Forum Stats
54022 Members
41 Forums
398168 Topics
5125366 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#883503 - 09/02/09 10:19 PM Pig Snare???
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Brownsboro, Texas
Alright, So i'm going to Madisonville where we have some land and going to camp, on this land there is a creek with abundant hogs, I was thinking about making some sort of a snare....never done it...never known anyone to do it, but saw Bear Grylls try it on Man Vs. Wild and thought that would be a cool pic in the photo section to see a snared pig....anyone ever done this, and/or have ideas on how to bes snare a short legged porker???

#883520 - 09/02/09 10:26 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: rstewlandman]
catchrcall Offline

Tracker

Loc: Kempner, tx
I've seen pictures but never done it on a hog. I've snared plenty of coyotes etc. The thing about snares is that they do not discriminate on what they catch, so you could wind up with a cow or deer or whatever else instead of a hog, and with the size of cable it would take to hold a hog you're probably gonna do some damage if ol Bossy gets a leg through your loop and your still gonna have to figure out how to let a nontarget species go if you catch one. I'm not anti snare at all, I like them under the right conditions but ya gotta know what's in your area before you set one out.

#883528 - 09/02/09 10:28 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: catchrcall]
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker

didn't even think about a deer....i though on the cows i can move them to the other pasture no prob but a deer is another issue....hmmmmmm

#883567 - 09/02/09 10:43 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: rstewlandman]
catchrcall Offline

Tracker

Loc: Kempner, tx
if you set the snare low enough, you can lean a stick a little bigger than a pool cue over it to make deer jump it or go around it. It works pretty well with coyote snares, but a hog snare is gonna have to be bigger and higher off the ground so it probably won't work near as well and the risk will still be pretty high i would think. you can add stops to your snare cable so the loop only closes so far,so if you catch a leg the deer can still step out, (not gonna go much for a neck catch though) and also use a relaxing lock to make the snare less likely to be fatal, but then i guess you run the risk of loosing your hog anyway. hopefully somebody that has tried it will chime in here. It's an interesting topic.

#883619 - 09/02/09 11:26 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: catchrcall]
bassackwards dav Offline
Tracker

Loc: EML azle tx
Me and my son discussed the same thing tonite. The place he hunts on the brazos in parker co is run over by them. This yr it seems like there population has just exploded. They have taken exceptional bucks the last three yrs and always have good deer on the cams. But this yr the feeders are over run with hogs and pigs.We cannot get them in a trap. Dangist thing Ive seen two yrs with traps and nothin. Ive traped hogs for yrs in other areas and never seen them this trap savy. Does anyone have any Ideas. Didnt mean to high jack the thread but we are thinking snares also.

#883643 - 09/02/09 11:46 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: bassackwards dav]
craige Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Cuthand,TX
Originally Posted By: bassackwards dav
Me and my son discussed the same thing tonite. The place he hunts on the brazos in parker co is run over by them. This yr it seems like there population has just exploded. They have taken exceptional bucks the last three yrs and always have good deer on the cams. But this yr the feeders are over run with hogs and pigs.We cannot get them in a trap. Dangist thing Ive seen two yrs with traps and nothin. Ive traped hogs for yrs in other areas and never seen them this trap savy. Does anyone have any Ideas. Didnt mean to high jack the thread but we are thinking snares also.

Make a big circle pen out of cattel panels. Go around trees, and everything. That way they don't feel like they are going into a trap, it has worked for me in the past. Also try some diesel, and/or rasberry KoolAid with corn. You can try some sweet feed, for cows. Worked last week, when nothing else wood. I guess they were use to the 'ol corn trick.

#883645 - 09/02/09 11:48 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: rstewlandman]
craige Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Cuthand,TX
Originally Posted By: rstewlandman
didn't even think about a deer....i though on the cows i can move them to the other pasture no prob but a deer is another issue....hmmmmmm

You could always throw some diesel around, or a bar of soap. Deer will stay clear, but the hogs don't mind.

#883867 - 09/03/09 08:49 AM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: craige]
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker

yea i thought about the diesel last night, the good news is we will be on the farm the whole time the snare would be set.....

Now can anyone give me an explanation on how to make a good snare, I'm willing to take a rish on the deer with diesel plus I dont think the deer will find it as fast as the pigs and I'll be there to try and set it free but with the Diesel i should be OK....

now to learn to make a snare

#883885 - 09/03/09 08:59 AM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: rstewlandman]
passthru Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
I've seen snares set for coyotes with deer carcasses in them on several fence lines. Usually fawns. Don't do it. Shoot the hogs or use live traps.

NRA Life Member
http://www.constrictorrods.com/
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#884398 - 09/03/09 01:37 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: passthru]
poisonivie Offline

Extreme Tracker

Loc: Bridgeport, Tx
If you get a deer in it and try to set it loose, it will kill you. Couple of us tried to get one out of a fence once. Not pretty.

#884593 - 09/03/09 03:28 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: poisonivie]
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker

yea, i'm thinkin i may just stick to the spotlight

#885168 - 09/03/09 08:45 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: rstewlandman]
justhuntin Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Saginaw, Texas
I am a wildlife biologist for the state and federal govt. we are the govt trappers. We snare ALOT of hogs with snares (trail and fence) we also trap alot. Sanrinf is not that hard if you now where to set them. A fence is easy but if you do not want to catch a deer look for hair on the fence or tracks and do not set them, but there is always a possibility that you will catch one. Get a good pair of cable cutters if you do and cut the snare off. Get a large 1/4" cable snare you can get them at RP Outdoors.com Good people. If you have questions I can go into more depth for you maybe even show you that is my job. robstal1@yahoo.com Trapping is our job and so is all wildlife control

#885208 - 09/03/09 09:08 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: justhuntin]
5Redman8 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Forney TX
Snares sure seem like a sorry way to die no matter what kind of animal you are targeting.

JMO

#885216 - 09/03/09 09:12 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: justhuntin]
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker

thanks justhuntin, I really do not want to damage my deer herd, how often do you snare deer when going after hogs and have you killed any deer in the process? I think this weekend I will do some night hunting but will check the fence lines for hog crossings, I think i know of one off the top of my head...but will see if it is still active, what kind of time frame do i need to check the snares in to prevent death to deer? This is interesting as we don't see it done a lot....maybe I just haven't noticed...that is a sweet job too

#885320 - 09/03/09 09:54 PM Re: Pig Snare??? [Re: rstewlandman]
o2bwest Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Menard TX
My only experience with hogs and snares has been shooting hogs that have broken snares around their snouts. You would be amazed how long a hog can live with a snare around his nose. I have killed several hogs with bone grown around the cable where it has dug into their jaw. Even the big hog snares break, or if you don't set your drag up correctly they will tare your fence up. I would suggest a live trap of some sort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide