danceswithquail Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Hard to find on their new website format. Link is below

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/quail_forecast/forecast/

Rolling Plains

Early and midsummer rains fell over much of the Rolling Plains, triggering calling activity and “green up”. The amount of spring and summer rainfall totals was highly variable but an overall improvement from last year. Many reports of a hearty reproductive response received from areas with significant, timely rains. Differing age classes of young have also been reported. Rangelands are in recovery and where grazing has been reduced, prime nesting habitat is definitely more available than last year. Field reports suggest that many areas have improved enough to support limited hunting. Last year’s hot spots will likely improve this season.

The average number of bobwhites observed per route was 7.5 compared to 2.9 last year. This is well below the LTM of 19.7. Despite below average counts, pockets of quail remain in areas with residual cover that received timely rainfall. Public hunting opportunities can be found at the Gene Howe Wildlife Management Area (WMA) and to a limited degree at the Matador WMA.

South Texas Plains

The combination of early summer rain, lower than average temperatures, and decent carryover from last season has resulted in a marked improvement in bobwhite numbers over much of south Texas. Similar to the Rolling Plains, many field reports indicate multiple age classes in broods, suggesting a wider window of nesting opportunity. Reports also suggest that our survey may be an underestimate in several areas where ranch level surveys confirm average to slightly above average numbers. The best opportunities will be on well managed sites with good nesting cover.

The average number of bobwhites observed per route was 11.6 compared to 6.0 last year. This is below the LTM of 17.4 and is predictive of a below average hunting season for the region as a whole. The Chaparral and the Daughtrey Wildlife Management Areas provide public quail hunting opportunities.

Trans-Pecos

Scaled quail numbers remain below average with continued drought over most of the Trans-Pecos ecological region. There were enough mid-summer rains to trigger breeding and nesting activity. Overall, field reports indicate fair scaled quail production with reproductive efforts occurring mid to late in the summer after scattered rainfall events.

The average number of scaled quail observed per route was 6.0 compared to 8.4 last year. This is below the LTM of 15.6. Public hunter opportunities can be found at Elephant Mountain and Black Gap Wildlife Management Areas.

Other Areas

Our surveys indicate that bobwhite numbers are well above average in the Gulf Prairies where 19.9 bobwhites were observed per route compared to 11.3 last year. Bobwhite are less dependent on rainfall in this region, where there is usually enough moisture available for nesting. Habitat conditions in areas of native rangeland are in good condition. Hunters should focus on the central and lower coast in native prairie habitats.

The High Plains Timbers and Edwards Plateau report improvement in quail numbers compared to last year. Although there are certainly areas within each region where some quail hunting opportunity remains, this survey is not designed to detect changes in localized populations, especially in fragmented landscapes.

Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5335830 10/01/14 12:37 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Looks as if we're in for another good one around here.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5337049 10/01/14 11:38 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I just got this email from a friend.

"My lease is loaded! We have to drive carefully from deer blind to deer blind so we don't run over them! I've got 5 little pups that are gonna get schooled this season."

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5344045 10/06/14 12:11 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We pointed 5 coveys in 2 hours Saturday. The cover (weeds) was too thick to really get a good feel about the upcoming season.

[Linked Image]

Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5344052 10/06/14 12:17 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
5 coveys in 2 hours in bad conditions would make my outlook pretty positive.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5344646 10/06/14 06:15 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Me too. Sounds great. Much improved in the Rolling Hills.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5358336 10/13/14 11:59 PM
B
BMCD Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Good read just talking bout this today.

Nitro Fishing Team
Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5364274 10/16/14 11:12 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Excerpts from this were in the Houston Chronicle this morning in a long article.

[Linked Image]

Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5365638 10/17/14 05:26 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Quail used to be thick as fleas at my folks ranch just South of Dallas. I haven't seen a bird there in 20 years.

I'd snag a lease in a heartbeat of it was reasonably priced and had a healthy population of wild birds.

Re: TPW Quail Forecast Posted [Re: danceswithquail] #5366369 10/18/14 02:25 AM
shooterwalter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Glad to hear good reports about quail.

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide