Print Thread
Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? #5341908 10/04/14 11:21 PM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
This being my rookie season bow hunting I have my arrows equipped with 100g Montec G-5 broadheads. They are crazy sharp and tough and fly really true, as an unexpected encounter with a coyote proved. Once while practicing one passed completely through the foam block and buried up into a tree. Had to carefully pry it out of the wood!

So, imagine my shock and awe when I watched one of them bounce off a turkey's butt. The turkey was facing away from me and I shot for center of mass shot (shooting from a tree blind). The wind had pressed the wall of the blind into the lower limb and threw my shot at least 5" low. It tore feathers loose, but just bounced back.

After much adjustment to the blind...and missing another turkey completely, I fired several test shots from the blind to my target at the same location and realized I a range/pin correction was needed. So, late yesterday afternoon when the birds rolled in for happy hour I finally had ideal conditions. When a big fat hen got into range I drew back and let one fly. The arrow went just over the top of the wing but and appeared to have found the mark! Bird danced a bit with arrow dangling and started wobbling. I called my buddy on the cell, told him I finally had one and to come over ASAP.
The birds all slowly migrated across the field. I slipped down from the stand and walked straight over to the location I last saw the bird. There I found the arrow on the ground and no blood. Was shocked and discouraged when I noticed a little movement out of the corner of my eye. The hen was squatting down in a dense clump of scrub. I got as close as I could, about 10 yards, and shot another arrow. I fully expected the bird to just drop like the coyote did. Instead, it busted up up and away.....letting me kiss my arrow goodbye.

So, brethren of the bow, I am in need of your guidance and wisdom. Are the G-5s good and I am just not hitting in the non-armored part of the bird? Should I seek out an armor piercing point? Are broadside ground shots better than death from above angles?

Like I said, the G-5s are crazy sharp and I later on I did get a small hen with one, but it also took two arrows. It was wounded and hiding when I came across a coyote doing the same thing as I was, looking for turkey! The wind was me and he was fixated on the birds, one shot and he was done, no problem whatsoever.

2nd Amendment: Use it or loose it.
Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5341968 10/05/14 12:13 AM
J
JThoele Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
It is the Indian not the arrow in this case.

Any cut on contact fixed blade on the market will slice thru a turkey at reasonable range with a bow of 50# or greater. It's not the broadhead's fault.
Google image "turkey vitals zones for archery", practice, and next time use one arrow to kill one turkey rather than using up a quiver and maiming two birds before you kill one.

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5342010 10/05/14 12:58 AM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Shoot em with a Grim Reaper and watch em drop.

Oklahoma NWTF State Board
Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
Owner of Hang 'em High Game Calls
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: JThoele] #5342050 10/05/14 01:21 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: JThoele
It is the Indian not the arrow in this case.

Any cut on contact fixed blade on the market will slice thru a turkey at reasonable range with a bow of 50# or greater. It's not the broadhead's fault.
Google image "turkey vitals zones for archery", practice, and next time use one arrow to kill one turkey rather than using up a quiver and maiming two birds before you kill one.

Obviously that is my goal and what I fully expected (and have been practicing for six months) to have happened. My bow is currently set at 55lbs. and I am shooting from 25 to 30yds. I can nail an oak leaf on the ground in that same area...and once I modified the blind so that it wouldn't blow back against the lower limb, which it did on my first shot, accuracy has not been an issue.
Thanks for the helpful advice though!

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Nolan Outdoors] #5342053 10/05/14 01:24 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: Nolan Outdoors
Shoot em with a Grim Reaper and watch em drop.

You are the second person to recommend them, and for whitetails too. Thanks! Nice bird!

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5342098 10/05/14 01:53 AM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Get some Guillotine heads or bullheads and take off their heads no meat loss that way.

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5342126 10/05/14 02:07 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Oakysmoker
This being my rookie season bow hunting I have my arrows equipped with 100g Montec G-5 broadheads. So, imagine my shock and awe when I watched one of them bounce off a turkey's butt.
I do not believe this is what happened. What I do believe PROBABLY happen was that the arrow went completely thru the bird and hit something on the other side, causing the arrow to bounce back, making it look like it bounced off the bird. Happen to me only on a ram. Shot a painted dessert ram and the arrow sliced thru it so quick and hit a rock on the other side, it bounced back. My nephew was videoing the hunt and we both just looked at one another, not believing what we thought we just saw. Then I could see the blood come pouring out.
As far as killin a turkey, my motto is,
"If you want them dead, Lop off their Head"!!! grin

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5342130 10/05/14 02:12 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Increase your draw weight to at least 25 pounds.

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5342389 10/05/14 10:56 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
A lot of breast and gut on a turkey. Vitals area is small and deep under breast muscle. Like mentioned earlier. Look at the turkey vitals then plan a shot to reach them. Or get a broadhead designed to take off the head.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5342528 10/05/14 01:47 PM
J
joshd23 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Green rage turkey broadheads work great. Ive always heard full pass through on a bird is not always good. More blunt force the better. And you want as much internal damage as possible.

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: sqiggy] #5342565 10/05/14 02:13 PM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: Oakysmoker
This being my rookie season bow hunting I have my arrows equipped with 100g Montec G-5 broadheads. So, imagine my shock and awe when I watched one of them bounce off a turkey's butt.
I do not believe this is what happened. What I do believe PROBABLY happen was that the arrow went completely thru the bird and hit something on the other side, causing the arrow to bounce back, making it look like it bounced off the bird. Happen to me only on a ram. Shot a painted dessert ram and the arrow sliced thru it so quick and hit a rock on the other side, it bounced back. My nephew was videoing the hunt and we both just looked at one another, not believing what we thought we just saw. Then I could see the blood come pouring out.
As far as killin a turkey, my motto is,
"If you want them dead, Lop off their Head"!!! grin

That makes more sense than what I thought I saw! Since that shot was deflected low it must have passed right through tail feathers, hit a rock.. bounced back.. startled the bird. Thanks for the insight, it helps a lot!

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5346937 10/07/14 09:25 PM
C
clear creek 89 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I use crimson talons and have never had a problem dropping them!

[Linked Image]
Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5347821 10/08/14 05:46 AM
B
Bubba270 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Use a 270 lol. I say take the head off that way if you miss nothin is hurt runnin off in the woods and if you hit well its dinner time.

I eat everything I kill and I am to fat to be a bad hunter.
Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5352910 10/10/14 08:36 PM
B
basschsr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Muzzy MX3 or MX4 fixed blades work great for me but shot placement is definitely more the issue. They are tough animals and don't let the "pros" on here get to you. Learn, practice and try to do better the next time out. I have hit a few birds that I didn't recover and any bowhunter that says they have recovered everything they have shot is either very lucky or lying about it. Turkeys: Hit 'em high, watch 'em die - hit 'em low, watch 'em go

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5353094 10/10/14 11:06 PM
R
RangerRick Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I use #4s 3" ...oh snap wrong method blush Haven't gotten drawn back on turkey yet with bow....gotten deer,hogs coyote and black buck...no turkey yet but thought about Arrowdynamic Atom Broadhead might be cool to try!!!

The way things should be are not often the way things are.....
Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: basschsr] #5353318 10/11/14 01:20 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: basschsr
They are tough animals and don't let the "pros" on here get to you.
Actually, turkeys are Fowl, better known as birds!! grin
Now, if I'm going to shoot a turkey with a bow, I'm going to give it a sporting chance by shooting it in the head. If you miss, it runs off, or better yet, gives you a 2nd shot. If you hit, it drops dead right there!!
And no, I'm not a pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Day Inn last night!! partyon555

Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5353598 10/11/14 04:05 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I used a Magnus II on the only one I ever shot with a bow. I shot it from a tripod while it's head was down eating corn and facing me.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Best broadhead to penetrate turkey armor? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5353624 10/11/14 04:37 AM
B
bjankowski Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'd sure like to tell you my Muzzy 200gn will do the job but I haven't had any come to my bow feeder... I guess they like the corn at my gun feeder better. confused2

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide