4974946 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#876496 - 08/30/09 04:57 PM Replacing a floor in a travel trailer
Trust Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Azle
Anyone have any experience in replacing the floor in a travel trailer? I am being given a travel trailer that has 2 soft spots in the floor and was wondering how much work is involved. It also appears that the door will need to be replaced as well and the framing around it. Just making sure this "free" trailer is not going to cost me what a nice used 1 would after all the repairs.

Also, anyone know a place to get a set 4 six lug trailer rims for cheap?

#876641 - 08/30/09 06:25 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: Trust]
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Houston, TX
i need to know this to, i will be following this thread, i planned on just going over my original floor with plywood then screwing it down and putting thos stick tile on it, but i will see what people have to say on this and ill go from there. good luck with that

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

#876646 - 08/30/09 06:28 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: DSST_Construction]
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Gonzales / Crysral City
I'm reasonablly sure thats about all you can do, but I'm not a carpenter either.

#876648 - 08/30/09 06:30 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: DSST_Construction]
Brandon A Offline

THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda/Gonzales/Victoria
well anything in a travel trailer will cost u 3 times more than it would in a house.... just remember that. ive never had to replace a floor, but we do need a fridge and freezer since it went out in ours.... a new camper fridge.... 1500 bucks.....

#876654 - 08/30/09 06:32 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: Brandon A]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
well anything in a travel trailer will cost u 3 times more than it would in a house.... just remember that. ive never had to replace a floor, but we do need a fridge and freezer since it went out in ours.... a new camper fridge.... 1500 bucks.....

y not buy a smaller house fridge for your camper?

Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167

#876720 - 08/30/09 06:58 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: DSST_Construction]
Stoney Online   content

THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bowie/Lewisville
I have actually done the floor replacement. Heres the catch, you can't just cut the old stuff out and lay the new in. They put the plywood/OSB down first then build the trailer around it. You have to get the old wood out that is under the "walls" of the trailer. It's a bitch, I ain't going to lie to you. Best bet is to make the section from two pieces then slide them under the walls.Also there is some black "netting/fabric" underneath, it holds the insulation up.Remove this carefully and save, if not it's about $100 forthis stuff for a 21' trailer. You can do the job, it just takes time and patience.

#876724 - 08/30/09 07:01 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: Stoney]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: craigr
I have actually done the floor replacement. Heres the catch, you can't just cut the old stuff out and lay the new in. They put the plywood/OSB down first then build the trailer around it. You have to get the old wood out that is under the "walls" of the trailer. It's a bitch, I ain't going to lie to you. Best bet is to make the section from two pieces then slide them under the walls.Also there is some black "netting/fabric" underneath, it holds the insulation up.Remove this carefully and save, if not it's about $100 forthis stuff for a 21' trailer. You can do the job, it just takes time and patience.

what about doing what i plan on doing with just going over the original wood with new wood and puting the stick on tile after that. my trailer is only a deer lease trailer so i doesnt have to be perfect.
what do yall think about what i might end up doing

Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167

#876732 - 08/30/09 07:06 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: DSST_Construction]
Brandon A Offline

THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda/Gonzales/Victoria
Originally Posted By: Texas_White_boy
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

y not buy a smaller house fridge for your camper?

we are, well we are buyin one of those mini fridges for a couple hundred or even less!!! only thing is, that i live in this camper on the weekends and all summer, and my bro has been livin in it for a yr or 2 now, but is about to move into his new house.... hopefully we can make the mini fridge fit in the old fridges spot! but maybe, the insurance will cover it.

#876764 - 08/30/09 07:28 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: DSST_Construction]
craige Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Cuthand,TX

what about doing what i plan on doing with just going over the original wood with new wood and puting the stick on tile after that. my trailer is only a deer lease trailer so i doesnt have to be perfect.
what do yall think about what i might end up doing [/quote]

I don't know what the problem would be in doing this, its just a camper for the lease. It doesnt have to be perfect.

#876832 - 08/30/09 08:02 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: craige]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: craige

what do yall think about what i might end up doing

I don't know what the problem would be in doing this, its just a camper for the lease. It doesnt have to be perfect. [/quote]

thats what i was thinking, hey i got a question for you, whats under the trailer to attach to? is there metal angle every 16" or what. i planned on using a long self tapper and marking the (studs) with a stud finder? any thoughts on that

Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167

#876854 - 08/30/09 08:13 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: craige]
dawaba Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Big Eddy Road, Noonday
I don't know why trailer manufacturers always use particle board for the floor. If it gets wet from a roof leak or a water spill you will get a soft spot that eventually caves in. That was the case in the trailer I bought for hunting several years ago. AND, the flooring goes right under the stud walls, so it's might-near impossible to pull up the old flooring. So, we did this:

We pulled up the old carpet and bought and cut plywood (1/2" cdx) for the floor. We did the entire floor, not just the soft spots, so we'd have a level surface. Then we tacked down the old carpet. In the kitchen area, where there was originally linoleum, we found a scrap piece of carpet and cut it to fit. Now, the entire trailer is carpeted.....much better for your little footsies on cold mornings.

You have the right idea, except that I wouldn't bother with the stick down tile. It's an additional expense when you can find an old chunk of carpet most anywhere. And don't forget to fix the leak that caused the soft spot in the first place.

#876872 - 08/30/09 08:16 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: dawaba]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: dawaba
I don't know why trailer manufacturers always use particle board for the floor. If it gets wet from a roof leak or a water spill you will get a soft spot that eventually caves in. That was the case in the trailer I bought for hunting several years ago. AND, the flooring goes right under the stud walls, so it's might-near impossible to pull up the old flooring. So, we did this:

We pulled up the old carpet and bought and cut plywood (1/2" cdx) for the floor. We did the entire floor, not just the soft spots, so we'd have a level surface. Then we tacked down the old carpet. In the kitchen area, where there was originally linoleum, we found a scrap piece of carpet and cut it to fit. Now, the entire trailer is carpeted.....much better for your little footsies on cold mornings.

You have the right idea, except that I wouldn't bother with the stick down tile. It's an additional expense when you can find an old chunk of carpet most anywhere. And don't forget to fix the leak that caused the soft spot in the first place.

how did you attach the new wood to the old wood?

also i will go with the stick on tile because it easy a heck to clean up, carpet holds in all the dirt and other crap in it.

Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167

#876884 - 08/30/09 08:24 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: DSST_Construction]
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: On the Way
T_W_B,

Just glue it down with constrcution glue or subfloor glue. You could also put some screws in, but you don't need to.

Remember to leave enough space under the doors for them to still open.

#876890 - 08/30/09 08:27 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: Moose K]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Moose Knuckles
T_W_B,

Just glue it down with constrcution glue or subfloor glue. You could also put some screws in, but you don't need to.

Remember to leave enough space under the doors for them to still open.

alright, sounds good, the doors open to the outside so i dont know what would be the problem? also would you go with the tile or carpet

Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167

#877031 - 08/30/09 09:10 PM Re: Replacing a floor in a travel trailer [Re: DSST_Construction]
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: On the Way
I wouldn't use tile for two reasons:

1. It's porous which will perpetuate the rotten floor problem.

2. It's heavy.

If the carpet bothers you, glue down linoleum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide