Forums46
Topics538,876
Posts9,742,488
Members87,122
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #7615266 09/24/19 10:29 PM
hookem48 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by Erathkid
So the room is dark. It wasn't. I saw the video of the cops coming in as back up. You're saying he should have noticed her uniform, but she couldnt tell it was not her apt? Shes the trained professional. There were very few things on the walls. No fru-fru women's stuff. Watch the video. What if had been one of your family members? Would you say,"oh well, she had a hard day". It was a mistake. Dont taze me bro.

100% every red-blooded American should all be concerned if she gets off.

X2

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7615288 09/24/19 10:56 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Man 1 8-15 would have been a gift.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: BigPig] #7615296 09/24/19 11:05 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Originally Posted by pegasaurus

Does anybody here think she should get away with this?

And if she does what is your take on that?

If the facts are proven as she presents them.... and this is truly mistake of fact that she believed she was in her apartment.... What CRIME did she commit?

Pretty simple and why I don’t understand the fascination with this case.

Maybe she planned this out and is using that as a defense. In that case she should hang.

It matters not WHAT APARTMENT SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS IN, it matters that she didn't back away, call for back up, and prevent an escape. Instead she just started shooting. If any of us did the same thing, in either scenario, we'd be toast. Same should happen to her.

Love your argument though, I am sure there are plenty of criminals in jail that would like to use the "I really believed what I did was legal" defense...
bang

She was OFF-DUTY, and Texas is a NO-RETREAT state. So no, she did not need to back away, call for back up, and prevent and escape.

Lots of people in here and the other thread are clearly arm chair lawyers and need to spend more time reading penal code and statutes.

Do I believe “mistake of fact” is the correct charge? YES

Do I think she will walk away a free woman? Nope. The lead DA stated when he took office that he is going to prosecute police officers to the highest extent of the law. He proved that with Roy Oliver (I do think he got what he deserved) but I do firmly believe that he is out for blood again. He loves to not prosecute the people that elected him, funny how that works.

Do you think she should be held to a higher standard because she's a Leo?

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7615327 09/24/19 11:35 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
SA, no I don’t think she should be held to a higher standard. I just want her held to the same standard we all are held to.

The on duty/off duty argument means nothing to me either. This guy was not threatening, he was unarmed, and posed to material risk to her as a person or a LEO. So what I am saying is she shouldn’t be held to a higher or lower standard than us non-LEOs, she should be held to a human standard. She made a mistake. There should be some consequences when you shoot someone to death even if it is a mistake. This was no accidental discharge. This was intentional to kill. Her mistake. Her punishment. Should she be sent to jail for life or anything like that? No. But there needs to be some sort of consequence to her recklessness. My father in law has a childhood friend who has been sitting in prison for killing someone while driving drunk. Mistakes have consequences. His was intentional in that he drove while knowingly intoxicated. Her mistake is that she took her gun out and fired without being completely aware of her surroundings and bearing. Should have consequences.

Edit: lol, I didn’t even realize your question was directed at someone else...oh well, I answered too. Hope you don’t mind

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 09/24/19 11:36 PM.
Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: Texas buckeye] #7615333 09/24/19 11:42 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
SA, no I don’t think she should be held to a higher standard. I just want her held to the same standard we all are held to.

Mistakes have consequences. Her mistake is that she took her gun out and fired without being completely aware of her surroundings and bearing. Should have consequences.

Yep. She deserves a long prison sentence, IMO.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7615676 09/25/19 12:01 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
A lot of audio presented yesterday of Ms. Guyger proclaiming how she screwed up and mistakenly shot a guy thinking it was her apartment from other officers' body cams. Also quite a bit of video of her on her cellphone as they are tending to the imminently deceased. The appeared lack of extreme concern is not a great look in the case and I predict will be quite damning to her efforts. Don't think she will get straight murder but negligent homicide or manslaughter is more likely. A mistake in fact and walking away with no jail time looks pretty far fetched IMO.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: Texas buckeye] #7615869 09/25/19 03:15 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

The on duty/off duty argument means nothing to me either. This guy was not threatening, he was unarmed, and posed to material risk to her as a person or a LEO. So what I am saying is she shouldn’t be held to a higher or lower standard than us non-LEOs, she should be held to a human standard. She made a mistake. There should be some consequences when you shoot someone to death even if it is a mistake. This was no accidental discharge. This was intentional to kill. Her mistake. Her punishment. Should she be sent to jail for life or anything like that? No. But there needs to be some sort of consequence to her recklessness. My father in law has a childhood friend who has been sitting in prison for killing someone while driving drunk. Mistakes have consequences. His was intentional in that he drove while knowingly intoxicated. Her mistake is that she took her gun out and fired without being completely aware of her surroundings and bearing. Should have consequences.

Edit: lol, I didn’t even realize your question was directed at someone else...oh well, I answered too. Hope you don’t mind

Lol, not at all.

I completely agree.

If I was in that situation I would plead guilty, and throw myself on the mercy of the court. To try and get off, is chicken chit to me.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7615912 09/25/19 03:52 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
If the glove dont fit

you must acquit

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7615939 09/25/19 04:08 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I think this is interesting to see if she can get away with killing another person based on her word alone. Her word and actions are very questionable.
This could set a bad model for others to use, if she gets away with it.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: Texas buckeye] #7616056 09/25/19 05:50 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P

So, I am starting to think that the interest is an emotional thing and not related to anything specific.
People are interested because there is a possibility that she can be let to walk free because of a circumstantial mistake.
It is an emotional thing to think about how someone can be killed in their own home and no one held criminally liable.
Someone dies at the hand of another and someone has to pay. An eye for an eye, I guess.
People feel that punishment of any sort will make them feel better rather than trying to rationalize a mistake.

I nor anyone else here knows what really transpired that evening. We only know the outcome. It is clear to me that her conviction is already written and we are going thru the motions to figure out her punishment. Heck, I heard this morning that one of the jurors said during selection that they already know she is guilty of murder but there is a possibility that they might be convinced otherwise. wtf How does anyone get a fair trial with people like that being accepted in the jury?

Heck for all we know she might have been planning this for months and was using her adulterous relationship as a cover. If that is the case, I am all for letting her rot in prison.
If this is truly a mistake, she should walk free. Maybe some sort of civil penalty might be in order though.

The thing is, this happens all the time. SWAT doing “no knock” raids on the wrong house and killing the homeowners.
Police officers killing someone because they mistook a phone or something in the persons hand as a weapon.
People kill or injure others everyday because of mistakes. When those situations are determined to be “mistake of fact” everyone kicks the dirt and we move on. But the person that actually pulled the trigger has to deal with that for the rest of their life.

Most of the people on this forum are LTC and carry every day for our own protection. This circumstance could be anyone of you. What if you felt your life was threatened and you had seconds to react. In that moment it is either you or them. What are you going to do? You have been practicing your draw and marksmanship for that moment and you decide to draw your gun. Once that gun is in front of you all you have to do is make the choice NOT to use it. Again it is them or you.

I feel for the family’s loss of their son, brother, friend.... But what about loss of the other family’s daughter, sister, friend that might spend time in jail because a jury has already convicted her and are just going thru the motions to punish her.
Do two wrongs make a right?? Nope, but it feels good. So let’s do it anyway.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #7616065 09/25/19 06:01 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P

If I was in that situation I would plead guilty, and throw myself on the mercy of the court. To try and get off, is chicken chit to me.

I don’t believe you but I’ll play along.

To what crime are you going to plead guilty?

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7616079 09/25/19 06:24 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

So, I am starting to think that the interest is an emotional thing and not related to anything specific.
People are interested because there is a possibility that she can be let to walk free because of a circumstantial mistake.
It is an emotional thing to think about how someone can be killed in their own home and no one held criminally liable.
Someone dies at the hand of another and someone has to pay. An eye for an eye, I guess.
People feel that punishment of any sort will make them feel better rather than trying to rationalize a mistake.

I nor anyone else here knows what really transpired that evening. We only know the outcome. It is clear to me that her conviction is already written and we are going thru the motions to figure out her punishment. Heck, I heard this morning that one of the jurors said during selection that they already know she is guilty of murder but there is a possibility that they might be convinced otherwise. wtf How does anyone get a fair trial with people like that being accepted in the jury?

Heck for all we know she might have been planning this for months and was using her adulterous relationship as a cover. If that is the case, I am all for letting her rot in prison.
If this is truly a mistake, she should walk free. Maybe some sort of civil penalty might be in order though.

The thing is, this happens all the time. SWAT doing “no knock” raids on the wrong house and killing the homeowners.
Police officers killing someone because they mistook a phone or something in the persons hand as a weapon.
People kill or injure others everyday because of mistakes. When those situations are determined to be “mistake of fact” everyone kicks the dirt and we move on. But the person that actually pulled the trigger has to deal with that for the rest of their life.

Most of the people on this forum are LTC and carry every day for our own protection. This circumstance could be anyone of you. What if you felt your life was threatened and you had seconds to react. In that moment it is either you or them. What are you going to do? You have been practicing your draw and marksmanship for that moment and you decide to draw your gun. Once that gun is in front of you all you have to do is make the choice NOT to use it. Again it is them or you.

I feel for the family’s loss of their son, brother, friend.... But what about loss of the other family’s daughter, sister, friend that might spend time in jail because a jury has already convicted her and are just going thru the motions to punish her.
Do two wrongs make a right?? Nope, but it feels good. So let’s do it anyway.

Do you have a link about the juror with pre-conceived "guity of murder"? I cannot imagine that person was seated on this jury.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7616140 09/25/19 07:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Pegasaurus, please tell me how she feared for her life? She was entering an apartment...she could have easily just walked back out confused2

Instead she continued to enter feeling someone was in 'her" apartment (despite nothing looking like her apartment other than the walls maybe being the same color) and so she decided to continue in and attack the "aggressor" who happened to be sitting on a couch eating ice cream. How was this fear of life supposed to take place?

Your example of swat and police going to the wrong house is at least in the LOD and with court granted orders and warrants. This was off duty and she was under no such directive to clear her apartment of aggressors. That was her choice. It ended up being a wrong choice, but not a mistake of fact.

As I mentioned before, if she were the one sitting in her apartment and someone came into her apartment and she fired, its a different ballgame. But the fact she was entering and could have easily exited with no blockage of the exit/entrance, makes a big difference to me.

I am not emotional about this, and I have not sentenced her to any guilt as I don't know all the facts. If I heard the whole case I could judge it based on the facts of the case, but in my mind the mistake of fact defense is flimsy at best and is not helped by the fact I have read she was distracted, it is patently obvious she was unaware of her surroundings, and then fired on an unarmed and apparently non-threatening guy.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: fouzman] #7616142 09/25/19 07:19 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by fouzman
Do you have a link about the juror with pre-conceived "guity of murder"? I cannot imagine that person was seated on this jury.

I will see if I can find a link but they were talking about it on the radio 570 AM this morning.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: fouzman] #7616143 09/25/19 07:20 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by fouzman

Each side of the trial only gets so many strikes to use, maybe the defense was out of strikes and had to admit this person to the jury?? When I reported for a jury trial, each side was only allowed 3 strikes for potential jurists. They had to make a jury out of the people present for jury duty.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 09/25/19 07:20 PM.
Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7616144 09/25/19 07:21 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Pegasaurus, not sure why you are hung on the mistake of fact issue of this case? Do you feel if your son or daughter was in the couch and got shot dead by someone "invading" their apartment you would feel the same way?

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: Texas buckeye] #7616152 09/25/19 07:35 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Pegasaurus, please tell me how she feared for her life? She was entering an apartment...she could have easily just walked back out confused2

Instead she continued to enter feeling someone was in 'her" apartment (despite nothing looking like her apartment other than the walls maybe being the same color) and so she decided to continue in and attack the "aggressor" who happened to be sitting on a couch eating ice cream. How was this fear of life supposed to take place?

Your example of swat and police going to the wrong house is at least in the LOD and with court granted orders and warrants. This was off duty and she was under no such directive to clear her apartment of aggressors. That was her choice. It ended up being a wrong choice, but not a mistake of fact.

As I mentioned before, if she were the one sitting in her apartment and someone came into her apartment and she fired, its a different ballgame. But the fact she was entering and could have easily exited with no blockage of the exit/entrance, makes a big difference to me.

I am not emotional about this, and I have not sentenced her to any guilt as I don't know all the facts. If I heard the whole case I could judge it based on the facts of the case, but in my mind the mistake of fact defense is flimsy at best and is not helped by the fact I have read she was distracted, it is patently obvious she was unaware of her surroundings, and then fired on an unarmed and apparently non-threatening guy.

1. No duty to retreat. Especially in her own home. . Also see #6
2. She believed it was her home, not his.
3. Reportedly...... She gave commands he didn’t follow.
4. She was in full uniform with a gun pointed at him and yet he still continued to approach.
5. Reportedly...... He was shot at a distance of 13’. At that distance a non-responsive male approaching her is a huge threat and also no longer at a safe distance to retreat from. He could close that gap before she could even get out of the way.
6. She has a different mindset than you in that she has had extensive training to not retreat from a threat.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: Texas buckeye] #7616166 09/25/19 07:41 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Pegasaurus, not sure why you are hung on the mistake of fact issue of this case? Do you feel if your son or daughter was in the couch and got shot dead by someone "invading" their apartment you would feel the same way?

Would you feel the same way if it was your son or daughter that walked into the wrong apartment by mistake and killed someone else’s son or daughter?
I will bet you would not be wanting to throw the book thrown at them and would be using the laws at hand to defend them??

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7616190 09/25/19 07:58 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
[quote=Texas buckeye]
4. She was in full uniform with a gun pointed at him and yet he still continued to approach.
5. Reportedly...... He was shot at a distance of 13’. At that distance a non-responsive male approaching her is a huge threat and also no longer at a safe distance to retreat from. He could close that gap before she could even get out of the way.
6. She has a different mindset than you in that she has had extensive training to not retreat from a threat.

1 - Not in her own home. Had no reason to be in his habitation. See 30.02 of Penal Code if desired as well.
2 - See #1
3 - See #1
4 - See #1
5 - See #1
6 - See #1

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7616222 09/25/19 08:30 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Yeah she made a mistake and I'm sure it was totally an accident.

Unfortunately you are still responsible for your actions no matter how much of a mistake or accident it was. No way she should totally get away with it.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #7616252 09/25/19 08:49 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
[quote=Texas buckeye]

1 - Not in her own home. Had no reason to be in his habitation. See 30.02 of Penal Code if desired as well.
2 - See #1
3 - See #1
4 - See #1
5 - See #1
6 - See #1

Ok Counselor..... Can you explain how Sec. 30.02. BURGLARY, applies to this case?? confused2
But if you want to play that card..... It further strengthens her defense that she did not commit Burglary. Specially if she believed it to be her own home. Plus “reportedly”..... she did not do so “with intent to commit a felony, theft, or an assault.”

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7616254 09/25/19 08:50 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
She’s done. The lead investigator of the Texas Rangers took the stand today, he stated that he does not believe there was an offense committed.

This testimony was not in front of the jurors. The judge decided to not allow his testimony to be presented to the jurors. She’s [censored].

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #7616263 09/25/19 08:53 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
[quote=Texas buckeye]

2 - See #1
3 - See #1
4 - See #1
5 - See #1
6 - See #1

I just can’t understand how people keep bringing no duty to retreat, SYG, Castle Law when she wasn’t in her home.

It was his home. She went into the wrong home. How can you SYG or have no duty to retreat if it’s not your home? Seems like that would obviously nullify stand your ground, no duty to retreat and Castle Law.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: pegasaurus] #7616281 09/25/19 09:10 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Ok Counselor..... Can you explain how Sec. 30.02. BURGLARY, applies to this case?? confused2
But if you want to play that card..... It further strengthens her defense that she did not commit Burglary. Specially if she believed it to be her own home. Plus “reportedly”..... she did not do so “with intent to commit a felony, theft, or an assault.”

No intent is required - re-read the statute closely: A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner, the person: ... enters a building or habitation and commits or attempts to commit a felony, theft, or an assault.

I'm sure they'll argue no felony or assault, but the definition of assault is: intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another

I'm done with the case until we hear a verdict. I hope everyone's dreams are fulfilled.

Re: What is it about the Guyger trial.... [Re: BigPig] #7616284 09/25/19 09:12 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
She’s done. The lead investigator of the Texas Rangers took the stand today, he stated that he does not believe there was an offense committed.

This testimony was not in front of the jurors. The judge decided to not allow his testimony to be presented to the jurors. She’s [censored].

To your point, she was done as soon as she pulled the trigger. White on black, his house, no trouble getting a prosecution on that one.

Whatever the facts of the case and the law state, she was done as soon as she pulled the trigger. Its an unfortunate effect of the times we live in.

Dallas will have a chit show riot that takes place if she gets acquitted. We all know it, the judge and prosecution know it, its is the inevitable. Sad but likely outcome of a chit show that shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide