as long as they keep things legal.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8849535 05/09/23 08:14 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Wonder how many here have actually shot an elephant?

Re: Elephant hunting [Re: fishdfly] #8849554 05/09/23 08:39 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by fishdfly
Wonder how many here have actually shot an elephant?

I’ll bet there are more here than you’d expect.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8849561 05/09/23 08:56 PM
Creekrunner Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Haven't shot one, but I was certainly thinking about it back when they were way less money. I have been crouched down with the crew when a cow passed within about 10 yards. That's a rush like no other.

We were in a vehicle once and were chased by a very bitchy cow. She ran up behind us in the road. We stopped and started about 5 times. The PH was laughing all the time. I was looking in my side mirror and he would ask me "Is she coming"? and I'd yell "Yes!" and we'd roar off again. The trackers in the high seat in the bed were not laughing. He commented afterward that she'd have to be dealt with eventually. He was killed by a bull in musth a few years later. He stayed at my house a few times in between SCI and DSC shows. 'Think of him often. He taught me more about hunting than any other man.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8849678 05/09/23 11:46 PM
218 Bee Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Been there, done that.

Many folks won't believe the amount of shoe leather that gets worn out chasing elephant. Since elephant walk WAY faster than we do, there's much truth to the old saying that "You kill an elephant with your legs".

[Linked Image]

At least the shooting part is easy...with a target that big, right? And they can't POSSIBLY hide...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And when the shooting is over, the REAL work starts. Yeah, you'll want to bring a whetstone...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8850103 05/10/23 06:17 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Great pictures!

Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8850118 05/10/23 06:50 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
i once shot an elephant in my pajamas.

how he got in my pajamas, I'll never know

bada boom bolt

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8850169 05/10/23 08:56 PM
Creekrunner Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide