Print Thread
Possible dumb question #5189517 07/07/14 03:34 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
I hung mainly from ground blinds. This will be my second season bow hunting and last year I kinda tried to go all out with the camo and the scent control etcetera. But I see a lot of guys on the tv in their ground blinds with jeans and a black hoodie. See a lot of guys as well at some pay per hunt places that way. I guess what I'm saying is, would it matter one way or the other as long as you hunt the wind, are quiet, etcetera??

" get busy livin' or get busy dyin' "
Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5189567 07/07/14 04:31 AM
R
rjd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I remember watching Fred Bear hunt in plaid shirts and wool pants. Camo is more for hunters than deer IMO. Learning to be still, use the wind, and learn animal behavior serve get you better than spending money on camo. This is just my opinion, and while I do wear camo hunting these days, I grew up wearing jeans and a red shirt. Got within handshaking distance of animals then, and still do. So camo isn't near as important as the makers would have us believe.

Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5189622 07/07/14 05:49 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I have hunted in shorts and a black t-shirt out of ground blinds. No issue and actually prefer black hoodie over camo in a ground blind. I wear camo if I am in a tree or stalking, but like rjd said, it is probably more for me than the animals. Movement and scent are the two key factors that will end a hunt quicker than any others.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5189728 07/07/14 12:52 PM
D
DFWPI Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've killed deer in a white tee shirt and blue jeans before. Hunt the wind, and be still.

Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5190346 07/07/14 07:20 PM
V
VT Outfitter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
V
Its all about matching your surroundings for me. In a blind where it is black, a black face mask is ideal. When you have camo patterns inside the blind I go with a camo mask. When I setup clients in portable blinds or box blinds that have been set there in early summer, or permanent for box blinds, I always be sure to set the blind according to travel patterns and the prevailing wind direction. I also tell hunting clients that it is important that the deer or turkeys cant see in one window-through the blind-and out the other side as I have found this to freak the deer out. Only open what is necessary to view and not line up windows across from one another. An educated deer will travel through a area keeping their ability to scent check the areas they have not arrived at yet, while keeping a watchful eye on where they just came from. A bedded deer will always be watching its back trail and scent checking their escape route. Scent control is important. I promote Scent Blocker clothing for its scent controlling abilities and the outline breakup camo patterns for stalking or treestand hunting. You will never completely eliminate your scent, with clothing or any other product. I am not saying those products for scent elimination doesn't work. It is a fact that we shed skin and hair continuously thus making complete scent elimination impossible. Rather, the effects of a scent cautious hunter is to give the deer the impression that you may have been there at some point and they cant see anything strange or moving, so it must be safe. My routine for scent elimination is...start with a shower with scent free soap before every hunt, antiperspirant stick, a clean mouth, scent control clothing that has been stored in scent free containers, avoid any none woodland scents like bacon or gas, spray down my pack bow and myself with scent control spray, try to prevent any sweating on my way to stand, avoid crossing known deer trails on my way to stand, approach stand locations so to not give any scent to the deer, and keep movements to a minimum while on stand. I hope this helps you achieve your goal.
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott Owner/Head Guide
www.whitetailstrategies.net

VT Outfitter
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott Owner/Head Guide
On The Web-www.whitetailstrategies.net
Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5190909 07/08/14 01:23 AM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
In a ground blind I wear black shirt and black out my face. When I bought the bow I got black because I spend so much of my hunting time in a blind. See pic below, killed her from a ground blind. I cleaned up my face some for the picture.

Oklahoma NWTF State Board
Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
Owner of Hang 'em High Game Calls
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5190978 07/08/14 01:46 AM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I believe having camo on helps at close ranges. I hear the arguments about camo being made for hunters and not deer and the old Fred Bear and his red plaid shirt and the I can sneak up on them in a neon pink wind suit arguments. I believe the critters Fred Bear hunted were not as conditioned to avoid people as the critters are today and Fred Bear was, well Fred Bear. Elk in remote areas are examples of this.

I too have had deer touch my feet with their nose and had more than one dead down wind of me and not run off, but that does not support the idea that deer are scared of my scent.

Camo, in my opinion gives you a slight edge, at close range. I believe some camo is MUCH better than others. Natural Gear, Predator camo, and some other "open" patterns work best in my opinion. In todays market, many camo patterns are made from superior material that also aid the hunter in scent control and most important, comfort.

I for one, need any edge I can get. When hunting from a tree if it helps a little, a little help is all I might need.

Oklahoma NWTF State Board
Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
Owner of Hang 'em High Game Calls
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5191102 07/08/14 03:28 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I also wear a black t-shirt or hoodie in my pop-ups most of the time. It helps a ton with concealment. The big bucks know the blinds are there and try to peak into the holes to look for movement. The black on black (shirt/inside color of blind) help hide a little movement.

Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5191139 07/08/14 03:48 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
And you just wear jeans or what ?

" get busy livin' or get busy dyin' "
Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5191239 07/08/14 10:44 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Inside a popup with black interior, I use a black face mask, black shirt or hoodie and blue jeans. In a tree I wear whatever shirt and jeans with a leafy suit on.

🍻
Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5202496 07/15/14 06:57 PM
N
nateg Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Just limit the light in your blind and you should be good with the black hoodie.

Re: Possible dumb question [Re: freonfreak82] #5210970 07/21/14 06:43 AM
B
bjankowski Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
In a ground blind Black Shirt and mask, most importantly WIND, WIND, WIND!

You can wear a $1,000.00 of the latest camo, bathe in scent away, brush you teeth and comb your hair because your headed back to camp empty handed. If your directly down wind from a deer in a ground blind you will be busted! Scent is far more important than what your wearing.

Re: Possible dumb question [Re: bjankowski] #5212538 07/22/14 02:47 AM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Darker the better, scent control! My argument with most hunting is going to be the impact we create just by becoming something new to a area the deer already know. Entering and exiting, activity and surroundings be changed only a certain time of year. The deer know this and they become more alert. Setting up blind well in advance would be another plus with scent control and matching background camo. My brother drives Dodge Cummins through pasture screaming at dogs in back on regular basis and deer know who and where it is and it's their normal so they aren't that nervous, I can drive my stealthy Ford gas burner out there and it's mass evacuation of wildlife because it's out of the norm for them.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Possible dumb question [Re: RLoving1] #5213235 07/22/14 04:52 PM
B
bjankowski Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: RLoving1
Darker the better, scent control! My argument with most hunting is going to be the impact we create just by becoming something new to a area the deer already know. Entering and exiting, activity and surroundings be changed only a certain time of year. The deer know this and they become more alert. Setting up blind well in advance would be another plus with scent control and matching background camo. My brother drives Dodge Cummins through pasture screaming at dogs in back on regular basis and deer know who and where it is and it's their normal so they aren't that nervous, I can drive my stealthy Ford gas burner out there and it's mass evacuation of wildlife because it's out of the norm for them.

I've seen my little buddy Rloving shoot deer off a tree stand that he just peed off at smoking a cigarette wearing blue jeans. True Story! roflmao

Re: Possible dumb question [Re: Nolan Outdoors] #5213360 07/22/14 06:15 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Nolan Outdoors
I for one, need any edge I can get. When hunting from a tree if it helps a little, a little help is all I might need.

this is how i look at camo, scent control, etc...if an ozonics machine or scentlok clothes or spray help enough, or just long enough, to get the deer in range, then i want it.

everyone says hunt the wind hunt the wind hunt the wind, well you cant always dictate where the deer come from, a million things could happen that day to make that "patterened" deer change course.

and do you hunt with any kind of lure, doe pee, buck in rut, etc? well they have to be downwind of that to smell it, which means they are most likely going to be downwind of you at some point, especially if you are in close with a bow.

if you can afford the stuff, IMO it can only help.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Possible dumb question [Re: bjankowski] #5213517 07/22/14 07:57 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: bjankowski
Originally Posted By: RLoving1

I've seen my little buddy Rloving shoot deer off a tree stand that he just peed off at smoking a cigarette wearing blue jeans. True Story! roflmao

Shot a nice 9 point south of Midland after it walked in through my cigarette smoke!

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide