Print Thread
Mean Lab #6398 10/26/04 04:45 AM
H
Hugowt17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I have a year and a half old male lab, he was stolen when he was about 6 months old and luckily we got him back about 2 days later, but he has always been somewhat aggressive, he has never bitten anyone but sure lets them know that he doesnt like them, he also will fight other dogs, i think that the fighting other dogs is just him being jealous because we spend so much time with him. Is there any thing that I can do to get him over this, he is already fixed and it seemed to work maybe a little but sure didnt cure it.

Re: Mean Lab [Re: Hugowt17] #6399 10/26/04 05:00 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Mine does sort of the same thing. She isn't aggressive with other people but she really dislikes other dogs. If she's with me and someone brings another dog around she gets really aggressive. I keep her in a kennel in my pasture and she gets upset when I mess with my Great Pyrenees. I have to lock him up in the barn lot before I can let her out or she will try and pick a fight with him. I don't know why she is this way. When I'm not out in the pasture she doesn't seem to mind that he is around.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Square Up Archery & Lightning Bowstrings Staff Shooter
Re: Mean Lab [Re: Hugowt17] #6400 10/26/04 11:47 AM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I will reply with my .02. An aggressive dog has no place in our homes! If you want a guard dog that is fine but if your pet or working dog shows signs of aggression, that is not acceptable! You need to teach Rover that if he is aggressive towards people of other dogs, he will meet your wrath! Show him YOU are Alpha male and top dog! There are many ways to fix this. As dog owners, we have a responsibility to make sure we do all we can in insure there safety as well as others. What happens if little Fifi comes in the yard and your dog attaches it.......... With this "see you in court" society we live it, YOU BET someone will want to Sue for negligence. If you want to learn how to fix this, PM me.

Re: Mean Lab [Re: TexasHeat] #6401 10/26/04 05:46 PM
H
Hugowt17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I agree with you in a way but its not like i created him this way, and im sure not going to put my best hunting dog and best companion down because he is aggressive, as far as getting in trouble for him biting another dog, you can keep him in the yard and on a leash when he is out. So what are your sugestions about this issue.

Re: Mean Lab [Re: Hugowt17] #6402 10/26/04 06:06 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
There are a few ways to correct it.Takes a firm hand! Try to set the dog up so it will act out towards another dog or person. Get the dog on lead and use a pinch collar, NOT a chock collar. Walk him on lead to a dog, as soon as he tries to be aggressive, Pop him with that pinch collar and tell him NO NO NO and get him on his back and Hold him down, BAD DOG!! He needs to LEARN this! He may try to bite you and if he does, DO NOT go to ER and say your dog bit you!!! You will have animal control all over you and they MAY take the dog if he has not had current shots!!! TRUST ME on this! Try to be consistent. Hold a high standard, if he acts out, let him know with a firm hand what the outcome will be!

Re: Mean Lab [Re: TexasHeat] #6403 10/26/04 09:21 PM
H
Hugowt17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I think that is about all someone can do for this but im not sure if your going to change the instincts of an animal with repremand. But thanks though. Will definatly give it a shot.

Re: Mean Lab [Re: Hugowt17] #6404 10/27/04 04:34 AM
A
Alloutdoors Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Ditto Texas heat. Your dog has to learn that he's not the boss. There are lots of resources on the web that will address how to accomplish this. I'm not a pro trainer, so take this for whats it's worth. Many loyal dogs, and labs are instinctively loyal, will show aggression toward other dogs, they see them as a threat to you. This isn't always a bad thing. But, unless you live in an isolated place, and don't hunt w/ other dogs, it's sure to cause problems. If the aggression is srictly towards other dogs, then hunt him alone, and don't train or exercise around other dogs. If the aggression is toward people, I would consult a pro trainer. And I bet you wouldn't like what they tell you. No dog is worth the risk of an injury to a family member, friend, or even a total stranger.
Good luck
Greg

Re: Mean Lab [Re: Alloutdoors] #6405 10/27/04 11:46 AM
bankrunner Offline
Tracker
Tracker
texasheat your dead on right. We are responsible for training our dogs how to behave and react with society, not how society will react with our dogs. My 2 cents, be consistent, be firm which means you do not have to be cruel in order to convey the training to your dog. My lab is protective of me, but knows when I am out with her working marks and around other dogs that it is not acceptable for her to act aggressive in any manner including that familiar low rumble in the chest. She knows her place in the pecking order of our home and family.... just stay consistent and do not confuse your dog with mixed signals.... good luck !

In Memory of my 36 yr old nephew Paul Dobbins that lost his fight to cancer... Never GIVE UP !!! He fought it hard and was determined all the way to the end to beat it.
Re: Mean Lab [Re: Hugowt17] #6406 10/27/04 12:17 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
You will be surprised! Do the drill and keep on him! He just my get the idea!

Re: Mean Lab [Re: TexasHeat] #6407 10/27/04 03:36 PM
H
Hugowt17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Thanks for the info, As far as biting someone that is not going to happen he has never growled at anyone inside of my house and they only way he is exposed to people is on a leash out for a walk or something, but i do need to get him to be comfortable around people, do any of you guys reccomend any trainers that I would be abel to contact and talk to about this. Thanks.

Re: Mean Lab [Re: Hugowt17] #6408 10/27/04 03:41 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Check your PM's

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide