Re: Game Warden Question [Re: HWY_MAN] #7648132 10/31/19 01:13 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
There are two sides to every story. I don't know the op from adam, but I can definitely see a potential other side. You see him being a lazy pos, I see him as having a grandson that was raised right. As a teen in the same position I would have told my Opie, God rest his soul, to get back to camp get a cup of coffee and I'd have his deer there in a jiffy.

OK. So can you see any reason for him to become belligerent and angered by the visit? Can you see any reason for him to still be angry and belligerent about it two years later? His actions and his alone created the whole situation, had he turned around when he met his grandson and went and retrieved and tagged the deer this would have been a non story. And like you said there is two sides to every story, this is only one side might surprise you what the other has to say.

First question I'd ask the Warden is what was his reason for going to that particular camp? Was he dispatched there, was he already in the area, did he see something, hear something? Another good question would be what time all this took place?

I don't know what happened there any more than you do. I think it speaks volumes that the warden gave him a warning. Ive never been given a warning when I was angered and belligerent towards a law enforcement officer... ive never been belligerent with one though.

I don't like people on our place that don't need to be there. We got checked by the warden with a clean bill of no violations and friendly conversation. When he left I as politely as possible told him I didn't think he should have a key to the lock on our gate and would appreciate it if he didn't use it again.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7648136 10/31/19 01:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Well, no one can accuse us of not getting the most out of this post. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: redchevy] #7648144 10/31/19 01:25 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't like people on our place that don't need to be there. We got checked by the warden with a clean bill of no violations and friendly conversation. When he left I as politely as possible told him I didn't think he should have a key to the lock on our gate and would appreciate it if he didn't use it again.

And we make sure he has the combination to every gate on the ranch and welcome anytime.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7648151 10/31/19 01:27 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

beat that dead horse good huh?

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7648152 10/31/19 01:27 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

It's cold as hell out here ( 18 degree's) and I'll be busting ice all around the ranch, just putting it off.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: HWY_MAN] #7648158 10/31/19 01:32 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

And we make sure he has the combination to every gate on the ranch and welcome anytime.

I got nothing against the law enforcement. I don't contact the sheriff and police give them a key to my house and tell them to come check on me anytime they please either.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: HWY_MAN] #7648162 10/31/19 01:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

It's cold as hell out here ( 18 degree's) and I'll be busting ice all around the ranch, just putting it off.

Have another cup, they can bust puddles till you get there. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7648164 10/31/19 01:33 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Have another cup, they can bust puddles till you get there. smile

Good day for coffee all day heres to yal cheers

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: redchevy] #7648206 10/31/19 02:12 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by redchevy
Yeah maybe, or maybe he is just 80 years old. My old man is only in his 50's and he hasn't loaded or gutted or tracked or skinned... you get the picture... a deer or fish he got when my brother I are with him since I was 10 or 12 years old and he is in fine health. I figure I owe a lot to him may as well do as much as I can.

Plain and simple a lot of yal don't like the op and your letting it turn you into a bunch of bickering negative Nancie's.

Originally Posted by Stub
That is a great point only if the OP has health issues? If he did have health issues but healthy enough to hunt, he could have at least followed or gotten in the truck with his grandson and rode with him and filled his tag out in the truck and had his grandson put it on the deer where it laid.

Yeah maybe, or maybe he is just 80 years old. My old man is only in his 50's and he hasn't loaded or gutted or tracked or skinned... you get the picture... a deer or fish he got when my brother I are with him since I was 10 or 12 years old and he is in fine health. I figure I owe a lot to him may as well do as much as I can.

Plain and simple a lot of yal don't like the op and your letting it turn you into a bunch of bickering negative Nancie's.

My whole point and a logical one is if he is in good enough condition/health to go to his blind, pull the trigger and briefly look for the deer until his light goes out then drive back to camp, then he is probably healthy enough to either follow or go with his grandson to tag the deer he shot and is legally obligated to tag it where it lays. And again if he has respect for the game laws and life in general he should want to set a good example for his grandson right?

I have zero against the OP, do not know him, do not think I have ever said a negative about him?

Last edited by Stub; 10/31/19 02:14 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7648212 10/31/19 02:14 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
He made an effort to tag the deer. I think the warden saw it that way to and gave him a warning.

Looks like his grandson already had a good example and took care of business.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: redchevy] #7648224 10/31/19 02:23 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
He made an effort to tag the deer. I think the warden saw it that way to and gave him a warning.

Looks like his grandson already had a good example and took care of business.

Okay I get it the glass is half full regardless up

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Dink Dodger] #7648226 10/31/19 02:25 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Dink Dodger

It's ok for you to say the same thing as everyone else since you're the big city lawyer, but any other peon saying the same thing is holier than thou.

You are a walking talking contradiction

^^^^^

You already said "Lawyer", that covers a lot of redundancies.
wink

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: redchevy] #7648265 10/31/19 02:58 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
There are two sides to every story. I don't know the op from adam, but I can definitely see a potential other side. You see him being a lazy pos, I see him as having a grandson that was raised right. As a teen in the same position I would have told my Opie, God rest his soul, to get back to camp get a cup of coffee and I'd have his deer there in a jiffy.

Yeah, that was my thought on it as well. As long as tags are being expended, everything else is just silly.

I got nothing against the law enforcement. I don't contact the sheriff and police give them a key to my house and tell them to come check on me anytime they please either.

And that's how 99% of people feel.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7648274 10/31/19 03:11 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Strange bunch.

Seems it all depends on who is telling a one sided story as to how other folks react to it.
If it was your story about your interaction with a GW most would profess to be in the right (100% truth, by gawd), but any of them other folks, of course the GW was right.
You know the laws - you got lucky, you should a, or could a, or I would a, 15 yard penalty for un sportsman like conduct, hang him.

Threads like this can't get any funnier, irony & hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Obvious - Hook, line & sinker.

Or is it oblivious.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Rustler] #7648279 10/31/19 03:14 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Rustler
...irony & hypocrisy knows no bounds.

And arrogance.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7648302 10/31/19 03:48 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
The real moral to this story has nothing to do with following rules or proper attitudes towards LE, but rather learn to shoot your damn rifle accurately to limit the needs of tracking and flashlights

At your age and obvious shooting issues (remember when we changed your screen name to DH4 as in 4 shots to zero your rifle) it might be time to hang it up?

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: titan2232] #7648315 10/31/19 03:57 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by titan2232

At your age and obvious shooting issues (remember when we changed your screen name to DH4 as in 4 shots to zero your rifle) it might be time to hang it up?

I have no clue on the name change but if you gotta be able to zero a rifle in 4 shots I bet the majority of the state is out on hunting then.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: redchevy] #7648324 10/31/19 04:09 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F

A post by DH3........................ rofl

This list is for NEWBIES. You might not agree with some or all,,if so, YOU are NOT a newbie!
1.Get in your blind one hour BEFORE official sunrise.
2.Take something to drink (Hot or Cold) and a snack that is packaged in something that will NOT MAKE ANY NOISE.
3.Sit at the back of the blind and in one corner (if possible).
4.Use a shooting rest (sandbag or a commercial, eared rest)
5.To pass the time, take a small transistor radio AND EARPHONES.
6.If you position your shooting rest properly, you should be able to brace your elbow against the inside of the blind (maybe a cross brace) with the rifle foreend in the rest. It should be almost as steady as a benchrest w/sandbags.
7.Use ONE window (the one that faces the feeder/foodplot. More windows allow for deer to see your body or head swivel...not a good plan.
8.Place the vertical crosshair just a smidgen behind the front leg and the horizontal crosshair 1/3 of the way up from the deers sternum.
9.Sight in your rifle, BEFORE you go hunting. Use the SAME ammo that you used to sight in to hunt.
10.A pair of heavy duty pruning shears makes the job of removing the deers legs at the joint very easy.
11.After your deer is tagged, be sure to fill in the back of your license to indicate date and location of your kill (Wardens will catch you on this one).
12. Try to get your deer skinned and the meat cooled out (or on ice) as soon as possible after the shot. It will make a big difference in the taste of your venison.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: fadetoblack64] #7648328 10/31/19 04:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64

This list is for NEWBIES. You might not agree with some or all,,if so, YOU are NOT a newbie!
2.Take something to drink (Hot or Cold) and a snack that is packaged in something that will NOT MAKE ANY NOISE.
6.If you position your shooting rest properly, you should be able to brace your elbow against the inside of the blind (maybe a cross brace) with the rifle foreend in the rest. It should be almost as steady as a benchrest w/sandbags.
7.Use ONE window (the one that faces the feeder/foodplot. More windows allow for deer to see your body or head swivel...not a good plan.
8.Place the vertical crosshair just a smidgen behind the front leg and the horizontal crosshair 1/3 of the way up from the deers sternum.
9.Sight in your rifle, BEFORE you go hunting. Use the SAME ammo that you used to sight in to hunt.
10.A pair of heavy duty pruning shears makes the job of removing the deers legs at the joint very easy.
11.After your deer is tagged, be sure to fill in the back of your license to indicate date and location of your kill (Wardens will catch you on this one).
12. Try to get your deer skinned and the meat cooled out (or on ice) as soon as possible after the shot. It will make a big difference in the taste of your venison.

That’s actually a pretty good basic list for the newer hunters. I modify #7 by using all windows but with camo netting on them.

Someone ought to start a thread like that again for the new guys.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: redchevy] #7648414 10/31/19 05:23 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Sniper John

You shot a buck that ran off. On the way back to camp to get a flashlight you meet your grandson who has a light. You go on to camp and hang out while your grandson alone goes to your stand to track a deer that ran off, find the deer, by himself load up the deer, then drive back to the cabin with it. Is that the way I read this?

Lazy, age, or health never crossed my mind. I just think this is highly unusual.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: redchevy] #7648437 10/31/19 05:51 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

I have no clue on the name change but if you gotta be able to zero a rifle in 4 shots I bet the majority of the state is out on hunting then.

LOL... yeah, if what I see at the rifle range is any indication, I would guess that somewhere over 80% of people can't zero a rifle in 4 shots. I think the only thing that is evidence of is that someone can't zero their rifle in under 4 shots....

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7648454 10/31/19 06:13 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64

That’s actually a pretty good basic list for the newer hunters. I modify #7 by using all windows but with camo netting on them.

Someone ought to start a thread like that again for the new guys.

ITs #11 that had me laughing as its what this thread is all about and the OP made the list

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7648511 10/31/19 07:31 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Binary

LOL... yeah, if what I see at the rifle range is any indication, I would guess that somewhere over 80% of people can't zero a rifle in 4 shots. I think the only thing that is evidence of is that someone can't zero their rifle in under 4 shots....

Stands to reason though (more than four shots). Different than 'checking' your scope/rifle from the last time you shot it.

Even IF you sight your rifle in with two shots (print one shot, move reticle over to it) you still should shoot a 3 shot 'group' to verify point of impact... then wait for the barrel to cool and shoot one 'cold bore' shot...which can print in quite a different place. Although there is no shortage of nimrods at most rifle ranges, some are shooting more than 4 shots to be thorough.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7648565 10/31/19 08:34 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I believe that was our previous argument. He bore sighted, zeroed, and went hunting with only four shots. Never bothering to shoot for a group.

It was a while ago so can't recall exactly

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: titan2232] #7648606 10/31/19 09:23 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I believe that was our previous argument. He bore sighted, zeroed, and went hunting with only four shots. Never bothering to shoot for a group.

It was a while ago so can't recall exactly

Ahhh.....got it. Thanks

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/31/19 09:24 PM.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide