Print Thread
FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! #5276124 08/28/14 01:03 PM
J
jseabolt Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Please sign this petition, and read the information and background on the ordinance. AND FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS - THIS IS TO PROTECT OUR RIGHTS!

http://www.change.org/p/comal-county-com...bow-hunting-ban - OR GO TO CHANGE.ORG AND SEARCH COMAL.

Here is the story:
Comal County is currently theONLYcounty in the state of Texas to adopt an ordinance specifically banning bow hunting on 10 acres or less within a subdivision in the unincorporated portion of the county.This ordinance was passed in 1993.In researching the minutes and interviewing the sitting county judge (at that time) none of them can recount the discussion or real purpose “why” this ordinance was enacted by the county.Only one person after over 35 interviews of county officials, residents, etc. have been able to recount the story (the current Comal County fire marshal who said he was in attendance at the commissioners court that day) – One citizen came in and complained about an arrow stuck in their house from and adjacent property in a subdivision, this particular resident (now deceased) had a personal relationship with commissioner “Jumbo” Evans and convinced them to use the well known “10 acre rule” by the state of Texas allowing counties to dictate hunting and firearms/bows on 10 acres or less to in act this ban on bow hunting.

Since 1993 the whitetail deer population has seen phenomenal growth within the county, much due to the enactment of this ordinance. So much so, the entire county has epidemic levels of overpopulation of whitetail deer.

This ordinance limits the right of a property owner to protect their investment, cost the county of Comal hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxpayer funds (over 999 sheriff dept. calls to address wounded deer-car collisions in the first 6 months of 2014, 250+ road department pick up of dead deer calls first 6 months of 2014, county landscape/trees damaged by deer). Private party depredation of landscapes, and poses a MAJOR safety threat through vehicle deer, human/deer/pet interactions-disease transfers.In 2011 a woman was killed after striking a deer and veered into the other lane critically injuring to others (this is just one I could find). On top of the overwhelming issue of the health of the deer, many of which are starving, diseases (abdomasal parasites, throat bots, etc.) and causing a profound crisis against the deer population caused by humans.

There are also “holes” in the ordinance (that cause it to represent a significant level of discrimination against a specific portion of property owners – those interested bow hunting) such as:

1.A person can actually shoot a rifle at a “varmint” or “predator” on a lot less than 10 acres in a subdivision in an unincorporated area of the county. See ordinance 316154.

2.A person could shoot (by bow or firearm) a deer on such a lot in many of the incorporated cities within Comal County as that do not have an ordinance against bow hunting.

3.The multiple small acreage lots around the county NOT in a subdivision and less than 10 acres could “hunt” via firearm or bow??? What about the acreage lots less than 10 acres that border these subdivisions?

4.Axis deer/Black Buck/Wild Pigs are non-game animals or “varmints” and a person can shoot these animals (of which there are many in Comal County) with a rifle on a property less than 10 acres in a subdivision – but not a bow as this would be considered “bow hunting”.

5.A PERSON CAN SHOOT A BOW AT A TARGET (OR FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE) ANYWHERE ON 10 ACRES OR LESS BUT ONE CANNOT SHOOT THE DEER STANDING 5 FEET FROM A TARGET!!

Requests has been made to the Comal County commissioners court to address this issue – in a large binder (over 1,00 0 pages of factual data) to each commissioner with data on population in many subdivisions, letters from HOA’s supporting bow hunting, data on county resources spent on the issue, letter from LSBA andTexasbowhunter.com, etc. And they will not move on the issue, the only reason any of them can site is, “we are afraid of upsetting someone”.REALLY??? No fact based information, nothing.

Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: jseabolt] #5276608 08/28/14 05:19 PM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I like the law. Shouldn't be hunting in a subdivision anyway. To many things can go wrong.

Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: Wes70] #5276981 08/28/14 08:24 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
as someone who spends a LOT of time there, in subdivisions, with WAY WAY WAY to many deer per acre... something needs to be done.

I agree that a back yard is too small, I agree it is a slippery slope... I agree that 10 acres is actually pretty small... But I think it is plenty. All laws about crossing fences and roads still should apply... I don't know the answer but it needs to be looked at.

Mark my words if we don't increase the number of deer taken in the hill country subdivision areas you will see tax dollars go to removal. They are OFTEN a danger. My wife was charged by a doe on their place, the border collie she has jumped on the deer... Yes there was probably a fawn near by in the grass. Not blaming the deer just saying number are out of control. Just go drive around the golf course in New braunfels and do a little survey...

Last edited by catslayer; 08/28/14 08:24 PM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: jseabolt] #5277234 08/28/14 09:59 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Like Pecan Plantation at Granbury Lake.

Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: jseabolt] #5277387 08/28/14 11:39 PM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Like Lago Vista outside of Austin. They finally allowed hunting but it was only by city workers and LEOs.

Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: Wes70] #5277395 08/28/14 11:45 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: Wes70
I like the law. Shouldn't be hunting in a subdivision anyway. To many things can go wrong.

Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: jseabolt] #5277401 08/28/14 11:50 PM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Things can go wrong anywhere, this law is pathetic

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: jseabolt] #5278965 08/29/14 08:20 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Yes but an arrow sticking out of the hind quarter of a doe walking around on your lease is a whole lot less visible to the public than one walking around in the sub-division.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: dgilbert] #5278995 08/29/14 08:42 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Like Pecan Plantation at Granbury Lake.

exactly, how much was spent on that deal?

and as far as lago vista that is BS... Are city workers and LEO that much better shots? What makes them so special?

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: jseabolt] #5279028 08/29/14 08:56 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
It's a way to offer a perk to employees whom probably aren't getting raises again this year.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: jseabolt] #5279065 08/29/14 09:16 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I like to hunt deer where I see deer. in part I feel it a bit of a waste to know that such a rich resource is there and nobody able to tap into it. hunting in platted subdivisions can devastate wildlife just as quickly as not hunting can overpopulate it. I don't care that people shoot them or not. I'd rather see them shot and eaten than starve or killed on the roads. you gotta be pretty careful though.

honest thought is just leave them alone and go hunt somewhere where there is enough property for hunting to be an acceptable activity. platted subdivisions of 10ac or less isn't the place.

Outdoorsman
Re: FORCE COMAL COUNTY TO REPEAL BOW HUNTING BAN! [Re: jseabolt] #5279075 08/29/14 09:23 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
those deer are there because they've been condensed down due to habitat loss. not because the population is exploding. density might be exploding.....but its not MORE Deer....its the same number of deer living on less land because of housing development. there are probably honestly more deer killed annually than are born and survive.....its just less and less rural space.

some sort of regulated lottery of being able to bow hunt for them in the places where there was more space might actually be best.

if every 10ac lot in town...started shooting deer....then in however many years it would just be overhunted and there wouldn't be any anymore. the small acreage areas of the county where hunting is not restricted have the worst deer populations....because everyone hunts...the small property size makes for too much hunter density and over-harvesting.

if its that personal to you....just shoot them anyways. nobody will ever know they difference until/unless something goes wrong....at which point you'll understand why they did't want you doing it to begin with.

Outdoorsman
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide