Print Thread
Steps you take #5308432 09/16/14 12:10 AM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Hey y'all this is my second year bow hunting! I am a senior in high school and I'm really hoping to take my first deer with my new bow this season. I was just wondering what steps you take before and during the hunt! So what you do when a deer steps out, do you do anything to your clothes, how do you settle yourselves for example. We didn't have many deer last season but this year looks promising! I'm just trying to get prepared so I can have the best season possible.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308463 09/16/14 12:21 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I keep my release attached to my bow so I don't forget it. I double check the wind before climbing in the stand. When I knock my arrow, I double check all blades are closed on the broadhead (I shoot mechanical). Before the shot, I go through the same preshot checklist I do when I practice; check my lock points, check my grip, touch the tip of my nose to the string and then pick a small spot on the target. Concentrate on the follow through of the shot. This routine keeps me focused and reduces the effect of the excitement. Don't rush the shot, touch the trigger, don't jerk it, and never take my eyes off the spot I picked. Once I hear the fwap... I let the excitement over take me and relish the moment. Then I wait a minimum of 30 minutes and ease out away from where the deer went. I return in the amount of time I think is sufficient based on how I felt about the shot.

Good luck!!! Can't wait to see pics of your first kill cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308548 09/16/14 01:10 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Good luck on your first one. I have only taken one doe so far so not much info to give you grin

Re: Steps you take [Re: txshntr] #5308608 09/16/14 01:30 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I keep my release attached to my bow so I don't forget it. I double check the wind before climbing in the stand. When I knock my arrow, I double check all blades are closed on the broadhead (I shoot mechanical). Before the shot, I go through the same preshot checklist I do when I practice; check my lock points, check my grip, touch the tip of my nose to the string and then pick a small spot on the target. Concentrate on the follow through of the shot. This routine keeps me focused and reduces the effect of the excitement. Don't rush the shot, touch the trigger, don't jerk it, and never take my eyes off the spot I picked. Once I hear the fwap... I let the excitement over take me and relish the moment. Then I wait a minimum of 30 minutes and ease out away from where the deer went. I return in the amount of time I think is sufficient based on how I felt about the shot.

Good luck!!! Can't wait to see pics of your first kill cheers

Pretty well sums it up.

Re: Steps you take [Re: GLC] #5308722 09/16/14 02:09 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I wouldn't worry about killing your first deer this year. Won't happen!!! When that moment comes, you'll be shaking so bad you won't be able to even draw your bow. You may even pass out!!! roflmao
I'm just messin with ya!!!
First thing I do is draw my bow back in the stand. Last thing you want to find out is something that will hinder your shot when that moment happens. Next, I nock an arrow and put my bow on my hanger. I then position my bow where all I have to do is ease my hand up to the grip. Don't know how many times I've had deer on top of me in a split second. So, easy access to your bow with little movement is essential. With that said, learn to shoot sitting down. If wind don't bust you, movement will every time.
And since you're just getting started, practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. The reason why is what I said in the beginning. You will be shaking, can't breathe, your heart racing, and be feeling like you will pass out. You will forget EVERYTHING you have ever learned. But once you get to full draw, the shakes will go away and you will be able to breathe. And all that practice time will kick in to auto pilot and you make the shot!!! up

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308827 09/16/14 02:41 AM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I was wondering the same thing... This is my first year to bow hunt and I've already braced myself to get busted at least once before I get a shot off!

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308944 09/16/14 03:25 AM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Thanks y'all so much! I really appreciate it. I think I am going to take a doe first just so I can get a deer under my belt. Then I will start going after a buck! Or vise versa lol. Keep them coming guys!

Re: Steps you take [Re: CRAnderson52] #5308948 09/16/14 03:28 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Watch the deer and wait until it is turned in such a way it won't see you draw. I set my stands with brush between me and a feeder so that when they put there head down they can't see me. Remember you don't have to shoot the first deer you see. If the shot is not right, wait until you get a good one. Also it is a lot easier to track a deer in the daylight than in the dark. If given a choice, I would much rather shoot a deer in the morning than in the evening.

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308955 09/16/14 03:31 AM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Do y'all put certain marks at certain yardages? The setting I'm in at the stand is a small opening in the woods with a small feeder. I put a tripod in the trees behind it. The shot to the deer will be around 20 yards so I'm just worried about getting busted. I don't know if it's not brushed in enough or if its fine.

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308970 09/16/14 03:43 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I set my feeders at 30 yards and try to leave as much cover as possible. Movement and scent are what gets you busted. Make sure your equipment is quiet and practice drawing while in your stand. Good luck.

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308973 09/16/14 03:46 AM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I planned on practicing from the stand this weekend. I will see if I can post pictures of the set up on here. One more question! When the deer steps out, do you let them get situated or do you go straight for your bow?

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308986 09/16/14 03:58 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: WHACK&STACK
Do y'all put certain marks at certain yardages? The setting I'm in at the stand is a small opening in the woods with a small feeder. I put a tripod in the trees behind it. The shot to the deer will be around 20 yards so I'm just worried about getting busted. I don't know if it's not brushed in enough or if its fine.

If you are fairly in the open, only draw when you can't see their eyes. I like to pour out corn around cactus and small brush or a tree base so they will feed behind something and I can draw then.

I always mark my distances. As a beginner, I would recommend limiting yourself to 25 yards max, maybe even 20. Mistakes are amplified with a bow the farther out you shoot.

In Texas, 30 yards is the farthest I will shoot at a deer. In Kansas, I will shoot out to 40.

I read a story about a guy that bought colored tacks to match his pins and would pin them into the trees at 20/30/40/50 yards so he didn't have to think before he shot. Whichever color the deer was near, he would use that pin.

Good luck up

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308991 09/16/14 04:01 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: WHACK&STACK
I planned on practicing from the stand this weekend. I will see if I can post pictures of the set up on here. One more question! When the deer steps out, do you let them get situated or do you go straight for your bow?

Depends on the circumstances. I don't like to shoot at a jumpy deer. I want them calm when I release the arrow, so I will typically wait and let them settle in. If they walk in like they own the place or are focusing on another deer or animal in the area, let em have it!!

As a side note, I set my morning feed to go off before light. The deer come in and have settled before shooting light. I have noticed they are calmer before the light.

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5308998 09/16/14 04:06 AM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Ok thanks so much! I will let y'all know how this weekend goes

Re: Steps you take [Re: txshntr] #5309425 09/16/14 03:01 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: txshntr
As a side note, I set my morning feed to go off before light. The deer come in and have settled before shooting light. I have noticed they are calmer before the light.

I do this too... It usually takes them 10 mins or so after the feeder goes off to come on in so I have it a little early so they do and then calm down before taking one in the pump house

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5309447 09/16/14 03:16 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
straitjacket

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5309869 09/16/14 07:29 PM
T
Txhuntr2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Take a deep breath and be ready for the heaviest draw of your life when you draw the bow. After siting still and quiet for a long time your muscles will be relaxed even though your mind is pumped. Stay calm and, as previously mentioned, concentrate on all of the things that make you shoot accurately. I even imagine that my arrow is wire guided and try to hold my point of aim until the arrow arrives.

Also, I always hunt with the bow in my lap with an arrow nocked and my release on my wrist. That way there is the least amount of movement possible if a deer appears before you are already.

I also have to drive to my stand from camp. I shower before every hunt then drive to my area, pull my bow hunting clothes from a scent safe bag and get dressed in the field immediately before walking in.

Also, I hunt from a ground blind almost exclusively. Accordingly, camouflage is not needed. I have many pairs of black shirts and a black mesh face mask. I've even worn shorts on hot days. Wear plain rubber boots. They can be washed with plain dawn dish soap the night before to remove much scent.

Trying to decide when to draw was hardest for me, and still can be. I am still in awe of deer within spitting distance of me. They are very easy to spook. You may end up drawing at the wrong time and get busted. Eventually you will learn the way they behave and the first time you are able to draw unnoticed then get a good shot off will be epic. Again, don't shoot at an alert deer, especially a doe.

sorry to ramble. Just train of thought advice. Mostly Be patient and enjoy the quiet and stillness of the woods and the challenge. Any deer is a trophy when bowhunting, especially your first. Enjoy the moment.

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5310109 09/16/14 09:44 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Alright thank you! I plan on taking my target out there this weekend to practice from the stand. I will also change my feeder time to earlier. I think right now its set at 7:30 or 7:15

Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5310270 09/16/14 10:56 PM
F
foodieguy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
All good advice. I'm in the same boat. Last year was my first. One small thing...

I pack all my clothes in a bin and then put some cedar branches in there. Hopefully I smell like a bush. Use whatever you have at your lease so you blend into the background as much as possible.

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: Steps you take [Re: B Razorback] #5317201 09/20/14 06:03 PM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Wait a minute slooooow down. This is hunting not target shooting. Probably the BIGGEST mistake a novice bow hunter makes is getting in the stand. If you blow every Buck out getting to your stand you are going to have some long boring hunts. Are you walking in or driving in? What time do you get in? Are you entering from a feeding or bedding area, any wind? I think you get the picture. Give this some serious planning and consideration before you hit your stand.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide