R
If you want to bow hunt get a compound

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: chevygirl] #5354970 10/12/14 06:02 AM
A
Anytimeoutdoors1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
There all tools in my tool box. I pull out the right one for the rite job and get it DONE!!

"Anytime outdoors"
Guide Service
Slingin Hooks or slingin Arrows
anytimeoutdoors@gmail.com
Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5357271 10/13/14 03:48 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
It's actually a spear. I keep that string on it so I can safely lift it into my tree stand.
roflmao

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: chevygirl] #5358824 10/14/14 03:25 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
You gotta go with your heart and gut feeling. I personally think if you want to "bowhunt" then you need to try a bow. Although I do not feel a crossbow is a bow I understand its applications and respect everybody's choices. And believe me, I have heard the cries about what crossbows will do to our archery only seasons. Its all a fallacy. Crossbows will/are not the ruination of archery seasons. I hunted with selfbows from 1994 to 2010 and longbows the past 4 years. My traditional and primitive archers disagree with me but I have two eyes and ears and a brain. Choose what you want and like and don't worry about what others think. If your not up to practicing year around and limited range go with a compound. When you can't pull it back for whatever reasons go with crossbow.....or wait till gun season.

Just get out there and enjoy the oudoors. Life is too short

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: jshouse] #5358881 10/14/14 04:17 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: unclebubba
Actually, that was a stupid comment. For some reason, my thought traveled from my brain to my hands and completely changed once typed in. What I was getting at was that in my experience, it is not uncommon to get a second shot at a deer within bow range. I have no clue as to why I even typed the word rifle. bang

thats a pretty "stand up" response bubba, now you know we dont like no nancy boys admitting when they are wrong round here now... grin

I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken. woot

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: chevygirl] #5359163 10/14/14 01:12 PM
R
RodBreaker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
IMHO there is no thrill like harvesting a deer with a compound bow. The thrill of knowing that you can actually do it. I know its legal but I feel that using a crossbow is just for lazy and unskilled hunters.

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: chevygirl] #5359185 10/14/14 01:22 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
And if you were harvesting them with a self made bow you would say the same thing about compound bows as you are about crossbows.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: passthru] #5359197 10/14/14 01:29 PM
R
RodBreaker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: passthru
And if you were harvesting them with a self made bow you would say the same thing about compound bows as you are about crossbows.

That may have been a little harsh to call them lazy and unskilled but I do feel its basically like shooting a gun. No skill needed.

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: chevygirl] #5359207 10/14/14 01:33 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
The only way I see cross bows as "easier" to hunt with is you don't have to draw on the animal. I had 8 deer around me, including a six or seven year old 9 point, when I needed to shoot a doe who was suspicious and spooky Sunday evening. Getting the right moment to draw and not spook one of the deer around me and getting the shot off was the hardest part. A 17 yard shot isn't hard with a peep and pin sighted compound. That same shot with a traditional bow would be iffy for me.

Get out and hunt. If a compound works better for you, hunt with it. If a crossbow allows you to be deadly and lights your inner fire, hunt with it. If you are good, really good, with traditional gear and can put them down regular with it, hunt with it. We need to stop judging each other by what we hunt with.
Making the comment that someone is lazy or unskilled because of their choice of equipment is unfair. Is that the case for some? Maybe. For others it is their only choice due to age or health issues. Maybe they work 60+ hours a week and can't get to a range to practice. Maybe they don't have a mentor to help them learn to shoot well with a vertical bow. But it is legal, it is putting a few hunters in the woods who wouldn't be before and I say more power to them.

That said I think a crossbow kill ranks a little above a rifle kill. Compound a little higher and traditional is the pinnacle of archery kills. So if you want to impress me with a kill show me your self made bow, arrows, broadheads and ground blind posed by the little doe you just got. To me, that is the real deal.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: chevygirl] #5359274 10/14/14 02:05 PM
H
Hill Country Stalker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I have shot both compound and crossbow, they are both a blast to shoot. I was researching compounds for a while and then I had to have back surgery right in the middle of hunting season. I could not shoot a gun and there was no way I was not going to be in the woods during season. I ended up with a crossbow due to the fact that I wasnt able to draw a compound back (doctors restrictions). I bought the crossbow and the hand crank assembly and never looked back. The other thing I like about the crossbow is that its not just set up for me. Anyone can use it and not have to worry about draw length, etc.... I could give anyone a few safety instructions and they would have no problem hitting a target at 25 yards on their first shot.

I would say look at your circumstances and go from there. Good luck with whatever you decide

BUCK
Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: chevygirl] #5359291 10/14/14 02:12 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
cross bow is heavier and louder, and only a little faster than high end upright bow... unless you are handicapped in a way that keeps you from drawing I don't understand why u want a cross...

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: chevygirl] #5359292 10/14/14 02:13 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I hunt with a recurve, compound and crossbow it just depends on which stand the choice of which is based on wind and how I feel that day. As far as how I feel about a kill with he 3 types of bow equipment. Compound and crossbow the same recurve is more of an accomplishment to me.

Not sure how some of the compound shooters will feel about this but if they really want to experience archery hunting go traditional. I have setup new archers with a compound and with a little coaching and a pro] rely tuned bow fitted to them they were shooting 2.5 inch groups at 20 yards within 30 minutes, at least 2 of them have killed deer cleanly less than a week after buying their first compound. With today's compounds sights releases.... it just is not that difficult to become proficient enough to hunt with a compound

Last edited by kmon1; 10/14/14 02:21 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: passthru] #5359607 10/14/14 04:02 PM
R
RodBreaker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: passthru
The only way I see cross bows as "easier" to hunt with is you don't have to draw on the animal. I had 8 deer around me, including a six or seven year old 9 point, when I needed to shoot a doe who was suspicious and spooky Sunday evening. Getting the right moment to draw and not spook one of the deer around me and getting the shot off was the hardest part. A 17 yard shot isn't hard with a peep and pin sighted compound. That same shot with a traditional bow would be iffy for me.

Get out and hunt. If a compound works better for you, hunt with it. If a crossbow allows you to be deadly and lights your inner fire, hunt with it. If you are good, really good, with traditional gear and can put them down regular with it, hunt with it. We need to stop judging each other by what we hunt with.
Making the comment that someone is lazy or unskilled because of their choice of equipment is unfair. Is that the case for some? Maybe. For others it is their only choice due to age or health issues. Maybe they work 60+ hours a week and can't get to a range to practice. Maybe they don't have a mentor to help them learn to shoot well with a vertical bow. But it is legal, it is putting a few hunters in the woods who wouldn't be before and I say more power to them.

That said I think a crossbow kill ranks a little above a rifle kill. Compound a little higher and traditional is the pinnacle of archery kills. So if you want to impress me with a kill show me your self made bow, arrows, broadheads and ground blind posed by the little doe you just got. To me, that is the real deal.

Agreed on the self made

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: RodBreaker] #5360039 10/14/14 07:56 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Montec Menace
IMHO there is no thrill like harvesting a deer with a compound bow. The thrill of knowing that you can actually do it. I know its legal but I feel that using a crossbow is just for lazy and unskilled hunters.

Spear, rock, Trad, knife and bare hand all trump your compound.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5360175 10/14/14 09:21 PM
R
RodBreaker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Well seeing as how the post asked about compound vs crossbow. Who gives a rats arse about "Spear, rock, Trad, knife"?

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow [Re: RodBreaker] #5360209 10/14/14 09:36 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Well seeing as how the post asked about compound vs crossbow. Who gives a rats arse about "Spear, rock, Trad, knife"?
Just wanted to point out while you beat your chest on your high horse that you're not at the top of the pyramid.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide