Print Thread
Well...Turkey Feathers! #5335670 10/01/14 07:34 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Opening day was long and hot. The morning was quiet with no shows at the gravity feeder. The bucks on my game cam have been enjoying the all you can eat buffet around midnight and are always gone by dawn. But the turkeys seem to have discovered the spillage and had been coming around pretty regular so I waited until around 3 in the evening. Sure enough a mess of birds came around for clean up on the corn crumbs.

This is my first year bow hunting, first day shooting from the stand and my first arrow to draw on a live target. I picked a large hen that was pointing away, drew back, aimed and let if fly. That's when I heard my bow thump off of the shooting rail. hammer I had left the rail down with the intention of perhaps securing the blind covering to it sometime in the future. I watched the arrow fly perfectly straight towards the center of the back...only it hit about 4" low and right near the birds butt.

To my shock I watched the arrow go low, hit the bird and then bounce back! I have shot the same type G5 broad-head through a block target and had to dig it out of a tree that was three feet beyond it.

Looking back, it was kinda funny seeing that bird scooted forward like it was skiing on water, feathers popping out everywhere. It didn't fly away and the rest of the birds just kinda stared at it like 'what is up with Henry?'.
They all did begin to get nervous and moved away before I could get another arrow in place.

I spent the rest of the day making adjustments to the blind, removing the factory seat, installing a small canvas seat, brushing in the legs, folding the shooting rail to the back and most importantly...practicing drawing and shooting through the two main vertical windows.

Having that first adrenaline filled shot out of the way is a good feeling and at least I did see something for the 40lbs of corn I put out. When I called my wife she just laughed and said,' That poor bird will probably whistle when it flys'!

I went back Monday and installed a feeder with a timer to hopefully reduce my corn consumption and have the critters there when I am. Sitting over 9 hrs in a hot blind for turkey feathers Is kinda hard on the old bod. Still beats going to work though! grin

2nd Amendment: Use it or loose it.
Re: Well...Turkey Feathers! [Re: Oakysmoker] #5336267 10/01/14 04:22 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I'll trade ya. You can work for me and I'll fill your seat in the stand!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Well...Turkey Feathers! [Re: Bullfrog] #5341730 10/04/14 09:03 PM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
I'll trade ya. You can work for me and I'll fill your seat in the stand!

Point taken Bullfrog! Was a fun day being schooled by the turkey's and the Texas weather, still better than being at work!

2nd Amendment: Use it or loose it.
Re: Well...Turkey Feathers! [Re: Oakysmoker] #5342588 10/05/14 02:32 PM
B
bjankowski Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I just got back yesterday after spending five days at the ranch; let some young bucks walk. Pigs were out late, the only arrows I flung were at my broad head target, but had a blast. I'm taking my 12 year old grandson out his week end and I'm sure I'll let him shoot all the rabbits he wants that come out every morning about 8:00 A.M. I'm only after one buck this year; if he comes within my trad bow range I'll shoot him otherwise I still have venison in the freezer I need to eat.

A bad day in the woods beats a good day at the office.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide