Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? #5193599 07/09/14 09:43 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Specifically hunting whitetail. I purchased one last year about september, for the specific puropse of upping my chances of getting more meat in the freezer. And it worked. I moved further away from my ranch and don't get to hunt as often, so I went fom a compound to a crossbow, in order to maximize all efforts. I only hunt with it during october and switch to a rifle for the rest of the season.

Do you see it as cheating a little? I can see all angles and opinions on the matter, just curious to hear some opinions.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5193606 07/09/14 09:47 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Not really. An experienced archer, compound or even traditional, can shoot as accurately and as far out as a crossbow shooter can/does.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose smile

popcorn

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: chital_shikari] #5193610 07/09/14 09:51 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
[quote=chital_shikari]Not really. An experienced archer, compound or even traditional, can shoot as accurately and as far out as a crossbow shooter can/does.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose smile

I agree, i guess the crossbow takes a bit of the skill out of it. As it is much easier to get a shot off with out near as much movement or motion

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5193611 07/09/14 09:52 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I put it in there with lever guns, black powder, handguns etc.. except its a very good tool for getting a lot harvested with little noise to an area... I have no problem with anyone hunting with them.. got an old-school recurve with irons on it myself...

I still will mainly hunt with a compound though.. just me

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5193647 07/09/14 10:32 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
To me its just another option, and I like options.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5193648 07/09/14 10:33 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I don't care what other people hunt with. I'm not competing with them.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5193836 07/10/14 12:33 AM
T
Team By-God Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Any legal means....

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5193855 07/10/14 12:46 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
It is not about which weapon you use, it is about getting that close to them for the opportunity. I bought a crossbow a few years ago to try. I tagged out in Texas due to friends and landowners wanting some deer meat. There are advantages and disadvantages to them compared to compounds. I really like my compound better, but it is a great way from my girl to get into archery hunting. When she is big enough to pull enough weight to effectively harvest a deer with a compound, I am sure she will switch over.

You put together a popup blind, Caldwell field pod and crossbow....you got a great combination to harvest deer and hogs.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5193858 07/10/14 12:49 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
I started out using the crossbow and than expanded to include the vertical bow a few years ago.

For me it depends on the weather. When it's miserable cold and snowing I use the ground blind and the crossbow. In decent weather I use the vertical bow. Like others have said it increases the options and when legal - why not?

Last edited by Hirogen; 07/10/14 12:52 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Pittstate] #5194035 07/10/14 02:27 AM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
It is not about which weapon you use... I really like my compound better, but it is a great way from my girl to get into archery hunting. When she is big enough to pull enough weight to effectively harvest a deer with a compound, I am sure she will switch over.

And right there is the best reason. Anything that brings more hunters and/or introduces young hunters to the sport is welcomed in my book. Same reason I like to see the youth shooting sports doing so well. Someone has to carry on the tradition AND the battles after we're gone.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5194133 07/10/14 03:33 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I think they should allow iron sighted shotguns, black powder, and pistols in there.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5194320 07/10/14 08:44 AM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

I use a cross bow to extend my season. I have a physical disability that makes me unable to pull and hold a compound bow of any strength. The crossbow, with a windup mechanism, gives me one shot at a deer within the 40-50 yard range that I feel competent in shooting. I still have to get them in that close, so it isn't a given. I'm glad it is available as a legal option for me.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5194792 07/10/14 03:55 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
interesting topic!!! where do you even start on looking for a cross bow, features, arrows, accessories, etc.???

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Team By-God] #5194798 07/10/14 03:57 PM
S
Satch Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Team By-God
Any legal means....

Yup

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Sneaky] #5194806 07/10/14 04:00 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

c'mon sneaky thats no fun, you know this is all a competition, its what drives all the good arguments on this site.... competition with a splash of ego to taste.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Sneaky] #5194845 07/10/14 04:40 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

up

And crossbows aren't a big advantage like people think anyway!

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5194852 07/10/14 04:45 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
In my opinion hunting is hunting. If you can shoot deer in October with a bow you should be able to use any means legal, crossbow, muzzleloader, centerfire rifles and whatever else there is.

If you wish to challenge yourself by bow hunting good for your. I do all 3.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5194862 07/10/14 04:51 PM
T
TomPr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
All the sports stores have them now. I'd get one but I don't get to hunt as much as I would like with the guns and bows I have now. For those who can't draw a bow, its fantastic to get a longer season, which is great by me.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5195408 07/10/14 10:12 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm thinking about switching to one from my compound for one reason.........practice! I don't have time to shoot my compound like I should. I don't want to take the chance of wounding an animal for lack of my ability. Fortunately I have never lost an animal with my bow but I find myself struggling for time to shoot off season. Not saying you don't need to practice with a crossbow.

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: jskin] #5195428 07/10/14 10:25 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: jskin
I'm thinking about switching to one from my compound for one reason.........practice! I don't have time to shoot my compound like I should. I don't want to take the chance of wounding an animal for lack of my ability. Fortunately I have never lost an animal with my bow but I find myself struggling for time to shoot off season. Not saying you don't need to practice with a crossbow.

Its way more time consuming to practice with a crossbow than it is a compound.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: BOONER] #5195433 07/10/14 10:30 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: BOONER

I disagree

How do you figure this?

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Brother in-law] #5195438 07/10/14 10:33 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

I disagree

How do you figure this?

X2 Sighting in with a crossbow might be more time consuming but once it is sighted in it is much easier to practice with for me.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5195483 07/10/14 11:02 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
In a tree stand or open tripod bringing a horizontal bow from your feet or lap to shoulder creates as much or more movement than bringing a vertical bow that is held, cradled, or hanging in a ready position and then drawing.

Holding a horizontal bow that is inherently poorly balanced in an unrested shooting position for a long period of time will cause fatigue and get shaky as fast or faster than holding a vertical compound at full draw considering todays lighter high let-off vertical bows. Especially using a release.

For a new bowhunter buying a compound bow, mounting accessories, choosing correct aluminum arrows, broadhead weight that balance correct with the arrow, paper tuning, and trial and error used to be difficult. Today's bows are better designed, bow shops readily assemble setups for customers and most manufacturers offer package bows ready to go with correct matching arrows. Not to mention better designed arrow choices and the trend of faster lighter arrows with more lethal broadheads. A beginner can easily pick up one of these entry level packages and shoot well enough to hunt in a very short time.

And consider the trend of hunting from pop up blinds and shoot through windows becoming more poular thus movement no longer becomes an issue. Crossbows and vertical compound bows are near equal for that use.

Both have circumstances were one is a benefit over the other. But on average I would consider the crossbow to present the greater handicap. I have hunted with both for many years.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: Brother in-law] #5195610 07/11/14 12:13 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

I disagree

How do you figure this?

Well for me personally I can shoot my compound probaly at a 5-1 rate faster than my crossbow. Well I could when I had one anyway. I sold my crossbow because my compound is way more user friendly and fun to shoot.

Re: Whats your opinion on hunting with a Crossbow? [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5196035 07/11/14 03:12 AM
J
JThoele Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
By all means do I believe a crossbow is a legal, ethical, and efficient weapon, but my frustration lies with the culture of some users who buy one, sight it in the next day and hit a 1 foot by one foot square target 3 for 3 bolts, and assume they are good to go come season. Especially worse and most alarming is the mind set I have seen, heard of "it has a scope and is advertised as shooting 400 fps, that makes it just as good as a (fill in the blank - .30-30, muzzleloader, shotgun slug, etc.) out to 80 yards. I have heard this and face palmed so many times in the past few years. I don't have a problem with a crossbow, but am beyond irritated with the ignorance and laxadazial nature of some people who want to cut corners in archery (learning animal anatomy, limiting shot distances to ethical reason, and taking the time to hone skills of self and equipment), and yet wish to believe they have an "advantage" over a vertical bow.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide