Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: pigpen] #994606 10/28/09 04:19 AM
S
Shorthair Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Again, you know nothing of what you speak of. Trees are hard to find up here even at Gruver,Tx Hansford county...spend three days there as an agronomist. Trees hard to find alive or dead. I've messed with you for the second year in a row on this forum....baggin my hunts. I feel as if your a envious fan and jealous that we hunt and not just read the forums. Show me different as of now......dont post of my threads then...I'll know for a fact your not envious or jealous of us. Just read and keep your negitive comments to yourself. Thank you. There are enough people hear that feel I offer them a great hunt for their money......I know you've read the positive. good luck....and save your commments!!!!

Upper Texas panhandle pheasant!!
Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: pigpen] #994609 10/28/09 04:19 AM
P
pigpen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
For your further information, when you are talking of farmers spraying for weeds, the only time it is going to make a difference is when it is wheat. Common practice to try for weed-free wheat. Wheat is a preferred nesting area. If you have weedy wheat stubble, the brood is more apt to find high protein insects/better aerial escape cover from above like hawks. The latter he wheat harvest, the higher the survival rate of chicks. Sir, i have farmed,ranched, hunted, fished, and lived outdoors as much as possible ever since i was able to crawl outside. If you find fault with me, it is a personal nature and not one of truth. Good day to you and carry on.

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: pigpen] #994618 10/28/09 04:25 AM
P
pigpen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
jeez oh peat- what is your problem? Go ahead and make money, i dont care. I will laugh all the way to the bank and have some left. I said tree deadfalls. I never said trees=good habitat. I am talking about some cedars for winter protection, old dead trees that died and fell over around abandonded homesteads. Obviously you have never been to ks or sodak to see what prime phez country is. I have no beef with you. I commented on the guy prior to those counties of Wilbarger, Haskell, Knox and Baylor and I said those counties lack CRP land and adequate grass/weed cover. You want to make this into a war, I do not.

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: pigpen] #994656 10/28/09 04:49 AM
S
Shorthair Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S

Again, a pic to prove a point within seconds of your comment. I'm an CCA agronomist for 22 years now and also a hunter that can provide pics to debate a case. Case is you have no idea of what your speaking of. If you dont have the knowledge or proof (pics) dont comment!!! The guy in the above post is all correct...the cover there could provide great area for pheasant. And you had to give it your usual neg. twist. He is also correct that if given wild pheasant the numbers would establish at a faster rate than to just release pen raised birds. We up here in the TX panhandle have everything he mentioned but TREES and we received no where near the rainfall in those counties. Its habitat difference your after. The more variation in habitat the better off you are on your bird numbers.....This offers cover for predators!!!! food,cover and water. Crp grass is what we have over his area, not that big of a deal. We really dont have that many weeds, due to facts stated in my above post. Annual rainfall is way less than those counties he mentioned. And we sure dont have dead or alive trees. Summer row crop, irrigation, and as of now crp grass. Let me let you know (FYI) as of this year the crp program is over. He is right on in my book and what he stated, in those counties all they need is 800 to 1000 wild pheasant and they should see some numbers hold. You gave it a neg. twist and shed no light to is post. You speak of no knowledge on this subject. Above (a pic) pheasant eggs in a wheat crop. Prove your response and add merit to your post. Provide pics and resourses, thats what I ask. Dont dumb it down with Blah,Blag,Blag....let the experts answer and learn something. Proverbs 17:14 Proverbs 17:28 Listen and Learn.
O, I was an agronomist in Meade,Ks for 11 years right out of college. Those are called shelterbelts, installed after the dirty 30's. Yes, KS. has trees on the south side of 80% of the sec. up there, not great pheasant habitat. Great quail habitat. Been there and done that. Not a war, no!! Just asking from now on you back your advice or comments up with pics or resourses.

Last edited by Shorthair; 10/28/09 05:31 AM.

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: Shorthair] #994689 10/28/09 05:19 AM
S
Shorthair Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Now those chicks that hatch from those eggs will move out to green habitat....weeds. The wheat in the pic is dead...no chlorophyll= the green pigment in plant cells. The green weeds or crops now become the host to insects (protein). Insects=protein to young chicks. So with protein you are off to a good start with young chicks. Wheat is a good nest ground found all over the TX, OK and KS states. Wheat is harvested in the months of June to July in these states. And as you can see by the proof (pic) chicks are fixing to hatch. Which means they need to move from that (habitat) to another. Chloropyll (habitat) which is a host to protein. At this time of the year Chloropyll can be found in young milo,corn, cotton and weeds all grown in the states listed above. Other habitat is brush and trees, both good for quail and pheasant (roosting). Crp grass is good for nesting but provides little host to insects (protein). Crp grass is really good for nesting, it really provides little cover for flying predators, but some. The best all around crop is summer row crop...corn,milo and cotton. All filled with chloropyll, and insects (protein)and excellent cover. The next variable is WATER. With irrigation you can provide water. Other than that you depend on rainfall. The TX panhandle has irrigation but little rainfall. Other parts of the three states mentioned receive significant amounts of rainfall compared to the TX panhandle. So with cover and wild pheasant those areas should do well. Wild Pheasant introduction being the key, due to survival rate with predators.

Last edited by Shorthair; 10/28/09 05:29 AM.

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: pigpen] #995057 10/28/09 01:53 PM
F
flushem_crushem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted By: pigpen
Shorthair- sorry if i am ruining your business on here. Not my intentions, but obviously you are $$$ hungry and dont want that taken away from you. WHATEVER. The guy in the prior post was talking of these counties specificaly-Wilbarger, Haskell, Knox and Baylor. I guess you havent lived in the panhandle that long. Those counties ARE NOT in the panhandle, so settle down. As far as gruver, stratford, yea, good areas for phez. I just rather not pay $200/day for something that I can get drivin another 1.5 hrs for free. Cracks me up, you money-sucking leaches. Have fun, i will be shootin four cocks/day, while ur clients gettin 3/day. I will still have $$$$$$ after my trip. Your clients wont, so pipe down. Thanks.

I can promise you, shorthair is not money hungry. And by the way when I come back from his pheasant hunts I still have plenty of money. Cracks me up that some people are feeled with so much anger because they cant make a living providing quality hunts.

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: pigpen] #995724 10/28/09 05:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
weedy CRP?

Last edited by jgiles; 10/28/09 05:41 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: pigpen] #995773 10/28/09 05:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: pigpen
I commented on the guy prior to those counties of Wilbarger, Haskell, Knox and Baylor and I said those counties lack CRP land and adequate grass/weed cover. .

Just an FYI before you jump the gun you need to check into those Counties CRP Revenue..

FYI there is no lack of CRP.

PS: I don't hunt with shorthair.. but I do own a little bit of land just north of him : )

Last edited by jgiles; 10/28/09 06:02 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1001020 10/30/09 03:22 PM
T
txninja Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I have lived in the Panhandle for 21 years and I have to agree with SHORTHAIR. Pigpen you obvisouly dont know this area and the birds here. I have hunted the Panhandle from Perryton, Gruever, Spearman, Dumas, Dalhart, Hereford, Planview, Tulia, and a step outside Amarillo city limits. We have the birds, we have no I mean no trees, not much water, but we do have the grain and cover. It doesn't take much to raise a good pheasant crop here, just rain at the right time in the spring to get the chicks a good start. I'm not a scientist and don't know shorthair or care if he makes any money, I just see a lot of birds, thus know we have a lot of birds.

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt [Re: pigpen] #1001121 10/30/09 03:57 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Originally Posted By: TJC3
Does anyone have experience with pheasant hunting in the Panhandle. What towns or organizations can you recommend for setting up a pheasant hunt? Thanks for any help you can give me.
up

Quote:
up cheers
Thanks to all for sharing some good information. Let get back to the OP discussion. Step back and get a cup of coffee and enjoy it. If you are having a problem hit the Notify Mod Button. James up

coffee
6. We promote a friendly atmosphere for hunters to exchange ideas. Differences of opinions are welcome and are an important part of this format. We do not, however, tolerate those that try to start an argument with every post. If you are looking to agitate people, simply to get a response or if you are a troller, this is not the place for you. Warnings are issued and if the behavior continues, administrators will revoke posting privileges.

7. No personal attacks – if you disagree with someone, state your case intelligently and back it up with facts. You will be warned once. If the behavior continues, you will be banned from the forum for at least a month and possibly permanently. DO NOT HARASS PEOPLE WITH EMAIL OR VIA PM WHEN YOU HAVE A DISAGREEMENT ON THE FORUM.

8. Do not try to solve personal problems live on the forum. Most of the members aren't interested in watching you and someone else resolve your problems live on the THF. If you are concerned about an interaction with someone and are interested in resolving it, send him or her an email (if they offer an email address in their forum profile). If you don't get a response, just let it go. They may not be interested in communicating with you. If you feel the need to make a public apology about something or to someone, please do so, however, if you don’t get a response, just let it go.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide